12%
Big Fun
2%
Water Babies
No votes

Total votes : 43

Fusion-Era Miles Dome

Postby i am the smud on Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:29 pm

For me, it's Jack Johnson. McLaughlin's playing on that album is a thing of unfiltered brilliance.

EDIT: Forgot Water Babies and Big Fun
Last edited by i am the smud on Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We are all Romans unconscious collective/We are all Romans we live to regret it
i am the smud
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Re: Fusion-Era Miles Dome

Postby sulfur)addict on Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:11 pm

On The Corner.
Kerouacian as fuck.

NewDarkAge wrote:why, the fuck, would you post zizek in this thread
sulfur)addict
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby djimbe on Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:18 pm

Water Babies?

probably On the Corner, or Silent Way.

I listened to IASW the most...
djimbe
World War 11 Veteran
World War 11 Veteran

Postby Isabelle Gall on Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:52 pm

I'm going to Get Up With It, for "He Loved Him Madly" and "Rated X" in particular.

No Big Fun option? The edits/panning on the drums and guitar on "Go Ahead John" is fucking amazing. How are they even doing that?
Isabelle Gall
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby SecondEdition on Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:24 am

No In Concert, Agharta, Pangaea or Dark Magus? Those are essential too (maybe In Concert isn't, but the others are), but if you want this to stay limited to the studio, I can't blame you.

I haven't heard every one of the fusion-era Miles albums, but of them all Get Up With It has been the one that has truly sustained for me, with Silent Way and Jack Johnson as close seconds. On The Corner is a totally insane record, but I almost never ever put it on (mostly because I'm not quite in the mood to hear that one bassline again and again for however many minutes), and I've never been quite as won over by Bitches Brew as most of the others.
Life...life...I know it's got its ups and downs.

In the someday, what's that sound.

CS. PC. MM.
SecondEdition
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby P.J. Craven on Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:26 am

When you edit a poll, you lose all your votes. Just for future reference, poll creator.

I gotta go with Bitches Brew for mostly personal reasons.
ty-lot wrote:Sick bro
P.J. Craven
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby 1009 on Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:28 am

I love Miles from the time Tony Williams joined right through about '74, but I was never able to get into Get Up With It at all. I don't think this is a case of not appreciating the aesthetic, as I really like Big Fun. I'd get into my criteria, but it's early and I need a shower.

Bitches Brew for me, but I also really really love the bootleg stuff of the "Lost Quintet," a lot of which is seeing decent-quality reissue at the moment.
Prime numbers and tonal clusters with Radiant Republic.

Bass in the Heavy Bombers We're on the PRF Singles Comp Q1.

Sax with Begin By Gathering Supplies.

Terrible News.
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt

Postby Dudley on Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:08 am

In A Silent Way.

I dunno, increasingly what I really appreciate about Miles is his restraint. IASW manages to feel free whilst being really restrained. Can't really describe it (pretty obviously!)
Seby wrote:How does the sting of marginalisation taste now, you pick-using oppressors?
Dudley

Postby tmidgett on Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:38 am

AGHARTA.

Jack Johnson among these.
tmidgett
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby the Classical on Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:50 am

At a certain point in my life I would have voted On The Corner no question, it would have abeen a no brainer.

Then maybe Jack Johnson, then Agharta, then Get Up With It, then...

Now, man now Bitches Brew all the way, with maybe only the Its About That Time live record (telepathy documented) coming in a close second. BB for a long time I didn't get, it didn't hit me as hard as the other electric records, didn't understand what the deal was. And I thought that way for about ten or twelve yrs. But one day it clicked in a fairly massive way with me and I haven't looked back.

And man I love all these records, a lot, this is all pretty much the best music ever made.

But Bitches Brew

Sony/Columbia should do a damn fancified remaster of Agharta and Pangea like right meow
the Classical
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love

Postby LBx on Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:12 am

I dig In A Silent Way and Jack Johnson. Have only heard the others in passing if at all...

In fact, the above two and Kind Of Blue (half great) is probably all the Miles Davis I'll ever need (unless you can prove me wrong?).
LBx

Postby fredrock on Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:54 am

The only time I saw Miles live was with his Band from Star People/Decoy (@ Park West , no less!!) so I have great affection for that era. Scofield, Bill Evans, Marcus Miller etc=damned potent lineup!!

But In a Silent Way was a game changer for me. I had always been a fan of 7 Steps and loved the mix of personnel and styles; Silent Way had that same vibe but with a totally different sonic approach-I was blown away!

So I'll go with that.

Bitches Brew may have been the album that broke the barrier to the 'wider audiences" looking to grow beyond 60's rock fascination, and therefore his most influential from that era.
Life is just what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
-John Lennon
fredrock

Postby i am the smud on Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:47 am

SecondEdition wrote:No In Concert, Agharta, Pangaea or Dark Magus? Those are essential too (maybe In Concert isn't, but the others are), but if you want this to stay limited to the studio, I can't blame you.

I wanted to keep this focused on the studio albums (with the exception of Live Evil, but that also had studio tracks on it). (IMO, the rhythm section on Live Evil is the best Miles had during this particular phase of his career)

It's a shame that Jazz Fusion as a whole rarely had a bite to it. These albums seem to be an exception to the rule. Mahavishnu Orchestra is the only other band I can think of that brought some menace to Jazz Fusion
i am the smud

Postby tmidgett on Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:57 am

i am the smud wrote:I wanted to keep this focused on the studio albums (with the exception of Live Evil, but that also had studio tracks on it).

Makes sense.

My order:

Jack Johnson (as noted, McLaughlin, and Sonny Sharrock for a minute there)
On the Corner
Get Up with It
In a Silent Way
Bitches Brew
Big Fun
Water Babies
Live Evil

I would call everything down to Big Fun truly great.

It's a shame that Jazz Fusion rarely had a bite to it like these albums. The only exception I can think of is Mahavishnu Orchestra.

I don't mind some Mahavishnu, but all in all it's way too tidy for me.

It was Miles, not the genre. He invented the genre, but it was only great when he did it because he was a genius. He understood rock and funk and psychedelia, deeply. I can't name too many other jazz guys you can say that about, and I can't name too many rock guys who can handle playing jazz.

With a couple exceptions (Pete Cosey, Michael Henderson), he had to kind of IMPOSE it on the players.

What did he tell McLaughlin at the Jack Johnson sessions? "Play like you have no hands?" Something like that.
Last edited by tmidgett on Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tmidgett
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby djimbe on Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:00 pm

i am the smud wrote: Mahavishnu Orchestra is the only other band I can think of that brought some menace to Jazz Fusion

there's some pretty startling Larry Coryell stuff from the early-mid '70's too, but Miles and the Orchestra sorta defined the genre...
djimbe
World War 11 Veteran
World War 11 Veteran

Postby AnthonyCinder on Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:14 pm

I voted In A Silent Way because "It's About That Time" is one of my favorite songs ever. Tony Williams just makes that song.

Get Up With It runs in at second place, just because that album is so fucked. It's sort of terrifying in a way.

Bitches Brew could pretty much tie for second place. It would have probably been my favorite if Miles could have gotten Tony Williams to play on it--what a fucking amazing album that would have been.

One of my favorite Bitches Brew stories is of Miles saying that he needed to get two drummers to approximate Tony Williams, because Tony was THAT much of a phenomenon.
How come when it's us, it's an abortion, and when it's a chicken, it's an omelette? - George Carlin

https://cindercone.bandcamp.com/
AnthonyCinder
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby LBx on Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:23 pm

vockins wrote:Emergency! rips.

Agreed. I haven't listened to it in forever though...
LBx

Postby i am the smud on Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:07 pm

tmidgett wrote:I don't mind some Mahavishnu, but all in all it's way too tidy for me.

That is a pretty accurate criticism, McLaughlin's playing on those Mahavishnu albums sounded too calculated compared to the slash and burn playing on Jack Johnson. Mahavishnu Orchestra's crab-ass tight musicianship was suffocating at times.

McLaughlin's intro on "Right Off' is the coolest thing ever committed to wax, in my opinion. Miles really knew how to bring it out in the musicians he collaborated with. Herbie Hancock's electric organ on "Right Off" sounds uncharacteristically evil.

I've always thought Bitches Brew would be the perfect soundtrack to an eerie, atmospheric horror film.
i am the smud

Postby Zorg on Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:29 pm

I listened to that Jack Johnson box set all the way through once or twice. It is good, and veers in interesting directions. I'm not keen on jazz, but this manages to be pretty enjoyable for a rock fan. Miles Davis is the scariest looking dude ever in his latter days, but he's quite dapper.
Zorg
has seen it all
has seen it all

Postby AnthonyCinder on Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:52 pm

The first two Tony Williams Lifetime albums (the ones with McLaughlin and Larry Young) are outstanding, except for the tracks with vocals on the second record.
How come when it's us, it's an abortion, and when it's a chicken, it's an omelette? - George Carlin

https://cindercone.bandcamp.com/
AnthonyCinder

Next

Return to Crap / Not Crap