sun city girls
played Louisville for the 1st time about 1yr 1/2 ago loved them
there films are pretty interesting as well
not crap!
woo
adjutant
adjutant

Postby spoot on Sat Feb 12, 2005 1:20 am

One of my biggest regrets in leaving Seattle for Chicago was the Sun City Girls. I loved being able to see them once or twice a year. They played in Chicago not long ago, and they played a real straight-forward set - lots of hits, and the eerily middle-aged-men crowd was all into it, singing along. It was a great show. But in Seattle they would play with shadow puppets, and play Pink Floyd songs, and Eyvind Kang played violin on Space Prophet Dogon, and all these crazy things happened. I always felt blessed because they'd moved to the town I lived in, and I wish they would move to Chicago.
spoot
puggy pearson
puggy pearson

Postby Angus Jung on Sun Feb 13, 2005 2:45 am

I lived in Arizona during a time when, had one been so inclined, one could have seen them play about 75 times a year.

I was almost so inclined.

The most influential band on me of all bands.

My three ghost uncles. My friends.

I will carry them with me every single day that I spend above ground.
Angus Jung
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Christopher_Dragon on Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:32 pm

Anyone check out any them weird ass Carnival Folklore Resurrection records?
Bradley R. Weissenberger wrote:Shin guards for all!
Christopher_Dragon
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom

Postby Jodi S. on Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:14 am

Some of them are the best records I own.

Some just don't do it for me.

I love me those Bishop boys.
Jodi S.
Influential Poster

Location: I am sitting in a room, different from the one you are in.

Postby Brett Eugene Ralph on Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:14 pm

woo wrote:sun city girls
played Louisville for the 1st time about 1yr 1/2 ago loved them
there films are pretty interesting as well
not crap!

I really, really wanted to come up for that show, but I just couldn't do it. I'd really like to see that band now that I am (somewhat) equipped to appreciate them. I saw them open for JFA at the Jockey Club in 1984, and I had no idea what I was seeing. Still, I liked how badly they fucked with the hardcore orthodoxy in attendance--even if I myself, at the time, fell closer to the latter than the former.
Brett Eugene Ralph
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Angus Jung on Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:40 pm

SCG are touring the U.S. this year. [EDIT- They aren't.]
Last edited by Angus Jung on Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Angus Jung
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby same on Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:07 pm

tell them to play marquette, michigan for me please.
same
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby Angus Jung on Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:21 pm

About a year ago, spoot wrote:One of my biggest regrets in leaving Seattle for Chicago was the Sun City Girls. I loved being able to see them once or twice a year. They played in Chicago not long ago, and they played a real straight-forward set - lots of hits, and the eerily middle-aged-men crowd was all into it, singing along. It was a great show. But in Seattle they would play with shadow puppets, and play Pink Floyd songs, and Eyvind Kang played violin on Space Prophet Dogon, and all these crazy things happened. I always felt blessed because they'd moved to the town I lived in, and I wish they would move to Chicago.

Spoot and I were brothers. I just realized this.
Angus Jung
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Germ War on Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:26 pm

I found them to be incredibly boring the one time I saw them in Minneapolis, however, I will not vote based on that single experience.
Germ War
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby flyinghouses on Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:40 pm

They make beautiful music. Some of it I don't care for, but some of it is incredible. Does anyone have their videos?
flyinghouses
not wearing any pants
not wearing any pants

Postby sunlore on Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:44 am

I think I want to check out this band.

What should I get first?
sunlore
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby GILLHAM on Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:09 am

flyinghouses wrote:They make beautiful music. Some of it I don't care for, but some of it is incredible. Does anyone have their videos?

I've got the 'Cloven Hove Theatre' video on tape. SCG fans say it's the best one, so ...
GILLHAM
scout
scout

Postby Jeremy B on Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:24 am

All I own is Torch of The Mystics, which incredibly NOT CRAP.

Can anyone recommend other things by this band that I should check out? Is Eyvind Kang on any of their recorded material?

Thanks,

-Jeremy
Jeremy B
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby Angus Jung on Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:17 pm

oucheh wrote:All I own is Torch of The Mystics, which incredibly NOT CRAP.

If the hypothetical gun is at my hypothetical dome- this is my favorite record of all times.
oucheh wrote:Can anyone recommend other things by this band that I should check out? Is Eyvind Kang on any of their recorded material?

It is frustrating. Much of their best recorded work is out of print. You will be charged outrageous prices for it, either on eBay or at their official site.

Their attitude has always been that if you missed it the first time, you missed it. Plus they are always doing too many new things to go back.

"Bright Surroundings, Dark Beginnings" is a very good record from their halcyon AZ period that they don't seem to be charging too much for.

Among the Carnival Folklore Resurrection series CDs (which you are most likely to find in stores), my favorites are "Libyan Dream," "Bullet Through The Last Temple," "Hi Asia/Lo Pacific," and "The Dreamy Draw."

Eyvind Kang plays with SCG on an incredible 20 minute + improv called "Ghost Ghat Trespass" on the double-CD "330,003 Cross-Dressers From the Rig Veda." This CD, which was also reissued as a triple-LP, is their best record overall, IMO, tho "Torch" is still my personal #1.

A true(?) story: Shortly after they relocated, they announced a show in all the weeklies, did flyers, etc: "The Sun City Girls Play Live In Seattle." They gave the name of the club, the time the show was to start, and the cover charge.

Seattle-ites were excited. Hey! This band has moved to our town! They are Playing Live In Seattle!

So they show up at the appointed place, on the appointed night, at the appointed time...to find a club full of people, but no instruments set up. No band in sight.

At a table near the back, 3 anonymous guys are having drinks together.

And, over the club's sound system, a record is playing: John Coltrane's "Live In Seattle."

I wonder if Spoot went to this show.
Angus Jung
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby tmidgett on Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:34 pm

Angus Jung wrote:A true(?) story: Shortly after they relocated, they announced a show in all the weeklies, did flyers, etc: "The Sun City Girls Play Live In Seattle." They gave the name of the club, the time the show was to start, and the cover charge.

Seattle-ites were excited. Hey! This band has moved to our town! They are Playing Live In Seattle!

So they show up at the appointed place, on the appointed night, at the appointed time...to find a club full of people, but no instruments set up. No band in sight.

At a table near the back, 3 anonymous guys are having drinks together.

And, over the club's sound system, a record is playing: John Coltrane's "Live In Seattle."

I wonder if Spoot went to this show.

He and I were two of the few people there.

Very funny.

A little while after SCG moved to Seattle, they had built up It status as the crazy new weirdo band in town. They had a show at the OffRamp, decent-sized rock club. Packed, maybe 400 people. Can't remember who opened.

After the last of the openers, a white scrim goes up at the front of the stage. It gets backlit so you can't see what's behind it.

Some figures come out to set up. They leave.

After 15min, more figures. They are holding microphones, b/c their sounds are amplified, but they are throwing big, bulky silhouettes onto the scrim, due to the robes or whatever that they have on.

Guuuuuuuuhhhhhhh. WEEEEEEEaaaaaaah. MMMMMMMMMMMBah. ChachachachaCHCHCHCHCHcha.

They made vocal noises into the microphones for about twenty minutes before I left. Spoot told me that they did that for the rest of the night.

It was a memorable show! And I think it was the end of their It band status!
tmidgett
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Angus Jung on Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:44 pm

tmidgett wrote: And I think it was the end of their It band status!

They have always had a big following in San Francisco.

The high point of it was, sometime in the mid-90s, they came to town and packed out the Great American Music Hall. Oh, the anticipation. Oh, are we weird San Franciscans ready for the weird band and their weird music.

Their show that night consisted of them sitting on stage around an imaginary moonshine still, talking amongst each other in fake hillbilly talk, spitting, playing a few notes on a banjo, and insulting hecklers for a couple of hours.

So many people were so disappointed.
Angus Jung
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby mackro on Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:47 am

"Pro Tools is too California Hollywood bullshit.”
mackro
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast

buy low, sell high

Postby Angus Jung on Tue May 30, 2006 12:17 pm

Bay Area folks should consider attending a solo performance by SCG guitarist Rick Bishop (aka Sir Richard Bishop) on Sat. June 10th @ the Stork Club in Oakland.

Local support act "Oaxacan" is also on the bill.
Angus Jung
Present-day God
Present-day God

Next

Return to Crap / Not Crap