Re: Band: Sun City Girls

Postby four_oclocker_2 on Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:40 pm

Jodi S. wrote:
Angus Jung wrote:
Torch Of The Mystics, too.

YES
Jazz Titan/Ruthie Cohen

KJ/HM/MH/DB

"I'm not in the Kiss Army. But I am in the reserves, and could be called up at any time." - Warmowski
four_oclocker_2
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby Bernardo on Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:37 am

Angus Jung wrote:Plans include reissues of their LPs on the Placebo label (s/t debut, Grotto Of Miracles, Horse Cock Phephner).

Sounds great. Is there a link to buy the Alvarius B re-release? I couldn't figure it out from the official site.
Bernardo
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby a leg plaster on Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:17 pm

(exaggeration)
a leg plaster
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby a leg plaster on Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:58 pm

(exaggeration)
a leg plaster

Postby goatlord on Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:55 am

Charles Gocher singing a good ol' song, and then drunkenly and hilariously riffing about a minimalist, war-cripled novelty organist for 8 minutes. Genious.
YES YES YES YES RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD When in doubt, treat it as a record. Call your Records - Horse_ebooks
goatlord

Postby Angus Jung on Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:46 pm

Some Web site called Blurt Online has been running a series of "advice to young musicians" statements from well-known artists. Patti Smith, Bob Mould, Ian Mackaye, etc. have taken part.

Here's Alan Bishop's contribution:

Unfortunately, due to overwhelming odds, I will assume this eager young musician is male. Specific musical details would be discussed depending on the circumstances but they are not important. What follows are the important issues:

- Lose the fear, get the confidence. Be a leader, not a follower.

- Forget about "thinking outside the box", crush and completely destroy the box.

- Get interested in everything and do it now.

- Find another way other than music to make money and never depend on music to make you a living. Don't become dependent upon others. Pull your own fucking weight. Don't go into debt.

- Question everyone and everything and never allow anyone to push you away from your direction.

- You know little of the way the world works so get fucking busy and find out what you don't know instead of thinking you already know it. There's nothing more pathetic than a 20-something "know it all." You've been fundamentally lied to since birth, so wake up.

- To attain any form of greatness, you must be able to risk all relationships you may encounter and place them immediately behind your work as a priority. So tell that pretty little girl that you are busy 24/7 and when you have time for her, you'll call her. Repeat the last sentence twenty times every morning when you wake up for a year. On second thought, do it for the rest of your life.

- Speaking of risks, take them as much as possible until it becomes extremely comfortable to take them. That way, you'll never have to take a risk again.

- Don't give in to your peers. Most of your peers don't know jack fuck about anything. Create your peers instead of settling for the peers you've been dealt. There are rarely more than a dozen people in any city who have a clue, therefore there are 12 people you need to know, so go find them. Most of the rest around you have been socially engineered to be fucking morons who will compete for your attention and energy, and how you handle these cretins will be key in determining your future.

- Never trust anyone in the music business, EVER.

- Forget about becoming "famous." If you actually do something interesting and do it well and for long enough, then someday you'll wake up and be infamous which is superior to becoming "famous."

- Compose/write your own material, record everything you do and become organized.

- Be aggressive but not overtly aggressive.

- Don't be an asshole, a thief or a junkie.

- Buy your own fucking cigarettes and don't be a fucking leech.

- Become a master of drugs and alcohol; do not let them master you.

- Don't be a flake. Show up on time, every time.

- Start traveling as soon as possible.

- When you think your plate is full, move to a bigger fucking kitchen and learn how to manage 100 plates simultaneously. The more you push yourself, the more you'll be able to deal with, and when those around you begin more and more to resemble infants, you'll have unlimited options.

And then the world will become your kitchen.

Now get to work.
Angus Jung
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby NewDarkAge on Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:20 pm

I want that made into a poster and put on my wall.
bishopdante wrote:BTW was not suggesting that my particular area of interest is buttocks, but it is normal for people of all sexes and sexual persuasions to be into butts, is not weird.

Sighthound
NewDarkAge

Postby 154 on Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:13 pm

Excellent list. #7 stings a little, but I've definitely witnessed both extremes on that front.
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby Major on Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:36 pm

Gold.
Major
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby holmes on Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:08 pm

I like that radar '1941' tune.
man with a mullet going mad with mallet in millets
holmes
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom

Postby edventure on Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:52 am

goatlord wrote:

Charles Gocher singing a good ol' song, and then drunkenly and hilariously riffing about a minimalist, war-cripled novelty organist for 8 minutes. Genious.

I can't stop listening to this. So mundane and absurd in the best way.
edventure
thomas paine
thomas paine

Postby Angus Jung on Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:14 pm

The other night I "slow-danced" to this deeply poignant, touching version of an all-time classic love song with my lady friend.

We decided it was "our song."

So beautiful. I get verklempt just thinking about it.

Angus Jung
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby nothingtodo on Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:01 pm

They're definitely growers. I originally found them boring, but they grew on me. I just got a cassette of Horse Cock Phepner in the mail today.
nothingtodo
ensign
ensign

Postby Miel on Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:10 am

Not crap in any way, shape or form!

Their version of 'Lambada' is AMAZING.
Sole proprietor of Celiac.
Bandcamp | Facebook | @celiacmusic | Weblog
Miel
star
star

Postby Angus Jung on Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:10 pm

FYI/heads up:

Alan Bishop has an album coming out on Abduction in March. He recorded it in Egypt, with a full band of Egyptian musicians. It's not going to be under the Alvarius B name. The band has a name, but the band's name is in Arabic and I'm not sure how it's spelled. It's going to be released under the band's name.

Alan told me there is going to be a version of the album with him singing all the songs in English on CD. There's also going to be a version on CD with one of his bandmates singing all the songs in Arabic. This version is going to be distributed in the Middle East. The vinyl is going to have both English and Arabic versions on double-LP.
Angus Jung
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby bumble on Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:58 pm

Angus Jung wrote:FYI/heads up:

Alan Bishop has an album coming out on Abduction in March. He recorded it in Egypt, with a full band of Egyptian musicians. It's not going to be under the Alvarius B name. The band has a name, but the band's name is in Arabic and I'm not sure how it's spelled. It's going to be released under the band's name.

Alan told me there is going to be a version of the album with him singing all the songs in English on CD. There's also going to be a version on CD with one of his bandmates singing all the songs in Arabic. This version is going to be distributed in the Middle East. The vinyl is going to have both English and Arabic versions on double-LP.

Ooooo. Keep us informed!!

(Because I'm not going to remember to check otherwise.)
bumble
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby sunlore on Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:54 am

Just wanted to adress this post in this thread. I just (finally, I'm glacial like that) got 330,003 Crossdessers off of Get Back. It's the real deal. This record is out there.

EDIT: Dante's Disneyland Inferno too.

jedjerkowitz wrote:
a leg plaster wrote:It really surprises me that this this record would actually be back in print.

The label releasing it (Get Back) is sketchy. I wouldn't be surprised if this was an unauthorized reissue. There's no mention of it on the official SCG site.
sunlore

Postby Bernardo on Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:19 pm

sunlore wrote:Just wanted to adress this post in this thread. I just (finally, I'm glacial like that) got 330,003 Crossdessers off of Get Back. It's the real deal. This record is out there.

I certainly could use that record in my collection, but my first search returned a webstore selling it for 70 dollars, sans shipping. Does it go for a human amount anywhere?
Bernardo

Postby Angus Jung on Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:15 pm

Bernardo wrote:II certainly could use that record in my collection, but my first search returned a webstore selling it for 70 dollars, sans shipping. Does it go for a human amount anywhere?

It's a triple-LP in pretty elaborate packaging. 70 dollars is the going rate.

This album (and Dante's Disneyland Inferno) has been re-issued on vinyl twice now. First time was on the Locust label in 2001/02. Get Back re-issued it again a couple years ago.

You could make a good case that Crossdressers and Dante's are the SCG's artistic peak. They both came out in the same year, which boggles the mind.
Angus Jung
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby BClark on Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:44 pm

mostly unfamiliar with this band -- i really enjoyed just about all of funeral mariachi, but i'm having a tough time figuring out where else in their catalog to start. any recommendations?
BClark

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap