Band: Sun City Girls

CRAP
9%
NOT CRAP
91%

Total votes : 108

Re: Band: Sun City Girls

Postby goatlord on Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:59 pm

BClark wrote:mostly unfamiliar with this band -- i really enjoyed just about all of funeral mariachi, but i'm having a tough time figuring out where else in their catalog to start. any recommendations?

Well, I made a CD mix some time ago. I think it could be a good introduction.

Link.
YES YES YES YES RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD When in doubt, treat it as a record. Call your Records - Horse_ebooks
goatlord
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby Angus Jung on Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:11 pm

BClark wrote:mostly unfamiliar with this band -- i really enjoyed just about all of funeral mariachi, but i'm having a tough time figuring out where else in their catalog to start. any recommendations?

Funeral Mariachi is unique in the SCG canon.

If you like the sound and vibe of that record, I highly recommend you check out Alan Bishop's solo project Alvarius B, specifically the Alvarius B album Blood Operatives of the Barium Sunset.

I see Funeral Mariachi, basically, as a great Alan Bishop album with contributions by Rick and Charlie, among others. It has Alan's stamp on it, heavily. Much like Dante's Disneyland Inferno is basically Charlie's record.

It doesn't have the interactive/band feel that most of the other SCG albums have, where everyone's personality/identity shines through.
Angus Jung
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby sunlore on Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:22 pm

Angus Jung wrote:
Bernardo wrote:II certainly could use that record in my collection, but my first search returned a webstore selling it for 70 dollars, sans shipping. Does it go for a human amount anywhere?

It's a triple-LP in pretty elaborate packaging. 70 dollars is the going rate.

I pm'd Bernardo about this, but since it is now somewhat of a topic: these records can be had on ebay for 30 euros brand new and sealed (which should amount to, what, 40 dollars american).

Crossdressers is all I've been listening to for the past few days and it's still sinking in. Pretty magical record.
sunlore
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby Bernardo on Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:07 am

Thanks for the link, Sunlore, that's more within reason.

Sorry, 70 dollars for a record that's not some kind of rarity is nuts, I thought half the point of getting stuff back in print was that people could avoid paying inflated prices for a release. Even Neil Young got called up on it on this forum for pulling the exact same thing (same value, same format), I don't see why SCG wouldn't. The Swans' latest is also triple vinyl, goes for US$ 30,00, and Young God's stuff is usually on the expensive side.

Either way, cool news because that's the one SCG record I wanted the most.
Bernardo
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby Isabelle Gall on Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:49 pm

If the cover is a tip-on sleeve triple gatefold then $70.00 seems about right.

The Psychedelic Pill price was way off for something mass produced by WB in the sleeve it was in. Warp are selling the new 4x180gram Autechre in a foil-blocked hard slipcase for $40.00.
Isabelle Gall
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby Angus Jung on Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:06 pm

Bernardo wrote:Thanks for the link, Sunlore, that's more within reason.

Sorry, 70 dollars for a record that's not some kind of rarity is nuts, I thought half the point of getting stuff back in print was that people could avoid paying inflated prices for a release. Even Neil Young got called up on it on this forum for pulling the exact same thing (same value, same format), I don't see why SCG wouldn't.

If Abduction had been responsible for these vinyl reissues ("Crossdressers" and "Dante's" were both originally CD-only releases on Abduction) you'd have a more legitimate reason to call SCG out for it. I have no idea how much control, if any, SCG has over the pricing of these sets.

Also the packaging is way, waaay better than Psychedelic Pill.

I would like to have these records on vinyl myself, but I haven't shelled out for either of these reissues, and probably won't. Get Back has always seemed like a sketchy label to me.
Angus Jung
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby sunlore on Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:40 pm

Angus Jung wrote:I would like to have these records on vinyl myself, but I haven't shelled out for either of these reissues, and probably won't. Get Back has always seemed like a sketchy label to me.

The Steve Hoffman dudes seem to agree with you.

These are issued as a box set, pretty cool, but I wouldn't pay more than 30-35 euro for it. The vinyl just sounds pico bello to me, no complaints.
sunlore

Postby Bernardo on Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:28 pm

Isabelle Gall wrote:If the cover is a tip-on sleeve triple gatefold then $70.00 seems about right.

I received the records today. FWIW, it's not, it comes in a regular boxed set-type box, each record has it's own inner sleeve, and the track names and credits are printed on those, along with a bit of artwork. It's nice, but not exactly luxurious.

I'm really happy to have a copy of this record, btw.
Bernardo

Postby AnthonyVillalobos on Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:18 pm

Listening to 330,003 Crossdressers From Beyond The Rig Veda right now. Holy shit this great.

Some really out there shit.
AnthonyVillalobos

Postby Angus Jung on Sun May 19, 2013 8:33 pm

bumble wrote:
Angus Jung wrote:FYI/heads up:

Alan Bishop has an album coming out on Abduction in March. He recorded it in Egypt, with a full band of Egyptian musicians. It's not going to be under the Alvarius B name. The band has a name, but the band's name is in Arabic and I'm not sure how it's spelled. It's going to be released under the band's name.

Alan told me there is going to be a version of the album with him singing all the songs in English on CD. There's also going to be a version on CD with one of his bandmates singing all the songs in Arabic. This version is going to be distributed in the Middle East. The vinyl is going to have both English and Arabic versions on double-LP.

Ooooo. Keep us informed!!

(Because I'm not going to remember to check otherwise.)

This album is out now.
Angus Jung
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby bumble on Mon May 20, 2013 9:39 am

And it's available for download on iTunes. Thank you!
bumble

Postby mackro on Mon May 20, 2013 9:41 am

The Invisible Hands album is indeed great. While there is a slight bar band element in the primary delivery, the lyrics definitely don't have that, and quite often, Alan's guitar work messes that all up. Highly recommended, even if it's not a classic in the SCG & related pantheon.
"Pro Tools is too California Hollywood bullshit.”
mackro
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast

Postby Angus Jung on Sun May 26, 2013 2:46 pm

mackro wrote:The Invisible Hands album is indeed great. While there is a slight bar band element in the primary delivery, the lyrics definitely don't have that, and quite often, Alan's guitar work messes that all up. Highly recommended, even if it's not a classic in the SCG & related pantheon.

It's a good album.

There's a lot of great oud playing all over it.
Angus Jung
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby sparky on Mon May 27, 2013 8:58 am

"Black Weather Shoes" is a great old SCG song that I'm very happy to hear at greater length on this record. The rest is ace as well.
Gib Opi kein Opium, denn Opium bringt Opi um!
sparky
Guardian Diety of the Planet
Guardian Diety of the Planet

Re: Re:

Postby chumpchange on Tue May 28, 2013 9:59 pm

a leg plaster wrote:
mackro wrote:
chumpchange wrote:A very NOT CRAP.

My first introduction to SCG was with Torch Of The Mystics in 1987. My second introduction was in 1990, seeing them perform in a loft space. The following night my band played a local club and we tried to get the promoter to add the Sun City Girls to the lineup. They refused. So at soundcheck Alan, Charles and Rick set up their gear the same time we did and no-one was the wiser (our band has 9 members so what were three more?). We gave the stage over to them at the end of our set, then joined them for a room clearing version of Helter Skelter. This has remained one of the most thrilling and memorable experiences of my life.

were you in Superconductor?

I don't know if he is or not, but I missed this story the first time and it is a really fucking great one. I'd hold that close to my heart too.

Sorry for the late reply. Yes.
chumpchange
not wearing any pants
not wearing any pants

Postby Angus Jung on Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:38 pm

Angus Jung
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby tonythechosen on Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:34 pm

DREAMLAND!!!
tonythechosen
ensign
ensign

Postby Neuloveyou on Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:36 am

Does anyone know what tuning Esoterica of Abyssinia is in? I worked it out a couple of years ago but have now forgotten, which I discovered on Saturday night while trying to remember how to play it.
Neuloveyou
took picture of naked guy
took picture of naked guy

Postby Angus Jung on Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:00 am

BAGDAD
Angus Jung
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Bernardo on Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:30 pm

I had the fortune of helping put together a Brothers Unconnected passage through Brazil, this was one of the shows:

phpBB [media]
Bernardo

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap