Postby Bernardo on Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:12 pm

And four more songs:

phpBB [media]
Bernardo
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Re: Band: Sun City Girls

Postby taylor swiftboat orgy on Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:56 am

I got a job this week to repair my local record store's sagging stage that they use for concerts. Because it's a great record store I let them pay me by gratis.
I have a Sun City Girls CD (it's expensive) in my sights.

The work I have heard is so-out-there-fucking-nuts-hilarious-not crap.
taylor swiftboat orgy
freelance sperm donor
freelance sperm donor

Postby goatlord on Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:34 am

I'm listening to every Sun City Girls record that I digitally own (that's almost everything except most Cloaven Cassettes and at least half of the Carnival Folklore stuff), and right now I'm in the mid 90's and loving every minute of it. I can't think of very, very little bands that produced so much material and it was as good as the girls material. After listening to a huge lot of Sun Ra I'm even appreciating their free-jazz stuff! Well, some of it, other is just fucking dreadful, but that's the Girls for you. Even my least favourite part of their catalogue (the early '00s) is aging greatly right now.

I really, really hope that Alan and Richard get a lot of time and money out of their current activities and began reissuing their material at more affordable prices. The fact that I don't own Live at Planet Boomeran is just a fucking disgrace, people.
YES YES YES YES RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD When in doubt, treat it as a record. Call your Records - Horse_ebooks
goatlord
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby Jodi S. on Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:33 pm

Angus Jung wrote:BAGDAD

Ha!
Jodi S.
Influential Poster

Location: I am sitting in a room, different from the one you are in.

Postby Bernardo on Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:21 pm

goatlord wrote:I really, really hope that Alan and Richard get a lot of time and money out of their current activities and began reissuing their material at more affordable prices.

From what I understand the idea is that both prefer to focus on their current music / projects.
Bernardo

Postby Angus Jung on Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:09 pm

Bernardo wrote:
goatlord wrote:I really, really hope that Alan and Richard get a lot of time and money out of their current activities and began reissuing their material at more affordable prices.

From what I understand the idea is that both prefer to focus on their current music / projects.

Decisions re: SCG re-issues are entirely up to Alan, nothing to do with Richard. I think it was/is always something he had in mind to do, but not real high on the priority list.

Last time I asked him about it, he said that any re-issue campaign would focus on the more well-known titles. I'd be surprised if "Live From Planet Boomerang" ever got re-issued, but a nice deluxe vinyl (expensive) re-issue of "Torch Of The Mystics" sometime down the road would not surprise me at all.
Angus Jung
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Angus Jung on Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:22 am

Angus Jung
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby AnthonyVillalobos on Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:49 pm

^ copped that reissue. Got it in the mail yesterday morning. My girlfriend loved it. She had never heard them before.

I'm happy I can finally own a SCG record without spening 200 bucks at a time on one record.

Excellent band, as everyone already knows.
AnthonyVillalobos

Postby amar on Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:40 pm

AnthonyVillalobos wrote:^ copped that reissue. Got it in the mail yesterday morning. My girlfriend loved it. She had never heard them before.

I'm happy I can finally own a SCG record without spening 200 bucks at a time on one record.

Excellent band, as everyone already knows.

Is there a link for the online purchase of the reissue?

I can't seem to find it on the Abduction website.
amar
casio
casio

Postby Angus Jung on Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:56 pm

Angus Jung
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby amar on Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:38 pm

Thank you FM Angus! I just ordered it :)
amar
casio
casio

Postby Angus Jung on Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:03 pm

Angus Jung
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby thelonelymastodronus on Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:51 am

I'm such a dunce. I only just found out there's an Abduction bandcamp page with loads of SCG, Alvarius B and Invisible Hands stuff..
P.S. Your taste is in your ass
thelonelymastodronus
treaty of versailles
treaty of versailles

Postby goatlord on Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:25 am

thelonelymastodronus wrote:I'm such a dunce. I only just found out there's an Abduction bandcamp page with loads of SCG, Alvarius B and Invisible Hands stuff..

Jesus fucking Christ I can finally hear the Carnival Folklore Resurrection stuff. Thank you!!
YES YES YES YES RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD When in doubt, treat it as a record. Call your Records - Horse_ebooks
goatlord

Postby Pasta on Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:16 pm

goatlord wrote:
thelonelymastodronus wrote:I'm such a dunce. I only just found out there's an Abduction bandcamp page with loads of SCG, Alvarius B and Invisible Hands stuff..

Jesus fucking Christ I can finally hear the Carnival Folklore Resurrection stuff. Thank you!!

That series is INCREDIBLE!
RSMurphy wrote:Everything I enjoy about metal: heavy, cool riffs, hooks, expressive vocals.
Pasta
Fucking Survivor....Fuck Cancer

Postby goatlord on Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:09 am

The mew Alavarius B is stellar. 35 songs, and not a bad one in it. I'm obssesed with this record. It's probably the most approachable Sun City related thing (even if it gets a little odd towards the end, it's never really off putting), and all the compositions are great. There are a couple of genres in here that you wouldn't thought that Alan Bishop would ever cover, but he makes a great effort on them. Also, the lyrics are fuckin hilarious, and there is a love song. An actual love song! A very sincere one!

https://suncitygirls.bandcamp.com/album/with-a-beaker-on-the-burner-and-an-otter-in-the-oven
goatlord

Postby Mason on Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:01 pm

goatlord wrote:The mew Alavarius B is stellar. 35 songs, and not a bad one in it. I'm obssesed with this record. It's probably the most approachable Sun City related thing (even if it gets a little odd towards the end, it's never really off putting), and all the compositions are great. There are a couple of genres in here that you wouldn't thought that Alan Bishop would ever cover, but he makes a great effort on them. Also, the lyrics are fuckin hilarious, and there is a love song. An actual love song! A very sincere one!

https://suncitygirls.bandcamp.com/album/with-a-beaker-on-the-burner-and-an-otter-in-the-oven

Really into this today. A few tracks in, it's like a Sun City Girls record as attempted by R. Stevie Moore.
(edit: alright track 5 is a little Rick Reuben-y)
Marsupialized wrote:'It's very important for men in bands together to French kiss, every day, even if they don't feel like it'
Mason
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby goatlord on Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:29 am

Mason wrote:Really into this today. A few tracks in, it's like a Sun City Girls record as attempted by R. Stevie Moore.
(edit: alright track 5 is a little Rick Reuben-y)

That's an excelent description! Alan Bishop pop, a little bit more R. Stevie Moore.
goatlord

Postby Angus Jung on Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:50 pm

Sun City Girls -- Live at the Sky Church w/ DVD

RELEASE DATE: 3.11.2020

The first new Sun City Girls release in 9 years, Live at the Sky Church is a performance that melds their signature alien-jazz improv, Asian-tinged psychedelia, and middle eastern meditations together with their ranting psychodrama.

Live at the Sky Church is an audio and visual recording from 2004 that shows a group both aware and committed to its history, while still demonstrating the power of the experimental to drive an enormous cudgel through complacency.

This is the somewhat famous/infamous show SCG did at the 2004 Bumbershoot Festival in Seattle.

Link to pre-order
Angus Jung
Present-day God
Present-day God

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap