Who, THe

CRAP
20%
NOT CRAP
80%

Total votes : 167

Re: Band: Who, The

Postby whoisalhedges on Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:31 pm

"My Wife" is the greatest song ever written by a bassist.
"Country music must go on!" -- Austin J. Hall, September 11, 2001
whoisalhedges
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love

Location: Where they put chili on spaghetti, BBQ sauce on kielbasa, and men on the moon.

Postby Snowblinder on Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:04 am

I really want to like them. And in very few instances, I do find myself moderately enjoying some of their stuff. Live At Leeds? Fantastic live album. Their performance on Rock and Roll Circus? Great. But man, Pete Townshend (and I've said this countless times before) is the absolute most pretentious, blowhard, self-indulgent delusional rockstar in the history of rock and roll. Want proof? Just watch the VHI Classic Albums episode for Who's Next? I love Entwhistle. He is one of my favorite bassists of all time and a massive influence on my own playing. Moon was a great drummer, even if not as revered by myself as his peers John Bonham and Charlie Watts. Daltrey........eh, I'm indifferent.

But Pete Townshend can fuck right off. He reminds me so much of a guy I used to be in a band with. I couldn't stand him either.
Snowblinder
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby Brett Eugene Ralph on Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:19 pm

Snowblinder wrote:I really want to like them. And in very few instances, I do find myself moderately enjoying some of their stuff. Live At Leeds? Fantastic live album. Their performance on Rock and Roll Circus? Great. But man, Pete Townshend (and I've said this countless times before) is the absolute most pretentious, blowhard, self-indulgent delusional rockstar in the history of rock and roll. Want proof? Just watch the VHI Classic Albums episode for Who's Next? I love Entwhistle. He is one of my favorite bassists of all time and a massive influence on my own playing. Moon was a great drummer, even if not as revered by myself as his peers John Bonham and Charlie Watts. Daltrey........eh, I'm indifferent.

But Pete Townshend can fuck right off. He reminds me so much of a guy I used to be in a band with. I couldn't stand him either.

Townshend's "pretentious, blowhard, self-indulgent delusional rockstar" aura is a big part of the problem, Tony, yes. Our experiences of this band are nearly identical.
Brett Eugene Ralph
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Myshkin on Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:03 pm

I really love the Who.
I understand why others don't.
Because some of the time, I don't.
They are not crap.
Myshkin
timex
timex

Postby jimmy two hands on Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:15 pm

Rock would suck without The Who. To vote crap on The Who, you have to vote crap on rock itself. And yet, here on the Premier Rock Forum, we have 31 people who have voted crap on rock itself. For shame!
banjo.comics.pigfuck.stoner metal.rock operas.

AudioTruth wrote:Everything I buy from other brands break after a couple years, this is because they are only interested in making money. I'm only interested in long-lasting eargasms.
jimmy two hands
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby monotremata on Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:43 pm

Lets just settle this right now.

Never going to be crap. Ever.
monotremata
webelos
webelos

Postby iembalm on Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:47 pm

Once again I am reminded that Pete Townshend has forgotten more about playing guitar than I will ever know.
iembalm
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby madmanmunt on Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:53 pm

monotremata wrote:

Thought that was a looping animated GIF for the first 20 seconds!
Book of Leo, Chapter 19 Verse 46 wrote:The man thought that he knew the glory and the wrath wrought of the Stratocaster, but lo! He was corrected.

Let them measure my anus and see if it is dilated.
madmanmunt
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby placeholder on Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:44 pm

Man, I'm seriously fixated on "I Can See for Miles" right now.

The Who's work is still mostly crap, esp the bloated theatrical stuff, but I still can't vote.
placeholder
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby hellholiday on Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:28 pm

One of the most original and exciting pieces of rock music ever recorded. And it never rocks in a typical fashion. There's not even a cliched rock beat piddling through the song. Its all tension-buildup-drama.
hellholiday
took picture of naked guy
took picture of naked guy

Postby AnthonyCinder on Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:25 pm

I actually prefer Live at the Isle of Wight to Live at Leeds, but both of those would be my favorite Who albums. They sometimes got a bit too studio-y in the studio, and thus they are one of the few bands who released live documents which I prefer over the studio counterparts.

I also got to see them play before Entwistle checked out. Pretty sure Ringo's son was playing drums, and they were all fantastic.
How come when it's us, it's an abortion, and when it's a chicken, it's an omelette? - George Carlin

https://cindercone.bandcamp.com/
AnthonyCinder
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby dahousen on Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:34 am

I love most of their first recordings, 1970 lives too, can't stand with most of Tommy and Quadrophenia songs, so boring.
The Who are a definetly NC band... but... then... you listen... to this new lyrics....

phpBB [media]

yes, they fucking died in 78
my god
dahousen
ward boss
ward boss

Postby Redline on Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:49 am

The Who concert recorded for The Who: Live at Leeds lp turned fifty (!!!!) on Valentine's Day.

Thank you, The Who!

Redline
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby curry pervert on Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:44 am

jimmy two hands wrote:Rock would suck without The Who. To vote crap on The Who, you have to vote crap on rock itself. And yet, here on the Premier Rock Forum, we have 31 people who have voted crap on rock itself. For shame!

x1000
curry pervert
norse
norse

Postby Ranxerox on Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:52 am

I used to dislike Who's Next. After leaving it alone for decades I returned to it recently and it is actually strong. I was wrong.

The Who are more NC than before. At least from where I'm sitting.
Ranxerox
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt

Postby circle_ruler on Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:47 pm

i really like a few tracks but as a whole i think they are one of the most dreadful bands i've ever heard primarily due to Daltrey sounding like a pub singer with a gun to his head. if they had stopped at the end of their cute Mod phase i would think of them more kindly. as it is, bombodirge.
Dudley wrote:Are we "meant" to wear trousers? Are we "meant" to sit in metal tubes that travel 30,000 feet above the earth?
circle_ruler
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby El Protoolio on Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:39 pm

I really liked the Who when I was in jr high and into classic rock. I think their best moments are some of the best moments in rock ever, but their song quality is inconsistent. Their performance chops were top shelf. I love most of their early Mod-era stuff but from Tommy to Who Are You they are pretty hit or miss for me, although there are still some great moments through to the end.

I think their problem was that they often hit above their weight. They just weren't as creative and artistic as they wanted to be. It's like they wanted to be Phillip K Dick or Gene Wolfe JRR Tolkien, but are reduced to being Issac Asimov or Arthur C Clark or Frank Herbert. Cool ideas, horrible execution. As a hard hitting rock band they ruled. As a proggy concept album band they were weak. Tommy and Quadrophenia do have some brilliant songs and performances, including some of my favorites. But there's also lots of filler CRAP.

THE WHO NOT CRAP SOME WAFFLES
El Protoolio
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Antero on Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:52 pm

Was listening to that Rock & Roll Circus performance of "A Quick One While He's Away" and

- their performance is spectacularly good
- the underlying song is just fucking dumb as hell, a real garbage song
- and it's still enjoyable because their performance is so fucking perfect

This is a very powerful The Who dynamic.

Quadrophenia remains extremely good shit, came across the isolated bass track for "The Real Me" on YouTube and it's stunning.
Is you crazy baby, I gots to grind
Antero
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby zircona1 on Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:53 pm

I listened to Who's Next for the first time several years ago, and I had two of these reactions:

- "I didn't know they did that 'best I ever had' song and it's called 'Bargain'"!
- "I didn't know they did that 'right in on you' song and it's called 'Gettin in Tune'"!

It's one of those rare albums where there's like, not a bad song on it. That, plus about a dozen other assorted tracks - not 'Who Are You' though, that one sucks - gives them a solid Not Crap.

How many times has 'Baba O'Riley' been covered? I have seen Pearl Jam, Guided By Voices, and Grouplove cover it (to varying degrees of success).
- "Whatever happened to that album?"
- "I broke it, remember? I threw it against the wall, and it like, shattered."
zircona1
gus hansen
gus hansen

Postby tmidgett on Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:31 pm

I love the Who, have my whole life, and I love them more now than ever before.

I have to admit even the bullshit isn't even something I'd want to get rid of.

Antero wrote:Was listening to that Rock & Roll Circus performance of "A Quick One While He's Away" and

- their performance is spectacularly good
- the underlying song is just fucking dumb as hell, a real garbage song
- and it's still enjoyable because their performance is so fucking perfect

This is a very powerful The Who dynamic.

That about sums it up.
tmidgett
Present-day God
Present-day God

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap