home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Band: Who, The

Vote and debate.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Who, THe

CRAP
34
20%
NOT CRAP
133
80%
 
Total votes : 167

Postby ssakmule on Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:09 pm

Miel wrote:I don't like the Who!

There, I said it.


They are now out of contention to be the 3rd band ever, to get your $14.99
Lonesome Bulldog wrote:As long as elites are in the minority, minorities will stay in the majority of the poor.
sunlore wrote:Germany equals Rocco Siffredi football: if you have a hole, they will exploit it.
User avatar
ssakmule
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast
 
Posts: 1273
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:22 am

Postby Miel on Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:20 pm

ssakmule wrote:
Miel wrote:I don't like the Who!

There, I said it.


They are now out of contention to be the 3rd band ever, to get your $14.99


(laugh)

Good one!
Image
Sole proprietor of Celiac.
Bandcamp | Facebook | @celiacmusic | Weblog
User avatar
Miel
star
star
 
Posts: 820
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:12 am
Location: Australia

Re: Band: Who, The

Postby cneutron on Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:11 pm

There's a lot of bad Who out there.
That goes without saying, when they were on, they KILLED.
As time has passed I have grown to appreciate them more and more, and ignore the bad stuff more and more.

NOT CRAP, absolutely and completely.
Up there with the Yardbirds as far as one of the best singles band of the era.
Still can't really listen to an album all the way through, but selected songs.
You bet.

(not "you better..." though)

Also, kings of the explosive live show.
Was Townsend the first one to do the pickup switching thing as a flourish? I think so.
Love that stuff.
User avatar
cneutron
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer
 
Posts: 4692
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2003 4:33 pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: Band: Who, The

Postby sawtooth on Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:02 pm

Not crap. man, beyond the whole "smashing shit" thing, petes whole playing style back in the day was violence. a lot of his playing was bashing at the strings. if you watch old footage of them, youll see pete just bang his guitar against his own head while in the middle of playing. when he used feedback it wasnt melodic like hendrix, it was just angry uncontrolled squeals. i love that solo from "i can see for miles" where he stays on one note and just fuckin grinds it. that was years before neil young (who rules too).

also, keith moon originated the drumming style of following the natural rhythm of the song rather than setting the rhythm himself. drummers who play like that often do more unusual/textural stuff within the songs. other examples would be bill ward, steve morris, and bob bert. an extreme example would be the drummer from DNA.
the three-lobed burning eye
User avatar
sawtooth
took picture of naked guy
took picture of naked guy
 
Posts: 1179
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:00 pm
Location: nun a yer gaddam bizness

Re: Band: Who, The

Postby Minotaur029 on Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:14 pm

I do like some Who songs, namely The Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus version of "A Quick One While He's Away" but two and a half years later, I still call CRAP on The Who.
User avatar
Minotaur029
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
 
Posts: 7792
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:20 pm
Location: 7777

Re: Band: Who, The

Postby Antero on Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:18 pm

Minotaur029 wrote:I do like some Who songs, namely The Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus version of "A Quick One While He's Away" but two and a half years later, I still call CRAP on The Who.

How?

Hoooow?
Is you crazy baby, I gots to grind
Antero
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover
 
Posts: 11400
Joined: Wed May 18, 2005 8:54 am
Location: Hustle City, CA

Re: Band: Who, The

Postby Minotaur029 on Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:24 pm

Antero wrote:
Minotaur029 wrote:I do like some Who songs, namely The Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus version of "A Quick One While He's Away" but two and a half years later, I still call CRAP on The Who.

How?

Hoooow?


Some Who songs I like:

"Getting in Tune"
"Baba O'Riley"
A lot of those early singles (see: Alex Maiolo)

I just find them mostly ridiculous. Plus, I don't think I like any of their albums all the way through. I only like a few Led Zeppelin songs, too. And yeah, John Entwistle was phenomenal.

"Ridiculous" bands like AC/DC and Queen (in contrast) seem to be aware of their ridiculosity. This I can celebrate.
User avatar
Minotaur029
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
 
Posts: 7792
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:20 pm
Location: 7777

Re: Band: Who, The

Postby punch_the_lion on Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:17 pm

What do you mean by "ridiculous"? Campy? I think The Who were sincere about the music they made, not intending for it to be ironic in any fashion. With Keith Moon, they were a great rock band, that spawned many pale imitators.
User avatar
punch_the_lion
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
 
Posts: 3488
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2005 3:09 pm

Re: Band: Who, The

Postby jeff_fox on Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:58 pm

seriously? The Who? I mean, I'm not much a fan of most Pink Floyd, but I'm not gonna go saying they're crap. But the Who? Even with the Who's batting average (which I don't think is as bad as some of you say). Their good stuff is miles better than any other music that has ever been made. ever. And I don't think their albums are badly put together either. They should have had shel talmy or whatever his name is do more than just the 'my generation' album. 'A quick one' has some janky sounding moments ('I need you'- holy shit, those cymbals just jizz all over the mix), but it's a great album. Aren't all those covers (Batman, etc.) not originally part of the album- just the expanded reissue? 'Sell Out' is amazing, beginning to end. They could have picked any song for the single and it would have been as good as 'I can see for miles'. Yeah, I lose a lot of interest after (and even during) who's next- not a big quadrophenia fan, but it's still really good music. There's a shot at live at leeds where pete is sliding across the stage on his knees, doing a windmill and the whole band is rocking- this is the greatest moment in rock music.
zom-zom wrote:Posterior means butt.
Gay Name|Hungry Man|MegaMaul|Blank Banker
User avatar
jeff_fox
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
 
Posts: 7464
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:40 pm

Re: Band: Who, The

Postby SecondEdition on Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:27 pm

Live at Leeds, people.

Live at Leeds.

This album forever excuses The Who from a Crap vote.

Nothing else they did ever came close to it, except all the other shows from that approximate era. That album is incredible.
Life...life...I know it's got its ups and downs.

In the someday, what's that sound.


CS. PC. MM.
User avatar
SecondEdition
King Shit of Fuck Mountain
 
Posts: 22448
Joined: Wed May 03, 2006 8:32 am
Location: Midwest, USA

Re: Band: Who, The

Postby Mark Hansen on Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:38 pm

SecondEdition wrote:Live at Leeds, people.

Live at Leeds.

This album forever excuses The Who from a Crap vote.

Nothing else they did ever came close to it, except all the other shows from that approximate era. That album is incredible.


Yeah, I need to get a new copy of this album.
"for when you bring two objects of such astounding masses of suck as these two together, they circle each other at incredible velocity until finally merging into an infinitely dense singularity of suck"
User avatar
Mark Hansen
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
 
Posts: 8952
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:45 am

Re: Band: Who, The

Postby Antero on Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:21 am

Live At Leeds is definitely the ultimate argument for The Who. I am in agreement with some others that they have no perfect albums and sometimes fell into total camp (Tommy can seriously go fuck itself), but Live At Leeds is a blisteringly aggressive demonstration on the utter skill and energy they brought to their work, and as a result even the worst-written songs played on Live At Leeds come across as genius.

They were a motherfucker of a band.
Is you crazy baby, I gots to grind
Antero
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover
 
Posts: 11400
Joined: Wed May 18, 2005 8:54 am
Location: Hustle City, CA

Re: Band: Who, The

Postby Pibroch on Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:28 am

See, I love Tommy personally, and I don't worship Leeds as much.

If I wanted to give anyone reason that the Who should be listened to, it would be the performance of "A Quick One" from the Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus. Everytime I hear or watch that, it blows me the fuck away. And then I would give them the Kids are Alright film (Extended Edition DVD, anything else is shit).
Marsupialized wrote:Let me just empty my balls with joy.

johnfernandez wrote:i am playing this game in my friends home.this is fantastic ever
game
User avatar
Pibroch
freelance sperm donor
freelance sperm donor
 
Posts: 1435
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:05 am

Re: Band: Who, The

Postby placeholder on Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:07 am

God. The Who. SO MUCH of their output is complete crap. And Roger Daltrey is terrible. But, JHC, that rhythm section. And the Who songs that grab me seriously grab me. There just aren't that many of them.

I don't know if I can vote on The Who. I'm leaning toward CRAP, but their good stuff is so g.d. good. You could probably cull a great double or triple album from their work, much like the Stones.

I'm not voting now!
User avatar
placeholder
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
 
Posts: 8092
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2003 2:06 pm

Re: Band: Who, The

Postby holmes on Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:29 am

placeholder wrote:God. The Who. SO MUCH of their output is complete crap. And Roger Daltrey is terrible. But, JHC, that rhythm section. And the Who songs that grab me seriously grab me. There just aren't that many of them.

I don't know if I can vote on The Who. I'm leaning toward CRAP, but their good stuff is so g.d. good. You could probably cull a great double or triple album from their work, much like the Stones.

I'm not voting now!


ive never understood this sort of opinion - surely if a band has enough great material in their catalogue to create double or triple album compilation, where every song is great, then they are by definition incredible, no? i can literally only think of about maybe 10 or so artists with enough good songs to fill a double or triple record. thats a standard that most respected bands around here could never achieve. that said i personally dont think even the who have a triple album worth of great stuff but i still think they were awesome.
man with a mullet going mad with mallet in millets
User avatar
holmes
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom
 
Posts: 2684
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:43 pm
Location: Sneakin' out tha hospital

Re: Band: Who, The

Postby placeholder on Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:50 am

holmes wrote:ive never understood this sort of opinion - surely if a band has enough great material in their catalogue to create double or triple album compilation, where every song is great, then they are by definition incredible, no? i can literally only think of about maybe 10 or so artists with enough good songs to fill a double or triple record. thats a standard that most respected bands around here could never achieve. that said i personally dont think even the who have a triple album worth of great stuff but i still think they were awesome.


I can think of several bands like that, most of whom I prefer to The Who. I'm thinking in terms of horrible output to good output. The Who, to me (and evidently a lot of folks here) have done a handful of great songs and several truckloads of crap over a decades-long career, so I lean toward a "crap" vote.
User avatar
placeholder
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
 
Posts: 8092
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2003 2:06 pm

Re: Band: Who, The

Postby holmes on Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:35 pm

placeholder wrote:
holmes wrote:ive never understood this sort of opinion - surely if a band has enough great material in their catalogue to create double or triple album compilation, where every song is great, then they are by definition incredible, no? i can literally only think of about maybe 10 or so artists with enough good songs to fill a double or triple record. thats a standard that most respected bands around here could never achieve. that said i personally dont think even the who have a triple album worth of great stuff but i still think they were awesome.


I can think of several bands like that, most of whom I prefer to The Who. I'm thinking in terms of horrible output to good output. The Who, to me (and evidently a lot of folks here) have done a handful of great songs and several truckloads of crap over a decades-long career, so I lean toward a "crap" vote.


fair enough.
man with a mullet going mad with mallet in millets
User avatar
holmes
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom
 
Posts: 2684
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:43 pm
Location: Sneakin' out tha hospital

Re: Band: Who, The

Postby monotremata on Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:47 pm

The Who w/Keith Moon = Not crap
Everything after = Crap

Just for the live sets from 1969-71 and John Entwistle and Keith Moon alone, I have to give them not crap.
But I think I fucked up and clicked vote without changing the damn option to Not Crap hah.
User avatar
monotremata
webelos
webelos
 
Posts: 805
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:51 pm
Location: Covina, CA

Re: Band: Who, The

Postby Minotaur029 on Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:41 pm

punch_the_lion wrote:What do you mean by "ridiculous"? Campy? I think The Who were sincere about the music they made, not intending for it to be ironic in any fashion. With Keith Moon, they were a great rock band, that spawned many pale imitators.


Yeah, they're campy. I mean, look at the interviews in The Kids Are Alright with the later, tassled version of The Who. They're just silly to me. I think placeholder summed it up best. They've got some great material, but there's SO MUCH flimsy crap.

You can't say "I hope I die before I get old" and then parade around the world without the best part of your fucking group (the rhythm section). Or you can, but you'll thoroughly confuse me personally.

If they had an album that did it for me all the way through, I would say NOT CRAP. They were a serious band that was meant to be taken seriously. They did a lot of things that deserved to be taken seriously. On the whole, I do not take them seriously.

I talked to an old guy at length before Shellac played at Millennium Park who told me that The Who played the single best show he ever saw. This guy had seemingly seen every big band over the years, especially from the years 1964-1977 (which is sort of a different deal than just about everything awesome re: ROCK that came after that). I believe that he knew what he was talking about and that he had good reason to say this.

Keep in mind though, you're talking to a guy who gave Stone Temple Pilots an NC because they somehow managed to have five radio hits that make me smile. I think that the guys behind STP are soulless cumstains, but they're obviously cumstains. Guys like Daltrey and Townshend are held aloft as rock geniuses, when really they just talked a lot of shit during their heyday and collapsed into self-parody.

But yes, my point is that they did not intend to be ironic.
User avatar
Minotaur029
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
 
Posts: 7792
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:20 pm
Location: 7777

Re: Band: Who, The

Postby mitchellm on Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:49 am

Just think where rock would be without The Who. Not crap.
mitchellm
padre
padre
 
Posts: 73
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:54 am

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests