Director: Nicolas Winding Refn

Crap
17%
Not Crap
83%

Total votes : 35

Re: Director: Nicolas Winding Refn

Postby emmanuelle cunt on Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:09 am

I reckon this dude comes home and jerks off watching his own films thinking about how masterfully constructed frames are and how genius the lighting is. He is Micheal Bay (who was invited to sit next to him jerking off watching explosions on Youtube) of 'art' films. CRAP.

(based on 'Drive' and 'Neon Demon')

Edit: Oh, he also did "Bronson"! I enjoyed that film. Still, CRAP.
Last edited by emmanuelle cunt on Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:33 am, edited 3 times in total.
caix wrote:^ more like "a manual vagina."
emmanuelle cunt
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby Me Again on Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:33 am

The Neon Demon is a prime example of a potentially interesting premise for a film (a critique of L.A. entertainment industry narcissism) that's so poorly handled it begs to be ridiculed.

It's like Mulholland Drive meets Showgirls (sans humor) meets a boring neon-lit pool party attended by recent film grads who can't be arsed to watch anything made before 1960.

Have not seen Refn's other films, but a Crap vote is in order here.

Toni Erdmann, Manchester By the Sea, American Honey, Moonlight--these are good enough (if very hyped) recent movies that they deserve most of the praise heaped upon them, despite whatever faults they possess. But The Neon Demon is the kind of movie that makes me want to renounce any interest in current mainstream cinema. It is rip-your-Roku-out-of-your-entertainment-system-and-smash-it-into-pieces-before-setting-them-on-fire sort of fare. Blech.
...with Euro-Sprockets coming at you from every direction.
Me Again
"kick a ginger day" victim

Postby Madman Munt on Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:38 pm

Me Again wrote:It's like Mulholland Drive meets Showgirls (sans humor) meets a boring neon-lit pool party attended by recent film grads who can't be arsed to watch anything made before 1960.
[...]
But The Neon Demon is the kind of movie that makes me want to renounce any interest in current mainstream cinema. It is rip-your-Roku-out-of-your-entertainment-system-and-smash-it-into-pieces-before-setting-them-on-fire sort of fare. Blech.

I was sold when you said you preferred Arrival, but now I've really got to see this!

Could not get into Bronson.
Started watching Valhalla Rising, but could not be arsed.
3rd of the way through Drive, I remember thinking "I don't know if this is good, but it is something..." By the end it was more "Well, that was a very silly film!" Still, some good bits.

By all accounts I should be crapping him. But I think there might be something Not Crap to the guy.
Madman Munt
amir vahedi
amir vahedi

Postby Me Again on Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:58 am

Have encountered a good number of viewers who tend to appreciate parts of movies, as an end in and of themselves. So a scene here or there, or a premise, or a few lines of dialogue, or some lighting, or this or that performer or composition--any of these things can make a movie worthwhile for some viewers even if the larger context in which they exist (the film as a whole) isn't too sound.

This is a valid enough approach, especially since most audio-visual entertainment tends to be less than the sum of its parts....If nothing else it's a way of insulating oneself from the very real probability that most movies aren't going to be stellar from start to finish.

But I tend to evaluate a film as a whole.

On that score The Neon Demon was the second worst film I saw since the summer of 2016...just behind Maniac Cop.
Me Again

Postby numberthirty on Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:07 am

Me Again wrote:On that score The Neon Demon was the second worst film I saw since the summer of 2016...just behind Maniac Cop.

Cracking an inside joke?
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Me Again on Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:55 am

In truth I did indeed watch Maniac Cop. And it was REAL BAD.

It's one thing to assume with near certainty that Maniac Cop sucks, and another thing to know for sure.
Me Again

Postby placeholder on Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:40 pm

NOT CRAP.

I unequivocally love his work. Can't decide whether Only God Forgives or The Neon Demon is my favorite.
placeholder
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby numberthirty on Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:45 pm

Me Again wrote:In truth I did indeed watch Maniac Cop. And it was REAL BAD.

It's one thing to assume with near certainty that Maniac Cop sucks, and another thing to know for sure.

No, no.

A remake of Maniac Cop is supposedly in motion. One guess who is apparently in on it.
numberthirty

Postby Me Again on Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:00 am

numberthirty wrote:
Me Again wrote:In truth I did indeed watch Maniac Cop. And it was REAL BAD.

No, no.

A remake of Maniac Cop is supposedly in motion. One guess who is apparently in on it.

*Checks Google*

Woah!! That is an eerie coincidence...

https://www.flickeringmyth.com/2016/05/ ... op-remake/

This might qualify as synchronicity. Had no idea.

Weird.
Me Again

Postby numberthirty on Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:19 am

So... After I posted, I checked up on Ed Brubaker's newsletter...

Special shout out to Screenrant. I don't know you, but that headline made me laugh pretty hard.

So yes, that's what I've been working on that's kept me so busy the past several months. It's a TV series that Nicolas Winding Refn and I co-created and are co-writing every episode of, and he's directing the entire thing. And yes, it is a crime series. Other than that, I am sworn to secrecy.

I will let you know about further details as they're released, but I'm guessing they will be very spare.

Very interesting that he no longer seems to be talking about Maniac Cop. What's even more interesting is the articles linked above that quote seem to be saying in no uncertain terms that it will not be Maniac Cop....

http://screenrant.com/ed-brubaker-nicolas-winding-refn-amazon-tv-series/

Ed Brubaker & Drive Director Team For Amazon TV Series

ack in 2011, Nicolas Winding Refn delivered one of the year’s most celebrated films with Drive, a Ryan Gosling-fronted crime flick about a Hollywood stunt man who moonlights as a getaway driver. Despite an Oscar snub, the film fared well at the box office, grossing over $72 million worldwide — five times its $15 million budget. It was hailed amongst critics circles, too, earning praise for its skillful balance between arthouse and action.

When comic vet Ed Brubaker made the jump from page to screen in 2016, he found similar success. He served as a supervisor and writer for Westworld, which was one of last year’s biggest fall breakouts. It fast became a ratings dynamo, and picked up several awards in the process.

Now, the pair are teaming up for Amazon series Too Old To Die Young. According to Variety, the crime thriller was greenlit on Wednesday with a straight-to-series order of 10 episodes. It will explore the criminal underbelly of Los Angeles, and is described as being in a similar vein to Refn’s Pusher trilogy, which looked at Danish criminals caught up in the drug trade. It will follow various characters’ existential journeys from killers to samurais.

Refn will direct as well as serve as a co-writer with Brubaker, who will executive produce. Variety also reports the project is eyeing several big-name stars, though no official deals have been made as of yet. The show will shoot this fall in Los Angeles.

Too Old To Die Young could go any number of directions. Amazon previously released Refn’s Neon Demon, his recent Elle Fanning-led horror flick. The movie was somewhat of a critical flop, and his previous efforts have been largely hit or miss. His ’90s-launched Pusher trilogy notched widespread acclaim, but his 2013 Drive follow-up, Only God Forgives, received a polarizing response.

Brubaker, on the other hand, has contributed to crime gems like Lowlife, The Fall, Sandman Presents: Dead Boy Detectives, and Scene of the Crime, as well a string of time-tested favorites including Batman, Daredevil, Captain America, and Catwoman. If his work on Westworld is any indication, his writing should continue to thrive on television.

Amazon, too, is pushing hard for buzzy original content. Following their lauded runs with shows like Transparent and A Man In the High Castle, they already have efforts with Julianne Moore, Robert De Niro, David O. Russell, and Matthew Weiner (Mad Men) in the pipeline. Perhaps together, Refn, Brubaker, and Amazon can hit their stride.
numberthirty

Postby brephophagist on Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:52 pm

Nolan = smart movies for dumb people
Winding Refn = dumb movies for smart people
brephophagist
names vacuums with eyes closed
names vacuums with eyes closed

Postby enframed on Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:46 pm

brephophagist wrote:Nolan = smart movies for dumb people
Winding Refn = dumb movies for smart people

Heh, funny.
Records for sale.

Those most doomed to repeat history are those who know it best.
enframed

Postby Chromodynamic on Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:43 pm

Bronson was okay, but my feelings towards it may be colored by my Tom Hardy crush.

Only God Forgives was also okay; Cliff Martinez, as always did great work on the score.

The rest of his movies are garbage. Drive, in particular, is a movie I cannot comprehend the love for; the first half of the movie is a boring rip-off/"'homage'" of The Driver.

He comes off as a condescending prick in what few interviews I've read but I may be wrong about that, sociolinguistic cues and all.
Chromodynamic
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby AdamN on Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:20 pm

Pity he feels that way about the Pusher films. Bleeder is decent as well. Kim Bodnia owns, Ryan Gosling... not so much. If you like Danish crime flicks with Kim Bodnia, you could do worse than In China They Eat Dogs.

NC, WF 9.
AdamN
dave "devilfish" ulliot
dave "devilfish" ulliot

Postby OrthodoxEaster on Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:39 am

AdamN wrote:Pity he feels that way about the Pusher films... Kim Bodnia owns, Ryan Gosling... not so much. If you like Danish crime flicks with Kim Bodnia, you could do worse than In China They Eat Dogs.

Pretty much. Refn peaked early. It seems as if he got emotionally resonant filmmaking out of his system w/Pusher II and everything since has just been increasingly stylized.

Valhalla Rising was the last time his work did much of anything for me, and that was nearly a decade ago.
OrthodoxEaster
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby numberthirty on Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:01 pm

Well...

- https://bloody-disgusting.com/tv/3588609/hbo-ordered-maniac-cop-tv-series-nicolas-winding-refn/

HBO Has Ordered a “Maniac Cop” TV Series from Nicolas Winding Refn!

Hard to tell if Ed Brubaker will be in on it or not.
numberthirty

Postby Me Again on Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:52 am

Watched Drive since first posting in this thread. Didn't like it either but it's much more passable than The Neon Demon. Can at least understand why some might like it.

There was some interview floating around online of Refn and William Friedkin talking about each other's films and I honestly thought it was a parody/spoof considering how inflated the former came off when talking about his own work. A friend sent it to me like, "Can you believe this guy?" And I was like, "That can't be real."

Also...

Me Again wrote:Toni Erdmann, Manchester By the Sea, American Honey, Moonlight--these are good enough (if very hyped) recent movies that they deserve most of the praise heaped upon them, despite whatever faults they possess.

Am not sure how great these films ^^^ are in hindsight. They're all exceptional in some ways, but I don't know how well they'll age. Time will tell.
Me Again

Postby llllllllllllllllllllllll on Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:13 pm

His bynwr site has a lot of great writing from Jimmy McDonough, author of Shakey, the Neil Young biography and a great Tammy Wynette book, as well as others. Kind of concentrates on weird American culture.
llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

dvockins wrote:Gold hardware means you are number one.
llllllllllllllllllllllll
Guardian Diety of the Planet
Guardian Diety of the Planet

Postby Angus Jung on Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:29 pm

Me Again wrote:There was some interview floating around online of Refn and William Friedkin talking about each other's films

Comedy gold::
Angus Jung
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Hosoi on Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:28 pm

llllllllllllllllllllllll wrote:His bynwr site has a lot of great writing from Jimmy McDonough, author of Shakey, the Neil Young biography and a great Tammy Wynette book, as well as others. Kind of concentrates on weird American culture.

I don't know this dude, but I liked Tights Worship on that site, the subjective video about the Rita.
Hosoi
roy campanella
roy campanella

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap