Director: Nicolas Winding Refn

Crap
19%
Not Crap
81%

Total votes : 37

Re: Director: Nicolas Winding Refn

Postby Get dog costumes on Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:30 am

emmanuelle cunt wrote:Oh goddamn, does anyone recall the post about a PRF'er listening to a 'song' * consisting of words spoken in english separated by a long periods of silence thinking it is so out there and spooky only to find out it an English course cassette?

It was in fact a cockatiel training tape, a phrase lodged in my memory for 13 years and now made useful for once.
Marsupialized wrote:She had a gun, so I did it. I had the decency to go into a stall to do it, though.
Get dog costumes
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby emmanuelle cunt on Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:30 am

Thank you!!!

One of my very favourite posts.
caix wrote:^ more like "a manual vagina."
emmanuelle cunt
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby Clyde on Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:41 am

On the set of Drive he would yell "Let's fuck!" instead of "Action!" On The Neon Demon he switched it up to "Violence, motherfuckers!"
NewDarkAge wrote:Dialectics, mate. No easy answers.
Clyde
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby Angus Jung on Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:15 pm

llllllllllllllllllllllll wrote:Just finished season 1 of Too Old To Die Young and it was fucking amazing. Loved it. Jimmy McDonough cameo in the last episode!

I watched the first episode last night.

There are definitely some Lynch-isms(i.e. whichever Baldwin that is, trying very hard to be a stock Lynch dark-quirky character).

It has a couple of Refn things I like. I like the Cliff Martinez score. And, as in Drive, I'm impressed with the way Los Angeles is depicted - as someone who has spent a lot of time in L.A. I think Refn really 'gets' the city, and not just one aspect of it.

It's a standard noir trope to have all the characters be amoral, but the best noir has flawed characters that are compelling or at least charming in some way, to where you develop some emotional stake in them as a viewer. There's none of this happening with any of the characters in this show. They should all be fired directly into the sun. Maybe it happens as the episodes go on? I strongly doubt it.
Angus Jung
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Bernardo on Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:53 pm

Clyde wrote:On the set of Drive he would yell "Let's fuck!" instead of "Action!" On The Neon Demon he switched it up to "Violence, motherfuckers!"

That struck me as incredibly juvenile in a bad way.
Bernardo

Postby BClark on Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:05 pm

this guy is long overdue a proper parody of his style.

here's a sudden shot of a gangster dude, with the non-diegetic sound of a gong and a minor-key 80s synthesizer! badass! he's kind of just standing there looking tough and staring off into the distance but... badass...

here's a shot of the heroine... she's kind of jaded and fucked up, but gorgeous in the technicolor lighting...

that gangster is starting to violently beat someone who we see deserves it, but the female lead is startled by this unrestrained display of male violence...

it wouldn't take more than a 5 minute short to cover all the key tropes.

i used to think he was alright, I really enjoyed pusher. but when i saw the "making of..." doc about only god forgives, he all but openly admitted he was being a shallow hack at that point.
I composed and produced the album California is Cold by Shahmen. Our song Poison has a video.
BClark
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby dipsophonic on Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:42 am

BClark wrote:this guy is long overdue a proper parody of his style.

here's a sudden shot of a gangster dude, with the non-diegetic sound of a gong and a minor-key 80s synthesizer! badass! he's kind of just standing there looking tough and staring off into the distance but... badass...

here's a shot of the heroine... she's kind of jaded and fucked up, but gorgeous in the technicolor lighting...

that gangster is starting to violently beat someone who we see deserves it, but the female lead is startled by this unrestrained display of male violence...

it wouldn't take more than a 5 minute short to cover all the key tropes.

i used to think he was alright, I really enjoyed pusher. but when i saw the "making of..." doc about only god forgives, he all but openly admitted he was being a shallow hack at that point.

Isn't the style enough of a parody of itself?
NWR knows he's playing all the tropes. It's supposed to be pulp, no?
dipsophonic
envoy
envoy

Previous

Return to Crap / Not Crap