King Crimson?

CRAP
11%
NOT CRAP
89%

Total votes : 168

Re: Band: King Crimson

Postby boilermaker on Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:42 pm

bigc wrote:So it looks like Fripp's The Wine of Silence was only issued in 2012 as orchestral arrangements. Can that be correct? That can't be correct.

I want!

The Wine of Silence review from AMG
The unique contents of this release are hard to divine from the cover, which lists three contributors: British progressive rock guitarist Robert Fripp, his longtime producer David Singleton, and composer Andrew Keeling. Together they accomplish something that has been done in parts before, but never in toto. The genesis of the work begins with Fripp's Frippertronics, improvisations that made extensive use of tape loops to build larger structures. These evolved into what Fripp called Soundscapes, which used digital electronics to replace and expand upon the tape component. This album is based on Fripp's Soundscapes, which have been subject to two further steps. First, Singleton, with Keeling's help, scored them for orchestra. This kind of thing -- scoring classical-influenced rock improvisations for orchestral instruments -- has been done by the New York ensemble Bang on a Can and other groups, although not precisely with the effect Fripp and company accomplish here. The second step is more novel: the orchestral (and in two cases choral-orchestral) pieces are then subjected once again to electronic manipulations, many of which seem to divide the forces spatially. What's the overall effect? The group of pieces as a whole is quasi-sacred, and all the overlapping textures build and recede quietly in a manner a bit reminiscent of the music of Arvo Pärt. If you like the Eastern European minimalists, you'll probably like this recording; if not, you may find it a bit ponderous, with too many undifferentiated events happening at once. But even those at the negative reaction extremes will find a good deal of interest in the possibilities this unique concept opens up.
https://www.allmusic.com/album/the-wine ... 0002342449

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5XMjyGKyf8
boilermaker
hoochie coochie man
hoochie coochie man

Postby Redline on Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:59 pm

I can listen to Let The Power Fall and God Save The Queen all day long. I saw Robert Fripp do his soundscapes thing live, but the most interesting part of the evening was him talking to the audience.

I just have a feeling the orchestral stuff would strike me the same way.
Redline
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby Redline on Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:15 pm

https://liveforlivemusic.com/news/king- ... JosTF8MatU
North American Tour announced. With members of Zappa's touring band.
Are they a separate thing? Or are they in King Crimson for the tour?

Does this mean Ray White might sing In The Court of the Crimson King?

That would be boss...
Redline
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby night_tools on Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:24 pm

Redline wrote:https://liveforlivemusic.com/news/king-crimson-north-american-tour-zappa-band/?fbclid=IwAR1oNjKf2BrqCvpXvW9NOJYBHE9gFmn4eSzhBDn0fWG1P_hwpJosTF8MatU
North American Tour announced. With members of Zappa's touring band.
Are they a separate thing? Or are they in King Crimson for the tour?

Does this mean Ray White might sing In The Court of the Crimson King?

That would be boss...

They're opening for King Crimson.
I saw the ZPZ band (Scott Thunes, Mike Keneally, Ray White, Robert Martin and Joe Travers) last year and they were incredible. The hologram thing was decent but I think this tour is hologram-free.
That's kind of a dream ticket for me. I really hope they bring it to Europe.
andteater wrote:My ex wife never appreciated my music, but the men of the PRF do. This is important.
night_tools
Guardian Diety of the Planet

Postby enframed on Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:28 pm

Redline wrote:North American Tour announced. With members of Zappa's touring band.

So, Missing Persons?
Records for sale.

Those most doomed to repeat history are those who know it best.
enframed
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby night_tools on Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:34 pm

enframed wrote:
Redline wrote:North American Tour announced. With members of Zappa's touring band.

So, Missing Persons?

No, Bozzio's a no-show. Which blows, but that's how it goes.
andteater wrote:My ex wife never appreciated my music, but the men of the PRF do. This is important.
night_tools

Postby Redline on Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:28 pm

night_tools wrote:
No, Bozzio's a no-show. Which blows, but that's how it goes.

They probably didn't have room in the van for his drum kit.

Scott Thunes was a great band leader. Frank loved the fact that the band hated him, too. Behind Neil Peart, he also has the most mispronounced last name in rock. Good bass player.

I'm a little worried about the core of the band always playing the Titties and Beer - Thing Fish kind of Zappa stuff, but I doubt that will happen at this show..
Redline
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Previous

Return to Crap / Not Crap