King Crimson?

CRAP
11%
NOT CRAP
89%

Total votes : 168

Re: Band: King Crimson

Postby Me Again on Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:28 pm

A year or so ago, a friend burned me a copy of Red. I liked it, having not heard a lot of King Crimson before. What I enjoyed was the vocals not getting in the way and the "proginess" being more rocking and straightforward than noodly and self-indulgent. Have had less luck getting into their other recordings I've tested out...
...with Euro-Sprockets coming at you from every direction.
Me Again
urinated in reservoir
urinated in reservoir

Postby Bernardo on Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:36 pm

Me Again wrote:A year or so ago, a friend burned me a copy of Red. I liked it, having not heard a lot of King Crimson before. What I enjoyed was the vocals not getting in the way and the "proginess" being more rocking and straightforward than noodly and self-indulgent. Have had less luck getting into their other recordings I've tested out...

That one is definitely the less "proggy" of their 70's records. Starless and Bible Black and Larks Tongues in Aspic are from the same phase, but both less straightforwardly rocking (both are awesome IMO, though I rate some tracks far higher than others). You could also try Discipline for a taste of their 80's incarnation, it was a good run and that particular record is one of their best. I'm not big on the 90's releases, though they're not regular prog either, more along the lines of, maybe, later period Peter Gabriel, in a sideways manner. Either way, I don't think any of their post-Red main releases would qualify as noodly.
Bernardo
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby Me Again on Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:46 pm

Will keep all of that in mind, thanks.
Me Again
urinated in reservoir
urinated in reservoir

Postby kerble on Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:49 pm

Starless and Bible Black is probably the closest to Red, though it's a lot more front-loaded of a record, and really drifts loose towards the end if I remember right. Crazy strong songwriting at the top mixed with the prog. More dramatic vocals for sure, but I think S&BB is also my favourite sounding one from that era. Incredible timeless recording.
kerble is right.
SA | SF | FZ | SI | RD | DA | K | CP | T
kerble
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Redline on Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:13 pm

kerble wrote:
Incredible timeless recording.

Salut! The last song on Starless and Bible Black, Fracture, was pretty much recorded live. I had no idea when it blew my fourteen year old mind in 1976.

Redline
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby Bernardo on Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:20 pm

I find objection with saying SABB is frontloaded because album closer Fracture, posted above, is my personal favourite King Crimson track. I think the version in the record is mostly live, with studio patched bits (I'd guess the frantic guitar run in the interlude).
Bernardo

Postby Redline on Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:33 pm

I think it's just a few percussion bits. And a gong at the end? I have this version somewhere, it's the track they used for the lp. Look, you can't get enough Fracture.
The tune Starless and Bible Black is an improv. Many people argue that the end is an edit. It could be.
Redline
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby kerble on Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:36 pm

Bernardo wrote:I find objection with saying SABB is frontloaded because album closer Fracture, posted above, is my personal favourite King Crimson track. I think the version in the record is mostly live, with studio patched bits (I'd guess the frantic guitar run in the interlude).

Word. It's been quite a few years since I've listened to this one, so memory is foggy. Looks like I'm due for a revisit.
kerble is right.
SA | SF | FZ | SI | RD | DA | K | CP | T
kerble

Postby Bernardo on Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:33 pm

The full unedited show that was partially used as the basis for some of the SABB tracks was released as an official KC live album in the 90's, The Night Watch, but I never bothered comparing the details of the album versions X the raw live versions.

Here's something I found:

Great Deceiver: Studio recording from Air Studios, London
Lament: Studio recording from Air Studios, London
We'll Let You Know: Live improvisation from Glasgow
The Night Watch: Intro from Concertgebouw, 2nd half recorded at Air Studios. David Cross' mellotron broke down, on the Night Watch CD you can hear him switching to electric piano
Trio: Concertgebouw
The Mincer: Live improvisation from Zurich, with vocals later overdubbed in the studio
Starless & Bible Black: Concertgebouw
Fracture: Concertgebouw, with studio overdubs (removed on the Night Watch CD)

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/ ... re.198049/

And then:

The guitarists skills were further tested when extra work was required on the multitracks tapes of Fracture (also taken Amsterdam) as Fripp explains “I double-tracked the lead line on the return in the moto perpetuo. George Chkiantz was impressed: double-tracking that sucker from a live recording wasn’t easy.”

https://www.dgmlive.com/in-depth/starle ... -long-view
Bernardo

Postby enframed on Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:00 pm

Bernardo wrote:
Me Again wrote:A year or so ago, a friend burned me a copy of Red. I liked it, having not heard a lot of King Crimson before. What I enjoyed was the vocals not getting in the way and the "proginess" being more rocking and straightforward than noodly and self-indulgent. Have had less luck getting into their other recordings I've tested out...

That one is definitely the less "proggy" of their 70's records. Starless and Bible Black and Larks Tongues in Aspic are from the same phase, but both less straightforwardly rocking (both are awesome IMO, though I rate some tracks far higher than others). You could also try Discipline for a taste of their 80's incarnation, it was a good run and that particular record is one of their best. I'm not big on the 90's releases, though they're not regular prog either, more along the lines of, maybe, later period Peter Gabriel, in a sideways manner. Either way, I don't think any of their post-Red main releases would qualify as noodly.

No King Crimson up to and including Three of a Perfect Pair would qualify, to me, as noodly. Self-indulgent possibly. I'm not sure I have heard a single thing after "the drive to 1984."
Records for sale.

Those most doomed to repeat history are those who know it best.
enframed

Postby Bernardo on Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:41 pm

enframed wrote:No King Crimson up to and including Three of a Perfect Pair would qualify, to me, as noodly. Self-indulgent possibly. I'm not sure I have heard a single thing after "the drive to 1984."

Not sure about "noodly", but all their pre-Larks records were certified PROGRESSIVE ROCK, even if of the Fripp variety. I enjoy some of it, but I find there's a marked difference when Bruford and Wetton join in. Jamie Muir must have something to do with it.
Bernardo

Postby Mickey242 on Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:39 am

Maybe one of the best bands in the history of music.
"There's a feeling I get when I look to the West"
Mickey242
useless piece of shit
useless piece of shit

Postby MRoyce on Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:34 am

Redline wrote: kerble wrote:
Incredible timeless recording.

Salut! The last song on Starless and Bible Black, Fracture, was pretty much recorded live. I had no idea when it blew my fourteen year old mind in 1976.

As a nice extra, it has the origin of the Simpsons Theme in there.
MRoyce
cy twombly
cy twombly

Postby Me Again on Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:10 pm

Not enough love for No Pussyfooting in this thread. A friend sent me a copy of the expanded reissue and the half-speed versions of the first five tracks hit the spot the other night. Will put this record in the "LPs to get" column.
Me Again
urinated in reservoir
urinated in reservoir

Postby enframed on Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:17 pm

Me Again wrote:Not enough love for No Pussyfooting in this thread. A friend sent me a copy of the expanded reissue and the half-speed versions of the first five tracks hit the spot the other night. Will put this record in the "LPs to get" column.

One of my favorite records ever.
Records for sale.

Those most doomed to repeat history are those who know it best.
enframed

Postby skoz on Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:42 pm

You have to get the Fripp and Eno live in Paris 3 cd. excellent versions of all the no pussy footing an evening star stuff
skoz
treaty of versailles
treaty of versailles

Postby Me Again on Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:57 pm

Duly noted. Though three discs is a whole lotta Frippertronics.
Me Again
urinated in reservoir
urinated in reservoir

Postby boilermaker on Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:07 pm

As a revision to my earlier post regarding Pat, I was a little hasty. I've seen some footage of recent concerts and trawled through the double duo/second quintet (2000-2010) material, live and studio. what I dislike is the sound of the V-Drums. He plays acoustic drums in the recent lineups and sounds great. Still miss Bruford, though he was clearly losing interest during the double trio days. The later incarnations, though very good, seem to be following strict arrangements of old songs for the most part. Not much improv as far as I can tell. KC is a legacy band now?

The period 72-74 will always be my go to Crimson. The three boxes - Larks' Tongues, Starless and the Road to Red are worthwhile.

I play Starless and Bible Black more than Larks' or Red. Trio and all of side two is astonishing.
boilermaker
hoochie coochie man
hoochie coochie man

Postby Redline on Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:43 pm

Me Again wrote:Duly noted. Though three discs is a whole lotta Frippertronics.

We sold the Pleasures In Pieces bootleg at Record Head. It's all solo Frippertronics, 2 lp set, audience recording, but a great concert. Worth it.
Redline
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby bigc on Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:24 am

So it looks like Fripp's The Wine of Silence was only issued in 2012 as orchestral arrangements. Can that be correct? That can't be correct.

I want!
bigc
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap