crap
49%
not crap
51%

Total votes : 154

Re: band:deftones

Postby numberthirty on Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:11 pm

H.R. from Bad Brains on "Right Brigade" and "Bored":

154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby countwatula on Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:40 am

All these bands who have one foot in "Real Music" and one foot in nu-metal/radio alt rock always come off like they have so much to prove. They try so hard, I almost feel guilty dismissing them. Check it out, we have, like... minimalist album art and ambience and stuff! Yeah, that's nice.

Life's too short for RadioheadToolDeftonesetc.

Oh, and good luck/get well soon to whoever in the band etc etc
That makes me an angry boy.
countwatula
geese ausbie
geese ausbie

Postby Charlie D on Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:42 am

countwatula wrote:Radiohead
It's rare that I hear a Radiohead song that I don't like but then I haven't heard that many Radiohead songs. Picking up a copy of OK Computer has been on my to-do list since 1998. So I like them, they're just not that high on my priority list.
countwatula wrote:Tool
"Sober" is a good song. "Prison Sex" is a great song. That's about the nicest thing I can say about Tool.
countwatula wrote:Deftones
My feelings regarding this band have already detailed in this thread.
Charlie D
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Location: Whittier Neighborhood, Powderhorn Community, Minneapolis, MN

Postby Adam Sr on Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:02 pm

Third listen of new album, first impression that it's amazing hasn't worn off. It's sad they're lumped in with nu-metal, although clearly they court(ed) that kind of attention. They're a singular band, and this new album is their most fully-realised. Rationing my listens to avoid fatigue.
Adam Sr
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby Antero on Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:20 am

numberthirty wrote:H.R. from Bad Brains on "Right Brigade" and "Bored":

Okay, H.R.'s getup is blowing my mind. Dude has nailed the psychologically-unstable Middle Eastern US-proxy-dictator look.
Is you crazy baby, I gots to grind
Antero
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby Podge9 on Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:28 pm

Really enjoying the new album. Definitely the sound of a band that are really happy with where they are.

Think it's lacking a little in intensity, misses something edgy like Hexagram or Rats!Rats!Rats! but seems like they're purposely gone for a smoother sound all round.

Think this is my pick of the bunch
Podge9
future member of good charlotte
future member of good charlotte

Postby Gramsci on Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:07 pm

I think for a "mainstream" band they are streets ahead of the pack.

I used to be a big, big Cure fan and to be honest Chino's vocal approach is very close to Sn Smith at his best. Even the rhythm of the lyrics is very similar. I'm a sucker for massive riff and epic choruses and Deftones mode op is pretty much albums with 70% Massive riff/epic chorus, 20% Floaty pop songs, 10% post-rock noddling... and the choose great covers to play.

The new one is pretty much S/T Part II, a little smoother around the edges. Let's be straight up, this is pop music not something that is e ever going to require a Wire Magazine Primer. That said, they are one of the only "alt-metal" bands that I got into in the 90s that is still worth listening to. Still, they should fire the fuckers that commission their "models pouting" promo videos.

Not crap with waffles.
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.
Gramsci
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby numberthirty on Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:25 am

Update from Chi's mom -

Hello dear family,

Hope your holiday was spent with those you love and was happy. Ours was quiet. Mae, Chris and the kids went to Chris’s family’s for dinner Chi and I were here listening to some tunes and catching up on a few things.

Now the Christmas Season is here and the insanity that is shopping. Mae tried to get to the store with Chris last night, took one look at the crowds and said “I’m gonna walk home.” They had gone in to get a really good sale on a TV for the new house and when they fought their way back to that section of the store, it was closed. The TV’s were there and the sale was on but they wouldn’t let anyone in that part of the store. (Yes Sal, it WAS Walmart).

So, we have gotten into a routine in the house we are renting. Chi is getting much better care at home and has wonderful assistants (full time for now) as Mae gave birth to a baby boy last month. She still does hours of hands on helping the helpers, as does Chris, but we have someone come nights for now so everyone else gets sleep at night.

We had hoped to be able to move Chi into the house that all the kids grew up in. He would have been in the main house with Mae and her family and I would have been in the guest house in back. The yard is so great there with bamboo all ofer and oak and fruit trees and bird songs. Sadly Chi’s Dad passed away at the end of April and things got really complicated legally. I thought it best to just rent a place for he and I when he got back from New Jersey and we ended up having to sell the family home.

Now it is sold, Mae and all moved in here and we looked for a house big enough for all of us to live in with more room. We did buy one at a very good price and are having it painted and re-carpeted now. It is not far away and is in a better location. So…one more move and we should be able to settle in. We are so happy at the thought of not moving again!

In the new house we will finally put some bookcases up for Chi’s books around him with a few of his own things on the wall. I can’t wait! We will even get a dining room table!

So about Chi. He was home for a day when he got back from New Jersey and had to go to the emergency room. He spent (6?weeks) in icu, ccu, icu getting one infection after another. I didn’t think that we would see him get back home. It was scary! I think that is when Gina put out the prayer request 1. for the prayer and 2.ya’ll deserved to know it was critical.

When he finally got one blood test that was clear of infection they sent him home. I took pictures of the medic van coming up the road and the 2 gals bringing him in.

They wheeled him in the house with their portable oxygen still on him and when we put the finger monitor on him he was hardly getting any oxygen at all to his arms legs etc.

The girls said that they couldn’t leave him and went outside to call a fully equipped ambulance. Mae and I decided NO more hospitals and went crazy on poor Chi. I was trying to shake and lift him and he wouldn’t wake or move. Mae grabbed a towel and held it tight over his mouth so that he would have to breathe through his nose (where the oxygen was going in). After a bit his eyes opened wide and he looked at Mae like “REALLY!! You’re gonna snuff me??” She told him to breathe through his nose and he did. His oxygen when the girls came back in the house was a nice (98? or 99?). Something high and he was wide awake. They were baffled but cancelled the ambulance and put him in his bed.It is hard and hard for him but we have decided to deal with things at home. Hospitals are too germy!The last time the Dr recommended taking him in and we told him no, he came out the next day and said that it was the right decision.

Again now he is starting into pneumonia in both lungs but we caught it early and he is on day 2 of antibiotics. His Dr and the nurse that come to the house are wonderful and Mae doesn’t miss a thing. She checks him constantly and I never sleep well at night so I peek in on him at night too. All and all, he seems intent on staying around awhile longer. Since you all have been such a huge part of making that possible, we have so much gratitude for your support and prayers! I know this has been said before but again, I feel like you are all our family! Some families don’t get this sort of kindness from their blood relatives. The love and compassion that you give Chi and us makes our world like such a better place.

I will post or Gina will post (because she will call every day to check on how he is when he is sick) to let you know when he is well again.

I am going to try to send Gina some pictures to post also as we have another addition to Chi’s team. This cat appeared and has adopted me and Dai. She is what Sal calls a “power animal” because of her protective behavior.

We wish you all safe and happy holidays and send our respect, gratitude and love.

Chi and me

p.s. from gina: i talked to chi on the phone the other day. i gave him alot of encouragement and told him about how much we all love and care about him. mae (chi’s sister) said he opened his eyes when he heard my voice and started moving his arms and legs. much love to chi and my chengs. – gina <3

So, here's the deal. I know that it's the holidays. I know folks are out of work. I know there are people on the board who could use the cash. That said, please consider helping out if you can.

http://oneloveforchi.com/
numberthirty

Postby BClark on Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:55 am

the new album is really cool. some of their best loud stuff in my opinion. white pony's long been my favorite and i consider that a high bar to top, but this is the closest they've come in a while.

Gramsci wrote:I think for a "mainstream" band they are streets ahead of the pack.

I used to be a big, big Cure fan and to be honest Chino's vocal approach is very close to Sn Smith at his best. Even the rhythm of the lyrics is very similar. I'm a sucker for massive riff and epic choruses and Deftones mode op is pretty much albums with 70% Massive riff/epic chorus, 20% Floaty pop songs, 10% post-rock noddling... and the choose great covers to play.

The new one is pretty much S/T Part II, a little smoother around the edges. Let's be straight up, this is pop music not something that is e ever going to require a Wire Magazine Primer. That said, they are one of the only "alt-metal" bands that I got into in the 90s that is still worth listening to. Still, they should fire the fuckers that commission their "models pouting" promo videos.

Not crap with waffles.

i'm pretty sure he's cited the cure as a big influence.

seconded about those videos.
numberthirty wrote:So, here's the deal. I know that it's the holidays. I know folks are out of work. I know there are people on the board who could use the cash. That said, please consider helping out if you can.

http://oneloveforchi.com/

+1
BClark
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby numberthirty on Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:50 am

numberthirty

Postby BClark on Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:01 pm

oh man that's sad.

RIP chi cheng. you had a way with the bass.
BClark

Postby holmes on Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:06 pm

Sad. I had a cousin that was in a coma after a car crash, and sadly he died as a result of the accident. He was the soundest motherfucker ever. RIP, Chi and Richard. My thoughts are with his family and friends.
man with a mullet going mad with mallet in millets
holmes
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom

Postby numberthirty on Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:11 pm

phpBB [media]
numberthirty

Postby Gramsci on Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:17 pm

Other than watching a group of well fed men playing music... are they releasing Eros finally?
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.
Gramsci
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby numberthirty on Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:18 pm

Gramsci wrote:Other than watching a group of well fed men playing music... are they releasing Eros finally?

I don't think so. A friend sent the clip my way. Not sure where it came from.
numberthirty

Postby Gramsci on Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:22 pm

numberthirty wrote:
Gramsci wrote:Other than watching a group of well fed men playing music... are they releasing Eros finally?

I don't think so. A friend sent the clip my way. Not sure where it came from.

I did some googling and they released this from it last year

phpBB [media]

Nice enough.
Gramsci
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby M.H on Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:18 am

Wrote them off for years as an 'arty' nu metal band, but closer inspection recently revealed a much stronger and stranger beast.

Definitely a very lazy band. They seem like real rock star douche bags. But at their best (5 songs per album) they tap into this lush, evocative and effeminate aggression. Very tight unit, rhythmically.

N.C, esp White Pony.
M.H
cmdr. william adama
cmdr. william adama

Postby J_Temperance on Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:15 pm

Bump, on account of the song they released recently-ish, off of the upcoming album:

phpBB [media]

Production isn't flat sounding like in the the last (disappointing to me) album, nice balance between some very Cure-ish tones and some nice crunchy Celtic Frost/Neurosis-like amelodic riffing.

One of those bands that, as a late 90s/early 2000s urchin in the throes of nu-metal mania, really got me into musical vistas beyond the butt rock so prevalent then. Their bro-friendliness and Chino's vaguely date-rapish vocalizing put me off for a while there, but their whole Jawbox/Unwound style music meets metal heaviness meets floaty shoegaze vibes thing they've had going on since White Pony has actually held up really well in retrospect (5-6 great songs per album sounds about right), radio band or not.
J_Temperance
general studio assistant
general studio assistant

Postby Major on Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:43 pm

Dumb band. And I'm sick of nu-metal buttholes trying to convince me that there is "a lot going on there". I don't know, maybe there is, but that doesn't change the fact that it's all stupid.

Worse than the Red Hot Chili Peppers.
Major
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Neuloveyou on Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:23 pm

Take that back or I'll hippy dippy rip up your lasagne al forna in the south of California.
Neuloveyou
took picture of naked guy
took picture of naked guy

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap