band:deftones

crap
49%
not crap
51%

Total votes : 153

Re: band:deftones

Postby tbone on Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:55 pm

That interview is amazing. It has to be an intentional homage to Spinal Tap, because it's too perfect. Even the shitty Web 1.0 white text on black background is a nice touch.

I once had a fondness for Deftones but they have not aged well with me at all. Dude has always had pretty shitty tone. Basically I think they just liked a few bands that I also liked.
I play guitar in Mayor For Life and Jackhammer Hearts
tbone
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby Boombats on Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:04 pm

I don't think you can legitimately call an AxeFX "gear"
Escape Rope / Blxck Onion / Black Mesa
warmowski wrote:Fire back, absolutely, always and forever no matter how much it blows Andy's mind.
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby AnthonyCinder on Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:57 pm

Not crap votes outweigh crap votes. Color me mystified.

For a while, I thought I didn't like this band because of the vocals. But the music is horrid too. Can't see how it's different than Korn.
How come when it's us, it's an abortion, and when it's a chicken, it's an omelette? - George Carlin

https://cindercone.bandcamp.com/
AnthonyCinder
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby Boombats on Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:05 pm

It's fucked up but I think Korn is more "interesting" in that they have more things going on sonically though those things are often awful. Deftones went from being an extremely uncreative version of Rage Against The Machine to an overproduced rapey version of Floor.
warmowski wrote:Fire back, absolutely, always and forever no matter how much it blows Andy's mind.
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby AnthonyCinder on Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:07 pm

Boombats wrote:It's fucked up but I think Korn is more "interesting" in that they have more things going on sonically though those things are often awful. Deftones went from being an extremely uncreative version of Rage Against The Machine to an overproduced rapey version of Floor.

"... overproduced rapey version"... Dying. :smt005
How come when it's us, it's an abortion, and when it's a chicken, it's an omelette? - George Carlin

https://cindercone.bandcamp.com/
AnthonyCinder

Postby Neuloveyou on Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:16 pm

Korn certainly had... bagpipes.
Neuloveyou
took picture of naked guy

Postby Neuloveyou on Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:32 am

Apparently nobody else in his band likes him playing eight-string guitars either.

Chino Moreno wrote:To me, my problem with that is the bottom strings—whatever they are, I don’t even know what it’s tuned to—you can play that same top string like seven frets apart and it all kind of sounds the same. So when I hear him play on that low string, I try to juxtapose that with something higher. I think Vega does the same thing. We all play around each other and it fits together, but we’re not canceling each other out—because honestly that could happen so easily.

For one example, if Vega played on a 5-string bass, which is something we’ve never done… When a lot of those bands of the ’90s were coming out and people were starting with 7-string guitars, as soon as you put a 5-string bass on that thing it sounded like every other band that was out at the time. I begged Chi [Cheng, Deftones’ original bassist], “Please never play a 5-string bass.” Even though it sounds good with the 7-string guitar, having that frequency going all the time takes away from the dynamics. I think the main thing we try to do is keep it dynamic. The way to do that, if Stephen is going to play those 8-string guitars, is for Sergio and myself to fill up those other frequencies.
Last edited by Neuloveyou on Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Neuloveyou

Postby harpseal2 on Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:10 am

J. Burns wrote:I'm a say this though: Slayer tuned to E-flat on "Reign In Blood." Most bands tuning down crazy low are NOT heavier than "Reign In Blood." Especially the Deftones.

You're so right it hurts. Slayer really created something special with Reign in Blood that very few have topped.

Deftones are alright. Heaping them in with insipid garbage like Korn and Limp Bizkit is a bit... I dunno. I don't think they deserve to be lumped in with the worst of the worst.

Not gonna vote.
scarnon
harpseal2
a² + b² = c²
a² + b² = c²

Postby Anthony Flack on Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:55 am

haha, you can see why there are tensions within that band.
Anthony Flack
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Gramsci on Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:57 pm

Anthony Flack wrote:

New album out.

Those of you that don't like them will not like it.

I do, a lot. They seem to do albums in twos this is definitely a move from the last record. Oddly a lot of the songs' vibe remind me of the Jawbox cover they did.

phpBB [media]
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.
Gramsci
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby Boombats on Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:04 pm

Anthony Flack wrote:

Considering the tuning of that bottom 8th string, it's probably some pretty low tension
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby Ike on Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:08 am

April 2016 is the month I go FULL BRO.

I both didn't hate and maybe even kinda enjoyed the Batman v Superman movie, AND I actually really, really enjoy the new Deftones album.

All bangers on this one.

Cool melodies.

Guess that's where I'm at now. Wanna lift weights?
Ike
Supreme Commander at the Forefront

Postby Neuloveyou on Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:39 am

Already got my shirt off. but not my jacket, bro (if you can see past the explosion of cover furniture).
Neuloveyou

Postby Ike on Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:42 am

Gnarly picture. I hope he got paid a lot to do that photo.
Ike

Postby Gramsci on Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:57 am

I don't quite get the "bro" angle, especially post-Adrenaline apart from the screamy parts it's mostly all delivered like Cure/Depeche Mode songs, are a massive influence on Chino's vocals. If anything Deftones can be a little too "sensitive" at times. No cookie monster vocals or macho posturing.

One of the things I really like about this one is that there are a lot of surprises where songs go. I expect a grinding wall of guitars and it swings to a soaring melody and vice versa...

As far as Deftones go, one of the best.

PS, Deftones videos and publicity is generally awful
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.
Gramsci
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby Neuloveyou on Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:04 am

Oh I know, it's just a terrible cover in general. I saw it on the shelf in the supermarket the other day and made a mental note to post it to this thread at some point. It's a really insipid photo.

I do actually need to give the new album a listen, will deliver my verdict vis-a-vis the bro-down quota afterwards.
Neuloveyou

Postby Ike on Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:13 am

The bro thing was lousy around this band all through their career. Stem to stern, they're absolutely aligned with that, for better or worse. I think they believe they're a metal band. Obvious closest analog is Tool.

They've always been more melodic than the rest of that (abysmal) nu-rap-metal thing, by a factor a million. But absolutely caught up in that scene, for sure.

But that scene, yikes. The pits.

Maybe being 18-20 when they came out? Seeing all that garbage bust open when it was happening? I was NOT INTO THIS BAND AT ALL, and I'm not 'into them' now, per se, but I'll call the cards as they're played. I enjoy the White Pony album, a few songs here and there ("Diamond Eyes" is a jam), and this new one I'm really enjoying a lot. I'd never in a million years want to see this stuff live on stage. Can't imagine what type of vibe is going on at one of their concerts.
Ike

Postby lewdjaw on Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:52 am

Boombats wrote:... an overproduced rapey version of Floor.

Bullseye. CRAP.
lewdjaw
vice president
vice president

Postby Gramsci on Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:36 pm

Ike wrote:...Can't imagine what type of vibe is going on at one of their concerts.

Maybe because I saw them in the UK in a smallish venue (The Forum) I didn't see that at all. Very "alt-rock" kids and late 30s dudes and women in hoodies...

Anyone else notice Vega is using a Fender Bass Six on some tracks for that extra "Cure" sound

phpBB [media]
Gramsci
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby Anthony Flack on Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:17 pm

Deftones changed rock? I THOUGHT somebody had changed rock!
Anthony Flack
Present-day God
Present-day God

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap