band:deftones

crap
49%
not crap
51%

Total votes : 154

Re: band:deftones

Postby numberthirty on Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:42 pm

Ike wrote:Can't imagine what type of vibe is going on at one of their concerts.

The following is a true story.

Saw Deftones open for Anthrax on one of their first tours after Adrenaline came out. Part of the way through their set, they cover the Weezer song "Say It Ain't So" to an incredibly ugly reception. Boos, shit getting thrown at them, you name it.

The stunned looks and confusion when it Hulked out mid-way through the second verse was something I am thankful I had the chance to witness.
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby numberthirty on Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:45 pm

They also took Quicksand out when they reunited for that very short stretch.

I've seen Deftones, maybe, nine times? They are one of my favorite live bands.
numberthirty

Postby numberthirty on Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:54 am

A friend sent this one my way. It's just about perfect -

phpBB [media]
numberthirty

Postby Gramsci on Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:33 am

Bass Six in action. Good tune as well

phpBB [media]
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.
Gramsci
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby Tommy Alpha on Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:43 am

When did their singer turn into a Turkish barber?
Tommy Alpha
Guardian Diety of the Planet
Guardian Diety of the Planet

Postby Gramsci on Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:49 am

Tommy Alpha wrote:When did their singer turn into a Turkish barber?

Around 2005
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.
Gramsci
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby Neuloveyou on Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:31 am

Can't quite make out what Frank Delgado is up to on that track. Plus ca change, I guess.
Neuloveyou
took picture of naked guy

Postby Gramsci on Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:55 am

Neuloveyou wrote:Can't quite make out what Frank Delgado is up to on that track. Plus ca change, I guess.

On some of the album tracks the Bass Six is more obvious. I'm guessing it's more Cure influence coming through. The whole "Cure Sound" is founded on that Bass Six carrying the melody. Interesting that they are kind of mixing it with a "normal bass" position.

That track I posted above the live one is a good sample of what they did that's more "Cure-like"
Gramsci
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby Neuloveyou on Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:15 am

Isn't DJ Frank Delgado the man behind the wheels of steel, spinning the platters that matter? I can hear the sproingy bass six for sure, especially on the other song from that Kimmel set when the bassist is obliged to play an open D chord at the 16th fret because Steph Carpenter is too mashed to walk around the the other side of his own guitar's neck and do it.
Neuloveyou

Postby Gramsci on Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:23 am

Neuloveyou wrote:Isn't DJ Frank Delgado the man behind the wheels of steel, spinning the platters that matter? I can hear the sproingy bass six for sure, especially on the other song from that Kimmel set when the bassist is obliged to play an open D chord at the 16th fret because Steph Carpenter is too mashed to walk around the the other side of his own guitar's neck and do it.

hahaha! Classic
Gramsci
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby Major on Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:32 am

Gramsci wrote:Bass Six in action. Good tune as well

phpBB [media]

Couldn't sleep last night. Watched everything on the internet (twice) including this clip.

Get rid of Steph Carpenter and that's a good song.

I said some pretty shitty things earlier in the thread, likely out of boredom. Trying to be less of a dick. Baby steps.

Full disclosure: I liked these guys when I was 19/20. Didn't really like Adrenaline, but then I saw them at a very tiny venue and thought they were great. Thought Around The Fur was a solid record if you can ignore the rap-rock elements. After that I just sort of forgot about them.

Maybe two years ago a good friend of mine said that their newest record at the time was really good and I should check it out. Told him that I hadn't heard anything since the 2nd record, so he threw some files my way. I could not make it through more than a few songs. Absolutely cannot stand that type of "guitar" "tone" and, from what I vaguely remember, no dynamics whatsoever. Like, I could tell where it should be "dynamic", but they just decided to brick wall everything. They also dress like dickheads.

Based on the clip above, however, maybe I will try to listen to the new one. At some point.

Maybe.
Major
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Gramsci on Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:31 am

They dress like 90% of the people I know... that aren't dressing like Victorian coal miners...

As you can tell I like them a lot, but critically. Carpenter's guitar tone... I don't listen to Deftones for Carpenter's guitar tone. The records are mostly way over produced and their videos and promo is straight out of the 90s Alt Hero Handbook.

But... holistically they put out banging tunes, sometimes transcendent music. I don't really care about Chino's vague lyrics anymore than Patton's -which are mostly colour and little narrative, drummer nice enough ghost note playing, bass, meh. It's not like Jesus Lizard where you can pick out each musician and get blow away by individuals' ensemble playing, this is all about a monolithic band that you really shouldn't dig too deep into.
Gramsci
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby Neuloveyou on Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:47 am

I got stuck into a Spotify best of Deftones yesterday, just while faffing around the house, doing some baking etc and there are some bangers in their back catalogue for sure. For every Back To School I skipped, there were at least two other tracks I heard that made me remember how much I used to love them. Dai The Flu, for example.

Ultimately, for me, they're too caught up in teenage memories to have any real critical perspective of the music. Everything up to White Pony just smells of cheap hash and Arriva bus trips around South Wales.
Neuloveyou

Postby Gramsci on Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:52 am

White Pony = Ketamine

Back To School seems to be a band embarrassment, Chino's brings up how much he hates that song in most interviews. Basically the record company thought WP one single (Change) and told them to redo Pink Maggot as a "rap rock" number. They even reordered WP reprints without the band's permission.

Thanks Madonna...
Gramsci
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby Boombats on Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:59 am

Gramsci wrote:Bass Six in action. Good tune as well

phpBB [media]

Critics may disagree, but I like the new direction Smashmouth has taken.
Escape Rope / Blxck Onion / Black Mesa
warmowski wrote:Fire back, absolutely, always and forever no matter how much it blows Andy's mind.
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby Major on Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:00 pm

Gramsci wrote:Back To School seems to be a band embarrassment, Chino's brings up how much he hates that song in most interviews. Basically the record company thought WP one single (Change) and told them to redo Pink Maggot as a "rap rock" number. They even reordered WP reprints without the band's permission.

I did not know that. I remember I heard that song and immediately stopped being even slightly interested in them.
Major
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Gramsci on Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:06 pm

Major wrote:
Gramsci wrote:Back To School seems to be a band embarrassment, Chino's brings up how much he hates that song in most interviews. Basically the record company thought WP one single (Change) and told them to redo Pink Maggot as a "rap rock" number. They even reordered WP reprints without the band's permission.

I did not know that. I remember I heard that song and immediately stopped being even slightly interested in them.

It's an atrocious song, unlistenable.

Moreno
"I remember the record had already been out for a while and had some radio play, but they wanted a second single and they didn’t think there were any more on the record. I said, ‘Well how do you know, because you haven’t tried with any others?’ I remember them sitting me down and pointing me out Papa Roach and Linkin Park had sold 6million albums while we hadn’t sold a tenth of that. To me, they were saying they wanted some rap-rock, and at the time I was already way over making music like that., but my response was no way at first, and then they pointed out the chorus of ‘Pink Maggit’ was so great, so they asked me to rewrite it as a three-minute song. They kept hounding me about so I was like ‘Watch this’, because formulaic songs are so easy to write.

“In one day I rewrote the music and the lyrics, we recorded and then I said ‘Is that what you were talking about?’ And then they said they were going to release it with a video, they were going to get Paul Hunter who directed Eminem videos to do it, so at that point I was like ‘Whatever, I’ll trust you, I don’t care’. When a record company gets behind you like that it’s hard to say no, because the years prior they wouldn’t give us the time of day. So the fact they wanted to push things and pay for things was great.”

Anyway, I'm spending way too much time defending this band...

Overall I think they've put out some great music, they're probably assholes
Gramsci
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby Boombats on Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:56 pm

Gramsci wrote:Moreno
"When a record company gets behind you like that it’s hard to say no, because the years prior they wouldn’t give us the time of day. So the fact they wanted to push things and pay for things was great.”

He said "it's hard to say no" when someone "gets behind you" and wants to "push things"

and ya wonder why I call their music rapey
Escape Rope / Blxck Onion / Black Mesa
warmowski wrote:Fire back, absolutely, always and forever no matter how much it blows Andy's mind.
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby Cactus on Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:58 pm

How the hell does this band have so many "not craps"?
Cactus
piece of shit
piece of shit

Postby numberthirty on Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:24 pm

Cactus wrote:How the hell does this band have so many "not craps"?

numberthirty wrote:They also took Quicksand out when they reunited for that very short stretch.

I've seen Deftones, maybe, nine times? They are one of my favorite live bands.
numberthirty

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap