Crap
10%
Not Crap
90%

Total votes : 86

Re: Movie: Mad Max 4:Fury Road

Postby Anthony Flack on Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:23 pm

Ah, thanks for the clarification.

The whole Nux thing caught me by surprise. It was pretty sly. When he was introduced I thought he was just a plot device to get Max out of the citadel and he would be dead within five minutes. The whole first half of the film I kept thinking he was about to be done away with at any moment. In retrospect, it makes the moment when Max tries and fails to blow his hand off with the shotgun a critical point.
Anthony Flack
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Anthony Flack on Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:30 pm

The leanness and simplicity of the structure is a thing of beauty. 'Turn around and go back again' is a perfect third act twist. So many lesser crazy films can't sustain a proper third act.

I haven't seen it twice but replaying it in my head I can see how the whole story is structured around Nux. The pre-title sequence is all Max but he's captured within seconds - he barely even gets to drive the Interceptor; that's not a part of this story. It essentially functions as a clever little piece of exposition, giving you a quick tour around the citadel and its society before Nux is introduced. The bit after Nux's final scene is similarly short and almost perfunctory.

There's plenty of world-building going on, but it's all delivered so economically, rather than the endless yak-yak exposition of most sci-fi, with people standing around giving long monologues that begin with 'As you all know...'
Anthony Flack
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby UMP on Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:14 am

UMP
mencken
mencken

Postby perdothegit on Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:50 pm

Ennio Morricone and Sam Smith won their Oscars last night, but they weren’t the only musicians to take a trophy home. Kira Roessler, the badass former Black Flag bassist, has been working as a sound effects editor since the late ’90s. She was part of the crew that worked on Mad Max: Fury Road; her title was supervising dialog editor. Last night, Fury Road won an Oscar for Best Sound Effects Editing. And while Roessler wasn’t the one who went onstage to accept the award, sharp-eyed viewers noticed her name on the little scroll on the bottom of the screen.

http://www.stereogum.com/1862449/former-black-flag-bassist-wins-an-oscar-for-mad-max-fury-road/news/
perdothegit
marshall
marshall

Postby numberthirty on Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:57 am

Former Black Flag bassist Kira Roessler is an Academy Award winner! As a member of the crew on Mad Max: Fury Road, Roessler won the Oscar with her team for Best Sound Editing.

Kira Roessler made history with the legendary punk band by becoming Black Flag’s first and only female member in 1983. She played bass during the Henry Rollins years, appearing on four full-length albums, two live albums and two EPs.

Her first record with Black Flag was Family Man, one of the band’s most polarizing and progressive records, remembered as much for its jazz and experimental metal overtones as its controversial album art. She would go on to play bass and occasionally sing on Slip It In, Loose Nut and In My Head before leaving the group in 1985.

The 2016 Oscar isn’t Roessler’s first major award. She’s actually won multiple Emmys as well. Her first came in 2008 for Outstanding Sound Editing for a Miniseries, Movie or a Special for her work on John Adams; while her second Emmy was awarded for Outstanding Sound Editing for a Series thanks to her contributions to Game of Thrones.

Congratulations to Kira Roessler and her entire team of sound editors for their Academy Award win last night! Roessler still performs live to this day as a part of the duel-bass guitar duo Dos.
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Redline on Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:37 am

Yay for Kira!

I love her weird blue Ricken-fender bass.
Redline
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby enframed on Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:39 am

Anyone have a link to the video of Kira's acceptance? Mrs. E says that it's worth watching.
Records for sale.

Those most doomed to repeat history are those who know it best.
enframed
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby emmanuelle cunt on Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:40 am

Anthony Flack wrote:
big_dave wrote:Actually, this is sort of what the last shot implies: Max rejoins the crowd, implying that he'll take their side should the new order become as much of an obstacle as the last one.

Yeah, I think that is absolutely what that last shot implies.

This is how it looked to me, too, but it doesn't make much sense when I think about it now. Max character wouldn't give a fuck about any of it unless he himself was in danger so I think the shot just shows he has no interest in being in power and he is going back to being himself and eating double headed lizards out in the desert.
caix wrote:^ more like "a manual vagina."
emmanuelle cunt
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby harpseal2 on Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:35 am

After making a HUGE ass out of myself earlier in this thread, I have finally given this movie a watch, after rewatching all three of the other ones (including Beyond Thunderdome... ugh).

Mad Max: Fury Road was... good.

It was a great action movie to sit there and have your brain rot. The movie was visually very impressive, the actors all did a good job in their roles.

The beginning felt much unlike any of the others. It didn't feel like a Mad Max movie. I dunno, it was probably the vibe of the thing, your honour. The speedy intro threw me off, I swore my player was screwing up and fastforwarding slightly. Once the movie got going, it regained that cheap Australian movie charm, even if it was 200x the budget. The vehicular action was just as spectacular.

The colours are downright overpowering at times. I didn't hate it, but I'd really prefer it if there was more that ORANGE AS FUCK or BLUE AS FUCK.

I got a slight feminist vibe when they met the biker women solely because there were like a dozen of them and only two of them were dudes, but after that they just threw that shit out the window. Glorious, men and women kicking the same amount of ass.

I complained about the Doof Wagon earlier. Upon actually watching it, it fit in perfectly with the rest of the ridiculous designs out there. It was in fact, dare I say, "cool".

Tom Hardy's accent was okay. Being Australian I can tell whether it's accurate, and it gets an "okay" from me. Charlize sounds like she didn't even try - I'm not upset about this, just noting. The rest of the film, wow, that sounds more Australian than me.

I didn't miss Mel Gibson, no matter how good he was in the originals. Hardy is a bit of a stretch if you compare him to Gibson looks-wise, but Hardy's acting was great and Hardy isn't a nutter.

Mad Max: Fury Road - NOT CRAP, a faithful addition to the Mad Max series. It had a few issues, but not enough to seriously hinder my enjoyment.

NOT CRAP, :WF: 1 or 2
scarnon
harpseal2
a² + b² = c²
a² + b² = c²

Postby Bernardo on Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:23 pm

Finally saw this, I was on the fence for the first third of it, but was sold on it later. Really good. Zero boners for vehicles, though.

Also, not buying that the war boy is the actual protagonist.
Bernardo

Postby El Protoolio on Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:41 pm

I watched this and the Road Warrior again recently on my new big assed TV. Still so great. I have the box set with all four films and one treat I never mentioned here is that it includes the black and white version aka Black and Chrome. Watching that again in the next few weeks but it is highly recommended if you love the film like I do. Seeing it in black and white gives it a whole new angle. Originally I think they wanted to make it black and white and silent and while it would totally work that's not this version. This has the soundtrack and the dialogue, it's just not in color.

MAD MAX FURY ROAD NOT CRAP
El Protoolio
Present-day God
Present-day God

Previous

Return to Crap / Not Crap