Postby jimmy spako on Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:13 am

phpBB [media]
Isabelle Gall wrote:'Do not go smoothly into that dark night'
jimmy spako
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Re: Movie: Mad Max 4:Fury Road

Postby emmanuelle cunt on Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:24 am

Finally saw it. At the end of it I was more like "holy fuck, I'm tired" than "holy fuck, it was awesome" but it is certainly not crap. Random thoughts:

- I didn't think about feminism one time during the film. Yes, one of the leads is an ass kicking woman but it's an in your face action film, I'm not sure how valuable is searching for some political/sociological ideas in it. Similar thing with the 'realism' of some scenes/solutions, entire thing seemed to be based on ideas taken straight out of teenagers mind: V8 worship, models, explosions, guitar with a flamethrower, car crashes, explosions and fight scene and taken to the extreme.

- Orange, so much orange. At one point I was thinking "fuck, I don't know how I'm going to handle this much orangeness for another hour". Film turned blue less than 30 seconds after that and stayed like that for about 20 minutes. Still, I wish it was toned down just a bit, but I do get it was a choice and it fit the film in general.

- one thing I'm sure I didn't like was the typical Hollywood blockbuster orchestral music, it particularly bothered me during the tornado scene, pure sound would have been way more effective and appropriate. The drums and distorted guitar soundtrack was great.

- the tornadoes scene was A+++, like truly best CGI scene ever?

- I hope all the stunt guys made it through without major injuries. Shit that was going on was unbelievable. Also all of those car crashes, Jesus Christ. Masterfully done.

- It felt to me like Max was supposed not to say a word for the entire film and then someone changed his mind when production was under way. His gasping and grunting was made to sound so clear like those were words, he seemed to made an effort to be able to communicate without saying anything (drawing a map with his blood), pointing at everything with the gun just before the fight scene with Furiosa and yet he said things like "fuck, that was my car" rather out of the blue. Also, it seemed like he talked without moving his lips.

- the sets, props and everything looked so great, very steam-punk. At times I wished action was a tad slower so I could take a better look.

- I loved how there was just enough plot and information about that world put into scenes where no cars were crashing or exploding. I didn't feel like "all action, no plot" at all, which I was kinda expecting.

Overall the film won, but I kinda wish it was a bit shorter, or just less orange, my eyes were really tired towards the end (which probably was the point).
Last edited by emmanuelle cunt on Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
caix wrote:^ more like "a manual vagina."
emmanuelle cunt
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby the finger genius on Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:52 am

jimmy two hands wrote:I finally got around to seeing the movie last night. It was awesome. Doof Warrior ruled.
The only thing I have to add to the discussion is that warboy Nux looked a lot like a skinny Billy Corgan. I wanted him to whine about not getting credit for things after he got stranded on the war rig.

Maybe a ZERO spray painted across his chest?
cjh wrote:Half Man, Half Brioche?

I play drums in Eighteen Hundred and Froze to Death

I play everything in Grass Jaw
the finger genius
the white ho
the white ho

Postby GypsumFantastic on Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:38 am

I came across this interesting video about the framing of Fury Road

Mad Max: Center Framed

phpBB [media]
In girum imus nocte et consumimer igni!
GypsumFantastic
princess di
princess di

Postby BobbyPeru on Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:21 am

I never got around to seeing this, but looking forward to seeing if it lives up to the hype. Pretty sure the BR/DVD is releasing on September 1st.
BobbyPeru
huey newton
huey newton

Postby El Protoolio on Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:15 pm

I saw a midnight screening of the Road Warrior at a nice theater last night. It was actually "Mad Max 2" so it was 100% the Australian version. It was great of course, but very interesting in light of having seen the new one. I forgot what a piece of shit Mel Gibson is for 95 minutes, which was pleasant. Also paid more attention to themes and symbolism and the craft of the film and cinematography and compared them to the new film. I didn't walk away with any deep insights or anything, I am just saying it was an enjoyable experience and even though I know every single frame of that film by heart, I saw it in a fresh new way. It's very economical, it's very bleak, and it's very much like the new film in the ideas it explores and the film craft and the stunts, probably the closest of the originals, but very different in that Fury Road is refined and distilled. The only thing it's missing is a gyro captain.
El Protoolio
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby UMP on Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:14 am

phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]
UMP
mencken
mencken

Postby UMP on Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:41 pm

phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]
UMP
mencken
mencken

Postby Redline on Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:44 pm

Two days ago I found myself in a Walmart in Michigan. They had the movie so I bought it.

Not Crap. A real good film to watch before you go to the Drag Strip.

It was nice to see the 1974 XB Ford Falcon Coupe again.
Redline
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby El Protoolio on Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:35 pm

I very much enjoyed those videos, thanks UMP.

Redline, I saw what you did there.
El Protoolio
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Raa on Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:09 am

Disappointed to find out the Blu-Ray doesn't include the black and white cut of the film.

I guess I'll just have to brave endless pop-ups and security risks and stick to watching random short clips on the internet until they release a definitive edition or something.

Raa
ella fitzgerald
ella fitzgerald

Postby Redline on Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:10 pm

I also enjoyed the Glock model 17 hidden in that skull-bumper thing.
Redline
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby VaticanShotglass on Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:07 pm

Seeing the footage without color correction makes me wish the color correction was less severe. Likewise with the cgi in the climactic crash. The raw shots are so beautiful and I hate that stupid flying steering wheel.
VaticanShotglass
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom

Postby Charlie D on Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:21 pm

VaticanShotglass wrote:... I hate that stupid flying steering wheel.

I hate it, too, but I get it was there for the 3-D audiences. I can overlook it, though, mostly for that the rest of the movie is tits-shakingly awesome.
Charlie D
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Location: Whittier Neighborhood, Powderhorn Community, Minneapolis, MN

Postby El Protoolio on Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:38 pm

I like the coloring. It's a beautiful masterpiece of a film. Also they deliberately used as many practical effects and stunts as they could manage. I guess people are still going to complain about CGI because that's what people still apparently do after twenty years of CGI, even when used tastefully and sparingly.
El Protoolio
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby tbone on Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:07 pm

I was perhaps one of the last remaining people in the country to see this movie, the other day. It was pretty great!

My wife watched it and loved it too. And she's a WOMAN!

I get that people thought real hard about this movie and that's cool, but mainly I was just watching it thinking it looked really cool and was entertaining as hell. Those people in the move were really good at climbing around on a moving truck/car/pole attached to a motorcycle/etc. while being shot at and stuff!
I play guitar in Mayor For Life and Jackhammer Hearts
tbone
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby VaticanShotglass on Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:55 pm

El Protoolio wrote:I like the coloring. It's a beautiful masterpiece of a film. Also they deliberately used as many practical effects and stunts as they could manage. I guess people are still going to complain about CGI because that's what people still apparently do after twenty years of CGI, even when used tastefully and sparingly.

The coloring is pretty but extreme. I'm not arguing against post processing. I'm just saying the raw shots were also pretty. Some coloring is needed for continuity, obviously and pretty is pretty. It is a little odd to cover pretty up with another pretty, but whatever I super dig the movie. CGI was well done in this movie. I just think that the stupid fucking steering wheel was an aesthetic misstep in an otherwise very expert movie. It is nuts to watch those featurettes to see all that stuff was real. My wife was in disbelief seeing the crash shots. The heavy coloring artificially suspends your belief to where you might not buy that all those shots were real if you didn't know better.
VaticanShotglass

Postby Redline on Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:22 am

And the main evil guy had a Colt Anaconda 44 mag., which was pretty boss.
Redline
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby El Protoolio on Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:39 pm

Yeah there were a few nice callbacks to the original films. Are they making more of these new ones? I'd like to see another gyro captain.
El Protoolio
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby LizardPod on Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:34 pm

I really liked this movie, and I think that Tom Hardy was great as Max.
LizardPod
general studio assistant
general studio assistant

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap