Mad Max 4

Crap
10%
Not Crap
90%

Total votes : 86

Re: Movie: Mad Max 4:Fury Road

Postby Marsupialized on Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:52 pm

You know, they could have easily just done it with Mel Gibson, would not have changed a thing about it
Marsupialized
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Location: Chicago, over by Grand and Halsted. Fulton River district, I guess?

Postby the finger genius on Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:58 am

cjh wrote:Half Man, Half Brioche?

I play drums in Eighteen Hundred and Froze to Death

I play everything in Grass Jaw
the finger genius
the white ho
the white ho

Postby Redline on Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:15 am

https://blackandchrome.wordpress.com/

Wahh, they already took it down...
Get The Criterion Collection on it.
Redline
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby El Protoolio on Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:21 pm

I mentioned how I saw Mad Max 2 in a theater recently but forgot to mention how similar the color scheme is to Mad Max 4. Obviously 4 is colored more intensely and is more stylized but 2 is pretty much blue, orange, tan, silver, black and white. From the backgrounds to the costumes to the vehicles. 4 is pretty much the same.
El Protoolio
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby ldopa_chicago on Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:31 am

Marsupialized wrote:You know, they could have easily just done it with Mel Gibson, would not have changed a thing about it

Except that Mel Gibson is a piece of shit.
jimmy two hands wrote:Jam econo for fuck's sake.

I play guitar in Daddy's Boy
I played guitar in Fake Limbs and bass in Burn Permits.
ldopa_chicago
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby LizardPod on Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:55 pm

ldopa_chicago wrote:Except that Mel Gibson is a piece of shit.

Gotta agree there. But it would definitely be interesting...
LizardPod
general studio assistant
general studio assistant

Postby Seby on Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:00 am

Just saw this.

I liked how the noise the rig made when it was fucking up was a hack of the noise that the Millennium Falcon makes when it is fucking up.

I also liked the little nods to films with similar aesthetics. Not just the earlier MM films, but others like Hardware, Razorback, and Pitch Black.

The set, vehicle, and costume design were all amazing. The casting was great. The characters were great. The _ideas_ were great.

_But_, the whole thing was just so over-stylised, and so totally rendered, that in spite of all of the positive attributes (and there are many), I just can't imagine myself ever bothering to watch it again.

NC by any means, but many, many waffles.
Seby
tired of birds
tired of birds

Postby Redline on Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:30 pm

Redline
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby UMP on Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:55 am

phpBB [media]
UMP
mencken
mencken

Postby J_Temperance on Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:01 pm

Fuck, I loved this movie so much that I went to the freaking movie theater to watch it like 5 times, at least 2 of those times zonked out on...stuff. If this doesn't win every single Oscar there is to win then I'm gonna get mad.
J_Temperance
general studio assistant
general studio assistant

Postby Charlie D on Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:09 pm

UMP wrote:
phpBB [media]
[silently nods approvingly]
Charlie D
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Location: Whittier Neighborhood, Powderhorn Community, Minneapolis, MN

Postby tmidgett on Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:12 am

Just saw it.

Marvelous.

I loved so much how it just unspooled nonstop full-out and didn't make a big deal out of any of the plot points or thematic underpinning. It is profoundly feminist and never mentions it. The concubines escaping and developing skills required to fight and survive. The women stuck out in the desert who go back to the city with them. Charlize Theron being the main character. The way the one war boy turns so completely toward them. It just happens and no one talks about any of their feelings onscreen and there's no fucking soundtrack telling you what to think all the time.

It's a great great movie. Totally lurid but moral in a matter of fact way and thrilling and great.
tmidgett
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby ERawk on Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:43 am

Redline wrote:Image

Yeah, herp derp...wevs...

My heart's with Bernie but I'm not feelin' this Mad cover whatsoever. At least with Hil I know my body autonomy on the Federal level will be in tact...not so much with Ben Carson....

This movie ruled, you little male piss baby bitches. I don't care if that stupid ass Verplanck chickenfucker wasn't involved. I went to middle/high school with some of Mel Gibson's spirit animals (Verplanckers) and I despised all of them except for the good crackers unfortunately born in that shit-ass Hamlet. FWIW, that crazy-ass bitch-ass family moved out (during the Civil Rights Movement) of an area that I'm pretty certain is trending 90 percent in favor of Trump and/or Ben Carson. The Gibsons thought that an area that was basically willing to meet up with Paul Robeson's protests with shotguns and pitchforks in the late 40 and into the 50s "too liberal" a scant 10 years later. I also would not be surprised if some dipshit born and raised in the VP from my high school class is a KKK bitch either.

OH ANOTHER FUN FACT: My high school actually has an award for a resident of Verplanck that actually gets accepted into a 4-year college, no matter how crappy. It's called the "Verplanck Resident Award" or some shit. They don't do that for any of the other Hamlets/Villages in the district (i.e. Montrose, Buchanan, Cortlandt Manor, Crugers, tiny slivers of Peekskill and Croton...). Well, at least they did into the early 00s...

Man, I should get a t-shirt made that is a graphic of Mel Gibson's face captioned with "VERPLANCK CHICKENFUCKER" and wear it wherever I can out in public (i.e. Birdsall House and Peekskill Brewery) when I'm back for Xmas.

ETA...shit, I should wear that to Fulgum's Tavern...

Oh and my continuity theory: "Mad Max" is a Jesus-like figure and basically has a narrative that you can't put into Chronological order.
You guys don't mind that I crash your little sausage party, right?

SecondEdition wrote:And also, just for the record - you have the best sig ever.

I was in a band with a cunt.
ERawk
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Anthony Flack on Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:40 pm

Given the current state of Hollywood, I think any female action lead constitutes a feminist statement at this point. I think the plan was to liberate the old ladies, anyway.

I finally saw the film last week, and yeah the colour is ridiculous, but the whole film is ridiculous. It's such a pure and perfect sort of ridiculous though, I'm not sure you can even criticise it on that level. It's a completely self-consistent vision, lurid and crazy and wild and giving no fucks. It's so perfectly itself, it must be some kind of masterpiece. You have to meet it on its own terms.

I don't think Furiosa is nearly as interesting as everybody makes out, though. She's just another Mad Max. One Mad Max meets another Mad Max and they are stoic together. That's not a story. This movie is really all about Nux, the war boy. He's the only one who goes through any real character development. He's the most interesting character by far. I think the story really belongs to him. He's the true protagonist, not Max, not Furiosa.

Of course it's not just about the story though; this is kinetic cinema first and foremost. This is like a rock record. And in that respect it is a fantastic piece of work. As much as it is reminiscent of silent cinema I think it is equally a reflection of modern video games. The art direction felt like it was straight out of a video game, and there were parts that reminded me of nothing so much as playing Motorstorm.
Last edited by Anthony Flack on Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anthony Flack
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Anthony Flack on Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:58 pm

big_dave wrote:Actually, this is sort of what the last shot implies: Max rejoins the crowd, implying that he'll take their side should the new order become as much of an obstacle as the last one.

Yeah, I think that is absolutely what that last shot implies. For an ex-cop, Max is not really the government type. (I am assuming that the new society they intended to create at the citadel would be more egalitarian or at least a more benevolent dictorship, but you never know - Furiosa is kind of setting herself up to be an Aunty Entity figure. Or Princess Bubblegum).

Analysing the political themes in this movie is like looking for philosophy in rock lyrics, but I think Nux's religious deprogramming is at least as significant as the feminist uprising.
Anthony Flack
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Anthony Flack on Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:46 pm

The green place was poisoned by some kind of toxic environmental leakage wasn't it? Presumably not of the grannies' doing.

It's effectively a world that's been taken right back to the dark ages, right? Still a long way from any kind of effective government. When it happens it would probably emerge like it has done for us, in an imperfect, largely ad hoc fashion. Founding fathers these people are not.

The citadel is rich in resources but will need to be constantly defended. I guess they will probably want to develop better trade routes with the other towns.
Anthony Flack
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Anthony Flack on Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:19 pm

The grannies said the water at the green place became poisoned and the plants stopped growing.

I would agree that Joe is, in the context of this world, not much more of a bad guy than any of the other feudal lords. It could be argued that his actions were perfectly rational - a necessary precursor to rebuilding civilisation, even.

He was forming alliances too - they traded mothers' milk for bullets and fuel didn't they? (Which does seem like a needlessly luxury product when they could just trade water and vegetables, but hey).
Anthony Flack
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Anthony Flack on Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:25 pm

I guess the guy who was blinded, firing his machine guns indiscriminately at everybody and declaring himself to be the incarnation of justice was making some kind of political statement.

"Order vs chaos" I think is much more to the point than any reductive notion of "good vs evil" for sure. Max being an ex-cop is thematically significant I think. He's still an ex-cop in this film even though he would likely have to be hundreds of years old by now for that to work out.
Anthony Flack
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Anthony Flack on Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:17 am

I thought the trade was made explicit. That was what the tanker of milk was for. They were supposed to be doing a supply run to Gas Town and the Bullet Farm.

I think the Mad Max world is extremely resistant to being reduced to goodies and baddies. I reckon the film is actually a bit more mischievous that that. It plays on that Hollywood formula for sure but it's also undermining it. Furiosa makes a bargain with the people who control the pass, and then screws them over. Immortan Joe is ruthless but he has built a functioning society out of chaos. He might look bad by modern Guardian readers' standards but he's certainly no worse than any Pharaoh. The grannies, meanwhile, are reduced to living as simple bandits, preying on anybody they can catch. Nobody is in a position to assume any kind of moral high ground.

And then of course one of the war boys, the undifferentiated minions who exist in action movies only to die, the people who you are never supposed to care about in movies such as this, sneaks on to centre stage and becomes the protagonist.
Anthony Flack
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby sulfur)addict on Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:18 pm

Joe trades using water; the tanker was full of water. Aqua Cola, I think he called it. Since we're splitting hairs here.

The mother's milk part is another, smaller component to the tanker. Good for a metaphor, at least.

I like FM Anthony Flack's obsession with Nux. He took more of a center stage for me on my second watch. The first one I kept hoping he'd die, only to be bummed when he did. A+
Last edited by sulfur)addict on Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kerouacian as fuck.

NewDarkAge wrote:why, the fuck, would you post zizek in this thread
sulfur)addict

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap