Gorgoroth
No votes
Satyricon
2%

Total votes : 61

Re: Norwegian Black Metal Dome

Postby addley on Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:29 pm

Bro Shark wrote:
Darkthrone have been exposed as essentially a joke band.

Ha ha, I didn't read this.
addley
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt

Postby moonman on Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:44 pm

It's between Burzum and Darkthrone. I chose Burzum based on Filosofem
moonman
the cheat
the cheat

Postby Bro Shark on Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:12 am

I'm pretty sure my band wrote this song in high school. We too thought it was funny, at the time. The only difference is we weren't grown men in our thirties.

phpBB [media]

Pasta wrote:Yer an idiot.

Fuck you.
Bro Shark
bear
bear

Postby gjp on Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:04 am

kerble wrote:I feel bad because Gorgoroth has no votes right now, and Gaahl is the source of the greatest interview of all time:
phpBB [media]

Feel free to watch it over and over and over again.

HAHAHAHAH

That sip of wine.
gjp
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby kerble on Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:20 am

qrj wrote:
kerble wrote:I feel bad because Gorgoroth has no votes right now, and Gaahl is the source of the greatest interview of all time:
phpBB [media]

Feel free to watch it over and over and over again.

HAHAHAHAH

That sip of wine.

The whole thing is incredible. The way he plays with the wineglass stem while pondering the question. The eons that go by as he formulates the answer, the terse response, and yes, the sip, followed by the smug sense of self-satisfaction he displays. Jesus it's perfect. I have seen this video at least 50 times, and I think I'm under shooting the number, and it never fails to make me laugh. I can think of few ways to spend 25 seconds that are better.
kerble is right.
SA | SF | FZ | SI | RD | DA | K | CP | T
kerble
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Bernardo on Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:35 am

I don't know that much BM, but I'd rank these albums (and bands) as follows:

phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]
Bernardo
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby M.H on Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:59 am

Darkthrone takes it for always being ahead of the pack. I love their first five albums and they all appeal to me for different reasons. Under a Funeral Moon may be my favourite, but they've got the most interesting back catalogue. They also seem to get more agreeably eccentric with age.

I'd place Burzum second, maybe then Mayhem. Enslaved have been the most forward thinking musically of this bunch but the albums are patchy. Emperor's Anthems To The Welkin At Dusk is excellent but everything else they've done leaves me cold. Not so concerned about the rest of the list.

Is Blizzard Beasts worth checking out? I've heard Immortal's first three records and they're entertaining but very slapdash and camp (No bad thing, just not what I look for in my BM). Did they suddenly learn to play in time on this one?
M.H
aldormanndiobla
aldormanndiobla

Postby addley on Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:38 am

M.H wrote:Emperor's Anthems To The Welkin At Dusk is excellent but everything else they've done leaves me cold.

Have you tried Wrath of the Tyrant?

On runner ups, I have to go with the sadly forever-unlisted Ildjarn. Ildjarn has been angrier, rawer, catchier, more crushing, more sensitive, and more beautiful than just about all those other bands. Everything that is of worth to be found in black metal has made an appearance several times in Ildjarn's catalog, especially within Ildjarn-Nidhogg.
addley
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt

Postby J. Burns on Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:28 am

Bathory rules, although they are first wave, and Swedish, I believe. RIP Quorthon. He seemed like a chill bro.

I was into Burzum a little bit, but they're kinda boring now. Plus Varg is the European Ted Nugent.

Darkthrone are kinda silly, but they're self-aware. They make good records too, so I'm voting for them.
J. Burns
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby andrzej on Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:41 am

Immortal made the most intense records, Battles in the North and Pure Holocaust , so Immortal it is
andrzej
skater
skater

Postby bigc on Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:17 am

Ulver's Nattens Madrigal is the best black metal album ever made. I'd go so far as to call it one of my 10 favorite records of all time.

Ulver. Darkthrone second.
bigc
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby Major on Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:39 am

bigc wrote:Ulver's Nattens Madrigal is the best black metal album ever made.

TRUTH!

I voted for Darkthrone.
Major
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Kate Rev on Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:54 am

Here are some less-conventional things to check out if you like Enslaved, Darkthrone, Burzum, etc. They are mostly not Norwegian, and mostly atmospheric depressive black metal or ambient black metal. If you like WITTR you might like these.

Xasthur - weird atmospheric depressive black metal from the US. It's just one guy. Try Defective Epitaph while you're alone in your room with the lights off and vodka.

Taake - from Norway. Very very from Norway. Try Taake.

Paysage d'Hiver - suuuuper atmospheric/ambient, wintery as fuck. Listen to this if you wish you could combine the Burzum prizon records feel with the atmosphere of the earlier ones, and make it even starker. Listen to this on your phone while you're trudging a snowy trail in the Swiss alps. They are all good. Try Die Festung.

Okkultokrati - from Norway. this is more crusty punk rock sludgy, if you want something with a groove. You can like dance to this. Listen to No Light for Mass.

Merrimack - from France. Slower almost stoner-doom-y bm. I like Grey Rigorism.

Lustre - from Sweden. Atmospheric depressive in the vein of Paysage d'Hiver and the prison era Burzum records. So sad, but it is about the beauty of the sadness. Try Welcome Winter.

Karg - ambient adbm from Sweden. More of the stark slow sad stuff. Try Traumruinen.

Isengard - Here is Fenriz being Fenrizzy. Pagan, punk rock, silly, all-out. Listen to Vinterskugge.

Immortal - Norway. Diabolical Full Moon Mysticism.It is just perfect, listen to it.

Grisatre - French. Weird. Depressive bm. L'idee de Dieu. It's a bit like the Paysage d'Hiver and Lustre stuff, but more avant garde. Listen while you're contemplating existence, in your room in the dark alone with vodka.

Fell Voices - more adbm! From the US. Listen to Fell Voices. More brutal but still sooo sad.

Feast of the Epiphany - I know nothing about them, but the album I have is Indivinity III and it is fine adbm. Super ambient and droney.

Carpe Noctem - from Iceland. Really excellent upbeat pagan black metal. Get a little bedroom thrash going. Carpe Noctem is the only one I have.

Brulvahnatu - from Canada. Weird ambient adbm. Uterine Acid Swishes. Silly album and song names betray actually pretty great textures and sounds going on. Similar to Xasthur and Abruptum

That's all I can do right now! Your turn!
Kate Rev

Postby Bernardo on Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:12 pm

I'd think Beherit are important and distinctive enough to make the original list.

phpBB [media]
Bernardo

Postby Gardy on Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:09 pm

They are Finnish.
Gardy
envoy
envoy

Postby Major on Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:15 pm

Gardy wrote:They are Finnish.

Actually, they got back together in 2008.
Major
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Bernardo on Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:06 pm

Major wrote:

HOF

I didn't realize it was a norwegian-only poll.

Yeah, it's in the title, I know.
Bernardo

Postby kerble on Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:12 pm

Bernardo wrote:
Major wrote:

HOF

+1

So great.
kerble is right.
SA | SF | FZ | SI | RD | DA | K | CP | T
kerble
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby addley on Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:19 pm

Kate Rev wrote:Here are some less-conventional things to check out if you like Enslaved, Darkthrone, Burzum, etc. They are mostly not Norwegian, and mostly atmospheric depressive black metal or ambient black metal. If you like WITTR you might like these.

Xasthur - weird atmospheric depressive black metal from the US. It's just one guy. Try Defective Epitaph while you're alone in your room with the lights off and vodka.

Taake - from Norway. Very very from Norway. Try Taake.

Paysage d'Hiver - suuuuper atmospheric/ambient, wintery as fuck. Listen to this if you wish you could combine the Burzum prizon records feel with the atmosphere of the earlier ones, and make it even starker. Listen to this on your phone while you're trudging a snowy trail in the Swiss alps. They are all good. Try Die Festung.

Okkultokrati - from Norway. this is more crusty punk rock sludgy, if you want something with a groove. You can like dance to this. Listen to No Light for Mass.

Merrimack - from France. Slower almost stoner-doom-y bm. I like Grey Rigorism.

Lustre - from Sweden. Atmospheric depressive in the vein of Paysage d'Hiver and the prison era Burzum records. So sad, but it is about the beauty of the sadness. Try Welcome Winter.

Karg - ambient adbm from Sweden. More of the stark slow sad stuff. Try Traumruinen.

Isengard - Here is Fenriz being Fenrizzy. Pagan, punk rock, silly, all-out. Listen to Vinterskugge.

Immortal - Norway. Diabolical Full Moon Mysticism.It is just perfect, listen to it.

Grisatre - French. Weird. Depressive bm. L'idee de Dieu. It's a bit like the Paysage d'Hiver and Lustre stuff, but more avant garde. Listen while you're contemplating existence, in your room in the dark alone with vodka.

Fell Voices - more adbm! From the US. Listen to Fell Voices. More brutal but still sooo sad.

Feast of the Epiphany - I know nothing about them, but the album I have is Indivinity III and it is fine adbm. Super ambient and droney.

Carpe Noctem - from Iceland. Really excellent upbeat pagan black metal. Get a little bedroom thrash going. Carpe Noctem is the only one I have.

Brulvahnatu - from Canada. Weird ambient adbm. Uterine Acid Swishes. Silly album and song names betray actually pretty great textures and sounds going on. Similar to Abruptum

This is a list! I don't know the last band from Canada.

I was very spoiled by Burzum when I was first getting into BM, unhappy with a lot of more recent bands that never seemed to pick up where he left off with Filosofem. What finally scratched that itch was Velvet Cacoon. They are ear drugs. I'm pretty sure they are the band that made putting "shoegaze" into bm a thing. After they stole a bunch of music and pretended they were crazy.

Also if you want true sick and pulsating Bathory worship, dip into the LLN.
addley
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt

Postby Pasta on Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:36 pm

kerble wrote:
Bernardo wrote:
Major wrote:

HOF

+1

So great.

+2
RSMurphy wrote:Everything I enjoy about metal: heavy, cool riffs, hooks, expressive vocals.
Pasta
Fucking Survivor....Fuck Cancer

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap