5%
Gorgoroth
No votes
Satyricon
2%

Total votes : 61

Re: Norwegian Black Metal Dome

Postby addley on Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:19 pm

Kate Rev wrote:Here are some less-conventional things to check out if you like Enslaved, Darkthrone, Burzum, etc. They are mostly not Norwegian, and mostly atmospheric depressive black metal or ambient black metal. If you like WITTR you might like these.

Xasthur - weird atmospheric depressive black metal from the US. It's just one guy. Try Defective Epitaph while you're alone in your room with the lights off and vodka.

Taake - from Norway. Very very from Norway. Try Taake.

Paysage d'Hiver - suuuuper atmospheric/ambient, wintery as fuck. Listen to this if you wish you could combine the Burzum prizon records feel with the atmosphere of the earlier ones, and make it even starker. Listen to this on your phone while you're trudging a snowy trail in the Swiss alps. They are all good. Try Die Festung.

Okkultokrati - from Norway. this is more crusty punk rock sludgy, if you want something with a groove. You can like dance to this. Listen to No Light for Mass.

Merrimack - from France. Slower almost stoner-doom-y bm. I like Grey Rigorism.

Lustre - from Sweden. Atmospheric depressive in the vein of Paysage d'Hiver and the prison era Burzum records. So sad, but it is about the beauty of the sadness. Try Welcome Winter.

Karg - ambient adbm from Sweden. More of the stark slow sad stuff. Try Traumruinen.

Isengard - Here is Fenriz being Fenrizzy. Pagan, punk rock, silly, all-out. Listen to Vinterskugge.

Immortal - Norway. Diabolical Full Moon Mysticism.It is just perfect, listen to it.

Grisatre - French. Weird. Depressive bm. L'idee de Dieu. It's a bit like the Paysage d'Hiver and Lustre stuff, but more avant garde. Listen while you're contemplating existence, in your room in the dark alone with vodka.

Fell Voices - more adbm! From the US. Listen to Fell Voices. More brutal but still sooo sad.

Feast of the Epiphany - I know nothing about them, but the album I have is Indivinity III and it is fine adbm. Super ambient and droney.

Carpe Noctem - from Iceland. Really excellent upbeat pagan black metal. Get a little bedroom thrash going. Carpe Noctem is the only one I have.

Brulvahnatu - from Canada. Weird ambient adbm. Uterine Acid Swishes. Silly album and song names betray actually pretty great textures and sounds going on. Similar to Abruptum

This is a list! I don't know the last band from Canada.

I was very spoiled by Burzum when I was first getting into BM, unhappy with a lot of more recent bands that never seemed to pick up where he left off with Filosofem. What finally scratched that itch was Velvet Cacoon. They are ear drugs. I'm pretty sure they are the band that made putting "shoegaze" into bm a thing. After they stole a bunch of music and pretended they were crazy.

Also if you want true sick and pulsating Bathory worship, dip into the LLN.
addley
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt

Postby Pasta on Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:36 pm

kerble wrote:
Bernardo wrote:
Major wrote:
Gardy wrote:They are Finnish.

Actually, they got back together in 2008.

HOF

+1

So great.

+2
RSMurphy wrote:Everything I enjoy about metal: heavy, cool riffs, hooks, expressive vocals.
Pasta
Fucking Survivor....Fuck Cancer

Postby Hilmar on Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:37 pm

Ulver had the best 'early period', which is what I assume we are comparing here. Best 'current/recent material' goes to Darkthrone, no question about it.
Hilmar

Postby mt on Fri May 09, 2014 2:27 am

I voted Darkthrone a while back, but am watching this tonight:
phpBB [media]

Immortal are completely ridiculous and silly in a pretty fun way.

It seems, to me, very much like "Venom kinda get some chops"

absolutely did not plan on watching more than 10 minutes and wound up watching the whole damn thing
mt
the white ho
the white ho

Postby Justin Foley on Fri May 09, 2014 10:57 am

Pasta wrote:
kerble wrote:
Bernardo wrote:
Major wrote:
Gardy wrote:They are Finnish.

Actually, they got back together in 2008.

HOF

+1

So great.

+2

Agreed.

= Justin
Justin Foley
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby sulfur)addict on Fri May 09, 2014 12:04 pm

Emperor's In The Nightside Eclipse remains the best black metal album I have ever heard. It's just powerful; the sound of a young, hungry band conquering the world. The fact that it introduced keys to black metal and led to a lot of really shitty bands playing a watered down, shitty version of that album still does not take away from what they accomplished.

That said, I could see why people give it to Darkthrone for consistency.

Fuck Burzum. Fuck Mayhem for that matter, "Freezing Moon" aside.
Kerouacian as fuck.

NewDarkAge wrote:why, the fuck, would you post zizek in this thread
sulfur)addict

Postby timpickens on Fri May 09, 2014 12:11 pm

sulfur)addict wrote:Emperor's In The Nightside Eclipse remains the best black metal album I have ever heard. It's just powerful; the sound of a young, hungry band conquering the world. The fact that it introduced keys to black metal and led to a lot of really shitty bands playing a watered down, shitty version of that album still does not take away from what they accomplished.

I agree. Mayhem's De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas and Burzum's Filosofem come pretty close for me, but even still I have to be in the right mood to listen to them. I can throw on In the Nightside Eclipse any time and be satisfied.
timpickens
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom

Postby Rémy on Fri May 09, 2014 3:06 pm

When I think about Norwegian Black Metal, all I can think of, before any other band, before any other record or music is this :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Q3LeWKYyCQ

For me, this record is the definition of Norwegian Black Metal. And I can't think of any reasons to disaprove of that. If you do, you're crazy. Or worse, untrue.
Rémy
freelance gynaecologist
freelance gynaecologist

Postby oZZma on Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:14 am

I just listened to Bergtatt.
I listened some other Ulver stuff long ago, nothing too memorabile and nothing I ever cared to listen again.
This one tried my patience. Rhytmically and harmonically dull, and those vocals are annoying as fuck, seems something you could find in some late 80's goth crap record. Such a hugely overrated band.
vade retro Santana
oZZma
chapman stick
chapman stick

Postby ErikG on Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:57 am

sulfur)addict wrote:Emperor's In The Nightside Eclipse remains the best black metal album I have ever heard.

This.

WF: Gehenna, First Spell
ErikG
sweetbreads
sweetbreads

Postby askii on Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:00 pm

oZZma wrote:I just listened to Bergtatt.
I listened some other Ulver stuff long ago, nothing too memorabile and nothing I ever cared to listen again.
This one tried my patience. Rhytmically and harmonically dull, and those vocals are annoying as fuck, seems something you could find in some late 80's goth crap record. Such a hugely overrated band.

Sounds like you may have tried it already, but if not, give Nattens Madrigal a listen. It's not only easily the best Ulver album (in the "Norwegian Black Metal" mode, anyway; I respect the later stuff but it doesn't really land for me) but also the purest and most monomaniacal expression of the Norwegian second wave barring Transilvanian Hunger. Like being stabbed in the heart with an icicle at 200 BPM.

In the RIYL category, I haven't seen Furze mentioned yet. Post-second wave but definitely carrying the torch -- which means not just aping Transilvanian Hunger, but following his own demented muse. Super idiosyncratic and "outsider"-y, while also being catchy as fuck. The records are surprisingly diverse and mostly great, but Baphomet Wade is the one I've been stuck on in recent years.

Oh! Also, Ved Buens Ende! Actual second-wave Norwegian Black Metal that sounds nothing at all like "second-wave Norwegian Black Metal" but instead some kind of sui generis prog-math-jazz-black metal fusion. Recently reissued. Drummer was also in Ulver and later Aura Noir.

The answer to the poll is Darkthrone, obviously.
askii
julie from mod squad
julie from mod squad

Postby oZZma on Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:13 am

askii wrote:Sounds like you may have tried it already, but if not, give Nattens Madrigal a listen.

I did, but it was long ago in my "I don't care for black metal" period :smt005
I'll give it another try!

askii wrote:Oh! Also, Ved Buens Ende! Actual second-wave Norwegian Black Metal that sounds nothing at all like "second-wave Norwegian Black Metal" but instead some kind of sui generis prog-math-jazz-black metal fusion. Recently reissued. Drummer was also in Ulver and later Aura Noir.

These are in my list already! FM estive albino recommended them to me (elsewhere :P ).
It's the same crazy guy from Virus, isn't it? :mrgreen: I enjoyed that band a lot, very inventive and fucking weird, in a good way!
vade retro Santana
oZZma
chapman stick
chapman stick

Postby A_Man_Who_Tries on Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:29 am

Should be more Blut Aus Nord love in this thread.
maintain a healthy foe list
A_Man_Who_Tries
saw big cat
saw big cat

Postby oZZma on Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:45 am

A_Man_Who_Tries wrote:Should be more Blut Aus Nord love in this thread.

I tried "Hallucinogen" and didn't like it at all.
(I obviously speak as someone who usually doesn't listen to black metal, but from my POV that record was boring)
vade retro Santana
oZZma
chapman stick
chapman stick

Postby A_Man_Who_Tries on Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:28 am

It's not great, but their discography is, overall.
maintain a healthy foe list
A_Man_Who_Tries
saw big cat
saw big cat

Postby oZZma on Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:13 am

A_Man_Who_Tries wrote:It's not great, but their discography is, overall.

I'll try something else then... thanks :)

I listened to "Nattens Madrigal" this morning.
I agree this is better than their first one and has interesting ideas but quality is mixed IMO
For example, "Wolf & The Devil" started as something I could have liked a lot... but has too much cheesy riffage in the middle
I could say the same for most songs, they have some cool stuff but then it's ruined by that "tacky metal" vibe for the other half of the song
I'm sure I'm missing something because I'm not into the genre, I know it's highly regarded as a masterpiece but honestly I didn't enjoy it much (although still better than Bergtatt, no whiny vocals and some good riffs)
Maybe I should just admit the truth is I DON't like black metal :mrgreen: , and the only stuff I truly enjoy are the records that are the farthest from the genre cliches, or only have some VAGUE black metal elements LOL

As for Ved Buens Ende, it was a record of "three listens in a row". Now I'm sad because I have been throwing away most of my life without knowing this Czral guy, fucking genius :smt007
vade retro Santana
oZZma
chapman stick
chapman stick

Postby kokorodoko on Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:12 pm

Incredibly (since I'm such a black metal guy) I don't care much for any of the bands listed, except Ulver. In the Nightside Eclipse is also pretty good I guess.

Mayhem could have went somewhere if Dead had stayed alive. His voice was otherworldly. The guitar solo on Freezing Moon is fantastic.

Should probably give Burzum a new chance someday.
kokorodoko
ultimate dicksucker
ultimate dicksucker

Previous

Return to Crap / Not Crap