Buddy Rich

Vote and debate.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Buddy Rich

BUDDY FUCKING RICH
42%
"This guy ... this is not my kinda guy."
23%
a little good, a little bad, like most folks.
35%

Total votes : 26

Re: Buddy Rich

Postby dontfeartheringo on Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:33 pm

dvockins wrote:
and Joe Morello's left hand is better

Morello was a gentleman, too. If we had a thunderdome, Morello would win.

I can only listen to so many minutes of the bus tapes. It takes me back to feeling angry and entitled back before I grew out of it. I don't EVER want to be that angry again. Ever.

This guy, he is not my kind of guy.

Also, the drummers I know who worship this guy? What's the drummer equivalent of 'tone-deaf'? The more-is-more mentality, Neal Peart worshiping, slightly-damp youth pastor/sysadmin types. Fuck 'em.
Anthony Flack wrote:The sax would be a cool instrument if people would only stop making it go burrrrrBLEEEEEE.
dontfeartheringo
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby SecondEdition on Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:40 pm

Gotta say a little good and a little bad, like most folks. Sure, a mind-boggling drummer technically. Could swing hard when he wanted to. Didn't have much soul, at least not to my ears, but that wasn't really the point. Rich was an entertainer, and wanted the music, which was big band jazz for big crowds, as tight as possible. I can understand that. Showmanship meant something to him - it would to you too if you'd been playing drums in vaudeville as a toddler.

He could've stood to work on his interpersonal relations.

Would I rather listen to Max Roach, Elvin Jones or Jimmy Cobb? Of course, but Buddy Rich and those guys are kind of like apples and oranges. It's just not the same thing.

I will say that I've seen a Max Roach drum solo on YouTube which actually functioned as a memorable musical piece, with a theme and variations. For all the rolls and cymbals and thwacks and paradiddles that I've seen clips of Rich doing, I've never once remembered them as music, as things that could be stuck in my head. The Roach drum solo has.

I like watching Rich do insane shit on drums in archival clips on youtube.
Life...life...I know it's got its ups and downs.

In the someday, what's that sound.

CS. PC. MM.
SecondEdition
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby steelglam on Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:47 pm

dvockins wrote:and Joe Morello's left hand is better

This could very well be true.

Morello was definitely more interesting as a soloist, if you ask me.
steelglam
pope
pope

Postby Angus Jung on Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:34 pm

dontfeartheringo wrote:slightly-damp youth pastor/sysadmin types

I used to love a woman who used the word "moist" to describe these types.
Angus Jung
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby steve on Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:28 pm

He's like an incredible athlete with a limited game intellect. You watch him do things literally nobody else can do, but then it dawns on you that the only utility it has is that moment where you realize nobody else can do it. It doesn't sound good as music or make other things better, it's just a flash-bang grenade. I realize it doesn't help the team, but god damn if Vlad didn't just throw a ball from the foul line over the right field fence there. Shit.
steve albini
Electrical Audio
sa at electricalaudio dot com
Quicumque quattuor feles possidet insanus est.
steve
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Anthony Flack on Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:46 pm

Yeah, you know I don't think I've actually listened to Buddy Rich's band, ever. Just seen loads of footage of him doing those solo exhibition pieces. Which aren't really music at all. Astonishing athleticism is what it is.

Not really interested in his outbursts. If you want to hear somebody acting like an asshole on a bus, just get on a bus.
Anthony Flack
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby tmidgett on Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:10 pm

steve wrote:He's like an incredible athlete with a limited game intellect. You watch him do things literally nobody else can do, but then it dawns on you that the only utility it has is that moment where you realize nobody else can do it. It doesn't sound good as music or make other things better, it's just a flash-bang grenade. I realize it doesn't help the team, but god damn if Vlad didn't just throw a ball from the foul line over the right field fence there. Shit.

I've never once started a clip of Buddy Rich playing the drums and not finished it.

So he's got a leg up for me on many other musical practitioners with blinding technique.

But I do think of him as a practitioner, a professional, someone who possessed a skill.

I can think of many drummers who remove him from memory after about ten seconds of their playing. And I stack him up against them--not the other way around.

Anyway, not crap, plus the bus tapes are quite wonderful.
tmidgett
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Angus Jung on Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:13 pm

Anthony Flack wrote:Not really interested in his outbursts. If you want to hear somebody acting like an asshole on a bus, just get on a bus.

I will fly to fucking New Zealand and spend two weeks riding buses if anybody out there can rant at one-tenth the quality of Buddy. His outbursts are for the ages.
Angus Jung
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Anthony Flack on Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:16 pm

Actually in my experience it doesn't work in New Zealand, and it doesn't work in Japan, where people as a rule do not get into screaming matches with total strangers. But it works really well in San Fransisco.
Anthony Flack
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby El Protoolio on Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:18 pm

He's not yelling at strangers, he's cussing out his band and threatening their jobs and threatening to physically kick their asses. His phrases and swears and insults are a masterwork of the English language. As a musician they are almost required listening.
El Protoolio
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby djimbe on Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:25 pm

SecondEdition wrote: Would I rather listen to Max Roach, Elvin Jones or Jimmy Cobb? Of course, but Buddy Rich and those guys are kind of like apples and oranges. It's just not the same thing.

I will say that I've seen a Max Roach drum solo on YouTube which actually functioned as a memorable musical piece, with a theme and variations. For all the rolls and cymbals and thwacks and paradiddles that I've seen clips of Rich doing, I've never once remembered them as music, as things that could be stuck in my head. The Roach drum solo has.

fer sure. Max Roach could make music with 4 drums that Buddy couldn't touch. Big band is soooo different from Bebop, though. There must have been 22 guys on that stage that I was in front of when I saw Buddy. Nobody had amplification or monitors. Fuckin' tight and balanced in a room that maybe held 200. That was his thing. It's not punk, no. And it IS contrived in a way, because of the ensemble and the charted nature of much of the catalog. Classical music can be stilted too, after all. Doesn't make it soul-less. The posted videos are cool, especially that 2 stroke roll on what looked like a Carson clip...
djimbe
urinated in reservoir
urinated in reservoir

Postby Anthony Flack on Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:47 pm

El Protoolio wrote:He's not yelling at strangers, he's cussing out his band and threatening their jobs and threatening to physically kick their asses. His phrases and swears and insults are a masterwork of the English language. As a musician they are almost required listening.

I was talking about the things you see riding a public bus, sheesh. I know Buddy Rich was cussing out his band. There's no sound in flutes and all that. But I'm afraid that Buddy Rich's contribution to the lexicon of being a jerk doesn't really mean much to me.
Anthony Flack
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby mt on Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:37 pm

Every time I hear the bus tapes, I picture a waiter asking Buddy if he would like to try the clams.
mt
the white ho
the white ho

Postby dvockins on Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:14 pm

He probably would have been hot shit on the David Lee Roth solo records. That probably would have become required listening for a few reasons.
dvockins
bill buckner
bill buckner

Postby dvockins on Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:06 am

My favorite thing about going down the youtube drum solo k-hole is the drum sounds.

Fuck a EQ4/Super Kick 2. Bullshit drum heads.
dvockins
bill buckner
bill buckner

Postby Redline on Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:41 am

I just bought one of those, ugh, I hate it...

Oh,...

Buddy Rich said:

You're playing like fucking children out there!!!

What is this, the House Of David band?!
Redline
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby dontfeartheringo on Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:44 am

Redline wrote:

I just bought one of those, ugh, I hate it...

Oh,...

Buddy Rich said:

You're playing like fucking children out there!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_of_David_(commune)

Anthony Flack wrote:The sax would be a cool instrument if people would only stop making it go burrrrrBLEEEEEE.
dontfeartheringo
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby Boombats on Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:46 am

dvockins wrote:He probably would have been hot shit on the David Lee Roth solo records. That probably would have become required listening for a few reasons.

My god yes.

dontfeartheringo wrote:
Redline wrote:

youtube-van-halen-house-of-pain

DLRYP
Escape Rope / Blxck Onion / Black Mesa
warmowski wrote:Fire back, absolutely, always and forever no matter how much it blows Andy's mind.
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby 154 on Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:10 pm

dvockins wrote:My favorite thing about going down the youtube drum solo k-hole is the drum sounds.

Yep. I watched an Elvin Jones 'lesson' (haha, good luck there, students) earlier and it looked like he just had a coated Ambassador with some kind of kick pad.
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby morespaceecho on Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:36 pm

dvockins wrote:Fuck a EQ4/Super Kick 2. Bullshit drum heads.

well, if you're looking for a jazzy sound using those heads, you're doing it wrong.

they're fine for a Standard Rock Kick sound.
morespaceecho
mike piazza
mike piazza

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap