well?

Primus
46%
Rush
54%

Total votes : 52

Re: THUNDERDOME: Primus vs Rush

Postby zom-zom on Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:28 pm

Yeah, you're right. Just like posting my photo.

zom-zom
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby Get dog costumes on Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:45 pm

Get dog costumes
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby Anthony Flack on Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:50 pm

Trying to decide if zom-zom is more interested in defending Rush or slagging Primus.
Anthony Flack
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Robot McGearman on Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:02 pm

zom-zom wrote:So far, the anti-Rush crowd's posts are full of bizarre pseudo-intellectual takes on how and why Rush made and makes the music that they create. How they took "elements" of whatever and did something bad with them.

Did it ever occur to any of you that these guys just came up with the stuff they play just like any other band? Why do you feel some need to pick it apart? If you don't like them, fine. They didn't ruin anything for anyone, they are not guilty of steering rock into some bad direction.

Primus is "good rock" for people that can't take rock guys' attempts to be pompous and pretentious. Some of the greatest rock music ever created is chock-full of truly incredibly dumb and ponderous lyrical flights of fancy. And you must realize that these lyrics were written by guys with long hair who drank too much, took lots of drugs, lived the life and had a blast.

Primus is just dork-rock for dorks. The guy's bass playing is horrible, the singing unlistenable, the jokey-joke clown music is sickeningly nasty wankery, augmented by the nastiest, ugliest slap-bass horrors.

True, but picking stuff apart due to personal taste is what makes conversation happen. Primus is just dork-rock for dorks just as Rush is nerd rock for nerds. But Rush to me is complete wankery that relies heavily on complex song structure and prog-rock styling (like Genesis for example). Geddy's voice doesn't bother me as people sing as their gonna sing.

The point with my comment on Rush is that it's obvious the influences of Sabbath, Zeppelin, and prog are firmly rooted in the Rush albums I listened to. In a way, Primus has the luxury of having Rush as an influence to build on along with other forms of music that influence their vision of how their music is to sound with the times they're living in. Rush only had to go on who their influences were and work with that. Primus could be the younger person's equivalent to Rush.

Nobody should come across as or attempt to be pompous or pretentious in life or in their art, but that's how their music sounds to my ears. People can play what they want. Did some research on them and they seem like cool guys with all the work they do for charity. But just because they do great things thanks to their platform as successful musicians doesn't mean I have to like their band's music. Same deal with U2. Same deal with the loads of anarcho-punk stuff I listened to when I was growing up.

I like Primus. Don't listen to them often but they're good. Rush, I couldn't get into for the musical reasons I mentioned. But I tried because I was interested so that should count for something. If I had to choose something to listen to it wouldn't be either band though.

Did Rush destroy or hinder rock in any way? Nah. Far from it. That dubious honor is rightfully bestowed upon the music of Huey Lewis and the News.
Last edited by Robot McGearman on Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robot McGearman
rose royce
rose royce

Postby biscuitdough on Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:03 pm

phpBB [media]
biscuitdough
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby Bernardo on Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:06 pm

zom-zom wrote:Why do you feel some need to pick it apart?

Welcome to the Crap/Not Crap forum, and to the internet, for that matter.
Bernardo
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby zom-zom on Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:15 pm

Anthony Flack wrote:Trying to decide if zom-zom is more interested in defending Rush or slagging Primus.

Being a positive person, I like to simply state that I like listening to Rush. It's not my usual bag of prog, but there is partially a nostalgia factor for hearing the "hits" on the radio and associated good times, but I never bought any of their music until a few years ago. I found a good copy of A Farewell to Kings and dug it. Also a band that I played in during my second year of college learned all of 2112 for some reason, though we were a "rock" cover band doing Doobie bros, Styx and such.

I like Rush more now than I did in high school. I appreciate them more. They lyrics are fine with me.. I'm in a band that has songs based on Dune Trilogy, Anime and other Sci-Fi themes for fuck's sake. What do I want to hear people singing about, their girlfriends? Relationships? Politics? So yeah man Temples of Syrinx, Cygnus X-1.. yeah man, give me some of that.
zom-zom
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby Anthony Flack on Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:22 am

I can't stomach them myself, and I could rationalise it this way or that way, but really it's just how it is. I like that you like them though. Everybody needs to like some unfashionable things.
Anthony Flack
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby mt on Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:32 am

Anthony Flack wrote:Everybody needs to like some unfashionable things.

What's "unfashionable" changes depending on where you are and who outnumbers you.
mt
the white ho
the white ho

Postby Anthony Flack on Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:41 am

Sure. I was trying to think of a better word to use. What I want to say is that everybody needs to have some lapses in taste that are personal to you. Part of your own unique musical fingerprint. I like to think that even the coolest, most impeccably tasteful musicians have a little space in their heart for something crap.

And I realise that 'crap' is subjective, but you know what I mean? Vive la différence.

That's one of the things I like about C/NC. I love it when somebody says, "you know what? Fuck you guys. I'm gonna be the one person here who admits to liking this."
Anthony Flack
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby mt on Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:50 am

Anthony Flack wrote:Sure. I was trying to think of a better word to use. What I want to say is that everybody needs to have some lapses in taste that are personal to you. Part of your own unique musical fingerprint. I like to think that even the coolest, most impeccably tasteful musicians have a little space in their heart for something crap.

And I realise that 'crap' is subjective, but you know what I mean? Vive la différence.

I get what you're saying.

I think some of the best threads in C/NC are when someone is passionate (in a real not trolling manner) about something the majority hates. So that stuff would be "crap" I guess, but whatever.

Also, I like Rush and a smattering of Primus every once in a while.
mt
the white ho
the white ho

Postby Marsupialized on Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:30 pm

phpBB [media]
Marsupialized
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Location: Chicago, over by Grand and Halsted. Fulton River district, I guess?

Postby geiginni on Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:41 pm

I can respect that Les is trying to use non-standard instrumentation. Didn't come off too good.

This is also a typical example of a front-of-house guy that doesn't know what the fuck to do with an instrument that doesn't have an output jack or a speaker attached to it.
geiginni
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby Pasta on Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:12 pm

Marsupialized wrote:
phpBB [media]

That is absolutely repulsive, and, at one point I liked Primus/CLaypool (okay about 20 years ago).

NO
NO
NO

THank's 'Sup, you got yer revenge foor the Dio shit I tagged you in on facebook.
RSMurphy wrote:Everything I enjoy about metal: heavy, cool riffs, hooks, expressive vocals.
Pasta
Fucking Survivor....Fuck Cancer

Postby madmanmunt on Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:16 pm

Pasta wrote:That is absolutely repulsive

But it made me laugh, and thus brought a small measure of joy into the world.
Book of Leo, Chapter 19 Verse 46 wrote:The man thought that he knew the glory and the wrath wrought of the Stratocaster, but lo! He was corrected.

Let them measure my anus and see if it is dilated.
madmanmunt
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby zom-zom on Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:21 pm

Oh man is that horrid. Just a terrible, plodding and bad interpretation of a good Rush song.

And just say a few words.. holy crap you'd think this guy had never been onstage before. And then the singing... worse than I imagined. The guy is a cartoon character. How can anyone stand onstage and "sing" like that?
zom-zom
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby biscuitdough on Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:03 am

Whoa. I don't think that cello was tuned correctly.
biscuitdough

Postby Boombats on Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:10 am

geiginni wrote:This is also a typical example of a front-of-house guy that doesn't know what the fuck to do with an instrument that doesn't have an output jack or a speaker attached to it.

Yeah man, it sounds like a cup of paint water.

I am the first guy to make excuses for a Claypool thing, but fuck this.
Escape Rope / Blxck Onion / Black Mesa
warmowski wrote:Fire back, absolutely, always and forever no matter how much it blows Andy's mind.
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby M.H on Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:19 am

big_dave wrote: Self-awareness, maturity and reflection seem like the exact inverse to Primus in particular so I can't see how anyone could not be in Rush's corner for this one.

My god big_dave, we're not trying to choose which band would be best at counselling abused orphans here. Does it ever get tedious thinking about art in the same way most people approach the ballot box?

"Self-awareness, maturity and reflection"... in a face off between Primus and Rush. J.H.C.
M.H
jose raul capablanca
jose raul capablanca

Postby mt on Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:20 am

big_dave wrote:I shit you not. Find the interview, it's a good read. You so rarely read a rock guy appraise his former positions or aesthetics from the position of maturity, it's usually all about celebrating youth and rebellion, so it was refreshing.

I probably enjoyed reading the Rush guy's account of why he used to be an objectivist and his distrust of British cynicism more than listening to ninety-nine percent of hard rock records anyway.

Hey big_dave, if you have a link to the interview I wouldn't mind reading it. I know he did mentioned briefly something of the sort in a Rolling Stone interview here: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... n-20120612

but your mention here had me searching for something longer and I found this one: http://www.macleans.ca/general/on-intro ... e-another/

which had this:

I remain the optimist: you just do your best and hope for the best. But it’s an evolving state of mind. I still totally believe in individual rights and individual responsibility and in choosing to do good. On the liberal side of things, they go to an extreme of how people need to be led, and they can’t handle freedom. Pure libertarianism believes that people will be generous and help each other. Well, they won’t. I wish it were so, and I live that way. I help panhandlers, but other people are, “Oh look at that—why doesn’t he get a job?” While I believe in all that freedom, I also believe that no one should suffer needlessly. A realization I had lately: it is impossible to follow the teachings of Jesus Christ and be a Republican. It’s philosophically absolutely opposed—if they could only think about what they were saying for a minute. That’s when you get caught up in the webs of what people call themselves and how they behave. You just become adaptable and try to lead a good life in ways that make sense, regardless. Because I know at the end of it, if I’m going to meet Jesus or Allah or Buddha, I’m going to be all right.

But doesn't seem to be the same article.

If you have a link to the article you mention, I wouldn't mind checking it out.
mt
the white ho
the white ho

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap