50%
Not Crap
50%

Total votes : 28

Ben Affleck Joint: Gone Girl

Postby Jeremy B on Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:47 pm

The movie Gone Girl.

Is it Crap or Not Crap?

Jon Fine wrote:What had started out as free and welcoming ended up becoming as rigid and rule-bound as everything I'd hoped it would replace.
Jeremy B
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Re: Ben Affleck Joint: Gone Girl

Postby Adrian on Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:08 am

NC. But somehow not great either, even though all the ingredients are there.
Adrian
doctor feelgood
doctor feelgood

Postby pldms on Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:51 am

If it had ended ~20 minutes earlier you have a pretty perceptive and darkly amusing satire on the media circus that surrounds such crime cases.

What you are actually left with seems to treat the rampant silliness earlier as something that raises serious moral issues that need discussing. Which is preposterous.

Not crap. I rank it above Wild Things and Basic Instinct, but, y'know, it's getting ranked with all things Brian De Palma-ish. Not the full Hitchcock.
pldms
vishnu
vishnu

Postby Marsupialized on Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:46 am

There are some things I am just not doing, watching a movie starring Ben Affleck is one of them
Marsupialized
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Location: Chicago, over by Grand and Halsted. Fulton River district, I guess?

Postby steve on Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:32 pm

Decent movie on the level of pure execution, but it's hard to get behind a movie that will become shorthand for a certain bro-sexist perspective. [spoiler] I mean as a culture we don't really need to reintroduce either the "crazy bitch" or "women can fake rape and ruin men's lives" memes into discussions of sexual violence.[/spoiler]
steve albini
Electrical Audio
sa at electricalaudio dot com
Quicumque quattuor feles possidet insanus est.
steve
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Angus Jung on Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:50 pm

Marsupialized wrote:There are some things I am just not doing, watching a movie starring Ben Affleck is one of them
Angus Jung
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby pldms on Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:00 pm

steve wrote:Decent movie on the level of pure execution, but it's hard to get behind a movie that will become shorthand for a certain bro-sexist perspective.

The book was popular, from what I'd heard, with women more than men. I've heard people say that they've had animated discussions arguing in favour of the actions of one of the two main characters. The director said they were careful to keep the balance of perspectives.

To which I can only scratch my head, because she's clearly a pantomime villain. I guess Affleck's character is unpleasant to some degree, measured on the scale of the every day. If you worked with him you'd probably hate him. But Amy is way off at the Hannibal Lecter end of the scale.

And like Lecter there's a point where I rather enjoyed her amorality, but by the end she has no fun with it. What does she want? To be back with Nick in suburban Missouri, it seems. What a waste.

Linda Fiorentino got away with the money in The Last Seduction.

P.S.
Code: Select all
[color=#F7EBC6]secret![/color]
pldms
vishnu
vishnu

Postby Ranxerox on Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:27 pm

steve wrote:Decent movie on the level of pure execution, but it's hard to get behind a movie that will become shorthand for a certain bro-sexist perspective.

'But it was written by a woman!'

I don't even know if that is true, but it is a rejoinder I have twice heard flung up in a near panic of freedom-joy by two young men who might otherwise have suffered the tragedy of a reserved enjoyment of the movie had they not held close the belief that a female pen short circuits the male gaze and all that it implies. That freedom allowed them to gush 'it was horrifying' or something like that.

Haven't seen the movie or read the book, but Fincher, along with PT Anderson, is an 'auteur' I will give time to just to see him tape and float a moving picture. Looking forward to it.
Ranxerox
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard

Postby numberthirty on Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:40 pm

Ranxerox wrote:

'But it was written by a woman!'

I don't even know if that is true

Actually, it was. In the little bit that I've come across discussion of her work, critics tend to give her a fair amount of grief over the way she portrays women.
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Flaneur on Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:37 pm

The tricky thing is (spoiler)

that in the end there are no bad or bad-intentioned guys in the movie, and that two of them are set up in a Machiavellian way to be rapists and "bad guys."

In any case, just as The Social Network fit the moment it was released, with the shift of money/ambition form Wall Street to Silicon Valley, this one captures the moment of "takedown culture" (passing over the idea that we're in an era of "takedown culture" because we have decades of house-cleaning to do).

The media side of it reminded me of Howard Dean, of all people. Fincher does a great job at showing how a split-second throwaway moment can become a storytelling image in news-ertainment.
Flaneur
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby eliya on Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:30 pm

Haven't watched the movie, but read the book. The book is bad if you're looking for something that would fall under literature, but otherwise it has a pretty good plot. You know, it's written in a way where you must keep on reading to find out what's happening next.

The ending (of the book) is terrible and turned me off on the book as a whole.

Also, this:
Wikipedia wrote:Some critics have accused Flynn of misogyny due to the often unflattering depiction of female characters in her books.[2] She has responded to the accusations by stating that she felt that the idea that women are "innately good, innately nurturing" put a "very, very small window on what feminism is" and that while people will dismiss "trampy, vampy, bitchy types – but there's still a big pushback against the idea that women can be just pragmatically evil, bad and selfish".
eliya
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby Wood Goblin on Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:40 am

eliya wrote:Haven't watched the movie, but read the book. The book is bad if you're looking for something that would fall under literature, but otherwise it has a pretty good plot. You know, it's written in a way where you must keep on reading to find out what's happening next.

The ending (of the book) is terrible and turned me off on the book as a whole.

Also, this:
Wikipedia wrote:Some critics have accused Flynn of misogyny due to the often unflattering depiction of female characters in her books.[2] She has responded to the accusations by stating that she felt that the idea that women are "innately good, innately nurturing" put a "very, very small window on what feminism is" and that while people will dismiss "trampy, vampy, bitchy types – but there's still a big pushback against the idea that women can be just pragmatically evil, bad and selfish".

I read it too and agree that it's not great literature by a long shot, but it does pull you forward. I knocked it out in two or three days. It's as good as, say, Jim Thompson or Raymond Chandler.
Wood Goblin
Guardian Diety of the Planet

Postby NewDarkAge on Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:52 pm

Wood Goblin wrote:Raymond Chandler

Raymond Chandler most definitely is great literature.
bishopdante wrote:BTW was not suggesting that my particular area of interest is buttocks, but it is normal for people of all sexes and sexual persuasions to be into butts, is not weird.

Sighthound
NewDarkAge

Postby Wood Goblin on Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:52 pm

Chandler is fun. But I've never understood how or why he's been elevated to "great" status.
Wood Goblin

Postby Neuloveyou on Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:17 pm

Chandler? The cadence of the writing. Not the words but their arrangement. And that his detectives always understood they were beaten-down operators being manipulated by structures of authority beyond their control and were troubled by it. Not in the "we're all just getting screwed by the big guys, where's the justice in that" sense but by the knowledge that their actions were closing off the jouissance and antic nature of crime, that they were being made into their own jailers.

That's what I reckon anyway.
Neuloveyou
took picture of naked guy
took picture of naked guy

Postby NewDarkAge on Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:40 pm

Neuloveyou wrote:Chandler? The cadence of the writing. Not the words but their arrangement. And that his detectives always understood they were beaten-down operators being manipulated by structures of authority beyond their control and were troubled by it. Not in the "we're all just getting screwed by the big guys, where's the justice in that" sense but by the knowledge that their actions were closing off the jouissance and antic nature of crime, that they were being made into their own jailers.

That's what I reckon anyway.

That's a pretty good summary. Chandler had a huge talent for prose, which is why Waugh and Eliot held him in such high regard. He was a master of metaphor as well.

Anyway, carry on.
bishopdante wrote:BTW was not suggesting that my particular area of interest is buttocks, but it is normal for people of all sexes and sexual persuasions to be into butts, is not weird.

Sighthound
NewDarkAge

Postby Ranxerox on Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:02 am

Meh.

I appreciate the satirization of media grime and cowing of logic and reason via manipulations of male guilt and political correctness, but one scene containing those dynamics would have sufficed as opposed to an entire film.

The end doesn't scan at all.

Meh.
Ranxerox
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard

Postby CSP_Skater on Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:26 am

I just read the Wikipedia entry for this film. Crap, no waffles. I can confidently write that without needing to see the film.
CSP_Skater
les miserables
les miserables

Postby Heliotropic on Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:56 pm

I demand that a work of art's aesthetic be flush with my squaring of the moral circle of my time.
Heliotropic
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard

Postby Evin Relocation on Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:50 am

Barrrrf.

We sat through this on vacation. This film wishes it was smart, and prays that you buy the precepts, constructs, and ideas that it presents as ripe fodder for discussion or examination. Too bad it forgot to pack any characters or decent writing along with its omnipresent self-awareness and "spoooooky soundtrack."

I don't know who the hell decided this thing was cohesive in any way. The satire is too overplayed. The leaps in logic, or at least presumed character logic, too torturous and un-engaging to follow. The people in it never move beyond caricatures or archetypes. Which is fine, but if you're asking for the emotional buy-in, well, you'll be waiting for awhile.

It's also, frankly, fucking BORING.

Did you see Audition? Then you saw the good version of this movie.
Evin Relocation
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt

Next

Return to Crap / Not Crap