Gone Girl

Crap
50%
Not Crap
50%

Total votes : 28

Re: Ben Affleck Joint: Gone Girl

Postby Heeby Jeeby on Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:30 am

I read the book on a long train journey and my girlfriend just finished it yesterday. Both agreed that the ending was terrible.

Clyde wrote:Couple of other things-The duel unreliable narrators conceit largely doesn't work as the film mostly encourages us to identify the basic goodness of Baffleck, his head-slamming of Amy at the end aside. (And, hey, she may have driven him to that, ya know.)

That's the thing. Using dual narrators could've allowed for split affinities but it was clear for the most part that Affleck was to be considered the flawed protagonist. Even with that, a different ending could've forced the reader/viewer to reconsider identifying with him throughout.
Heeby Jeeby
World War 11 Veteran
World War 11 Veteran

Postby Auntie Ovipositor on Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:37 pm

Germ War wrote:
steve wrote:[spoiler] I mean as a culture we don't really need to reintroduce either the "crazy bitch" or "women can fake rape and ruin men's lives" memes into discussions of sexual violence.[/spoiler]

Jesus, THANK YOU. This was my exact reaction to the movie.

Plus she was a spoiled rich girl - didn't do anything to get all of the money she has. The character was as horrible as it was unbelievable.

This movie was so much crap. The wife paused it after 15 minutes and we outlined what was about to happen. 2 hours later it ticked off the last of our "Oh - and of course this will happen" items. A thriller without thrills, suspense, or surprise. Yay? Mix in some god awful characters and rudderless direction and flush immediately.

Flaneur wrote:In any case, just as The Social Network fit the moment it was released, with the shift of money/ambition form Wall Street to Silicon Valley,

The Social Network came out in 2010. Seems to be at least a decade too late to capture that moment.

Wood Goblin wrote:It's as good as, say, Jim Thompson or Raymond Chandler.

I used to think a lot of you. Now will never believe another word you write.
The Loyalists are a rock band from Oakland, California
Auntie Ovipositor
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby Wood Goblin on Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:04 pm

I'm talking about the book. Haven't seen the movie.
Wood Goblin
Guardian Diety of the Planet

Postby Auntie Ovipositor on Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:36 pm

Wood Goblin wrote:I'm talking about the book. Haven't seen the movie.

Don't try to soften the blow.
The Loyalists are a rock band from Oakland, California
Auntie Ovipositor

Postby punch_the_lion on Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:49 pm

I will go out on a limb and say that Patricia Highsmith is a better writer than the author of Gone Girl, having never read the latter.
punch_the_lion
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love

Postby Wood Goblin on Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:10 pm

punch_the_lion wrote:I will go out on a limb and say that Patricia Highsmith is a better writer than the author of Gone Girl, having never read the latter.

Absolutely.

She's a better writer than Jim Thompson too.
Wood Goblin

Postby blackmarket on Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:44 am

Germ War wrote:
steve wrote:[spoiler] I mean as a culture we don't really need to reintroduce either the "crazy bitch" or "women can fake rape and ruin men's lives" memes into discussions of sexual violence.[/spoiler]

Jesus, THANK YOU. This was my exact reaction to the movie. Like, hey, it was pretty interesting plot-wise and there was a lot going on with it, but it seemed decidedly anti-feminist at a time when it seems particularly dangerous to reintroduce these topics into the national discussion.

The film is only anti-feminist if you believe all women are psychopaths.
blackmarket
not wearing any pants
not wearing any pants

Postby 154 on Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:16 pm

crustandcrumb wrote:i hated it.

Me too. It was as infuriating as it was unbelievable. Maybe the book made more sense of things: more development of the 'psycho' woman, her extremely successful family running out of money overnight and taking her inheritance so they go and buy a McMansion in MIssouri (?), and a bar, and Doogie Howser's character just happened to fall into place (after a 20 year absence) for her backup plan at the lake house to 'work' (?), after being robbed by con artists who knew she was up to something but didn't come forward when her captivity story went national, to the diligent detective just giving up by the end when there were obvious holes in her story, and then somehow Affleck's spunk baby made him stick around in the end?

Parts of it could have been interesting like her being a chameleon to make men feel good about themselves, but even that was cartoonish. The line about deception and compromise "..that's just marriage!" came across more lol than insightful. And obviously it played on common, dangerous stereotypes ('crazy-eyed woman' [with OCD neat freak tendencies to boot!], 'flawed but ultimately good' doe eyed & flannel husband) but didn't add anything to it, only using it for 'entertainment'.

The first half was somewhat compelling, I'll give it that much. By the end you're there just to see how much lower it will go, and it 'delivers'. Crap.
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby hellholiday on Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:37 am

Just sat through this. Very dumb as a thriller, really boring as a satire and misogynistic.

Affeck flies outta state days after all the initial shit goes down with his wife to meet face to face with Cochran Bolt and then what happens? He becomes the only witness interviewer for his defense.

I never noticed how short Ben's arms were before this. Barely past his belt.
hellholiday
took picture of naked guy
took picture of naked guy

Postby emmanuelle cunt on Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:47 am

I enjoyed the fuck out it, Fincher really knows his stuff. Only gripe I had was not how it ended, but when - in terms of plot development nothing happens in the last 15 minutes, the scene with Amy fainting in front of the house would be a far better moment to end the film. It even seemed to be filmed like it was the ending shot. NC.
caix wrote:^ more like "a manual vagina."
emmanuelle cunt
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby Wood Goblin on Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:51 am

The “cool girl” section of this book should be required reading for all dudes. It’s key in establishing sympathy for the otherwise unsympathetic Amy character. It’s also a great standalone rant that addresses a very real grievance.
Wood Goblin

Previous

Return to Crap / Not Crap