Total votes : 141

Band: Mclusky

Postby Chris Hardings on Wed Nov 19, 2003 5:24 pm

awesome
Chris Hardings
howard shore
howard shore

Postby Andrew L. on Sat Oct 09, 2004 11:04 am

I would almost vote ‘crap’ based on how much the bassist annoys me in the 2 videos I just watched.

But I won’t. Otherwise they seem fine/good.
Andrew L.
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love

Postby Noah on Sat Oct 09, 2004 3:06 pm

there must be something i am not understanding about this band and the recording of this new album

-noah
your an idiot
Noah
"amarillo slim" preston
"amarillo slim" preston

Postby Angry_Dragon on Sat Oct 09, 2004 3:13 pm

I know I was hating on these dudes a while back but I did grab that newest record finally. NOT CRAP
Better yet, eat the placenta!!!
Angry_Dragon
18th Amendment

Location: Baltimore, Where Murderous Football Players Own Resturaunts

Postby 154 on Sat Oct 09, 2004 9:15 pm

their first 2 records are kind of boring. nearly every song has a distorted bass intro, a quirky guitar lead, and insincere vocals. but 'the difference..' is really, really good and makes them NOT CRAP.
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby full point on Tue Nov 15, 2005 5:19 pm

I think they're great.

Ridiculously great.

I'm sad to hear that they are no longer together.
:spade: :spade:
full point
took picture of naked guy

Postby a. james on Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:34 pm

i posted in the misspelled thread that they reminded me of the liars first album.

this kind of explains it:

154 wrote:their first 2 records are kind of boring. nearly every song has a distorted bass intro, a quirky guitar lead, and insincere vocals. but 'the difference..' is really, really good and makes them NOT CRAP.

also of "the cat and the cobra" by les savy fav.

whatever.

kind of typical sounding stuff these days to my own ears.

hey, quirky...weird. art? emotion? anyone?
Marsupialized wrote:I am NOT sorry I yelled. I should have yelled louder.
a. james
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby full point on Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:07 pm

that damned fly wrote:i posted in the misspelled thread that they reminded me of the liars first album.

this kind of explains it:

154 wrote:their first 2 records are kind of boring. nearly every song has a distorted bass intro, a quirky guitar lead, and insincere vocals. but 'the difference..' is really, really good and makes them NOT CRAP.

also of "the cat and the cobra" by les savy fav.

whatever.

kind of typical sounding stuff these days to my own ears.

hey, quirky...weird. art? emotion? anyone?

I dig the sound of "The Cat and the Cobra" but, yeah, it's not their flagship recording, imo.

"Go Forth", though?! That, my friend, is a bitchin' record. One of my faves.
full point

Postby covert on Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:14 pm

Intense, genuinely funny and engaging both live and on record, best responses to hecklers I've ever been lucky enough to witness, and they flat-out sounded great.

About as far from crap as you can get. Hurry up, Too Pure, with Be Average To Each Other.
covert
viceroy
viceroy

Postby Chance on Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:28 pm

Not Crap.

One of the bands I play in played with these guys last summer. They were sexcellent. The band they were touring with, called Oceansize, were CRAPTACULAR!
Chance
rookie
rookie

Postby Breadvan on Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:41 pm

This is a re-write of an old post. Sorry for the long length and bad writing. I just really love this rock band called mclusky.

Wikipedia says Mclusky should be spelt as mclusky...

mclusky was a fantastic band.

The first time I saw them live was in a tent in Newport, South Wales about five years ago. They were playing a mini festival.

Although the other bands at the festival were trying as hard as they could to be interesting in the moment, their ideas were boring, their sound was inane, and their energy was as lacking as a Hyper Value battery four hours after plugging it into a guitar pedal.

There was a lazy, stupid, and ugly attitude sludging from these bands. One rock band had five digital full keyboard size synthesizers on stage. How will that bring me rock? Another band had a fella with his Marshall 4x12 stack set really loud. The other members of the band played much quieter by comparison. Neither of these bands rocked.

mclusky came on stage around the middle of the day, holding some cheap looking guitars. There were only 20 to 30 people in the tent, including my sister and me. As soon as mclusky started playing, I smiled. I couldn't help it. They amazed me a couple of bars into the first song. This band performed with an interesting energy that impressed the audience without the band members having to play on expensive equipment like their less talented peers did. mclusky's music impressed everyone in the tent. Even though mclusky were unpopular and unimportant to everyone who wasn't in the tent, they rocked. They were full of energy and they rocked.

Think of your own figurative language about a band being full of energy and rocking and being a great live band that rules and imagine that you've inserted it into this paragraph.

They smashed and broke a guitar or two on the day. And you will know us by the trail of dead had good reviews in the music press which mentioned gear smashing, so back then this was considered by us dumb Welsh kids to be a tiny bit more cool and fashionable than usual for a rock band to smash a guitar to bits.

The singer introduced one song with the line, 'This is about shoving a can of Coca Cola up your arse and taking a photograph of it'. It was the best gig of the day, and much better than mclusky's disappointing recordings of the time.

mclusky's first album sucked. The performance was alright, but the recording was utterly botched, which on this record ruined the enjoyment for the listener. It wasn't bad like a 4-track cassette recording, or some likeable noisy recording you've heard before. There was bad digital reverb, and ignorant misuse of microphones and recording equipment which didn't flatter mclusky at all. The Welsh music world and its recording techniques and habits aren't really suited to those bands who are influenced by the best British and American punk rock bands. Oh well, at least their songs were great, and their performance had that angry energy spent in just the right way like all the better rock bands can do. The important components of a fantastic rock band were already there (the band members).

There aren't many singers who sing like Andy Falkous. Is there one? Is there a singer who sings like Andy Falkous? His singing voice is often bizarre, well timed, and well placed in mclusky's songs. He sometimes sings weird choppy rhythms for hooks and choruses. They are bizarre. Woo woo and woo hoo. Is there someone else who sings like that?

Jon Chapple attacked his bass guitar like he just found out that she cheated on him. When he is on stage playing bass guitar he looks like he has rabies. Hear him sing this:
'Don't go fucking in the barn, because the barn's on fire!'

Take note that a teenage girl friend of the band said on an internet
messageboard that this quote means 'Not shagging a girl who is having her period'

I feel like I'm the only man in the world who can't understand figurative language from a song until it is explained to me. mclusky's songs never seemed literal to me. There seems to be an attitude from the band that the listener should be clever enough to understand everything. This is a plus for dumb people, as we can enjoy a sense of lyrical mystery from our favourite band.

Compared to a band like the Minutemen, there is no brilliant line from mclusky that means something useful and real. There's no "psychological methods to sell should be destroyed". What mclusky have are lyrics that sound great when shouted out, but are mostly figurative and unclear. But forget that, because the sound of the singing adds to the rock.

People say the first drummer of mclusky was technically poor. He may have been, but the performance on mclusky's first two albums as a band was wonderful. Who cares if the drummer made technical mistakes or was weak? He wasn't the guy from Led Zeppelin or Nirvana, but Mclusky Do Dallas is still a good album. Listen to it and hear it for yourself.

mclusky made a good decision to write more unusual songs for their second good album, because after they split up, fans were left with two notable punk rock albums of strong contrasting shades of song structure and mood from a band which can't be emulated. What more could a rock music listener want from a band?
Breadvan
kukla
kukla

Postby full point on Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:47 pm

Breadvan wrote:This is a re-write of an old post. Sorry for the long length and bad writing. I just really love this rock band called mclusky.

Wikipedia says Mclusky should be spelt as mclusky...

mclusky was a fantastic band.

The first time I saw them live was in a tent in Newport, South Wales about five years ago. They were playing a mini festival.

Although the other bands at the festival were trying as hard as they could to be interesting in the moment, their ideas were boring, their sound was inane, and their energy was as lacking as a Hyper Value battery four hours after plugging it into a guitar pedal.

There was a lazy, stupid, and ugly attitude sludging from these bands. One rock band had five digital full keyboard size synthesizers on stage. How will that bring me rock? Another band had a fella with his Marshall 4x12 stack set really loud. The other members of the band played much quieter by comparison. Neither of these bands rocked.

mclusky came on stage around the middle of the day, holding some cheap looking guitars. There were only 20 to 30 people in the tent, including my sister and me. As soon as mclusky started playing, I smiled. I couldn't help it. They amazed me a couple of bars into the first song. This band performed with an interesting energy that impressed the audience without the band members having to play on expensive equipment like their less talented peers did. mclusky's music impressed everyone in the tent. Even though mclusky were unpopular and unimportant to everyone who wasn't in the tent, they rocked. They were full of energy and they rocked.

Think of your own figurative language about a band being full of energy and rocking and being a great live band that rules and imagine that you've inserted it into this paragraph.

They smashed and broke a guitar or two on the day. And you will know us by the trail of dead had good reviews in the music press which mentioned gear smashing, so back then this was considered by us dumb Welsh kids to be a tiny bit more cool and fashionable than usual for a rock band to smash a guitar to bits.

The singer introduced one song with the line, 'This is about shoving a can of Coca Cola up your arse and taking a photograph of it'. It was the best gig of the day, and much better than mclusky's disappointing recordings of the time.

mclusky's first album sucked. The performance was alright, but the recording was utterly botched, which on this record ruined the enjoyment for the listener. It wasn't bad like a 4-track cassette recording, or some likeable noisy recording you've heard before. There was bad digital reverb, and ignorant misuse of microphones and recording equipment which didn't flatter mclusky at all. The Welsh music world and its recording techniques and habits aren't really suited to those bands who are influenced by the best British and American punk rock bands. Oh well, at least their songs were great, and their performance had that angry energy spent in just the right way like all the better rock bands can do. The important components of a fantastic rock band were already there (the band members).

There aren't many singers who sing like Andy Falkous. Is there one? Is there a singer who sings like Andy Falkous? His singing voice is often bizarre, well timed, and well placed in mclusky's songs. He sometimes sings weird choppy rhythms for hooks and choruses. They are bizarre. Woo woo and woo hoo. Is there someone else who sings like that?

Jon Chapple attacked his bass guitar like he just found out that she cheated on him. When he is on stage playing bass guitar he looks like he has rabies. Hear him sing this:
'Don't go fucking in the barn, because the barn's on fire!'

Take note that a teenage girl friend of the band said on an internet
messageboard that this quote means 'Not shagging a girl who is having her period'

I feel like I'm the only man in the world who can't understand figurative language from a song until it is explained to me. mclusky's songs never seemed literal to me. There seems to be an attitude from the band that the listener should be clever enough to understand everything. This is a plus for dumb people, as we can enjoy a sense of lyrical mystery from our favourite band.

Compared to a band like the Minutemen, there is no brilliant line from mclusky that means something useful and real. There's no "psychological methods to sell should be destroyed". What mclusky have are lyrics that sound great when shouted out, but are mostly figurative and unclear. But forget that, because the sound of the singing adds to the rock.

People say the first drummer of mclusky was technically poor. He may have been, but the performance on mclusky's first two albums as a band was wonderful. Who cares if the drummer made technical mistakes or was weak? He wasn't the guy from Led Zeppelin or Nirvana, but Mclusky Do Dallas is still a good album. Listen to it and hear it for yourself.

mclusky made a good decision to write more unusual songs for their second good album, because after they split up, fans were left with two notable punk rock albums of strong contrasting shades of song structure and mood from a band which can't be emulated. What more could a rock music listener want from a band?

So was their old singer really a sex criminal?
full point

Postby emmanuelle cunt on Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:18 pm

i love them. loud, distorted, raw and loud - i have problem with people describing them selfes as "rock fans" and disliking mclusky (in fact, i don't. but i like how arrogant this phrase sounds) such a shame they are not together anymore. NOT CRAP, no waffles.
Last edited by emmanuelle cunt on Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
caix wrote:^ more like "a manual vagina."
emmanuelle cunt
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby hollis on Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:34 pm

yeah, as I say
born in cardiff, raised by wolves

fucking awesome
born in cardiff, raised by wolves
hollis
alderman
alderman

Postby Chance on Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:36 pm

Breadvan wrote:There aren't many singers who sing like Andy Falkous. Is there one? Is there a singer who sings like Andy Falkous? His singing voice is often bizarre, well timed, and well placed in mclusky's songs. He sometimes sings weird choppy rhythms for hooks and choruses. They are bizarre. Woo woo and woo hoo. Is there someone else who sings like that?

I have to disagree with you there. When I saw them I didn't know that both the guitarist and bassist sang. They sound exactly alike to me.
Chance
rookie
rookie

Postby Breadvan on Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:19 am

full point wrote:So was their old singer really a sex criminal?

What?

There was a different bass player before, back when mclusky was called best. They blagged that old name from the title of a vacuous women's magazine. That former bass player quit so that he could act in a Welsh language soap opera.

http://www.seriouslygroovy.com/best.htm

Someone else can ramble about mclusky's sense of humour...
Breadvan
kukla
kukla

Postby Breadvan on Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:21 am

When I saw them I didn't know that both the guitarist and bassist sang. They sound exactly alike to me.

Take a chance by buying mclusky's two good albums. I couldn't tell the difference between Lou Reed and John Cale when I first heard White light/White heat. Take a chance!
Breadvan
kukla
kukla

Postby thebookofkevin on Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:39 am

sorry to draw the attention away from sex criminals and pavement ripoffs (hey, i voted not crap, it's a joke), but,.......

full point wrote:"Go Forth", though?! That, my friend, is a bitchin' record. One of my faves.

I am to take this as similar to "the go forth has more of the oomf-juice than the cat and the cobra" and to say "are you fucking kidding me?"
-
Did you like Rome at all?

I just remember hearing Go Forth when it came out and thinking that it was a shitty direction for them to go in.
thebookofkevin
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast

Postby muzorewi's daughter on Sat Nov 26, 2005 1:56 pm

terrible band.
muzorewi's daughter

Postby emmanuelle cunt on Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:51 am

i'm bumping this cause yesterday i listened to their debut album for the first time in quite a time, and i realized that the first side of it is probably one of the best pieces of rock music ever recorded. i still remember when i first heard it (not that it was that long ago) - after the first two seconds of the song "joy" i thought "this is going to be good" and it was. like breadvan, i can't help smiling when i hear them. plus, they were a proof that i don't care about 95% of modern rock bands because they fucking suck, not cause i'm too old.

oh, and how can you not love a band with album titles like "my pain and sadness is more sad and painful than yours" or "the difference between me and you is that i'm not on fire"?
Last edited by emmanuelle cunt on Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
emmanuelle cunt

Next

Return to Crap / Not Crap