Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Mclusky?

Crap
16%
not crap
84%

Total votes : 141

Postby Rodabod on Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:07 am

mattgringo wrote: i'll happily send you a parcel of such music on whatever format you desire.
#

Consider sending an electronic parcel to the EA Gmail account.
Rodabod
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Adam CR on Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:26 am

mattgringo wrote:in my humble opinion, there are many better british bands.

I'd imagine most would agree that there are some British bands who are more impressive than Mclusky, but quality is seldom to be equated with popularity which is essentially what allowed them to tour the US (well, that and being on Beggars).

In Mclusky's defence, I'd add that while they are (to my jaded ears) fairly MOR, they don't immediately and obviously sound like 15 other US bands which is something one might perhaps consider to be true of many left-field UK bands.

Whilst Dorset's own version of Don Caballero might be a tempting proposition if one resides in Avon, the US probably has 500 touring versions of Don Caballero functioning at any one time and thus a further version (albeit with West Country accents) might be considered surplus to requirements...
On a steel horse I ride.
Adam CR
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby simmo on Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:55 am

steve wrote:
mattgringo wrote:crap. such a shame that they remain one of the few 'underground' (i use that term very loosely) UK bands who have been able to tour the US in recent memory. there are a stack of bands here that wipe the floor with them.

Upon what is your charming pictoral rejection of mattgringo's opinion based? It would seem difficult to have a truly informed opinion of the British DIY scene from the banks of Lake Michigan. I don't recall having spotted you at many shows over here in the last ten years....
simmo
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby honeyisfunny on Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:08 am

Bearing in mind the great debate about managers, press agents and people paid to be 'punk-rock' equivalents of 'big time' music industry people - CRAP.
Way out is the way out
honeyisfunny
Guardian Diety of the Planet
Guardian Diety of the Planet

Postby Mama Clortho on Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:00 am

Mclusky were NEVER well received in the US.
Last edited by Mama Clortho on Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mama Clortho
the white ho
the white ho

Postby fantasmatical thorr on Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:04 am

whenever i'm there, they are held with as much awe as def leppard which is to say the yanks love this stupid band. they are wrong and scene courting tossers. so i hear.
Tom wrote: I remember going in the back and seeing him headbanging to Big Black. He looked like he was raping the air- really. He had this look on his face like, "yeah air... you know you want it.".
fantasmatical thorr
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom

Postby llllllllllllllllllllllll on Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:51 pm

honeyisfunny wrote:Bearing in mind the great debate about managers, press agents and people paid to be 'punk-rock' equivalents of 'big time' music industry people - CRAP.

So what about their music, ass?
llllllllllllllllllllllll
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby stuffy on Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:10 pm

"All of your friends are cunts, your mother is a ball point pen theif. Michael Cane doesn't follow you and you've never been to spain".

Best opening to a song ever.

Mclusky do Dallas is my favourite album. I have moved house and can't find it. There will be no first dance at the wedding until it's found.

McLusky were not crap.
stuffy
bocce bowler
bocce bowler

Postby emmanuelle cunt on Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:18 pm

caix wrote:^ more like "a manual vagina."
emmanuelle cunt

Postby hogrot on Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:30 pm

I didn't see it mentioned anywhere else so I spambot: http://www.myspace.com/futureoftheleft

Falco's new band. I hope they come back and record at Electrical.

I really don't get the comment about scene courting. And even if they did, obscurity in itself is not a badge of honor.
strap-on wrote:74 inches of pleasure.
hogrot
bobcat goldthwait
bobcat goldthwait

Postby Isabelle Gall on Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:22 pm

One of the most depressing performances I have ever seen. Really quite something.
The contempt that the band have for the audience here speaks volumes and renders them truly crap.
The 'petulantly throwing down your instruments and/or otherwise refusing to turn off the amps to make a few seconds of feedback after playing on a TV show at the bequest of your record label because you'd rather be doing something really hardcore like listening to The Pixies or Pavement' is the single most redundant 'punk rock' gesture I can think of.
Isabelle Gall
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby hogrot on Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:26 am

Unsupported statement, unsupported statement, faulty generalization.
hogrot
bobcat goldthwait
bobcat goldthwait

Postby stevenstillborn on Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:23 pm

Isabelle Gall wrote:

One of the most depressing performances I have ever seen. Really quite something.
The contempt that the band have for the audience here speaks volumes and renders them truly crap.
I just watched it again, looking very carefully for the contempt of which you speak and I think I must've missed something.
What are the queers doing to the soil?
stevenstillborn
pete maravich
pete maravich

Postby thebookofkevin on Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:01 pm

hogrot wrote:http://www.myspace.com/futureoftheleft

thanks for that. i was wondering when such a thing was going to occur.
thebookofkevin
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast

Postby Mama Clortho on Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:02 pm

'To Hell With Good Intentions' always struck me as a song that should have/could have been huge. HUGE. It's reminds me a lot of 'Smells Like Teen Spirit'. I thought the exact same thing upon first hearing both. "This as good as a mainstream 'youth anthem' as you're going to get - This song is going to be huge".

I was wrong. Maybe it's because they're three odd looking welsh guys. Maybe it's because it wouldn't have had even a fraction of the financial backing that SLTS had. I do not know.

I am alone in thinking this?
Mama Clortho
the white ho
the white ho

Postby MTAR on Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:36 pm

Isabelle Gall wrote:

The 'petulantly throwing down your instruments and/or otherwise refusing to turn off the amps to make a few seconds of feedback after playing on a TV show at the bequest of your record label because you'd rather be doing something really hardcore like listening to The Pixies or Pavement' is the single most redundant 'punk rock' gesture I can think of.

what the hell are you talking about?

that video was amusing. so weird, to see this band playing in such a setting. i thought they did an admirable job despite the goofy mtv-esque camera angles and lighting.
Michael Gregory Bridavsky

Russian Recording
Memory Map
Push-Pull
MTAR
Supreme Commander at the Forefront

Postby MTAR on Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:38 pm

Mama Clortho wrote:'To Hell With Good Intentions' always struck me as a song that should have/could have been huge. HUGE. It's reminds me a lot of 'Smells Like Teen Spirit'. I thought the exact same thing upon first hearing both. "This as good as a mainstream 'youth anthem' as you're going to get - This song is going to be huge".

I was wrong. Maybe it's because they're three odd looking welsh guys. Maybe it's because it wouldn't have had even a fraction of the financial backing that SLTS had. I do not know.

I am alone in thinking this?

it was huge with me, and is the reason i got into this band in the first place. i love that song dearly. it's so dumb and simple and awesome.
Michael Gregory Bridavsky

Russian Recording
Memory Map
Push-Pull
MTAR

Postby Isabelle Gall on Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:45 pm

hogrot wrote:Unsupported statement, unsupported statement, faulty

Well, i'm genuinely surprised that the song wasn't a hit, if that's any consolation. I can imagine a lot of snakebite getting spilt over it at the indie disco.
Mclusky, you were probably a better band than both Mega City Four and Midway Still. Well done.
Isabelle Gall
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby hogrot on Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:08 pm

Okay, besides vague witticisms about nonmusical aesthetics, what about the noise they made makes it crap/not crap?
hogrot
bobcat goldthwait
bobcat goldthwait

Postby blinduncledallas on Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:05 am

Just been reading this post and thought i'd share something weird that occured last night. I am in Melbourne Australia and I went to see The Vines last night at a club nearby. As I was watching a support band I saw this guy I recognised. I couldn't quite place him and went up to speak to him because I though I knew him from England. I realised it was Jon (the bass player from mclusky) He said he has moved here recently and has got a band together over here. I'm going to see them on Oct 4th.
Man, I need to join that band!

I personally think he is the best bass player I have ever seen live. Full of crazy energy and a huge sound!
blinduncledallas
pres. laura roslin
pres. laura roslin

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap