Mclusky?

Crap
16%
not crap
84%

Total votes : 141

Postby llllllllllllllllllllllll on Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:00 pm

Adam CR wrote:
steve wrote:It escapes me how any rock music fan that understands english could fail to appreciate this band.

Perhaps it's a language thing; maybe what Americans (and others) see as lyrical genius, Brits see as being not much more than a succession of colloquialisms and phrases du jour...

Certainly I think that some of what non-Brits might consider to be beautiful examples of surrealism are in fact just references to British popular culture.

I seriously doubt that you've given them enough of a fair listen to make a statement like that. Earlier you even equated them to a 'pop-punk' band.
llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

Lesser Snake “Bali Gold”
llllllllllllllllllllllll
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Adam CR on Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:22 pm

llllllllllllllllllllllll wrote:
I seriously doubt that you've given them enough of a fair listen to make a statement like that. Earlier you even equated them to a 'pop-punk' band.

That's not true; I have listened many times to their second and third records (I think, I'm no expert) and I quite like some of it. I don't think it's great, but it's fine for a noisy accompaniment to cooking dinner or whatever.

I certainly feel that I have had sufficient exposure to them to voice an opinion.
On a steel horse I ride.
Adam CR
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby scott on Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:25 pm

I saw them live once. It was "meh". The set ended with the bassist climbing up onto a pipe that was hanging along the ceiling, and he hung upside down for a while and I thought "hey, look, he's climbing around on the pipe on the ceiling, that's um, yeah whatever". It felt like that was the kinda thing I was supposed to like them for. The crowd seemed to like it just fine. They clapped and stuff.

I figured I should buy a recording of theirs, to see what all the hype was about (I actually heard about these guys a fair amount when I was in DC, maybe around 2003 or so?). I don't remember which record store it was, but the only album they had was "Undress for Success", which had a cool-looking cover anyway, so I thought "this might be a good one". It is not. It is absolute garbage. I listened to it a few times, and have no plans to listen to it again.

I will assume there's something there to "get", and I really don't get it. CRAP.
May the wings of Liberty never lose a feather
first show - last show
scott
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby tipcat on Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:57 pm

This band gets an emphatic not crap for sounding like no one but themselves. And for this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgkzRE89Gyw

(Rachael: there are kittens involved.)
tipcat
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby danmohr on Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:25 pm

McLusky, you are NOT CRAP. Perhaps it was a different story over on the other side of the pond (where I get the impression you were heralded as the second coming or something given the animosity of most of the UK folks on this board) but, in this country, you were never as beloved as logic would dictate. Your first record is a pretty humble beginning but the next two were fantastic. I appreciate your approach to writing songs, to writing lyrics and to doing both with an apparent aim to sabotage your own popularity. And I saw you once and, save for the meatheads in attendance, it was quite good.

You are cool and funny guys - don't ever change. Class of '94 RULZ!

Dan
danmohr
rolls royce
rolls royce

Postby CJMcG on Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:58 am

There's something about the vocal delivery that reminds me of the Beastie Boys.
CJMcG
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby a. james on Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:57 am

i may have said this earlier, but they just remind me of the more rockin' parts of les savy fav's "the cat and the cobra."

i mean, i like that album alright, and i like mclusky alright. but i don't think they were the greatest thing ever. or even all that great.

a few high points and a lot of tedium.
Marsupialized wrote:I am NOT sorry I yelled. I should have yelled louder.
a. james
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby John Houlihan on Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:56 pm

NOT CRAP by a long shot.
John Houlihan
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby HOUSTON_M on Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:57 pm

They were shite.
HOUSTON_M

Postby Ernest on Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:00 pm

I have quite a good time listening to them. It's not sex, but hey.

I found out about them through a Fender catalog. Falkous' photo was used in their Squier section.
Marsupialized wrote:A bus will crash and there'd be three people stepping over injured children to get out saying 'fuck them' it's just how it is with people.
Ernest
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby ironyengine on Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:43 pm

This poll is much more divided than I would've ever thought. You guys, you 15% or so, surprise me.
I never thought I'd recover from the trouble that Youtube put me through...
ironyengine
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby Ty Webb on Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:11 am

I've only ever heard McLusky Do Dallas and it's enough for me to know I love this band.
Clueless in Chicago wrote:I'm going to stop following this thread. A bunch of D&D geeks in a basement somewhere in Oklahomma with their nuts tied around their thighs...
Ty Webb
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby ironyengine on Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:50 am

tipcat wrote:This band gets an emphatic not crap for sounding like no one but themselves. And for this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgkzRE89Gyw

(Rachael: there are kittens involved.)

Technically McLusky should only get the not crap for providing the music here. The rest was done by Joel Veitch of rathergood.com (the same weirdo who did those Quiznos ads) and... apparently re-positioned onto a ping pong table. I have no idea either.
I never thought I'd recover from the trouble that Youtube put me through...
ironyengine

Postby ubercat on Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:11 pm

Nice vid! :)

Oh, and McLusky is obviously NC. Fuckin' duh.
ubercat

Re: Band: Mclusky

Postby Wheel on Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:07 pm

'Mclusky Do Dallas' is pretty much the best album of the 00s. Those who don't get it... Jesus. That's your 'rock'n'roll fan' contract expired.
Wheel
hank aaron
hank aaron

Postby AnthonyVillalobos on Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:00 pm

Bought "The Difference Between Me and You Is That I'm Not On Fire" a couple of weeks back.

It's not bad, but I don't find myself listening to it too much.

Every now and then on that record they've got some great ideas.
AnthonyVillalobos
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby DregsInTheCrowd on Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:54 am

I got into McLusky exactly two years ago next week. I love this band as much as I've loved any band. Every album is totally distinct. I bought each album in chronological order, so for a while, My Pain And Sadness Is More Sad And Painful Than Yours was all I knew, and I LOVED that album. I still love that album.

whiteliberalonwhiteliberalaction, Joy, Friends Stoning Friends, Medium Is The Message, You Are My Sun, Mi-O-Mai - these are some of the best rock songs released in the last decade. "World Cup Drumming" is probably the closest they got on that album to the sound of McLusky Do Dallas, but in general, early McLusky is a different beast. I associate the spirit of this album with McLusky more than the other two albums. Their sense of the absurd and goofy comes through on this record even more so than Dallas, which is also absurd and hilarious, but also kind of blustery. Which is great for that album, but I think Dallas's humor is deepened by an understanding of My Pain And Sadness. And then there's dark-ass The Difference, which is also great, but uninviting. While the lyrics are a little more obvious, and occasionally a little sophomoric, that's pretty rare and usually My Pain And Sadness is impeccable.

Of their three records, My Pain And Sadness probably gets the least attention, and I can't understand why. It is one of the finest indie releases of the decade.
My name is Mike, and I play music in Stripper Deville.
DregsInTheCrowd
penguinologist
penguinologist

Postby muzorewi's daughter on Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:44 am

i downloaded mclusky do dallas years ago after having it recommended to me. i put on lightsabre cocksucking blues, which lasted about a minute before i was physically forced to turn it off. seriously, i had just experienced the worst song of all time. the worst goddamn song. i already disliked the pixies, so the last thing i needed was this intense, "modern" rip of that band. it was like frank black's son had started a band and was trying to impress his father by trying to be him. i felt so sorry for the band for making this song. and for their fans. i immediately deleted the album from my computer. years later i somehow ended up downloading the same album again. maybe i had just forgotten about my previous experience. i instantly recognised the first song, but this time i opted to skip instead of cutting my ears off. fortunately, nothing was as offensive as the first song, so i made it all the way through. there were even some geuinely good moments (only on side A though, side B was pretty lame). i remember liking the deadringers song and the to hell with good intentions song, and also chuckling at fuck this band (although, as multiple listens revealed, terrible song). i even ended up buying the goddamn thing. for about the five first listens i had a pretty good time with the album. unfortunately, it didn't last. i tried revisiting it a few weeks ago, was real borin'.

mclusky, you were an energetic, but completely insignificant band. you had a bit of charm, a couple of cool bass lines and some cool guitar riffs. you recorded the worst song of all time.

not crap :WF: 10
muzorewi's daughter
took picture of naked guy
took picture of naked guy

Re:

Postby Mason on Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:18 am

Skronk wrote:I found out about them through a Fender catalog. Falkous' photo was used in their Squier section.

Strangely enough, that's exactly how I found out about them as well.
Marsupialized wrote:'It's very important for men in bands together to French kiss, every day, even if they don't feel like it'
Mason

Postby Edd Tastyhead on Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:16 am

If anyone can hear "Comeuppance Come" from the mcluskyism boxset and still think this band is crap then it's likely we won't agree on much.

I just hope the new FOTL album doesn't suck!
placeholder wrote:I liked 'em better before they met each other. Once they wrote songs, they went to crap.
Edd Tastyhead
timex
timex

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap