parliament funkadelic

crap
5%
not crap
95%

Total votes : 100

Re: parliament funkadelic

Postby Limmo on Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:57 pm

tmidgett wrote:My assumption is that "it got a three on it" is a dis.

I assume the same thing, for what may be a very stupid reason.

George Clinton was a hairdresser when he started the band.

The song makes hay over their funk being "uncut" compared to the three artists he name-checks. If the funk can be cut like hair, then those three have had one of these used on them: Image

The 3/8" attachment is often called a 3.

That's all I got.
Limmo
staple singers
staple singers

Postby jakethesnake on Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:13 pm

Not crap. Life-changing crew for me and Ispent much of the 90s getting everything I could, including shit like Sweat Band and Parlet (Brides of funkenstein were a bit better IMO). Personally, I actually find Parliaments prime 75-78 era music more unique and outstanding than Funkadelic regardless of era, mainly due to Funkadelic feeling more tied into a post-Hendrix/Sly/Whitfield-era Temptations funk-rock vibe whereas Parliament in their prime were something totally freaky, bubbly and spacey due to the clear vision of the Clinton/Collins/Worrell combo; after the early, more band-oriented records, Funkadelics albums tended to sound more like odds&sods collections which still resulted in some awesome records-"Let's take it to the stage" is GREAT and the return of Eddie Hazel on "Standing on the verge..." resulted in a very focused album, that album is something quite different from all their other post-"Maggot Brain" records though in that it's so single-mindedly dedicated to the post-Hendrix funk rock flavor.

Oh yeah, I LOVE Parliaments more Funkadelic-sounding "Osmium"-such a freaky, oddball record but with killer tunes throughout
jakethesnake
crate
crate

Postby tmidgett on Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:20 am

jakethesnake wrote:Personally, I actually find Parliaments prime 75-78 era music more unique and outstanding than Funkadelic regardless of era, mainly due to Funkadelic feeling more tied into a post-Hendrix/Sly/Whitfield-era Temptations funk-rock vibe whereas Parliament in their prime were something totally freaky, bubbly and spacey due to the clear vision of the Clinton/Collins/Worrell combo

Yes.

It's sort of like early Can compared to Damo-era. The early stuff is still unique, but it's a degree closer to something you might hear someplace else.
tmidgett
Present-day God
Present-day God

Previous

Return to Crap / Not Crap