Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

parliament funkadelic

crap
5%
not crap
95%

Total votes : 100

Postby Brett Eugene Ralph on Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:31 pm

big_dave wrote:I'm one of the few that love Everyone Is Gonna Make It This Time.

No way! P-Funk's gospel songs are among their finest work. "Everyone" and "Can You Get to That" are definitely two of my favorite Funkadelic tracks. I even like "The Silent Boatman."
Brett Eugene Ralph
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby SecondEdition on Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:56 pm

Brett Eugene Ralph wrote:
big_dave wrote:I'm one of the few that love Everyone Is Gonna Make It This Time.

No way! P-Funk's gospel songs are among their finest work. "Everyone" and "Can You Get to That" are definitely two of my favorite Funkadelic tracks. I even like "The Silent Boatman."

I'll second "Can You Get To That." That would be my favorite Funkadelic song ever if "Maggot Brain," "I Wanna Know If It's Good To You," and "Super Stupid" had never been written or recorded. Since they were, however, it is relegated to a glorious fourth place. An amazing, brilliant track: "When you base your life on credit, and your lovin' days are done, checks you signed with love and kisses later come back signed 'insufficient funds.'" That line is straight-up genius.
Life...life...I know it's got its ups and downs.

In the someday, what's that sound.

CS. PC. MM.
SecondEdition
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Boogens on Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:34 pm

Standing on the Verge lp:
"Jimmy's Got A Little Bit of Bitch In Him" is like no other
the lyrics on "Good Thoughts Bad Thoughts" ring true (or of peyote)
Boogens
courtesan
courtesan

Postby Brett Eugene Ralph on Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:42 pm

SecondEdition wrote:
Brett Eugene Ralph wrote:

I'll second "Can You Get To That." That would be my favorite Funkadelic song ever if "Maggot Brain," "I Wanna Know If It's Good To You," and "Super Stupid" had never been written or recorded. Since they were, however, it is relegated to a glorious fourth place. An amazing, brilliant track: "When you base your life on credit, and your lovin' days are done, checks you signed with love and kisses later come back signed 'insufficient funds.'" That line is straight-up genius.

Yeah, but it's not nearly as good as the song's first line(s): I once had a life / or, rather, life had me.
Brett Eugene Ralph
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby copower on Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:38 pm

just thought you guys might enjoy one of the greatest reviews i've ever read. its on the first funkadelic lp and i found it on amazon.

Jasper Ala wrote:
man the story of funkadelic begins here be warned those who here this will never be the same again george clinton opens up the album saying if you will suck my soul i will lick your funky emotions then the music kicks in with the best funk-soul-psychedelic rock jimi hendrix never recorded clinton lets you know he is not of this world and funkadelic is here to funk the planet good jam the beat is hard and punishing weird man very weird. next song is I bet you a remake of an earlier parliaments tune the singing was done by the 5 parliaments plus eddie hazel and pat lewis boy eddie hazel does some strange guitar licks giving hendrix a run in that department. music for my mother was hellafunky hern sparkman is way down south in mississisippi in the woods this was recorded in 69-70 but the blues beat in the background played by eddie hazel, and billy bass nelson sounds like it was done in 1930 funkaDELIC WAS WORKING WITH SOME REALLY OLD school vibes here the wo ha hey chants are infectious. I got a thing you got a thing is heavy influenced by sly and the family stone the riff played by ray monnette is the funkiest guitar riff hendrix never recorded this song is about getting high the ultimate party jam. good old music is another parliaments remake the original was motown psychedelic soul this version outdoes it the drums are louder tiki fulwood is smiling from the grave the drum paTTERN IS THE MOST SAMPLED IN RAP MUSIC NEXT TO James brown's funky drummer the guitars are loud props to eddie hazel, and tawl ross and billy bass goes stupid on the bassline at the end he hoes into ball of confusion by the temptations who was copying these mugs heavily round this time but the temps being on motown was gonna get more exposure. qualify to satisfy is another funkpsychedelic blues tune calvin simon tries to convince a girl to sleep with him saying he's better than her man the lyrics are'mt much but the funkadelics make up for it the beat gets crazieer as the song progress eddie hazel gets more out there til he goes to the next solar system at the end it was like he met the crossroads, hendrix and said I'll be back next millenium I'm, going back to earth now crazy stuff man the last song what is soul has george clinton once again explaining his mission tiki'as drums are loud and eddie and billy's playing are on the 1. can't shake it loose is an old jam in the motown fashion the supremes covered this this one has george, calvin simon and eddie hazel singing lead cool jam, as good as i can feel is instrumental the funkadelics was the hottest funk band love it, open our eyes is the stramgest gopspel song I ever heard eddie hazel sings lead over an haunting piana man sounds like an gospel performance from 1870 scary man what's weirder is that hazel does a guitar solo at the end and gets all jimi hendrix with it clearly funkadelic was the best funk band that graced mother earth please cop this and all p funk recordings if p funk is your cup of tea.
copower
chris "jesus" ferguson
chris "jesus" ferguson

Postby copower on Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:00 pm

yaledelay wrote:who the FUCK would vote crap??? please show yourself so I can disregard basically everything you have to say about music...

oh yeah this^

AND self titled, free your mind.., maggot brain, america eats its young, mothership connection and placebo syndrome have ALL influenced and made me move greatly like no other.

maybe except for "in the jungle groove", that is.

this stuff is real.

not crap.
copower
chris "jesus" ferguson
chris "jesus" ferguson

Postby Surfrider on Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:28 am

I have loved Maggot Brain and various other bits for many years, but a spare tenner in my pocket the other day urged me to buy FREE YOUR MIND... ...AND YOUR ASS WILL FOLLOW. Never heard it before and it's not been mentioned in this thread either.

Well fuck me! Side 1 of this record is so great that i haven't managed to move on to side 2 yet.
You're a shit DM and i want my pizza money back.
(Let's Violence Cowpiss ne!)
Surfrider
tired of birds
tired of birds

Postby yaledelay on Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:18 am

copower wrote:
yaledelay wrote:who the FUCK would vote crap??? please show yourself so I can disregard basically everything you have to say about music...

oh yeah this^

AND self titled, free your mind.., maggot brain, america eats its young, mothership connection and placebo syndrome have ALL influenced and made me move greatly like no other.

maybe except for "in the jungle groove", that is.

this stuff is real.

not crap.

I would like to note, those people (3 of them) have not come forth...
yaledelay
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby Mark Hansen on Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:07 am

Surfrider wrote:I have loved Maggot Brain and various other bits for many years, but a spare tenner in my pocket the other day urged me to buy FREE YOUR MIND... ...AND YOUR ASS WILL FOLLOW. Never heard it before and it's not been mentioned in this thread either.

Well fuck me! Side 1 of this record is so great that i haven't managed to move on to side 2 yet.

Yeah, another great record.
"for when you bring two objects of such astounding masses of suck as these two together, they circle each other at incredible velocity until finally merging into an infinitely dense singularity of suck"
Mark Hansen

Postby Antero on Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:40 pm

givemenoughrope wrote:A generation or two later, all I could go see were the P-Funk all stars. Thats ok since they got the energy level up so high I thought my brain was going to explode. Just riding the same groove for 30 minutes until it slow boils. My god.

I don't know if anyone mentioned this album:
http://www.amazon.com/Live-at-Beverly-T ... B000001TV5

It's not the prime Mother Earth era, but it's no joke either. It's blown out the speakers in a few cars Ive been in. Eddie Hazel destroys. The vocals are all on fire. Dennis Chambers on drums. The horn are great. I remember crying laughing at how ridiculously awesome the hot spots of this cd hit me while driving somewhere with my cousin (who got me into the P). Two grown men crying laughing at how awesome a band is. Jesus.

Ever hear someone say that they don't trust anyone (musically speaking) that wasn't into some form of 'Punk' at one time? Well, I don't trust anyone who doesn't like PFunk or James Brown. They are Spocks to me. Actually, HAL9000.
Hey givemenoughrope, this sounds like a prime candidate for the sendspace thread! Hint hint.
Is you crazy baby, I gots to grind
Antero
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby Wood Goblin on Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:47 pm

Every now and then, "Wars of Armageddon" will pop up on my iPod while I'm out for a run. This song is notable for two qualities:

1) It is the best song ever to hear while running.

2) It is the funkiest song ever performed.
Wood Goblin
Guardian Diety of the Planet
Guardian Diety of the Planet

Postby D'Piucchstre on Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:21 pm

KeithV wrote:Yeah, anyone who voted crap in this thread should be shot with a Boppgun to free their mind, as his/her naked ass attempts to refrain from shakin' itself to the music due to the fact that they partook first from the river of shit spewed forth from the facial orifice of Sir D'Voidofunk .

NOT CRAP. No waffles, only P-Funk Pancakes for breakfast...

Again, NOT CRAP!
"Fuck compose, Fuck melody, Dedicated to no one, Thanks to no one, ART IS OVER".
-Juntaro Yamanouchi
D'Piucchstre
tmidgett
tmidgett

Postby Marsupialized on Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:29 pm

Marsupialized

Location: Chicago, over by Grand and Halsted. Fulton River district, I guess?

Postby Domagoj on Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:58 pm

Strange, America Eats Its Young would be only Funkadelic album that I do not consider brilliant or essential. Yes, it does have cool cover and many good songs but overall there's too much of Parliament vibe in it.

On the other hand Osmium is the only Parliament record which I don't need to own. It's too psychedelic in a silly way. Sure, songs on their own work just fine but put together they make bizarre collection. The Silent Boatmen is a wonderful closer. Afro-American people and bagpipes!

Here I am talking about P-Funk from their beginning up to 1978 or 1979.

NOT CRAP
Domagoj
gorilla
gorilla

Postby newberry on Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:14 pm

You know what else is not crap? Pedro Bell's artwork (pardom me if this hasn't already been mentioned). And he's a Chicagoan--I had the pleasure to meet him a few months back. Here's a Roctober interview with him:
http://www.roctober.com/roctober/greatness/pfunk.html
newberry
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby Brett Eugene Ralph on Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:13 pm

givemenoughrope wrote:
Domagoj wrote:Strange, America Eats Its Young would be only Funkadelic album that I do not consider brilliant or essential. Yes, it does have cool cover and many good songs but overall there's too much of Parliament vibe in it.

wow. i never got that at all really. hmm. now, i have to listen to everything...

Like most double albums, there is some filler, but there's plenty of really good stuff on it--I can see Bootsy's presence suggesting a bit of Parliament vibe, though. Although I'd put it below Maggot Brain, Cosmic Slop, and Standing on the Verge . . . (and Osmium), I probably listen to it more than those P-Funk records I haven't mentioned.
Brett Eugene Ralph
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Antero on Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:27 pm

givemenoughrope wrote:
Antero wrote:Hey givemenoughrope, this sounds like a prime candidate for the sendspace thread! Hint hint.

Keep in mind, it's about the performances. The recording is a basically a real great board tape, but a 90s board tape with 90s live sound: too much compression on everything.

How do I do the sendspace thing? I'll have to convert to mp3 first..
Convert to mp3, zip it, and upload it at sendspace.com.

Then paste the link they give you in the sendspace thread. ;)
Is you crazy baby, I gots to grind
Antero
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby Mark Hansen on Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:15 pm

"Chocolate City" a Parliament record, is great as well.
"for when you bring two objects of such astounding masses of suck as these two together, they circle each other at incredible velocity until finally merging into an infinitely dense singularity of suck"
Mark Hansen

Postby Nina on Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:44 am

Great art is horseshit. Buy tacos. - Bukowski
Nina
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby SecondEdition on Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:15 pm

Nina wrote:Image

Gary Shider looked exactly like that when I saw them live...
Life...life...I know it's got its ups and downs.

In the someday, what's that sound.

CS. PC. MM.
SecondEdition

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap