home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

parliament funkadelic

Vote and debate.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

parliament funkadelic

crap
5
5%
not crap
95
95%
 
Total votes : 100

Postby Heliotropic on Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:49 am

Well, I don't have many friends here anyway.

Crap.
User avatar
Heliotropic
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard
 
Posts: 1866
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:40 pm
Location: bush

Postby BabbyMama on Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:02 am

i like parliament but not funkadelic














i only skimmed through the thread and didn't see anyone else pull a marge, im standing by my statement.
bumble wrote:You shall never survive the pending squirrel apocalypse.
User avatar
BabbyMama
u thant
u thant
 
Posts: 593
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:30 am
Location: The lavender capital of North America!

Postby Antero on Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:24 am

Heliotropic wrote:Well, I don't have many friends here anyway.

Crap.
I'm sorry your life is so empty.
Is you crazy baby, I gots to grind
Antero
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover
 
Posts: 11331
Joined: Wed May 18, 2005 8:54 am
Location: Hustle City, CA

Postby Nina on Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:02 am

Antero wrote:
Heliotropic wrote:Well, I don't have many friends here anyway.

Crap.
I'm sorry your life is so empty.


If he would free his mind, his ass would follow and maybe some friends would as well.
Great art is horseshit. Buy tacos. - Bukowski
User avatar
Nina
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero
 
Posts: 6426
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:43 pm
Location: خانابدوش

Postby gjp on Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:55 am

N/C at all.

"Make my funk the P-funk. I want to get funked up."

I really want to blow up a few P-funk album covers real big, frame them, and hang them in my living room.
gjp
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
 
Posts: 3017
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:51 pm

Postby Mark Hansen on Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:49 am

Heliotropic wrote:Well, I don't have many friends here anyway.

Crap.


You know, I started reading this thread thinking, "I wonder if Heliotropic is going to chime in with his clear vision of what good music is" and lo and behold, here it is.

Crap on your crap.

I can appreciate not liking 90% of what passes for funk out there, and I'm sure some people here would disagree with me on some of the stuff I don't like, but Parliament-Funkedelic are in a class by themselves, and are one of the best bands, period, from the last 30 years or so.

It seems to me you are limiting your horizons because you seem to think any acquiesence to the bugaboo you call "multiculturalism" taints the culture you seem to feel a part of, where in fact, if anything, it complements it, and helps to flesh out the many different facets there are to human experience and expression.
"for when you bring two objects of such astounding masses of suck as these two together, they circle each other at incredible velocity until finally merging into an infinitely dense singularity of suck"
User avatar
Mark Hansen
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
 
Posts: 8952
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:45 am

Postby Heliotropic on Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:43 pm

Mark Hansen wrote:
Heliotropic wrote:Well, I don't have many friends here anyway.

Crap.


You know, I started reading this thread thinking, "I wonder if Heliotropic is going to chime in with his clear vision of what good music is" and lo and behold, here it is.

Crap on your crap.

I can appreciate not liking 90% of what passes for funk out there, and I'm sure some people here would disagree with me on some of the stuff I don't like, but Parliament-Funkedelic are in a class by themselves, and are one of the best bands, period, from the last 30 years or so.

It seems to me you are limiting your horizons because you seem to think any acquiesence to the bugaboo you call "multiculturalism" taints the culture you seem to feel a part of, where in fact, if anything, it complements it, and helps to flesh out the many different facets there are to human experience and expression.


I don't have any use for funk, as I've said before.

Forced multiculturalism is what I have a problem with, not enjoying cultures far removed from your own. The idea that I should force myself to smile while listening to--or reading, or watching--things that I don't enjoy in any way is pretentious and stupid. Gee, I hope someone notices I'm reading a Sherman Alexie novel, as they will no doubt be as open minded and well-read as myself. Gosh, I can't believe how cultured I am: I just bought a Cannibal Ox record today; I bought a 100% hemp sweater from a store that gives 10% (or was it .10? can't remember) of all proceeds to some charity, or other; I attended a rally for Buddhism (yes, I do happen to dabble in the more higher minded religions); and I was able to get in an hour of meditation; all of this with time to spare for my paper on Che Guevara!

What a touristy idea.

Itemizing your involvement in other cultures for the viewing of others is pretentious nonsense. If I'm going to read a Salman Rushdie novel it's not going to be in order to prove how many other cultures I'm knowledgeable of to a witless cultural studies major.
User avatar
Heliotropic
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard
 
Posts: 1866
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:40 pm
Location: bush

Postby SecondEdition on Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:25 pm

Heliotropic wrote:I don't have any use for funk, as I've said before.



Ignoring all that bullshit about forced multiculturalism, which has absolutely nothing to do with P-Funk, my question is: what do you mean when you say you "don't have any use for funk"? I honestly don't understand. I mean, does it just not move you? How can you like Dr. Octagon and not like P-Funk? The Dr. Octagon schtick, while different than P-Funk, is nevertheless related to it and influenced by it: the Dr. Octagon sex-crazed-alien persona probably was influenced by vintage P-Funk records like Mothership Connection and Funkentelechy Vs. The Placebo Syndrome, not to mention the rhythmic approach.

Honestly, Heliotropic, you should probably change your username to Sir Nose D'voidoffunk.
Life...life...I know it's got its ups and downs.

In the someday, what's that sound.


CS. PC. MM.
User avatar
SecondEdition
King Shit of Fuck Mountain
 
Posts: 22448
Joined: Wed May 03, 2006 8:32 am
Location: Midwest, USA

Postby Heliotropic on Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:37 pm

SecondEdition wrote:
Heliotropic wrote:I don't have any use for funk, as I've said before.



Ignoring all that bullshit about forced multiculturalism, which has absolutely nothing to do with P-Funk, my question is: what do you mean when you say you "don't have any use for funk"? I honestly don't understand. I mean, does it just not move you? How can you like Dr. Octagon and not like P-Funk? The Dr. Octagon schtick, while different than P-Funk, is nevertheless related to it and influenced by it: the Dr. Octagon sex-crazed-alien persona probably was influenced by vintage P-Funk records like Mothership Connection and Funkentelechy Vs. The Placebo Syndrome, not to mention the rhythmic approach.

Honestly, Heliotropic, you should probably change your username to Sir Nose D'voidoffunk.


It doesn't, but don't forget that you're the one who tried to attribute my view on multiculturalism to my dislike of funk in the first place.

Funk leaves me dry. That's it. Aside from a few momentarily interesting synths, I find nothing in Funkadelic or Parliament that would inspire me to listen to them again.

I can see how the Dr. Octagon record was influenced by funk, but that has little effect on my opinion of funk itself.
User avatar
Heliotropic
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard
 
Posts: 1866
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:40 pm
Location: bush

Postby gjp on Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:45 pm

Psh, stay at home and listen to your indie records.

We're gonna party.

"Turn it loose!"
gjp
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
 
Posts: 3017
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:51 pm

Postby endofanera on Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:55 pm

Heliotropic wrote:Aside from a few momentarily interesting synths, I find nothing in Funkadelic or Parliament that would inspire me to listen to them again.

Eddie Hazel alone is reason enough to never stop listening to P-Funk.
"You get a kink in your neck looking up at people or down at people. But when you look straight across, there's no kinks."
--Mike Watt
User avatar
endofanera
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
 
Posts: 5159
Joined: Fri May 07, 2004 2:57 pm
Location: Washington, DC

Postby SecondEdition on Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:19 pm

Heliotropic wrote:
It doesn't, but don't forget that you're the one who tried to attribute my view on multiculturalism to my dislike of funk in the first place.


Are you sure that wasn't someone else? I don't think I ever commented about your views on multiculturalism, or tried to link it to your dislike of funk.

Funk leaves me dry. That's it. Aside from a few momentarily interesting synths, I find nothing in Funkadelic or Parliament that would inspire me to listen to them again.

I can see how the Dr. Octagon record was influenced by funk, but that has little effect on my opinion of funk itself.


All right, fair enough. I mean, I still don't understand how it could, but that's a matter of opinion and personal taste rather than just a bald statement unexplained.
Life...life...I know it's got its ups and downs.

In the someday, what's that sound.


CS. PC. MM.
User avatar
SecondEdition
King Shit of Fuck Mountain
 
Posts: 22448
Joined: Wed May 03, 2006 8:32 am
Location: Midwest, USA

Postby Antero on Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:39 pm

Heliotropic wrote:I don't have any use for funk, as I've said before.
No use for funk? Maybe you need to free your ass and your mind will follow.
Is you crazy baby, I gots to grind
Antero
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover
 
Posts: 11331
Joined: Wed May 18, 2005 8:54 am
Location: Hustle City, CA

Postby Heliotropic on Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:42 pm

SecondEdition wrote:
Heliotropic wrote:
It doesn't, but don't forget that you're the one who tried to attribute my view on multiculturalism to my dislike of funk in the first place.


Are you sure that wasn't someone else? I don't think I ever commented about your views on multiculturalism, or tried to link it to your dislike of funk.

Funk leaves me dry. That's it. Aside from a few momentarily interesting synths, I find nothing in Funkadelic or Parliament that would inspire me to listen to them again.

I can see how the Dr. Octagon record was influenced by funk, but that has little effect on my opinion of funk itself.


All right, fair enough. I mean, I still don't understand how it could, but that's a matter of opinion and personal taste rather than just a bald statement unexplained.


That was Mark Hansen, my mistake.

Why it's so hard to believe that someone would find Parliament or Funkadelic boring is beyond me. I can say without reserve that I would take "Born Under Punches" over the whole of Parliament/Funkadelic's output.
User avatar
Heliotropic
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard
 
Posts: 1866
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:40 pm
Location: bush

Postby a. james on Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:04 pm

big_dave wrote:
Heliotropic wrote:I can say without reserve that I would take "Born Under Punches" over the whole of Parliament/Funkadelic's output.


Great song, but you're retarded, and lilly white.
fyp.
Marsupialized wrote:I am NOT sorry I yelled. I should have yelled louder.
User avatar
a. james
King Shit of Fuck Mountain
 
Posts: 15371
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:42 pm
Location: rva.

Postby a. james on Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:09 pm

Heliotropic wrote:I don't have any use for funk, as I've said before.
here's what i heard, "i don't have any use for getting laid."

as someone who craps funk as a whole, it's really better you not get laid anyway.
Marsupialized wrote:I am NOT sorry I yelled. I should have yelled louder.
User avatar
a. james
King Shit of Fuck Mountain
 
Posts: 15371
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:42 pm
Location: rva.

Postby a. james on Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:18 pm

Heliotropic wrote:Forced multiculturalism is what I have a problem with...
also, this pretentious bullshit...yeah, we just like to make like we're down with black people. every fucker on the board is that shallow. slimy little cocksucker.

fuck you, ya little shit.

here's the deal, pretty simple: good music equals good regardless of anything. good is good. funkadelic is good. if you don't get moved by the song "maggotbrain" you're a cynical little shit who's head is so far up his ass he's fucking deaf anyway.

parliament, a different band: why are they good? for me it's as simple as party music. you can get up and dance, sit back and drink, drive around with the windows down in the summer, clean your house, and feel good in general. if you don't like parliament, it's clear you don't want to feel good.

anyone who chooses to listen to these two groups has not had a goddamned thing forced upon them.

anyone who thinks that we who have good taste force our good taste on another under the reason "multiculturalism" is a fucking racist.

you probably don't like james brown, motown, or stax either you ignorant little cunt.

get fucked.

seriously, get fucked. go out, get some.

you might find you like funk after all, once you understand it, virgin.
Marsupialized wrote:I am NOT sorry I yelled. I should have yelled louder.
User avatar
a. james
King Shit of Fuck Mountain
 
Posts: 15371
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:42 pm
Location: rva.

Postby Heliotropic on Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:26 pm

that damned fly wrote:...lily white...


I'll take it that you mean to use "white" in the pejorative sense.

that damned fly wrote:
Heliotropic wrote:I don't have any use for funk, as I've said before.
here's what i heard, "i don't have any use for getting laid."

as someone who craps funk as a whole, it's really better you not get laid anyway.


To teach me a lesson? Having sex to funk--ironically or not--is not a pleasant prospect; I'd much prefer 50's love songs.

I'm going to make you cry those happy tear drops

What a progressive thinker Del Shannon was.
User avatar
Heliotropic
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard
 
Posts: 1866
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:40 pm
Location: bush

Postby a. james on Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:28 pm

nice comeback.
Marsupialized wrote:I am NOT sorry I yelled. I should have yelled louder.
User avatar
a. james
King Shit of Fuck Mountain
 
Posts: 15371
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:42 pm
Location: rva.

Postby projectMalamute on Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:39 pm

obviously not crap. Especially the first 4 or 5 Funkadelic albums. Some of the best shit ever.

On the other hand: in the mid 90's sometime I saw the P-Funk All Stars. Maybe the most half assed bullshit show I've ever seen. And I've seen the Grateful Dead. So I've got waffles.
User avatar
projectMalamute
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
 
Posts: 2127
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:59 am
Location: Westfield MA

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests