Crap
53%
Not Crap
47%

Total votes : 220

Re: Band: Rush

Postby scott on Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:36 am

Angus Jung wrote:
alex maiolo wrote:Whomever said Geddy was the only talent in the band, in this thread, is wrong.

I said it, and I'm 100% right.

So what you're saying is you don't understand guitar at all
May the wings of Liberty never lose a feather
first show - last show
scott
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby zom-zom on Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:32 am

Yeah come on man.. they're all quite talented.
Because you don't like the style of Peart and Lifeson doesn't negate the fact.

I think Prince sucks and I can't stand his noodly shitty guitar soloing but I cannot deny that he is a talented guitarist. That was hard to type, but that's how it goes.
zom-zom
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby Bernardo on Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:28 am

I honestly don't think Peart is talented. I think he is a navigator of technical difficulties during the task of hitting percussion instruments, the result of which is notes in time, as opposed to music.
Bernardo
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby DefinitelyNOTtheSWEDE on Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:34 am

Bernardo wrote:I honestly don't think Peart is talented. I think he is a navigator of technical difficulties during the task of hitting percussion instruments, the result of which is notes in time, as opposed to music.

Which is a talent, no?

I win.

Face it, you like Rush now.
DefinitelyNOTtheSWEDE
has seen it all
has seen it all

Postby Boombats on Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:46 am

Maybe there's a language issue here Bernardo, but talent is not synonymous with taste or quality. It only refers to proficiency. Someone can be talented at something you don't like, such as child rape or Chapman stick.
Escape Rope / Blxck Onion / Black Mesa
warmowski wrote:Fire back, absolutely, always and forever no matter how much it blows Andy's mind.
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby madmanmunt on Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:57 pm

I think FM Bernardo means musically talented.

Obviously he is talented at hitting drums.
Book of Leo, Chapter 19 Verse 46 wrote:The man thought that he knew the glory and the wrath wrought of the Stratocaster, but lo! He was corrected.

Let them measure my anus and see if it is dilated.
madmanmunt
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby Anthony Flack on Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:51 pm

Buddy Rich was unusually talented at the task of repetitively hitting objects with sticks. For most other people, it's more of an acquired skill.
Anthony Flack
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Superking on Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:05 pm

I've liked a couple of Rush songs over the years, but have never been a fan.

Mrs. Superking actively hates the band.

Last night, we watched "Upon the Lighted Stage", and we both agree that it was a great documentary of a rock band. The band, strangely, is about as unpretentious as it gets. The bit where Geddy Lee recounts the story of when they were touring with UFO, and UFO mocked them mercilessly: so great.

Mrs. Superking thought there was too much Rush music in it, but I disagree with this. There was just about the right amount of Rush music in it. Not much, really. I mean, 90 seconds of a Rush song is not much, a few times over the course of a rock documentary.

"Upon the Lighted Stage" would be a great double-feature with the Phish documentary "Bittersweet Motel".

Also, El Protoolio, this is great:

El Protoolio wrote:They come across as so nice and reasonable and just into what they are doing. They joke about how their audience is mostly male. They are totally aware of being shunned and ignored yet totally confident in what they do. Their parents are even interviewed. I want to hate them but have a new found respect for them which makes me think I'm the dick. Their worst fault is bad taste, which even they own up to, and I'm not sure if that's enough to summon hatred toward them.

Utterly bland and unoffensive yet totally fascinating for some reason. Not their music, just their whole existence. I might have to explore their catalog. It's like a grotesque that I can't keep my eyes off of.
Angus Jung wrote:Anyway, yeah, women, metal/heavy shit, 2012, everywhere.

The Hero of Love!
Superking
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby lemur68 on Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:14 pm

Superking wrote:Mrs. Superking thought there was too much Rush music in it, but I disagree with this. There was just about the right amount of Rush music in it. Not much, really. I mean, 90 seconds of a Rush song is not much, a few times over the course of a rock documentary.

Documentary About Band Features Too Much Of Band's Music
big_dave wrote:This is just about finding a dorky selfie on his blogspot?

Jesus, this is the Space Ace by Don Bluth of internet intrigue.
lemur68
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Superking on Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:21 pm

lemur68 wrote:
Superking wrote:Mrs. Superking thought there was too much Rush music in it, but I disagree with this. There was just about the right amount of Rush music in it. Not much, really. I mean, 90 seconds of a Rush song is not much, a few times over the course of a rock documentary.

Documentary About Band Features Too Much Of Band's Music

Dude. This happens. Arguably, it happens in that Minutemen doc. But I don't remember.

I think the best band documentary just gives a taste of the band's music.

What, you want a Rush doc to have multiple sections where the full 20-minute songs play?
Angus Jung wrote:Anyway, yeah, women, metal/heavy shit, 2012, everywhere.

The Hero of Love!
Superking

Postby Bernardo on Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:17 am

Boombats wrote:Maybe there's a language issue here Bernardo, but talent is not synonymous with taste or quality. It only refers to proficiency. Someone can be talented at something you don't like, such as child rape or Chapman stick.

That may be it, in portuguese the word for talent doesn't mean the same as "skill". "Talentoso" implies there is some kind of artfulness or inspiration involved.
Bernardo

Postby Anthony Flack on Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:04 am

'Talent' implies that you have a natural gift, not a skill acquired through practice.

Of course they often go together, since having a talent for something would make it easier to learn the skill.
Anthony Flack
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby zom-zom on Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:01 am

Neil Peart is the best drummer for Rush that could possibly be the drummer for Rush.

He is a talented drummer that works well with Lifeson and Lee and their music.

You don't like his style, fine. But it fits the music and completes the band's sound perfectly.

Man some of you are either extremely stubborn or just dense.
zom-zom
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby 154 on Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:22 am

Anthony Flack wrote:'Talent' implies that you have a natural gift, not a skill acquired through practice.

Peart already sounded like a fully developed Peart on Fly By Night (don't know how old he was, early 20s?), some drummers work their whole lives to sound like that and don't even come close.

Just another example of taste/bias clouding judgement on EA..
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby Bernardo on Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:51 am

Well, I think you're a more talented musician than Neil Peart. I guess my judgement is completely compromised.
Bernardo

Postby 154 on Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:22 pm

It's certainly 'sports drumming', but I don't think I could do it. I don't think it's all just muscle memory and practice, either. And he's been doing it before any of that Drummer World crap even existed. Not that he's hurting in the grand scheme, but I think some credit is due.

Postby TheMilford on Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:40 pm

zom-zom wrote:Neil Peart is the best drummer for Rush that could possibly be the drummer for Rush.

You don't like his style, fine. But it fits the music and completes the band's sound perfectly.

This.
TheMilford
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby alex maiolo on Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:14 am

TheMilford wrote:
zom-zom wrote:Neil Peart is the best drummer for Rush that could possibly be the drummer for Rush.

This.

154 wrote:It's certainly 'sports drumming', but I don't think I could do it. I don't think it's all just muscle memory and practice, either. And he's been doing it before any of that Drummer World crap even existed. Not that he's hurting in the grand scheme, but I think some credit is due.

This too.

-A
dontfeartheringo wrote:If $100 is too much for you to spend on a microphone maybe you should find a new hobby. People like you seem to like Magic: The Gathering a lot.
alex maiolo

Postby Andy on Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:08 pm

This list is mostly correct, but with some glaring errors. Clockwork Angels better than Permanent Waves? p/g at #5? And the first album deserves to be up higher than #15 on the list.

http://www.stereogum.com/1685666/rush-a ... gpictures/
Andy
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby Anthony Flack on Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:30 pm

154 wrote:
Anthony Flack wrote:'Talent' implies that you have a natural gift, not a skill acquired through practice.

Peart already sounded like a fully developed Peart on Fly By Night (don't know how old he was, early 20s?), some drummers work their whole lives to sound like that and don't even come close.

Just another example of taste/bias clouding judgement on EA..

That's not bias, that's just what the words mean.

But I don't know why you assume natural talent is somehow better than acquiring a skill through practice. I think most musicians probably aren't exceptionally talented... they work hard to get better. That's not bad! It's far more egalitarian - and more to a person's credit - than attributing their ability to simple talent.

As for Rush themselves, I've got nothing against them. You never hear them in this part of the world anyway. But I have tried, on a bunch of occasions, to listen to tracks of theirs (including some of the stuff posted on this thread), and I can't help but think that it must take a particular kind of person to not dislike this music. I just find it... well, deeply unattractive. I don't want to pick a fight with Rush fans, and the band members may well be nice, sincere, hard-working people and all that, but I just can't be putting that stuff in my ears. To me it's like the aural equivalent of beef-flavoured ice cream.
Anthony Flack
Present-day God
Present-day God

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap