Rush?

Crap
53%
Not Crap
47%

Total votes : 220

Re: Band: Rush

Postby zom-zom on Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:58 pm

Put some donkey sauce on that beef-flavoured iced-cream and shove it in my head.
zom-zom
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby numberthirty on Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:05 pm

zom-zom wrote:Put some donkey sauce on that beef-flavoured iced-cream and shove it in my head.

Hold the donkey sauce and I will take seconds.
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby cgwalnut on Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:54 pm

Anthony Flack wrote:
154 wrote:
Anthony Flack wrote:'Talent' implies that you have a natural gift, not a skill acquired through practice.

Peart already sounded like a fully developed Peart on Fly By Night (don't know how old he was, early 20s?), some drummers work their whole lives to sound like that and don't even come close.

Just another example of taste/bias clouding judgement on EA..

That's not bias, that's just what the words mean.

But I don't know why you assume natural talent is somehow better than acquiring a skill through practice. I think most musicians probably aren't exceptionally talented... they work hard to get better. That's not bad! It's far more egalitarian - and more to a person's credit - than attributing their ability to simple talent.

As for Rush themselves, I've got nothing against them. You never hear them in this part of the world anyway. But I have tried, on a bunch of occasions, to listen to tracks of theirs (including some of the stuff posted on this thread), and I can't help but think that it must take a particular kind of person to not dislike this music. I just find it... well, deeply unattractive. I don't want to pick a fight with Rush fans, and the band members may well be nice, sincere, hard-working people and all that, but I just can't be putting that stuff in my ears. To me it's like the aural equivalent of beef-flavoured ice cream.

I grew up in the Niagara region (home of Neil Peart). Heck, my Grandmothers house was just blocks from "Lakeside Park" (Peart was the lyricist for the band).
Anyhow, I went to high school with a dude who claimed that his father (a local session drummer type) beat out Neil for the spot as drummer in a local band because Neil sucked. A few years later, after a lot of hard work and practice, Neil joined Rush.
And, they mostly sucked (except for YYZ which is pretty great).
cgwalnut
padre
padre

Postby Andy on Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:34 am

Geddy Lee, oenophile: http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/rush/terroni-07.2014.php

Do you know of any other rock stars who are oenophiles?

Oh yeah! Maynard [James Keenan] from Tool is a huge wine lover and a wine producer. He owns vineyards in Arizona where he's growing and producing wines. He also buys wine from California and brings them in. He goes to wine shows and pours wine for people. He's a fanatic . Les Claypool, my good pal from Sonoma-and the bass player from Primus and other many idiosyncratic projects-is also a winemaker. He has his own vineyards in Sonoma and makes pinot noir. And he's claiming he's making one of the greatest roses on earth right now and if it weren't for the LCBO he'd be shipping them up here for me. When I get together with him in California we go out for dinner and share wine together. He's trying to convert me to California pinot because he knows I love Burgundies-and he loves Burgundy-but he believes that there are a lot of small producers that are doing more Burgundian-style pinots in California these days. After my experience in New Zealand, I'm open to it.
Andy
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby Redline on Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:16 pm

Redline
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby zom-zom on Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:49 pm

Super cool!
zom-zom
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby Redline on Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:34 pm

Shit, chrome drums rule.
Redline
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby Andy on Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:44 pm

Redline wrote:Shit, chrome drums rule.

They call the kit "Chromey" and they had it on display at the opening of "Beyond the Lighted Stage" at one of the suburban Chicago theaters.

http://www.rushisaband.com/blog/2011/12 ... m-Bronkema

http://andrewolson.com/Neil_Peart/drums ... hromey.htm
Andy

Postby Redline on Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:35 am

Andy wrote:
They call the kit "Chromey" and they had it on display at the opening of "Beyond the Lighted Stage" at one of the suburban Chicago theaters.

It's etched into my mind from staring at the All The World's A Stage lp cover as a youth.
Redline
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby JeffP on Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:37 pm

If I remember correctly, in the '80s Neil Peart wanted to get rid of some old drumsets, so he held a drum solo contest. The top three winners each received one of his old kits, and had their solos featured on a flexi-disk in Modern drummer magazine. I wonder if this is one of the kits that was given away.

EDIT: Yeah, here's a link to the giveaway announcement:

http://www.2112.net/powerwindows/transc ... rummer.htm
JeffP
pigmeat markham
pigmeat markham

Postby Redline on Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:08 pm

phpBB [media]
Redline
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby four_oclocker_2 on Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:32 pm

JeffP wrote:If I remember correctly, in the '80s Neil Peart wanted to get rid of some old drumsets, so he held a drum solo contest. The top three winners each received one of his old kits, and had their solos featured on a flexi-disk in Modern drummer magazine. I wonder if this is one of the kits that was given away.

EDIT: Yeah, here's a link to the giveaway announcement:

http://www.2112.net/powerwindows/transc ... rummer.htm

First Prize - One Candy Apple Red Tama kit (the prototype Artstar shells), with two 24" bass drums, 6", 8", 10", and 12" concert toms, and 12", 13", 15", and 18" toms. All the drums have brass-plated hardware. There is also the "satellite" kit consisting of an 18" bass drum, four matching red Simmons pads, and a Simmons SDS 5 module. Oh all right, I'll throw in a 13" wood-shell timbale and a 22" gong bass drum, too. (This setup was used in the recording of Power Windows, Grace Under Pressure, and Signals, as well as the subsequent tours.)

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUCCCKKKKKK.
Jazz Titan/Ruthie Cohen

KJ/HM/MH/DB

"I'm not in the Kiss Army. But I am in the reserves, and could be called up at any time." - Warmowski
four_oclocker_2
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby Morgan RK on Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:50 pm

Redline wrote:
phpBB [media]

One more time with less feeling, please.
"It's a fossilized cave-bear skeleton"

-Kirk Hammett
Morgan RK
frugal gourmet
frugal gourmet

Postby JeffP on Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:36 am

four_oclocker_2 wrote:

First Prize - One Candy Apple Red Tama kit (the prototype Artstar shells), with two 24" bass drums, 6", 8", 10", and 12" concert toms, and 12", 13", 15", and 18" toms. All the drums have brass-plated hardware. There is also the "satellite" kit consisting of an 18" bass drum, four matching red Simmons pads, and a Simmons SDS 5 module. Oh all right, I'll throw in a 13" wood-shell timbale and a 22" gong bass drum, too. (This setup was used in the recording of Power Windows, Grace Under Pressure, and Signals, as well as the subsequent tours.)

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUCCCKKKKKK.

Yeah, that's nuts. Oh well, at least I still have the flexi-disk stashed away somewhere.
JeffP
pigmeat markham
pigmeat markham

Postby Gramsci on Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:58 am

numberthirty wrote:
Gramsci wrote:
steve wrote:
Gramsci wrote:Okay, here's the thing. I have never heard a single note of their music in my 38 years.

So, should I bother, and if so, where to start?

Well then I can pretty much assure you that you will hate all of it except their eponymous first album, which is a decent enough hard rock record.

I had that feeling. I vaguely remember being told they had lyrics based on Ayn Rand's books... which is enough to make me back aways slowly... I also vaguely remember John Stanier (Helmet, Battles) mentioning the drummer was good..

One guy's take -

If you're going to be a tight ass based on "friend of a friend" chatter or the opinion of someone who clearly doesn't like the band, I don't know if I would even bother.

I do know that Hastie mentioned having the Rush logo drawn on almost everything he owned as a kid.

Take that for what it's worth.

Okay, I'm finally getting around to listening to Rush, I have no idea what to expect. I've got the first one lined up. Can one of the people here that appreciate the band give me the "best" album, uber progginess is fine.

Please no lists, give me the "if I had to rescue one from a fire..." thing.
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.
Gramsci
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby Dave N. on Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:14 pm

Gramsci wrote:Can one of the people here that appreciate the band give me the "best" album

Moving Pictures
Dave N.
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Postby four_oclocker_2 on Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:45 pm

Dave N. wrote:
Gramsci wrote:Can one of the people here that appreciate the band give me the "best" album

Moving Pictures

Absolutely true. Everyone has their own preferences, but it's safe to say that if you don't like anything Moving Pictures, you might not dig anything else in their catalog. Of course, if you don't like it, I can recommend you other Rush albums to check out.
Jazz Titan/Ruthie Cohen

KJ/HM/MH/DB

"I'm not in the Kiss Army. But I am in the reserves, and could be called up at any time." - Warmowski
four_oclocker_2

Postby JeffP on Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:50 pm

Gramsci wrote:
Okay, I'm finally getting around to listening to Rush, I have no idea what to expect. I've got the first one lined up. Can one of the people here that appreciate the band give me the "best" album, uber progginess is fine.

If I could only have one, it'd probably be A Farewell to Kings. The title track might be their most underappreciated tune, and Cygnus X-1 is just fucking bonkers.

Moving Pictures is the ideal entry point, however.
JeffP
pigmeat markham
pigmeat markham

Postby four_oclocker_2 on Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:54 pm

JeffP wrote:
Gramsci wrote:

...and Cygnus X-1 is just fucking bonkers.

Man, listening to the last two and a half minutes of that will make your fucking mind shit itself. So great.
Jazz Titan/Ruthie Cohen

KJ/HM/MH/DB

four_oclocker_2

Postby Gramsci on Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:20 pm

Right, I just heard Rush for the first time in my life. I listened to Moving Pictures, and then some of their debut..

Hmmm, it was alright. I was expecting a kind Marmite love-it-or-hate-it reaction, but I didn't really hate it, or like it. His voice is fine, a bit like the guy from Devo. The instrumentation is obviously thought out, but after listening to Tool for the past 20 years nothing really that exceptional. The keyboard sounds were really dated, this about the only thing that really grated me, but unfortunately also the only memorable thing as well.

I hate most 70s rock other than Zep and Sabbath, so the debut album got about 30 seconds of flipping.

I'm sure if you grew up in the mid 70s to early 80s this could have been really cool.

Not Anything.
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.
Gramsci
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap