home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Podcast: Chapo Trap House

Vote and debate.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

?

CRAP
13
29%
NOT CRAP
32
71%
 
Total votes : 45

Re: Podcast: Chapo Trap House

Postby matthew on Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:45 pm

.
...diesque nostros in tua pace disponas...
User avatar
matthew
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
 
Posts: 3503
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:38 pm
Location: Gens non sancta.

Re: Podcast: Chapo Trap House

Postby llllllllllllllllllllllll on Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:12 am

Chromodynamic wrote:David Harvey, grey wolf!?!?!?!?!
https://twitter.com/deep_beige/status/8 ... 7824616449


!!! His writing was important to me when I first started getting into radical politics. I hope this means we can expect him as a guest soon.

And what about Felix After Dark? What the fuck! This podcast has evolved past being good or bad into something that just is. Terrible and great. The podcast equivalent of listening to a Fall record. Not for everyone.
llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

dvockins wrote:Gold hardware means you are number one.
User avatar
llllllllllllllllllllllll
Guardian Diety of the Planet
Guardian Diety of the Planet
 
Posts: 5985
Joined: Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:32 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Podcast: Chapo Trap House

Postby Neuloveyou on Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:36 pm

Man, FM matthew, you sound like such an appalling drag.
Neuloveyou
took picture of naked guy
took picture of naked guy
 
Posts: 1153
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:20 am
Location: UK

Re: Podcast: Chapo Trap House

Postby Clyde on Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:10 pm

I still say priggish schoolmarm Matthew is the least offensive version of Matthew.
NewDarkAge wrote:Dialectics, mate. No easy answers.
Clyde
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
 
Posts: 2365
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:12 pm
Location: Life

Re: Podcast: Chapo Trap House

Postby Neuloveyou on Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:19 pm

True say. Personally, ladies saying rude swears pumps up my pants bone, so I have no truck with Mr Matthew's views.
Neuloveyou
took picture of naked guy
took picture of naked guy
 
Posts: 1153
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:20 am
Location: UK

Re: Podcast: Chapo Trap House

Postby Andrew. on Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:38 pm

Adam Curtis interview. Didn't see that coming. Great episode.
User avatar
Andrew.
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero
 
Posts: 6878
Joined: Mon May 07, 2007 11:02 pm

Re: Podcast: Chapo Trap House

Postby matthew on Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:10 am

One could write an essay about both Mr. Curtis' podcast interview/discourse and his most recent movie.

I took both of them in in their entirety.

It is curious how he speaks so much about "power" for about ten minutes about 20 minutes in during the podcast, but speaks nothing about "responsibility".

Romano Guardini devoted an entire treatise to the relationship of power to responsibility back in the 1950's.

Even C.S. Lewis understood the "vision thing" back in the 1940's during WWII. Read "The Poison of Subjectivism".

Other than all that, intellectually and rhetorically Mr. Curtis is way beyond the typical listeners of the podcast here in America, even when he's wrong. And he's quite wrong on many points...especially the whole "vision" thing.

He makes the podcast guys sound like a bunch of unrefined and dirty-mouthed bro-dudes who jack off to their uncle's old Penthouse magazines.



I hope that The Chapo Trap House takes a lesson from Mr. Curtis.
...diesque nostros in tua pace disponas...
User avatar
matthew
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
 
Posts: 3503
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:38 pm
Location: Gens non sancta.

Re: Podcast: Chapo Trap House

Postby gjp on Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:24 am

I know you're specifically talking about the Curtis interview above, but on the point of vulgarity and unrefinment...

That's the thing. People like it because it sounds like that.

Because that's how normal fucking people are. Maybe not you, but most people are pissed off foul-mouthed motherfuckers.

I like it, because it's how I talk politics. It's how my friends and I talk about politics; with venom, because fuck all these people that Chapo regularly tear into. Fuck them all.

Fuck being refined. Like it or not, Chapo along with the rest of the dirtbag left on Twitter have probably helped radicalize or at least push people in that direction more than any refined smug piece of shit liberal has in the past 20 fucking years.
gjp
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
 
Posts: 3017
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:51 pm

Re: Podcast: Chapo Trap House

Postby Gramsci on Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:15 am

llllllllllllllllllllllll wrote:
smud wrote:the cruelty towards those who aren't entirely on the same page


I think one of the strengths of Chapo is their insistence that the motherfuckers they ridicule are absolutely not on the same page as the average joes many of them purport to help or represent. Really, who is ridiculed on this show that doesn't deserve it? The think tank liberals or the slimy ass conservatives?


Good point. I'm not sure if there's a Chomsky version of the Godwin Rule... but I was listening to a recent lecture by him on Anarchism and an audience member asked how he came to his views on Anarchism. His reply was a reverie on Working Class intellectual culture in New York and Philadelphia in the depression era. Where I'm going with this is that painting all "Working Joe/Jane's" as uncultured oafs by middle class liberals and leftists is a fucking dangerous path.
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.
User avatar
Gramsci
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer
 
Posts: 10518
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2003 8:43 am
Location: The People's Republic

Re: Podcast: Chapo Trap House

Postby Andrew. on Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:47 pm

After a somewhat rambling episode, Matt Christman closed the most recent show with a rant that someone has taken the time to transcribe. Most people can't write a rant this good, let alone ad lib one on mic.

Image
User avatar
Andrew.
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero
 
Posts: 6878
Joined: Mon May 07, 2007 11:02 pm

Re: Podcast: Chapo Trap House

Postby matthew on Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:50 am

One of the worst aspects of their podcast is their overbearing irony and sarcasm coupled with their caricaturish appropriation of "being black". It's in their nomenclature.

That's been done over and over again. They're just doing it again.

A bunch of privileged Jewboys doing a podcast in Brooklyn doesn't amount to being black...even if they all have some have black friends.

This sort of thing has been addressed on this forum:

matthew wrote:
steve wrote:There's a part of this whole embrace-the-bass scene that bothers me more than any other part.

Take it as a given that we are not talking about a general audience. We are talking about a music-literate audience with primarily independent rock tastes. I know this is grossly oversimplifying it, but I want to narrow down the conversation so everyone will see my point.

They're middle class, more or less. They go to independent record stores. They go to clubs catering to indy rock. They listen to college radio, possibly. This is the crowd, in majority. Am I right so far?

This crowd likes some hip hop music. They don't go to hip-hop clubs because they are afraid to. They aren't part of the original audience for hip-hop music, and they aren't part of the environment from which it sprang. They are outside it, trying to look in on it.

Much of the music and posturing in the hip-hop idiom is grotesquely sexist and materialistic. It offers repeated denigration of "niggers." These are not themes that would be accepted uncritically in the music of peers of these hipsters. They (the hipsters) make an exception for hip-hop music. This exception is horrifying to me because it implies one of the following, all of which are repulsive:

1) Hipsters actually embrace sexism, racism and materialism when given an excuse to...
2) Hipsters assume their hip-hop performers are too uncultured to know that what they do is awful, and so excuse it...
3) Hipsters want to persist in defining black americans (with hip-hop as a surrogate) as violent, sexist, racist and brutish, and they voyeuristically indulge in what used to be called an "interest in the exotic."

Note that all three of these can be camouflaged as "irony," in the "it's cool because it's me doing it" manner. I have stated previously how little this argument sways me. A friend of mine acting like an asshole is still knowingly acting like an asshole.

Number one wouldn't surprise me in the least, given the barely-suppressed race hatred in much of our country. Number two I have seen in action, with a feminist friend defending all the bitch fucking and ho' dogging and "niggering" and so on in the language of anthropology. "In their culture..." Number three is the most sinister, and I don't want to pretend that it is the principle rationale. I am convinced that it is an element.

So. I can find many reasons to hate these trendy, dilettante
motherfuckers, and not a single reason to be sympathetic.


Excellent post, Steve.....................your third point in particular is most definitely an element, and one that is so often overlooked......I think that the elite and the leftist avant-garde literati (whatever you label them as) types have always romanticized American blacks in order to assuage their consciences and in some instances to gain politcal control over black people and communities as well.......you name them- Nancy Cunard, Bertolt Brecht, Carl Van Vechten, Paul Tillich, Robert Moses, some Rockefellers, Margaret Sanger, Jack Kerouac and so on to name a few. I would say that the now-demolished Robert Taylor homes down there on the South Side were a living, concrete (no pun intended) example of this mindset, albeit under a guise of social welfare.

I think that some white people, in particular certain elite ones in government and big business, have this peculiar, schizophrenic sense of guilt and disgust when it come to the lower income, black strata of American society (from which the hip-hop culture arose). Hence they tolerate black people being uncivilized and "niggering" (as Steve put it) out of a sense of displaced guilt, but at the same time they realize that when there is little social order in the black community (example: drive through the Germantown section of Philadelphia any given night of the week) , that is when they can reach in, often in an insidious manner, and gain power and control over the said community.
Last edited by matthew on Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:01 am, edited 3 times in total.
...diesque nostros in tua pace disponas...
User avatar
matthew
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
 
Posts: 3503
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:38 pm
Location: Gens non sancta.

Re: Podcast: Chapo Trap House

Postby Neuloveyou on Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:58 am

Yo M-Dogg, I find that analysis to be extremely whack, for shizzle.
Neuloveyou
took picture of naked guy
took picture of naked guy
 
Posts: 1153
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:20 am
Location: UK

Re: Podcast: Chapo Trap House

Postby matthew on Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:44 am

Neuloveyou wrote:Yo M-Dogg, I find that analysis to be extremely whack, for shizzle.


Ask me if I give a rat's ass, guv.

Anyway, in all fairness to them and their thing, their extended barbeque of Kevin D. Williamson at NRO in their earlier installments (which, mind you, were far better than the post-election crap they're doing lately) was great. That guy deserves every bit of shit he's received.
...diesque nostros in tua pace disponas...
User avatar
matthew
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
 
Posts: 3503
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:38 pm
Location: Gens non sancta.

Re: Podcast: Chapo Trap House

Postby gjp on Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:31 am

Andrew. wrote:After a somewhat rambling episode, Matt Christman closed the most recent show with a rant that someone has taken the time to transcribe. Most people can't write a rant this good, let alone ad lib one on mic.

Image

Goddamn.
gjp
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
 
Posts: 3017
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:51 pm

Re: Podcast: Chapo Trap House

Postby Gramsci on Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:41 am

^ That was a high point of their rants.

I've been going back through the shows, mainly because I'm deathly sick of all the hyper-sincere punditry of podcasts like Slate etc. My one thought is that Chapo is at it's best when they have a seriously guest on like Jeremy Scahill or Adam Curtis. It reins in the BS and causes them to be far more sharp than the rambling chatter that can fill up some of their shows. That said the rambling chatter can result in moments of clarity like the above rant.

I'm not sure about the rest of you but, like them, I fucking sick of all the dire, pretentious, overly seriously punditry from much of the mainstream liberal left. Papers like The Guardian and NYT etc have played a big role in the shitstorm of 2016 by framing the limits of mainstream left discourse to identity politics while acting as if politics and economics aren't important. Marx was fucking right that the economic conditions people live under creates the wider culture, the mainstream left and centrist liberals have forgotten that, while the conservatives and the far right have carried on partying like it's 1968.

Chapo. Waffles, but is going be good therapy until I can form my own country.
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.
User avatar
Gramsci
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer
 
Posts: 10518
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2003 8:43 am
Location: The People's Republic

Re: Podcast: Chapo Trap House

Postby llllllllllllllllllllllll on Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:07 am

How did I miss out on those shirts?
llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

dvockins wrote:Gold hardware means you are number one.
User avatar
llllllllllllllllllllllll
Guardian Diety of the Planet
Guardian Diety of the Planet
 
Posts: 5985
Joined: Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:32 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Podcast: Chapo Trap House

Postby matthew on Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:57 am

Andrew. wrote:After a somewhat rambling episode, Matt Christman closed the most recent show with a rant that someone has taken the time to transcribe. Most people can't write a rant this good, let alone ad lib one on mic.

Image


The problem with this sort of rant is that types like him wouldn't hesitate to support the very same sort of things which brought about that which he is ranting about.

That's neither hyperbole nor ellipsis on my part, unlike him and the rest of his Chapo bros. They all seem to excel in those departments, in a rather teenage manner at that what with all the crudity.

Their treatment of Mr. Williamson at NRO is an exception, because he is a bird of the same sort of feather as them because he uses the same hyperbolic and elliptical sort of cant.

That's just reality.
Last edited by matthew on Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
...diesque nostros in tua pace disponas...
User avatar
matthew
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
 
Posts: 3503
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:38 pm
Location: Gens non sancta.

Re: Podcast: Chapo Trap House

Postby Neuloveyou on Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:38 am

matthew wrote:
That's neither hyperbole nor ellipsis on my part, unlike him and the rest of his Chapo bros. They all seem to excel in those departments, in a rather teenage manner at that what with all the crudity.

Their treatment of Mr. Williamson at NRO is an exception, because he is a bird of the same sort of feather as them because he uses the same hyperbolic and elliptical sort of cant.

That's just reality.


What are you trying to say here?
Neuloveyou
took picture of naked guy
took picture of naked guy
 
Posts: 1153
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:20 am
Location: UK

Re: Podcast: Chapo Trap House

Postby matthew on Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:47 am

Neuloveyou wrote:
matthew wrote:
That's neither hyperbole nor ellipsis on my part, unlike him and the rest of his Chapo bros. They all seem to excel in those departments, in a rather teenage manner at that what with all the crudity.

Their treatment of Mr. Williamson at NRO is an exception, because he is a bird of the same sort of feather as them because he uses the same hyperbolic and elliptical sort of cant.

That's just reality.


What are you trying to say here?


What I already said:

The problem with this sort of rant is that types like him wouldn't hesitate to support the very same sort of things which brought about that which he is ranting about
...diesque nostros in tua pace disponas...
User avatar
matthew
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
 
Posts: 3503
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:38 pm
Location: Gens non sancta.

Re: Podcast: Chapo Trap House

Postby Neuloveyou on Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:00 am

I still do not understand. Why do you say this?
Neuloveyou
took picture of naked guy
took picture of naked guy
 
Posts: 1153
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:20 am
Location: UK

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Anonymous37, cneutron, Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot] and 6 guests