?

CRAP
29%
NOT CRAP
71%

Total votes : 45

Re: Podcast: Chapo Trap House

Postby matthew on Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:26 am

Neuloveyou wrote:I still do not understand.

That's your problem. See above.
...diesque nostros in tua pace disponas...
matthew
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Postby matthew on Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:39 am

Gramsci wrote:^ That was a high point of their rants.

I've been going back through the shows, mainly because I'm deathly sick of all the hyper-sincere punditry of podcasts like Slate etc. My one thought is that Chapo is at it's best when they have a seriously guest on like Jeremy Scahill or Adam Curtis. It reins in the BS and causes them to be far more sharp than the rambling chatter that can fill up some of their shows. That said the rambling chatter can result in moments of clarity like the above rant.

I'm not sure about the rest of you but, like them, I fucking sick of all the dire, pretentious, overly seriously punditry from much of the mainstream liberal left. Papers like The Guardian and NYT etc have played a big role in the shitstorm of 2016 by framing the limits of mainstream left discourse to identity politics while acting as if politics and economics aren't important. Marx was fucking right that the economic conditions people live under creates the wider culture, the mainstream left and centrist liberals have forgotten that, while the conservatives and the far right have carried on partying like it's 1968.

Chapo. Waffles, but is going be good therapy until I can form my own country.

You've never actually lived here as a resident in the USA, FM_Gramsci. Am I right?

I think you'd be appalled if you moved here now. But that's the normal mode of being an American.

Be true to yourself and your own and your family and don't worry too much about the mess here in the United States.

We'll work it out here on our own.
matthew

Postby ooop on Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:24 pm

matthew wrote:The problem with this sort of rant is that types like him wouldn't hesitate to support the very same sort of things which brought about that which he is ranting about.

So you are saying that Matt Christman and "types like him" would not hesitate to support NAFTA and all other kinds of garbage neoliberal policy that have brought about the ruin that Christman describes. What, exactly, the fuck are you talking about?
ooop
timex
timex

Postby Mason on Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:52 pm

matthew wrote:You've never actually lived here as a resident in the USA, FM [whoever]

You need to drop this hang-up of yours, like immediately.
I can re-write this in a patrician Wm. F. Buckley voice if that helps you internalize it better.
Marsupialized wrote:'It's very important for men in bands together to French kiss, every day, even if they don't feel like it'
Mason
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby Neuloveyou on Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:16 pm

Every American must drive through the Germantown area of Philidelphia being appalled by the lack of social order in the black "community".
Neuloveyou
took picture of naked guy

Postby Gramsci on Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:57 pm

matthew wrote:We'll work it out here on our own.

Unfortunately your country has a nasty habit of not returning the favor...
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.
Gramsci
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby Gramsci on Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:58 pm

Mason wrote:
matthew wrote:You've never actually lived here as a resident in the USA, FM [whoever]

I can re-write this in a patrician Wm. F. Buckley voice if that helps you internalize it better.

everyday...
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.
Gramsci
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby Clyde on Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:35 pm

Mason wrote:

The time has come. A fact's a fact.
NewDarkAge wrote:Dialectics, mate. No easy answers.
Clyde
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby Chromodynamic on Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:57 pm

matthew wrote:The problem with this sort of rant is that types like him wouldn't hesitate to support the very same sort of things which brought about that which he is ranting about.

That's neither hyperbole nor ellipsis on my part... That's just reality.

You are a pompous nitwit. I have an increasingly hard time believing your writing isn't a Sokal-esque hoax, of words just strung together that makes sense only on a surface, syntactic, level.
Chromodynamic
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby warmowski on Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:13 pm

Clyde wrote:
Mason wrote:

HOF

-r
warmowski
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby matthew on Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:33 pm

ooop wrote:

So you are saying that Matt Christman and "types like him" would not hesitate to support NAFTA and all other kinds of garbage neoliberal policy that have brought about the ruin that Christman describes.

You got it.
matthew

Postby matthew on Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:40 am

Chromodynamic wrote:

That's neither hyperbole nor ellipsis on my part... That's just reality.

You are a pompous nitwit. I have an increasingly hard time believing your writing isn't a Sokal-esque hoax, of words just strung together that makes sense only on a surface, syntactic, level.

I think you meant that for the Derrida thread. But in any case perhaps we could start a new thread called "Transgressing the Boundaries: Towards a Liberatory Webforum".

I dunno. Just a thought.
matthew

Postby Neuloveyou on Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:07 am

There's only one elliptical cant in this thread...
Neuloveyou

Postby ooop on Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:41 pm

matthew wrote:
ooop wrote:

So you are saying that Matt Christman and "types like him" would not hesitate to support NAFTA and all other kinds of garbage neoliberal policy that have brought about the ruin that Christman describes.

You got it.

OK, so you are a fucking moron who does not know what he's talking about. I get it now.
ooop
timex
timex

Postby matthew on Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:45 am

ooop wrote:
matthew wrote:
ooop wrote:

You got it.

OK, so you are a fucking moron who does not know what he's talking about. I get it now.

Dude, each one of those guys who do that podcast are products of the elite which sells the whole neoliberal thing.

If you think for one moment that their facade of being roguish, anti-establishment "dirty leftists" is anything more than skin-deep, you're kidding yourself.

That's not to say I don't enjoy the little tidbits of satire they do upon media people and politicians both on the "right" and the "left". I was also pleased they had Curtis on too, notwithstanding his penchant for rambles and digressions. It was nice to hear them shut the hell up and hear him just talk. And whenever I hear mention of the Kevin Williamson from NRO now I automatically think "the fat Anton LaVey". That's gold.

So I can take them at face value and enjoy some of their stuff. However I just think it's silly to think that they really "stand" for anything substantial. They're just brutal satirists, comedians and above all entertainers.

They're not unlike Don Imus, or Rush Limbaugh, or Howard Stern. They're just the new version of the shock jock and talk radio rabble rouser all rolled into a podcast.
matthew

Postby matthew on Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:46 am

warmowski wrote:
Clyde wrote:
Mason wrote:

HOF

-r

phpBB [media]
matthew

Postby Neuloveyou on Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:20 am

matthew wrote:
So I can take them at face value and enjoy some of their stuff. However I just think it's silly to think that they really "stand" for anything substantial. They're just brutal satirists, comedians and above all entertainers.

They're not unlike Don Imus, or Rush Limbaugh, or Howard Stern. They're just the new version of the shock jock and talk radio rabble rouser all rolled into a podcast.

They said as much two podcasts ago.

What you stand for, apart from confusing the fuck out of message boards and glaring at black people out of your car window, is another question entirely.
Neuloveyou

Postby Angus Jung on Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:57 pm

I have enjoyed their individual Twitter accounts when I've looked at them.

They are starting to do some really good writing out there, such as Felix Biederman's recent look at contemporary Saudi Arabia, or this great book review/meditation on 'mansplaining' by Amber A'Lee Frost.

The actual podcast isn't for me. Glad others like it.
Angus Jung
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Andrew. on Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:27 pm

Podcast has been very weak for a few weeks. I wish they would better commit to having knowledgeable guests on. When they have a guest on who knows about something, it can be great. Otherwise they just crack each up other about inane Twitter stuff and beltway personalities. It's kind of vapid.
Andrew.
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Chromodynamic on Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:08 pm

Yeah, even someone knowledgeable about something most of them don't know shit about would be pretty cool. Their episode with Jordan Breen, who talked about the weird politics of MMA fighters, is probably one of my favorite episodes in spite of my complete apathy towards MMA; Christman's solo episode was pretty good.

In general I wish they would commit more to being political rather than 'entertainment' but I suspect that they're doing this for legal cover - more exposure means more potential for one of their aggrieved targets to try and take them to court over slander or something else.
Chromodynamic
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap