?

CRAP
30%
NOT CRAP
70%

Total votes : 46

Re: Podcast: Chapo Trap House

Postby Neuloveyou on Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:06 am

While I won't disagree that they're probably spinning their wheels a bit content-wise, it still cracks me up. I have no problems with being a vapid person. The table-top gaming episode has been making me laugh through some stressful times so I am thankful to them for that.

Maybe there will be a renewed focus post-inauguration, maybe not. Regardless, I'll still keep coughing up my five dollars to hear them ragging on all the Fat Draculas out there for my entertainment purposes.
Neuloveyou
took picture of naked guy

Postby llllllllllllllllllllllll on Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:46 am

I kind of brought this up a few pages back, but I think they're not real strong comedians. They still make up for it in a bunch of other ways, and listening to the latest show on the way to work in the morning kind of makes me feel better about everything.

Other left podcasts I like for different reasons:

Doug Henwood's Behind The News
This Is Hell
The Nostalgia Trap

Of those three, The Nostalgia Trap is the most eccentric, Doug Henwood's is pretty dry, and This Is Hell sits somewhere in the middle of the two. None of them are as wild as Chapo.
llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

Lesser Snake “Bali Gold”
llllllllllllllllllllllll
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Gramsci on Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:46 pm

^ This is Hell is fantastic. I think I"m speaking on the show on Feb 11th about the UK and Brexit.

Chapo seem to be getting more "pro" now they're clearing $US25K and growing a month on Patreon. I can tell Maneker, at least, is getting nervous about upping their game. They seem to be settling into roles, Will MC, Felix the dry co host and Matt as the intellectual. As I said earlier the show works well with good guests. IMO they should set up a structure or at least a set of "acts" within the show: Interview, Duck Hunt, a Reading etc... I probably should be mentioning this on their board.

I think Matt is the quiet star of the show. He seems to be amazingly well read and is more likely to attack with some solid theoretical understanding of politics and philosophy.

So far they are doing something very cool, and it seems quite accidentally. They will need to take the professionalism up a notch and maintain their edge, which will be hard to pull off.
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.
Gramsci
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby Andrew. on Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:14 pm

Neuloveyou wrote:While I won't disagree that they're probably spinning their wheels a bit content-wise, it still cracks me up. I have no problems with being a vapid person. The table-top gaming episode has been making me laugh through some stressful times so I am thankful to them for that.

Maybe there will be a renewed focus post-inauguration, maybe not. Regardless, I'll still keep coughing up my five dollars to hear them ragging on all the Fat Draculas out there for my entertainment purposes.

They're helping to produce a culture and sensibility of dissent and critique, regardless of the shortcomings of recent episodes content-wise. Someone somewhere described it as "group therapy for Bernie Bros" and I think there's something to that and not in a bad way. That's a big part of what the best oppositional culture does: it makes you feel less alone and helps you get through your day.

But if they're pulling in $25K a month as Gramsci suggested above (is this true?), they could certainly do more than riff on Twitter personalities.
Andrew.
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby Adam Sr on Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:50 pm

$36000 according to this.
Adam Sr
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby Johnny C on Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:07 pm

I mean, I'm personally watching to see what happens with it over the course of this year. If they mostly use it to sit on their hands, it'll be disappointing. But worth keeping in mind a bit that number's also double what they were pulling in four months ago, and astronomically higher than any realistic expectation for any Patreon, so I doubt they really had plans for it. It's tough to overstate how rapid their audience and income has grown in the eight months they've actually been active.

So far they've disclosed that they've used money to quit their jobs, bring on two additional hosts and a full-time producer, and invest in equipment, as well as pay for hosting for a podcast that sees around fifty thousand listeners a week, all while remaining completely listener-funded and ad-free. If they're smart, they've also probably used it to put a lawyer on retainer and hire an accountant. I know they've mentioned having plans for thetrap.fm, and it wouldn't surprise me if those plans manifest in a couple of other shows being created and/or hauled aboard (like, say, Street Fight or Katie Halper's show). Would be nice to see it used for, I dunno, sponsorships of things like organizing drives and rallies, although for all we know the hosts might already be doing that. Hoping we'll see it in action, though.
Rick Reuben wrote:None of us is the person we were supposed to be.

these estates | architects & builders | delta throats | plywood | oiseaux
Johnny C
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby mazacultura on Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:04 pm

Angus Jung wrote:I have enjoyed their individual Twitter accounts when I've looked at them.

They are starting to do some really good writing out there, such as Felix Biederman's recent look at contemporary Saudi Arabia, or this great book review/meditation on 'mansplaining' by Amber A'Lee Frost.

The actual podcast isn't for me. Glad others like it.

Frost's book review is actually a couple years old, but holy shit is it good. This passage killed me.

It’s worth noting that my review of Solnit's book was originally slotted for another publication, but was killed when a male editor sent an email to the rest of the board that started with “My serious problem is Frost’s review which IMHO radically misreads Solnit”—yes, he took time to bold and color the text for effect (oh how I long for the freedom to emote so emphatically without fear of being branded “hysterical”!). He included a string of select quotes by Solnit, and attached a separate Solnit article intended to edify my review, though nothing he included was in the book, and my review steered clear of assessing Solnit's career, activist credentials or character.

The man in question ended his email with “IMHO Frost should read the attached Solnit piece and some of her other writings, adjust her attitude, and start again from scratch.” I’m not entirely sure if he has a solid grasp of what the “H” in “IMHO” (an acronym for “in my humble opinion”) stands for, or why an impersonal, collegial review of a book requires me to “adjust my attitude,” but this is the logic of the very real phenomenon of mansplaining. Did I mention that this particular man had not read the book I was reviewing?
mazacultura
not wearing any pants
not wearing any pants

Postby Angus Jung on Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:13 pm

Angus Jung
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Caga Tio on Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:31 pm

Will Menaker showed up in the latest Film Comment podcast talking about Steve Bannon's cinematic sharts.

http://www.filmcomment.com/blog/film-comment-podcast-steve-bannon/
Caga Tio
duke
duke

Postby Neuloveyou on Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:21 am

James Adomian as Sebastian Gorka absolutely kills it in the first five minutes of the latest episode.

"My father was Moonraker..."
Neuloveyou

Postby gjp on Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:52 am

In case anyone wants more lefty podcasts to follow I recommend The Discourse Collective.

https://soundcloud.com/discoursecollective
https://twitter.com/discocollective
http://fuckingcommies.com/

Maybe I'm a bit burned out by Chapo (mostly Felix, as I don't find him to be that funny most of the time, and lately found myself just anxiously waiting for him to stop talking to allow Matt or Will to bring things back on topic), but I've been enjoying this show a lot more lately. They keep the inside jokes and Twitter crap to a minimum and keep the discussion on topic a bit better than the Chapo gang. I like that they split the episodes up into categories; theory, news, and culture. The recent culture episode, the Children of Men analysis, was particularly great.

Still love Chapo, but they're best when they get a bit more serious.

That recent cold open was good as hell though.
gjp
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby Neuloveyou on Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:22 pm

I'm actually a big Felix fan, I can very much understand why people would find him to not be the funniest or actively annoying. I will forgive him everything for his Ben Carson and Jeff Sessions impressions and also his Eminem-obsessed Call of Cthulu character.
Neuloveyou

Postby gjp on Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:04 pm

Neuloveyou wrote:I'm actually a big Felix fan, I can very much understand why people would find him to not be the funniest or actively annoying. I will forgive him everything for his Ben Carson and Jeff Sessions impressions and also his Eminem-obsessed Call of Cthulu character.

He definitely has his moments for sure, I'll forever love his Democrat voice ("I might not be _____, but...") but like it's already been said in this thread, Chapo is at it's best when they have "serious" guests/discussions. Not that I dislike his presence on the show, lately he's just kind of irked me with how he temporarily derails the discussion a bit to make a joke that really isn't that funny.
gjp

Postby Gramsci on Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:28 pm

Funny everyone is on Felix. I have a love/hate thing but like the rug in the Big Lebowski he kind of holds the room together. The simple reason Chapo exploded is their chemistry as a group, which isn't overt. You can often hear WIll trying to "manage" Felix's weirdness and random outbursts. But as said above he has some really funny moment's, Democrat Voice, terrible Eminem rapping, Carson, weird obsessions with military "valor" ...

He can be a pain in the ass but it wouldn't work without him.

I had the James Adomian as Sebastian Gorka intro on headphones at work and literally had to stop because I nearly had coffee coming out my nose...

PS, any fellow Grey Wolves out there?
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.
Gramsci
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby Neuloveyou on Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:48 pm

Ride or die Grey Wolf right here.
Neuloveyou

Postby NewDarkAge on Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:58 am

Felix is fantastic.
bishopdante wrote:BTW was not suggesting that my particular area of interest is buttocks, but it is normal for people of all sexes and sexual persuasions to be into butts, is not weird.

Sighthound
NewDarkAge

Postby llllllllllllllllllllllll on Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:38 am

Neuloveyou wrote:Ride or die Grey Wolf right here.

We fail better.
llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

Lesser Snake “Bali Gold”
llllllllllllllllllllllll
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Gramsci on Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:40 am

llllllllllllllllllllllll wrote:
Neuloveyou wrote:Ride or die Grey Wolf right here.

We fail better.

Volcel or incel?
Gramsci
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby Clyde on Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:01 pm

The "clip show" is more or less all the aspects I find the least interesting about CTH compliled into one episode.
NewDarkAge wrote:Dialectics, mate. No easy answers.
Clyde
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby Dave N. on Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:30 pm

I tried to give it another chance and listened to the retrospective. No thanks. Still sounds like Chapo Frat House to me.
Dave N.
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap