home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Band: Shellac

Vote and debate.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Shellac?

crap
33
8%
not crap
396
92%
 
Total votes : 429

Re: Band: Shellac

Postby travis k on Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:34 pm

"Commander Riker... Engage."
User avatar
travis k
the white ho
the white ho
 
Posts: 1671
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:45 pm
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Re: Band: Shellac

Postby AdamN on Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:38 am

mmmribsmmm wrote:Thanks a lot for the suggestions, this is exactly what I'm looking for. Pie shake, you say? Well fuck my sweet tits....


+1. My friend says that he wants to go to the Northside Bistro (Paris of the Midwest) but I want that pie shake. And no to the "Iowa chop".
User avatar
AdamN
men "the master" nguyen
men "the master" nguyen
 
Posts: 575
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:50 pm

Re: Band: Shellac

Postby Raa on Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:41 am

skoz wrote:
Ben Abraham wrote:There are good bands and then there are bands that redefine what's possible. Shellac Of North America are the latter.


I like Shellac and think they put on a great live show but I think you are engaging in hyperbole.


Ben's statement isn't hyperbole to me. I catch myself thinking about Todd's live drumming a lot and miss it with a sort of melancholy longing.
Raa
ella fitzgerald
ella fitzgerald
 
Posts: 519
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:34 am

Re: Band: Shellac

Postby Ben Abraham on Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:11 pm

Raa wrote:
skoz wrote:
Ben Abraham wrote:There are good bands and then there are bands that redefine what's possible. Shellac Of North America are the latter.


I like Shellac and think they put on a great live show but I think you are engaging in hyperbole.


Ben's statement isn't hyperbole to me. I catch myself thinking about Todd's live drumming a lot and miss it with a sort of melancholy longing.


That whole aluminum guitar clang thing many in this forum aspires to emulate, is because of Shellac. Those sounds, as Shellac uses them, didn't exist.

In addition to that pure song structures and song compositions, combined with a minimalist fashion is unique to Shellac; End Of Radio is a good example of this.

I'm not being hyperbolic at all. In my world, they are a ground breaking band.
Ben Abraham
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents
 
Posts: 3932
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:16 am
Location: New York City

Re: Band: Shellac

Postby agiant on Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:30 pm

Ben Abraham wrote:
they are a ground breaking band.


Yes, they are.
blah
User avatar
agiant
mal evans
mal evans
 
Posts: 860
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:44 am
Location: Madrid

Re: Band: Shellac

Postby Gramsci on Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:56 pm

agiant wrote:
Ben Abraham wrote:
they are a ground breaking band.


Yes, they are.


Yup, 99% of people that last here are not here to suck up to FM Steve, in fact I think many separate the band and the man.

Shellac, yes, a ground breaking, one of a kind band. I like some songs more than other and I like some albums more than others but unlike most rock bands using the "standard formula" they moved things forward.

It's easy to forget how much of a rare and wonderful thing that is.
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.
User avatar
Gramsci
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer
 
Posts: 10501
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2003 8:43 am
Location: The People's Republic

Re: Band: Shellac

Postby elisha wiesner on Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:11 pm

Total Mouse rip off.
User avatar
elisha wiesner
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
 
Posts: 4357
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2004 9:12 pm
Location: chilmark

Re: Band: Shellac

Postby Gramsci on Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:29 pm

elisha wiesner wrote:Total Mouse rip off.


Cute ;-)
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.
User avatar
Gramsci
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer
 
Posts: 10501
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2003 8:43 am
Location: The People's Republic

Re: Band: Shellac

Postby skoz on Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:33 pm

Ben, I have to disagree. The first 2 7"s and 1st LP really blew me away. Maybe it was because they were great and original maybe it was because I was 18 or 19 and particularly open to new music.The sound of the guitar in particular made a big impression. I've always enjoyed the shows and bought the records but at this point they haven't really suprised me since the first side of Terraform and that was 18 years ago. So while I do think they are a unique they just sound "like Shellac" and don't seem to be breaking much new ground. They do sound like they are enjoying themselves though and often I like the results. To each his own.
User avatar
skoz
treaty of versailles
treaty of versailles
 
Posts: 1069
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:15 pm

Re: Band: Shellac

Postby Ben Abraham on Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:01 pm

skoz wrote:Ben, I have to disagree. The first 2 7"s and 1st LP really blew me away. Maybe it was because they were great and original maybe it was because I was 18 or 19 and particularly open to new music.The sound of the guitar in particular made a big impression. I've always enjoyed the shows and bought the records but at this point they haven't really suprised me since the first side of Terraform and that was 18 years ago. So while I do think they are a unique they just sound "like Shellac" and don't seem to be breaking much new ground. They do sound like they are enjoying themselves though and often I like the results. To each his own.


But you do own an aluminum neck guitar right?
Ben Abraham
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents
 
Posts: 3932
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:16 am
Location: New York City

Re: Band: Shellac

Postby elisha wiesner on Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:21 pm

The fact that a band 20 years into their career can release a song as original, fresh and down right powerful as 'Riding Bikes' is pretty incredible.
User avatar
elisha wiesner
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
 
Posts: 4357
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2004 9:12 pm
Location: chilmark

Re: Band: Shellac

Postby skoz on Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:16 pm

Ben Abraham wrote:
skoz wrote:Ben, I have to disagree. The first 2 7"s and 1st LP really blew me away. Maybe it was because they were great and original maybe it was because I was 18 or 19 and particularly open to new music.The sound of the guitar in particular made a big impression. I've always enjoyed the shows and bought the records but at this point they haven't really suprised me since the first side of Terraform and that was 18 years ago. So while I do think they are a unique they just sound "like Shellac" and don't seem to be breaking much new ground. They do sound like they are enjoying themselves though and often I like the results. To each his own.


But you do own an aluminum neck guitar right?


Yeah I have 3 of them and yes it's probably because my girlfriend when I was 18 played me those 7"s and I went holy shit that guitar sounds incredible but between 93 and 2009 when I bought my baritone I also listened to a lot of Arab on Radar, Public Image Limited, John Dwyer, Ben Greenberg, Paul Lai, Liar, Goat etc. and if I were working on a real music project rather than dicking around on the couch it probably wouldn't sound very much like Shellac at all.
User avatar
skoz
treaty of versailles
treaty of versailles
 
Posts: 1069
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:15 pm

Re: Band: Shellac

Postby Ben Abraham on Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:29 pm

Shellac is the reason EGC exists today.
Ben Abraham
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents
 
Posts: 3932
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:16 am
Location: New York City

Re: Band: Shellac

Postby skoz on Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:39 pm

Ben Abraham wrote:Shellac is the reason EGC exists today.


FM Steve being a smart and helpful community oriented guy is A reason EGC exists.
User avatar
skoz
treaty of versailles
treaty of versailles
 
Posts: 1069
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:15 pm

Re: Band: Shellac

Postby elisha wiesner on Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:15 pm

Ben Abraham wrote:Shellac is the reason EGC exists today.


I'm pretty sure Kevin is the reason EGC exists today.
User avatar
elisha wiesner
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
 
Posts: 4357
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2004 9:12 pm
Location: chilmark

Re: Band: Shellac

Postby tmidgett on Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:12 pm

elisha wiesner wrote:
Ben Abraham wrote:Shellac is the reason EGC exists today.


I'm pretty sure Kevin is the reason EGC exists today.


EGC exists because Kevin worked his back to dust making it.

Steve helped. He tells me I helped. Other people did, probably.

Any credit he gives anyone else is way way way way too much.
User avatar
tmidgett
Present-day God
Present-day God
 
Posts: 9152
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2003 1:30 pm

Re: Band: Shellac

Postby Ben Abraham on Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:56 am

tmidgett wrote:
elisha wiesner wrote:
Ben Abraham wrote:Shellac is the reason EGC exists today.


I'm pretty sure Kevin is the reason EGC exists today.


EGC exists because Kevin worked his back to dust making it.

Steve helped. He tells me I helped. Other people did, probably.

Any credit he gives anyone else is way way way way too much.


Of course, this it true.
Ben Abraham
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents
 
Posts: 3932
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:16 am
Location: New York City

Re: Band: Shellac

Postby uglysound on Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:00 am

How many FMs will be at the Minneapolis show on Friday? I might be bringing my modular with if anyone is down for a noise-making/jam session hangout on Saturday.
User avatar
uglysound
timex
timex
 
Posts: 359
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:52 pm

Re: Band: Shellac

Postby Pasta on Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:24 am

Flashbacked on the Millenium Park show a few years back, Bob and Steve running around the band shell during Wingwalker. A life affirming moment.
RSMurphy wrote:Everything I enjoy about metal: heavy, cool riffs, hooks, expressive vocals.
User avatar
Pasta
Fucking Survivor....Fuck Cancer
 
Posts: 3156
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2004 3:11 pm
Location: Doom Town

Re: Band: Shellac

Postby the Classical on Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:22 pm

I will be at the Mpls show, wouldn't miss it, I mean they'll be tour tight by then!
User avatar
the Classical
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
 
Posts: 3452
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2003 11:00 am
Location: Minneapolis

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Gary and 10 guests