17%
Not Crap
74%
Bears further study
9%

Total votes : 46

Re: UK Band: IDLES

Postby fedaykin13 on Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:50 am

Ike wrote:I appreciate the 3rd voting option, because after one listen, this seems entirely unremarkable in every way. Actual noise-rock-by-the-numbers music.

I'll give it another shot, though.

Same here. I like the singer's voice (which for some reason has become way more important to my enjoyment of a band than ever before) on paper--as well as a lot of other elements. Just not doing it for me.

Not really getting the mclusky/future of the left comparison and wondering if that + hype gave me expectations.
Tommy Alpha wrote:fedaykin13 is right

http://www.prfsinglesclub.com/
fedaykin13
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby 154 on Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:04 am

'Samaritans' is really good but otherwise not really liking the new one, especially the 'rah rah' vocal moments.
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby A_Man_Who_Tries on Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:21 am

Pretty dull. Pretty goshdarned dull.
maintain a healthy foe list
A_Man_Who_Tries
"kick a ginger day" victim
"kick a ginger day" victim

Postby sulfur)addict on Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:48 pm

154 wrote:'Samaritans' is really good but otherwise not really liking the new one, especially the 'rah rah' vocal moments.

Yeah, it's not holding up to re-listens, is it?

"Samaritans," "Colossus," "I'm Scum," "June," "Love Song" I guess.

It's a pretty good EP surrounded by filler.
Kerouacian as fuck.

NewDarkAge wrote:why, the fuck, would you post zizek in this thread
sulfur)addict
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby edventure on Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:37 pm

Saw them last night in Williamsburg. I was honestly there mostly to see the opener Bambara (who fucking rule live), but I gotta admit I was pretty surprised at the turnout. Keep in mind I have only heard of this band through the PRF. The crowd really packed it in for IDLES when they took the stage, jumping down in anticipation during "Colossus" and practically exploding when they hit the climactic part. I'm lukewarm on the new album but the tracks they played from it really sounded great live. See em while you still can, I can imagine them playing stadiums this time next year.
edventure
thomas paine
thomas paine

Postby Dave N. on Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:50 pm

I gave the new one a loud listen. It’s not working for me. Seemed a little too self-aware or something. A little too much affectation. I’m sure they’ll be wildly popular, soon.
Dave N.
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Postby Gantry on Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:52 am

Gantry
tired of birds
tired of birds

Postby dontfeartheringo on Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:56 am

Gantry wrote:

I am missing this show in Atlanta tonight and I am bummed.

He's wearing a Bambara shirt. They are also great and from here.
Anthony Flack wrote:The sax would be a cool instrument if people would only stop making it go burrrrrBLEEEEEE.
dontfeartheringo
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby M.H on Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:47 am

Haven’t heard enough to vote, but I like the miasmatic, textured approach the guitarists create (it’s very goth sounding, IMO) and hate the drumming, lyrics and beards. Heavier rhythms would anchor them down, it all sounds too skittish for me to really get into.
M.H
boutros boutros-ghali
boutros boutros-ghali

Postby Ike on Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:50 am

I feel like I'm losing my mind. So, so many people whose taste in music I respect are into this.

I cannot stand this music.

Every song sounds like the same rhythm from FF=66 by Jawbox, the guitar playing is neither inventive nor distinctive, and the vocals are awful.

The lyrics might be great--I'd have to read them.

This one is baffling to me! Maybe even more than when y'all plotzed over that awful "I'm on smokebreak" song.

I guess this is why they race horses!
Last edited by Ike on Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ike
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt

Postby Gramsci on Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:16 pm

J. Burns wrote:Something about the vocals and lyrics isn’t clicking for me.

Colossus is one the best songs I've heard in years and “I am my father’s son/His shadow weighs a ton” is perfect.

The new album is a fantastic piece of work, the recording is superb.
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.
Gramsci
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby savineis on Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:52 am

I think this band is really enjoyable.

Not crap, no waffles.
savineis
ensign
ensign

Postby Dave N. on Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:47 am

It’s not just you, Ike. I’m not feeling it, either.
Dave N.

Postby Adam Sr on Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:14 pm

That Oi 2.0 chorus in the Jools clip is the final nail in the coffin for me.

Shite.
Adam Sr
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby Dudley on Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:47 am

Strangely conflicted, in that I agree with most of the comments here.

Heard them a bit. Wasn't impressed by the Sham 69-ish-ness and the painfully basic sloganeering.

Saw them at Primavera, and they did nothing for me. All the running about just looked hyper and trying-too-hard.

But having absorbed "Danny Nedelko" and "GREAT" via 6music, I got the record, and so far I'm enjoying it, more despite the music rather than because of it. I think it's largely because I am so fucking appalled and furious about what is going on in my country at the moment that it makes the "painfully basic sloganeering" feel really necessary right now. Someone shouting back at the waves of hate, ignorance and fucking idiocy is just what I need.

So even though it's shit for "Crap/Not Crap", I pretty much agree with all of you.
Seby wrote:How does the sting of marginalisation taste now, you pick-using oppressors?
Dudley
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents

Postby wellbutrin on Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:09 am

Dudley wrote:Saw them at Primavera, and they did nothing for me. All the running about just looked hyper and trying-too-hard.

Also my first instinct when I saw them on Jools Holland. Then I realized it's awesome to have that much energy, and that I am old and should never knock a band for not just standing there and playing.

That being said, I think I just like the song "I'm Scum" and that's pretty much it.
wellbutrin
vishnu
vishnu

Postby Andrew. on Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:30 pm

Adam Sr wrote:That Oi 2.0 chorus

I don't enjoy this aspect of the band. Someone said the new one is a good EP. I kinda feel like that about the first album, but mostly because I don't find enough going on to warrant the repetition in some tracks. Some songs should end a minute or two sooner. On the other hand, I could listen to certain sections of their songs on repeat, like the "sexual violence doesn't start and end with rape" section of "Mother." I love that chunk of music and lyrics. And the whole song is great.

I watched a YouTube clip where a boy, like 10 or something I don't know how old, interviewed the underwear guitarist about the new album and his favourite track, and the underwear guitarist said he really likes to dance more than play guitar, or something like that, and there's a track where he doesn't have to play a lot and can just dance and move his guitar around. I like that part of the band. I think their energy is genuine. Lead singer dude is like a carehome worker or something by day, right? Or he was. He probably won't have to do that again for a while, but he was.

I streamed the new album a few times on the highway the other week and I'll probably buy it, but I wish there was more going on. I don't really like the Ra Ra Ra Raaaa repetitive pop elements of this band. But I like the band. I like the drummer.
Andrew.
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Andrew. on Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:45 pm

Incidentally, the "men are scared women will laugh in their face / women are scared its their lives men will take" line is a reformulation of a Margaret Atwood quote ("Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them.").
Andrew.
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Dudley on Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:43 am

Andrew. wrote:the underwear guitarist

Brilliant.

When I am king, it will be mandatory that in all bands with two or more guitarists, one of them will have to assume the role of "underwear guitarist."
Seby wrote:How does the sting of marginalisation taste now, you pick-using oppressors?
Dudley

Postby J. Burns on Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:04 pm

Gramsci wrote:
J. Burns wrote:Something about the vocals and lyrics isn’t clicking for me.

Colossus is one the best songs I've heard in years and “I am my father’s son/His shadow weighs a ton” is perfect.

The new album is a fantastic piece of work, the recording is superb.

That's a good lyric. A lot of the other stuff kinda strikes me as entry-level Wokebook 101 stuff and I'm glad that they're on the side of good and not evil but the "this snowflake is an avalanche" type stuff doesn't hit for me and the repetition of a lot of the lyrics makes it worse.
J. Burns
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap