Big Thief: Yay or Nay?

Crap
11%
Not Crap
89%

Total votes : 18

Band: Big Thief

Postby SkronkFronkerdale on Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:19 pm

Didn't see this band mentioned anywhere. Was at a "folk" festival recently and discovered this band quite fortunately. Rightfully so, I think, I'm generally skeptical about music that fits in the "folk-rock" genre bag(not to mention any music whatsoever if it sounds like its trying too hard to fit into a box or mold), and I hate a lot of music of that ilk, but this Adrianne Lenker girl is obviously one of those natural-born songwriters that can't be easily dismissed if you pay a little closer attention. She also has one of the best voices I've ever heard. When I saw them she sang with so much raw emotion and passion it gave me chills. She also came across as extremely sweet, humble and down to earth whenever she addressed the audience in her awkward/charming way. Was really quite impressed all in all, and excited to discover such a great talent. She's kinda similar to Sharon Van Etten, another great modern songwriter of more traditional formats. Big Thief rocks a lot harder than Sharon though, complete with Sonic Youth style guitar freak outs in moments. Resembles Elliott Smith at times. Some creative guitar work and song structures at times. They have some towering songs with big hooks. I dig. I love any music when its done this well and with such genuine passion and inspiration. They hail from New York.

Here are some of the better songs for the uninitiated:

phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]

I know this kind of music may not be everyone's thing around here, but I'm curious as to what ya'll think of them!
SkronkFronkerdale
mister rogers
mister rogers

Re: Band: Big Thief

Postby Ranxerox on Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:45 pm

Super Thief
Ranxerox
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt

Postby llllllllllllllllllllllll on Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:58 pm

"Masterpiece" is such a great song. The rest of the record didn't quite strike me in the same way, but to be fair I haven't given it much of a chance. Haven't heard the new one yet but looking forward to it.
llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

Lesser Snake “Bali Gold”
llllllllllllllllllllllll
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby RBoyer on Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:46 pm

So reminiscent of "Big Chief" that I'm hesitant to trust it.
Drums/Guitar: Police Teeth, Mister Dude. Spring/Summer '19: the Purgatory Lights.
RBoyer
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby Evin Relocation on Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:15 pm

RBoyer wrote:So reminiscent of "Big Chief" that I'm hesitant to trust it.

Less we forget...
Evin Relocation
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt

Postby elisha wiesner on Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:28 am

Masterpiece has some great songs on it. "Real Love" is really something. I haven't connected with the new one yet but will definitely give it a few more spins.

Not Crap.
elisha wiesner
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby Mason on Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:01 am

Big Thief is the first band in a long while that everyone in my life (who'd have heard them at all) agrees are pretty good.

The solo from "Masterpiece" is one of the better solos of the decade.

Not Crap.
Marsupialized wrote:'It's very important for men in bands together to French kiss, every day, even if they don't feel like it'
Mason
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby SkronkFronkerdale on Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:48 pm

llllllllllllllllllllllll wrote:"Masterpiece" is such a great song. The rest of the record didn't quite strike me in the same way, but to be fair I haven't given it much of a chance. Haven't heard the new one yet but looking forward to it.

Yeah. "Masterpiece" is the obvious hit, but I kinda feel that the other two I put up from that record, "Parallels" and "Humans" are equal in quality, though I haven't listened to the rest of the record super closely either. "Parallels" might even be their best song on that album. The new record seems to me to be a little better overall, but the Masterpiece album maybe has the one or two very best songs they have. I pretty well like every song I've heard though. I bought the Capacity record as it was the only one there, but I'd like to get Masterpiece yet too. "Mary" is a really powerful song. All in all I'm really excited to have discovered them, and look forward to having them around. Tons of lesser good bands with more hype out there, or so it seems to me. I think Adrianne in particular is really special.
SkronkFronkerdale
mister rogers
mister rogers

Postby Adam I II on Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:59 am

Took my daughter (14) to see them earlier this month as a first 'proper' gig since she's always expressed a liking for them when they've been on in the house. It was an absolutely astounding show; played as a 3 piece (guitarist now just solo?) which brought a beautiful ebb and flow sort of organic power to the songs that the albums don't quite have (although I love them).

So close to being bog-standard indie rock, and yet something other than that. Wonderful.

Girl-unit is now obsessed with them.

N/C :WF: zero.
Sure as Kilimanjaro rises like Olympus above the Serengeti.
Adam I II
grover
grover

Postby Adam I II on Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:59 am

DP
Sure as Kilimanjaro rises like Olympus above the Serengeti.
Adam I II
grover
grover

Postby Anonymous37 on Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:16 pm

That interlude in "Pretty Things" at about the 1:50 mark, when the mechanical sounds build up and then diminish as Lenker starts to sing again -- that was one of the most remarkable things I've ever heard on a song. The first time I heard it, it was like a revelation. I still have no idea how they came up with it and how they knew that it would work so well and so powerfully.
Anonymous37
assclown
assclown

Postby Andrew. on Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:04 am

Mason wrote:Big Thief is the first band in a long while that everyone in my life (who'd have heard them at all) agrees are pretty good.

The solo from "Masterpiece" is one of the better solos of the decade.

Not Crap.

THIS!

All of it. All three lines.

I'm dating someone who is younger than me, isn't white, and was never into heavy music. She wouldn't have any time for a lot of the music I love most. The other day she says "I'm obsessed with this band." Then she played this, and I was like "Damn. This is good. And whoah, that is a surprisingly cool guitar solo."
Andrew.
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby night_tools on Sat May 05, 2018 6:42 pm

I love 'Masterpiece'. Magnificent song. Bought the record on the strength of that - solid but the rest of the album didn't grab me quite so much. Missed the chance to see them live cause of work, but I wanted to go. I like this band. NC

Hi Adam!!
andteater wrote:My ex wife never appreciated my music, but the men of the PRF do. This is important.
night_tools
Guardian Diety of the Planet
Guardian Diety of the Planet

Postby Andrew. on Wed May 01, 2019 1:56 pm

Third album drops Friday. This track has a bit of a Nina Nastasia and Jim White vibe to it if you play it loud. I like this band. I've avoided reading *about* them, but to the extent I've checked out interviews and recording videos and stuff they seem like pure musician hippies in the good way. Whatever serves the song and all that. If they wanted to crank out a pop tune, they could be huge w Lenker's voice, lyrics, and looks. But they seem uncompromising in a good millennial way.

Anyone check out Adrianne Lenker's solo album? I haven't.
Andrew.
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby NewDarkAge on Mon May 06, 2019 4:22 pm

The new record is really good. They’re stretching things out a bit rhythmically and there’s some interesting sample stuff going on. A nice confidence to it. And wonderful acoustic guitar playing throughout.

Going to see them in a few weeks, the night before a three hour 9am exam.
bishopdante wrote:BTW was not suggesting that my particular area of interest is buttocks, but it is normal for people of all sexes and sexual persuasions to be into butts, is not weird.

Sighthound
NewDarkAge
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby Angus Jung on Tue May 07, 2019 10:58 am

I was talking to a guy at a fest I played out here in the desert who said he opened a recent show for Big Thief in L.A. and they sold out a 1,000 seat theater? Is that possible?

Anyway, pretty good. Gillian Welch fans might like. NC
Angus Jung
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Major on Tue May 07, 2019 6:35 pm

I like the rhythm section.
Major
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Andrew. on Thu May 09, 2019 3:25 pm

Major wrote:I like the rhythm section.

Agreed
Andrew.
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby NewDarkAge on Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:04 am

New single is a ripper.

phpBB [media]

On Twitter fm tmidyett said the solo is the most Andy Cohen sounding thing that isn’t Andy or Karl Hendricks. That should get your attention!
bishopdante wrote:BTW was not suggesting that my particular area of interest is buttocks, but it is normal for people of all sexes and sexual persuasions to be into butts, is not weird.

Sighthound
NewDarkAge

Postby Major on Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:39 am

^Yep

I checked out that track based on FM TM’s tweet. It smokes. Way better than anything else I’ve heard.
Major
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Next

Return to Crap / Not Crap