Big Thief: Yay or Nay?

Crap
11%
Not Crap
89%

Total votes : 18

Re: Band: Big Thief

Postby Ike on Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:28 am

The rare air of "this is not working for me at all" blooms into "kinda want to hear that song again" transfiguring into "this is all I want to listen to."

Some genuinely strange turns in some of these songs.

Not crap.
Ike
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby Andrew. on Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:24 pm

NewDarkAge wrote:New single is a ripper.

phpBB [media]

On Twitter fm tmidyett said the solo is the most Andy Cohen sounding thing that isn’t Andy or Karl Hendricks. That should get your attention!

Holy shit WTF. Another new album within 6 months of their most recent one?! This track is wicked. And that's the singer Adrianne Lenker taking that solo I see.

Now I'm even more stoked to be seeing them in Minneapolis in October.
Andrew.
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby eliya on Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:53 pm

Ike wrote:The rare air of "this is not working for me at all" blooms into "kinda want to hear that song again" transfiguring into "this is all I want to listen to."

Yeah I only listened to their new song ("Not"), and I'm not sure I like it but I listened to it 7 times today.

Edit: I'm in!
eliya

Postby A_Man_Who_Tries on Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:27 am

Just heard 'Not', which sounds like an outro piece for any given NY-based podcast episode. No idea if it's representative of their output, but it's bland for sure.
maintain a healthy foe list
A_Man_Who_Tries
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt

Postby Andrew. on Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:20 pm

A_Man_Who_Tries wrote:Just heard 'Not', which sounds like an outro piece for any given NY-based podcast episode. No idea if it's representative of their output, but it's bland for sure.

This is presumably true of basically every folk-rock band that has ever existed. It's not death metal. I can see how they seem bland on first listen of one track, though I'm not sure the two-and-a-half-minute dissonant guitar solo outro of this track is the stuff of NPR or whatever.

Fwiw, if you consider their entire catalog, I think Lenker is a uniquely good lyricist and songwriter, and as Major mentioned they have a good rhythm section if you listen. But yeah, if you categorically dislike the genre they roughly work in, they're obviously not going to hit you as anything special.
Andrew.

Postby Ike on Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:01 pm

Listened to nothing but this in the past 2-3 days. Kinda of shocking how much it is hitting me.

The first album and the third one are really fantastic. Occasionally her voice doesn't land for me, but goddammit the lyrics are so great. Almost always. Even that "Orange is the color of my love" song. It borders something that is just too far into that fake-o old timey thing for me, but the lyrics are so fucked up. Don't totally know what that song is about if I'm being honest.

This is cool. I don't fall for new bands much. I'm feeling young again.
Ike

Postby A_Man_Who_Tries on Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:19 am

Andrew. wrote:
A_Man_Who_Tries wrote:Just heard 'Not', which sounds like an outro piece for any given NY-based podcast episode. No idea if it's representative of their output, but it's bland for sure.

This is presumably true of basically every folk-rock band that has ever existed. It's not death metal. I can see how they seem bland on first listen of one track, though I'm not sure the two-and-a-half-minute dissonant guitar solo outro of this track is the stuff of NPR or whatever.

Fwiw, if you consider their entire catalog, I think Lenker is a uniquely good lyricist and songwriter, and as Major mentioned they have a good rhythm section if you listen. But yeah, if you categorically dislike the genre they roughly work in, they're obviously not going to hit you as anything special.

It's a genre I enjoy. I just don't enjoy the one song I've heard. Don't know anything about the catalogue, so haven't voted here.
maintain a healthy foe list
A_Man_Who_Tries
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt

Postby Adam I II on Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:18 am

That 'Not' song! I love it!

Touring UK in spring; have tickets and am very excited. Maybe my favourite functioning band.
Sure as Kilimanjaro rises like Olympus above the Serengeti.
Adam I II
grover
grover

Postby Andrew. on Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:24 pm

Ike wrote:Listened to nothing but this in the past 2-3 days. Kinda of shocking how much it is hitting me.

The first album and the third one are really fantastic. Occasionally her voice doesn't land for me, but goddammit the lyrics are so great. Almost always. Even that "Orange is the color of my love" song. It borders something that is just too far into that fake-o old timey thing for me, but the lyrics are so fucked up. Don't totally know what that song is about if I'm being honest.

This is cool. I don't fall for new bands much. I'm feeling young again.

I love this. I had the same thing happen.
Andrew.

Postby kerble on Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:33 pm

Finally heard "Not" today, and ordered their entire discography halfway through the guitar solo. Totally on board. Thanks for bumping the thread, folks. I was unaware of them.
kerble is right.
SA | SF | FZ | SI | RD | DA | K | CP | T
kerble
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby BobSimms on Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:09 pm

Mason wrote:The solo from "Masterpiece" is one of the better solos of the decade.

Agreed. Listening to the new “Not” song (thanks PRF for the reminder, I had forgotten they already had a new album out), I was really impressed by the solo, if not the entirety of the song. It’s a good song, but it’s no “Masterpiece”. I would love to know what pedal she used on that.

Buck’s solo on “Masterpiece” is one of those brilliantly executed, giddy, purposely “sloppy”, exhilarating performances that remind you how joyful rock guitar playing and listening can be. Like, in case you ever forget how joyful it can be.

Big Thief otherwise don’t make music that I want to listen to all the time, and I even find it a chore to get through entire albums of theirs, but there is no question that they are extremely good at what they do, so I voted NC with no waffles. I’m happy to see they have a 100% NC rating here.
BobSimms
scout
scout

Postby BobSimms on Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:11 pm

kerble wrote:Finally heard "Not" today, and ordered their entire discography halfway through the guitar solo. Totally on board. Thanks for bumping the thread, folks. I was unaware of them.

Ha! Wait until you hear “Masterpiece”.
BobSimms
scout
scout

Postby night_tools on Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:28 am

kerble wrote:Finally heard "Not" today, and ordered their entire discography halfway through the guitar solo. Totally on board. Thanks for bumping the thread, folks. I was unaware of them.

I just did this as well.
Bought 'Masterpiece' when it came out, slept on the two after that. My bad.
New single is great!
andteater wrote:My ex wife never appreciated my music, but the men of the PRF do. This is important.
night_tools
Guardian Diety of the Planet

Postby voncorn on Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:49 pm

‘Two Hands’ is terrific and has grabbed me more immediately than ‘UFOF’ did, which I still enjoyed a lot anyhow.

I held off on listening to “Not” until hearing the full record... man that’s some good shit. All the previous gushing about it was entirely warranted.
voncorn
crate
crate

Postby Andrew. on Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:07 pm

They were on Colbert this week.

Andrew.

Postby Andrew. on Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:29 pm

Fantastic sold-out show w Palehound as openers in Minneapolis last night. Recommend seeing them if you like the albums. They're great live.
Andrew.

Postby octoberallover on Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:05 pm

I’m having a hard time with this. I feel like they want to embrace Silkworm but they also want to tap into that anti-punk AM radio twang that somehow got coded as "audacious".
octoberallover
scout
scout

Postby Andrew. on Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:37 am

octoberallover wrote:I’m having a hard time with this. I feel like they want to embrace Silkworm but they also want to tap into that anti-punk AM radio twang that somehow got coded as "audacious".

There's nothing edgy about this band musically (they're folk-rock), but I also don't think they chase trends or do anything other than make the music they want to.
Andrew.

Postby night_tools on Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:12 pm

Yeah that's completely the vibe I get from them. Just playing their songs. I don't think they have a hidden agenda.
andteater wrote:My ex wife never appreciated my music, but the men of the PRF do. This is important.
night_tools

Postby Andrew. on Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:39 am

We got ourselves to a great spot in the venue before it got unbearably packed, so I took some video clips including Lenker's guitar solo on "Not." She plays with a thumb pick and fingers and has a great sound imho. Buck Meek has amazing restraint for such a great player. There's long sections of songs where he either plays nothing or just sings harmony, but he's always grooving around in his little knickers and pointy shoes. Drummer is obviously one of those lovely pure musician weirdos who doesn't give a fuck about wearing matching socks or clothes that fit, etc.

Andrew.

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap