Sonic Youth?

CRAP
15%
NOT CRAP
85%

Total votes : 314

Re: Band: Sonic Youth

Postby tallchris on Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:21 am

That run of Murray->Nurse->Ripped is pretty great. The Eternal is kind of a snore but I've only given it a handful of listens.
Bass, minivan: [BRACKETS]
Guitar, vocals: BURN PERMITS
Bass, vocals: POLICE TEETH
tallchris
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby eliya on Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:03 pm

Ike wrote:ELIYA! I'm gonna listen to Sonic Nurse again today to see where it lands. I've always liked the SOUND of that album a lot, but I can't for the life of me remember any songs right now. Like, zip, no songs are coming to my mind.

That's exactly how I feel about it. Sounded good but none of it is memorable. I like that we're synced! Awaiting your report.
eliya
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby voncorn on Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:32 pm

The two songs I remember most from SN are "The Dripping Dream" and "Peace Attack". Haven't listened to the album since the summer of '17 when I was on a SF to LA road trip. After thinking about "Peace Attack" in my head just now, I got goosebumps all up my arms, that certainly makes it count for something.

Okay fuck it, I'm putting it on right now.
voncorn
president
president

Postby El Protoolio on Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:15 am

Finally hearing the Eternal 10 years too late. It's not bad. Quite the rock and roll record for Sonic Youth. Would listen again.
El Protoolio
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Gramsci on Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:07 am

Was listening to Dirty for the first time in a long time this week. Still my favourite for listenability and heaviness. They were sharing a rehearsal space in New York with Helmet at the time, Betty and Dirty definitely have some cross fertilisation going on.

One thing that has always stuck me is the goofiness of the lyrics, I assume that's a cross of influences of "hey daddy-oh" beat gen slag and the Ramones. As a guitar player I find it impossible not be taken in by their attempts to redefine the instrument. I've even grown to enjoy Shelley's Boom Boom Cha drumming.

Not crap, even when they aren't good.
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.
Gramsci
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby mrcancelled on Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:36 pm

I miss 'em. Even though by the time I started seeing them they were well past the point in their career when they were releasing my favorite albums, I never felt like I was missing them in their heyday, so to speak, live.

I couldn't say the same for plenty of other bands who'd been around for decades or who reunited after a long time--there was always at least a twinge of wishing I'd seen them much earlier. Even if these shows I saw were great in their own right (as many of them were), there was still a sense that these bands were playing a sort of homage to their earlier days. A sort of special tribute. But not with SY, somehow. Every time I saw them they always managed to play decades old songs as if they were songs they'd just finished rehearsing and were stoked to be playing them for the first time on tour. And I sort of stopped paying attention to their releases after Nurse but it was still always great to see them play the newer tunes live too.
mrcancelled
richard scarry
richard scarry

Postby Gramsci on Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:17 am

Anyone else enjoying Kim Gordon's newish solo album, No Home Record? It's great.
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.
Gramsci
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby kerble on Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:35 pm

Gramsci wrote:Anyone else enjoying Kim Gordon's newish solo album, No Home Record? It's great.

Yeah! Pretty surprised, as I'm not a huge fan of her voice, but it takes some real cool turns. The back half noise/synth jam on "Cookie Butter" is exceptional. I really liked "Sketch Artist", too. It has dope beats.
kerble is right.
SA | SF | FZ | SI | RD | DA | K | CP | T
kerble
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby OrthodoxEaster on Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:23 pm

There's a new double live album, totally official and stuff, w/incredibly nice packaging (letterpressed insert, I believe), recorded professionally at the end of the Daydream Nation tour in Moscow. Features a very unusual version of "White Cross" w/a long instrumental intro. Expensive but worth it. Russian import. Merry Xmas to me. Quality product:

https://kontraband.ru/sonicyouth/

That said, I still can't muster much energy for anything after the '80s beyond a handful of songs here and there.
OrthodoxEaster
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby skoz on Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:45 pm

OrthodoxEaster wrote:There's a new double live album, totally official and stuff, w/incredibly nice packaging (letterpressed insert, I believe), recorded professionally at the end of the Daydream Nation tour in Moscow. Features a very unusual version of "White Cross" w/a long instrumental intro. Expensive but worth it. Russian import. Merry Xmas to me. Quality product:

https://kontraband.ru/sonicyouth/

That said, I still can't muster much energy for anything after the '80s beyond a handful of songs here and there.

Agreed about 80s SY. That record looks awesome but man is that brutally
expensive! 21 euros shipping!
skoz
treaty of versailles
treaty of versailles

Postby Bernardo on Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:24 pm

I was surprised at how much I enjoyed Kim's latest. I think it's the only solo work by a SY member I particularly liked.
Bernardo

Postby Tommy on Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:58 am

Gramsci wrote:I've even grown to enjoy Shelley's Boom Boom Cha drumming.

I still cannot figure out why Shelley's drumming is dogged so much. I think he's a pretty great and distinctive drummer. Dude is a master of tom-forward drum patterns.
Tommy
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby four_oclocker_2 on Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:18 pm

Steve's drumming was always great - even going back to when he was in the Crucifucks. Seriously, go back to that first album and he's already doing that thing where he's doing the 8ths on the hi-hat and throwing in that left hand for the occasional 16ths and it's rad.

phpBB [media]

He was the perfect drummer for that band and I can't imagine anyone else propelling them in the way he did.
Jazz Titan/Ruthie Cohen

KJ/HM/MH/DB

"I'm not in the Kiss Army. But I am in the reserves, and could be called up at any time." - Warmowski
four_oclocker_2
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby tmidgett on Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:55 pm

steve was the perfect drummer for SY

super good

I am sure I mention it elsewhere in this thread...

...but the best set of rock music I ever saw was SY opening for Crazy Horse. KeyArena in Seattle. Mindblowing, and I had been lucky enough to be at the "Hold That Tiger" show at Metro, so I well knew how great they could be.
tmidgett
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Me Again on Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:41 am

Shelley is a very good drummer. I think they're all talented musicians who played well together.

The main drawback with Sonic Youth is that a good chunk of their stuff sounds like it was made up in the studio, without a lot of planning...and unwittingly or not, they kind of repeated themselves as time wore on, diluting the impact of their best work by spreading themselves a bit thin over time. They have a number of tracks that sound like they were kinda "winging it" as it were or rehashing or revisiting earlier ideas. And they sometimes chased trends to less than favorable effect (see: their Judgment Night collab, and Experimental Jetset... as a kind of unspoken stab at bridging their sound with then-prominent Beck and Grand Royal sensibilities; not their finest hour).

Sometimes everything works ("Dirty Boots," the more recent "Incinerate" and "Reena," pretty much all of Confusion Is Sex/Kill Yr. Idols, "Sunday," etc.); other times the vocals grate a bit, or the lyrics seem like they were a rush job/after thought, or the songs sound like Glen Branca by way of the Grateful Dead and don't seem to add up to all that much. They're Not Crap, and definitely better than, like, Blind Melon or Stabbing Westward or whatever tripe dominated MTV in the nineties, but Sonic Youth are still more hit or miss than many probably think.

Aside from all that, there's the at times awkward relationship they had between being a quasi-unassailable cool band with arty/underground NYC roots on the one hand and being a major label band with its fingers in more pies than usual on the other. I don't really care to wade into this too much, as for the most part D.I.Y./indie puritanism bores me, but I know some people have taken issue with it in the past. And it still seems there was some sort of dissonance there (see: their Starbucks release with its backhanded cover art).
...with Euro-Sprockets coming at you from every direction.
Me Again
urinated in reservoir
urinated in reservoir

Postby llllllllllllllllllllllll on Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:33 am

I really love Steve Shelley’s drumming. I think it especially shines on the High Confessions’ Turning Lead Into Gold, where he does sort of a krautrock thing. Fucking spectacular.
llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

dvockins wrote:Gold hardware means you are number one.
llllllllllllllllllllllll
Guardian Diety of the Planet
Guardian Diety of the Planet

Postby El Protoolio on Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:24 pm

Shelley made that band what it is. He is perfect for them. Their earlier drummers were great but the band gels with Steve Shelley.
El Protoolio
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby tallchris on Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:11 pm

Do people think a Bonham/Grohl/Crover/McNeilly bruiser would have sounded "better" w/ SY? I don't hear that AT ALL.
Bass, minivan: [BRACKETS]
Guitar, vocals: BURN PERMITS
Bass, vocals: POLICE TEETH
tallchris

Postby OrthodoxEaster on Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:50 pm

Steve is good.

But my fave Sonic Youth drum performance is Jim Sclavunos on "The World Looks Red."

He also sounds great on "Inhuman" and "Confusion Is Next." Unfortunately, his tenure w/the band was contentious and brief, and he only plays on about 3/4 of Confusion Is Sex (and none of Kill Yr. Idols).
OrthodoxEaster

Postby Bernardo on Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:43 pm

This is both a faithful version and sounds like it could be a regular Napalm Death track:

Bernardo

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap