Sonic Youth?

CRAP
15%
NOT CRAP
85%

Total votes : 309

Re: Band: Sonic Youth

Postby Anthony Flack on Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:23 pm

numberthirty wrote:If you put a set on(along with having the guitar set up accordingly) that consists of -

- Lowest Pair: Two Standard Set "A" Strings - They replace the standard "Low E"/"A" strings.
- Middle Pair: Two Standard Set "D" Strings - They replace the standard "D"/"G" strings.
- Highest Pair: Two Standard "G" Strings - They replace the standard "B'/"High E" strings.

... you can have a set that will almost be "Universal" for those tunings.

Then find somebody in a B-52s covers band to give all the leftover low Es and high Es and Bs to.
Anthony Flack
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Big John on Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:27 pm

Beatles 1967

Your photo is 1961 when the Beatles were trying to be cool by wearing black, sunglasses & leather. By 1967 they were comfortable with being cool and just wore their regular house frocks.
Big John
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby Anthony Flack on Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:48 pm

That doesn't really square with the VU inventing the same leather and sunglasses look a few years later in order to NOT be cool.

No way were the VU not trying to look cool. Nobody who stands around stoney-faced in black leather and sunglasses is not trying to look cool. They absolutely thought they were the coolest of the cool.
Anthony Flack
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Big John on Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:10 pm

You believe they are trying to be cool but perhaps they just are cool. Way cooler than you or I will ever be and that is just how it is.

The Beatles were singing about Octopuses Garden and VU and Lou Reed are doing songs about scoring drugs and hustling transsexuals.

I am sure that even dead that "Lou Reeds week beats my year".

Sonic Youth not looking so intimidatingly cool, you could discuss stain removal with them instead of contemporary art. Thurston looks like he wants to discuss the hard stuff like Oxy Clean to remove those deep stains. Lee looks like his shirts are in the dryer for a hours but they aren't getting dry.

Big John

Postby jbar on Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:02 pm

That's a spendy Reverb shop.
jbar
devil
devil

Postby LBx on Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:29 pm

Dibbs on the ukulele 8) .

Marsupialized wrote:Murray Street is the last good album, if you ask me.
I like Thousand Leaves, it's a mellow psychedelic record, yes, but it's a good one.

Aside: I've come full around on the mellow A Thousand Leaves and greatness of Murray Street. Not sure what sparked that exactly but I'm glad it happened. Odd how NYC Ghosts & Flowers is so awful sandwiched between the two. Hard pass on anything afterward...

*Might* even revisit the slack guitarer-ing of the SYR stuff.

NC.
LBx

Postby Zorg on Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:51 am

I'm tempted to pick apart the VU invented cool thing, but this is a Sonic Youth thread. Needless to say that if I had to pick between Heroin and Trepanning, I'm not sure which is cooler. Let's just say they both had their gurus and Lou's happened to be an immensely cool individual, who also understood the mechanisms and vacuous nature of fame and popularity.

Sonic Youth...I think once you reach 40, you have the right to do the whole "you had to be there" thing, and I wasn't even there until their popular period. In short, for me they were completely humanized representations of a world that was a wildly exciting New York world of music and art that was otherwise not well advertised. They dressed like normal people, they spoke plainly, weren't afraid to look silly, but they had access to esoterica that was really heavilly off the radar in that time, unless you were incredibly dedicated to pursuing it yourself. So it's not just that their band was good, but their sphere of influence was formidable. But they weren't just hangers on, they actually contributed and influenced to a lot of the music and multidisciplinary art that we enjoy on this forum, touching everything from experimental muisc, extreme metal, and even retro cratedigging of things as divergent as lame ironic tragedians The Carpenters and underground heros like Can. Today, most of this stuff is a couple of clicks away. Back then, it was really quite helpful to have it compiled by people with good taste who were willing to share openly. The stab at popularity was a little weird...but also in retrospect seemed like a natural piece of the strategy of the band. It didn't feel forced. Anyway, thumbs up from me.
Zorg
names vacuums with eyes closed

Postby skoz on Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:06 am

Zorg wrote:
Sonic Youth...I think once you reach 40, you have the right to do the whole "you had to be there" thing, and I wasn't even there until their popular period. In short, for me they were completely humanized representations of a world that was a wildly exciting New York world of music and art that was otherwise not well advertised. They dressed like normal people, they spoke plainly, weren't afraid to look silly, but they had access to esoterica that was really heavilly off the radar in that time, unless you were incredibly dedicated to pursuing it yourself.

This is totally right on and sums up my personal experience with Sonic Youth as a young person. Today listening to the Sonic Death record on my way to work as a 44 year old father of 2 I’m reminded of what an immense impact they had on me growing up. I can’t hang with much past thousand leaves and only really revisit the 80’s records with any regularity but the effect they had on me is hard to over estimate.
skoz
carl sagan
carl sagan

Postby Angus Jung on Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:15 am

Zorg wrote:Sonic Youth...I think once you reach 40, you have the right to do the whole "you had to be there" thing, and I wasn't even there until their popular period. In short, for me they were completely humanized representations of a world that was a wildly exciting New York world of music and art that was otherwise not well advertised. They dressed like normal people, they spoke plainly, weren't afraid to look silly, but they had access to esoterica that was really heavilly off the radar in that time, unless you were incredibly dedicated to pursuing it yourself. So it's not just that their band was good, but their sphere of influence was formidable. But they weren't just hangers on, they actually contributed and influenced to a lot of the music and multidisciplinary art that we enjoy on this forum, touching everything from experimental muisc, extreme metal, and even retro cratedigging of things as divergent as lame ironic tragedians The Carpenters and underground heros like Can. Today, most of this stuff is a couple of clicks away. Back then, it was really quite helpful to have it compiled by people with good taste who were willing to share openly. The stab at popularity was a little weird...but also in retrospect seemed like a natural piece of the strategy of the band. It didn't feel forced. Anyway, thumbs up from me.

This sums up Sonic Youth's importance beyond their own music very well.
Angus Jung
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Anthony Flack on Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:43 pm

It's very easy to forget what life was like before the internet now, even if you were there.
Anthony Flack
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Seby on Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:36 pm

Anthony Flack wrote:It's very easy to forget what life was like before the internet now, even if you were there.

Indeed!

Me reading a Mudhoney interview in Hot Metal Magazine circa '1990: "...Ron Ashton's guitar sound on the first Stooges record..."

And that is how I came to listen to the first Stooges record as a sixteen year old. I won't bother describing my reaction, or the amount of money I spent on fuzz boxes in my formative years, my point is simply this - pre-internet, if there was no one to tell you straight up, finding good music meant digging very deeply, hauling your arse from one side of the city to the other, listening to things in record stores, making sure not to miss weirdo radio shows, and a certain amount of good luck. Bear in mind that in Australia a lot of stuff simply did not get a local release so you had to order it in on import on a wing and a prayer and just hope that you actually liked it after you had paid the ungodly amount of money that it had cost you.

Sonic Youth gave a lot of props to other bands and artists and cultural nodes that I might not have heard of otherwise. So did a lot of others. Look at what Kurt Cobain did for Daniel Johnston with the act of a single t-shirt, or what Thurston Moore did for the Midget Stooges (*coughs*theyshouldsuecourtneybarnette*coughs*), or...can I say what Evan Dando did for Smudge? Hmmm...I wonder....
Seby
future member of don caballero
future member of don caballero

Postby four_oclocker_2 on Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:11 pm

Has anyone seen this Daydream Nation doc yet? Thinking about checking it out at the Music Box this weekend.
Jazz Titan/Ruthie Cohen

KJ/HM/MH/DB

"I'm not in the Kiss Army. But I am in the reserves, and could be called up at any time." - Warmowski
four_oclocker_2
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby eliya on Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:47 pm

four_oclocker_2 wrote:Has anyone seen this Daydream Nation doc yet? Thinking about checking it out at the Music Box this weekend.

I got tickets.
eliya
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby seanurban on Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:23 pm

at 8:30 lee discusses the 1999 gear theft and its impact on the band. first time i'd heard the whole story.
seanurban
King High

Postby Ike on Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:53 am

That Lee Ranaldo clip was delightful. He seems like a rad dude, through and through.

DEADHEADS RULE!
Ike
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt

Postby numberthirty on Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:59 am

One guy's take...

Even in this clip where they have been "Mainstream" for a while, everyone except Thurston(Heck, just Kim and Lee) are still too legit to quit. While I guess I can see it not fitting squarely into a person preconception, it is still really solid work.

154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Zorg on Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:04 am

Thurston was always the most star-fuckery, and image conscious of the gang, but also seemed like the catalyst of the whole thing and really into it, so most is forgiven. Another thing that I find still remarkable about SY is how they brought the avant-garde into the traditional Rock and Roll instrumentation. Perhaps Velvet Underground got there first, but they were still mucking about with keyboards and violas and things . SY was firmly committed to making the two guitar, bass, drums idea work. Also that they were really a very solid, practiced, and entertaining live act. Until I saw them myself, I sort of figured they would be really antagonistic, but quite the opposite, and they played their wacky musics with all the sincerity and passion deserving of their audience.
Zorg

Postby Bernardo on Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:03 pm

Zorg wrote:Perhaps Velvet Underground got there first, but they were still mucking about with keyboards and violas and things . SY was firmly committed to making the two guitar, bass, drums idea work.

I never really gave that any thought. It IS nice that they never went the cello / synth / string quartet / whatever bullshit route that someone like, say, Billy Corgan got to in like ten minutes. For my tastes they totally lost steam past their first ten years or so, but still.
Bernardo

Postby mrcancelled on Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:02 am

eliya wrote:
four_oclocker_2 wrote:Has anyone seen this Daydream Nation doc yet? Thinking about checking it out at the Music Box this weekend.

I got tickets.

Did you all end up going? Curious on your thoughts about it.
mrcancelled
princess di
princess di

Postby four_oclocker_2 on Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:04 am

mrcancelled wrote:
eliya wrote:

I got tickets.

Did you all end up going? Curious on your thoughts about it.

We did! It was enjoyable. The '88 live footage was cool and it was nice to see those Charles Atlas clips in there. The Bangs stuff they showed looked well-done, but all they screen from that was "Providence" and the Trilogy. Steve Shelley really needs to work on his mic technique during Q&A's.
Jazz Titan/Ruthie Cohen

KJ/HM/MH/DB

"I'm not in the Kiss Army. But I am in the reserves, and could be called up at any time." - Warmowski
four_oclocker_2

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap