Sonic Youth?

CRAP
15%
NOT CRAP
85%

Total votes : 309

Re: Band: Sonic Youth

Postby eliya on Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:25 am

I liked it more than I thought I would. The live stuff from 88 was cool, but I also could have done without any of the live footage. The documentary was pretty entertaining. A lot of it was tongue in cheek, but I felt like you still got an idea of what it was like "back then".

The Q&A was my favorite portion. I was worried it will be a real Q&A because the crowd always asks the worst questions, but it was just Thurston Moore and Steve Shelly talking to the SY archivist. I went in thinking that hearing Thurston pontificate would make me dislike him more, but it ended up having the exact opposite effect. It would have been cool if we could hear Kim's and Lee's retrospective on the record, but they probably have better things to do.
eliya
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby skoz on Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:27 pm

eliya wrote:It would have been cool if we could hear Kim's and Lee's retrospective on the record, but they probably have better things to do.

I think Lee was at the NY screening and Kim is doing LA. Just can’t have them all together at once.
skoz
carl sagan
carl sagan

Postby Verbs & Nouns on Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:56 am

Not crap.

Through SY I was exposed to a lot of great music. I still go back and listen to their entire catalogue as well.
Verbs & Nouns
grand
grand

Postby eliya on Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:33 pm

skoz wrote:
eliya wrote:It would have been cool if we could hear Kim's and Lee's retrospective on the record, but they probably have better things to do.

I think Lee was at the NY screening and Kim is doing LA. Just can’t have them all together at once.

I didn't know Kim and Lee were at other screenings. That's cool. I'd be interested in hearing their perspectives on that time.
eliya

Postby travis k on Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:51 pm

I found one of those cassette recorders for the blind that Lee has in that junk video. I turned it into a sculpture of some sort that I sold to some guy. I didn't realize it's unique abilities. Damn, I wish I kept it.
travis k
the white ho
the white ho

Postby mrcancelled on Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:19 am

mrcancelled wrote:Did you all end up going? Curious on your thoughts about it.

four_oclocker_2 wrote:We did! It was enjoyable. The '88 live footage was cool and it was nice to see those Charles Atlas clips in there. The Bangs stuff they showed looked well-done, but all they screen from that was "Providence" and the Trilogy. Steve Shelley really needs to work on his mic technique during Q&A's.

eliya wrote:I liked it more than I thought I would. The live stuff from 88 was cool, but I also could have done without any of the live footage. The documentary was pretty entertaining. A lot of it was tongue in cheek, but I felt like you still got an idea of what it was like "back then".

Yeah, I also didn't much care for the live footage at the end and I would've loved to hear more from Steve, but it was good. I think I saw Joe Carducci in the lobby.
mrcancelled
future member of the green party
future member of the green party

Postby Clyde on Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:21 am

hayate wrote:Seen them once. They didnt play any of their older songs. Which made me despise them a little bit, despite myself.

The last two times I saw them, both in 2010, they didn't play any new stuff. Nothing past Daydream Nation, IIRC
NewDarkAge wrote:Dialectics, mate. No easy answers.
Clyde
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby El Protoolio on Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:43 pm

When all their gear was stolen several years ago they lost the ability to play a lot of their old songs because certain guitars were crucial to certain songs because they could only be tuned the one way to play the one song or whatever. So that’s a possible explanation for not dipping back.
El Protoolio
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby emmanuelle cunt on Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:13 am

The gear theft happened in 1999 or 2000. I think they were always focused on playing the new material live which I don't think is a bad thing - I saw them in 2002 in Berlin, they played all the songs from 'Murray Street' plus some old ones and the gig was a killer, would it be that good if they had played 'the best of' setlist for 2450th time? I don't think so.
caix wrote:^ more like "a manual vagina."
emmanuelle cunt

Postby Verbs & Nouns on Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:30 am

Lee discusses the gear theft in that video posted and how it changed their sets.
Verbs & Nouns
grand
grand

Postby Big John on Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:17 am

Its always a hard revelation to find that your current stuff is no longer relevant and your fans want an Oldies act. But like Little Richard and Jerry Lee you have to give the audience what they want or even the second tier state fair shows start drying up.
Big John
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby jojobongo on Sat May 18, 2019 7:39 am

El Protoolio wrote:When all their gear was stolen several years ago they lost the ability to play a lot of their old songs because certain guitars were crucial to certain songs because they could only be tuned the one way to play the one song or whatever. So that’s a possible explanation for not dipping back.

Oh wow, I didn't know about that. Saw them in 2005, one of the best shows I've seen. Played a lot of stuff from Goo if I recall. Glad I got to see them before the shitstorm. Kim Gordon's book was heart breaking.
jojobongo
paul schaffer
paul schaffer

Postby four_oclocker_2 on Sat May 18, 2019 12:14 pm

I did see them twice on the last tour - once at the start, once towards the end.

Earlier show they played 11 songs from The Eternal and a few older ones thrown in (opened we "She Is Not Alone", I think?). By the end of the tour, they were pulling out stuff from EVOL and maybe only played 6-7 songs from The Eternal? Both shows were very enjoyable.
Jazz Titan/Ruthie Cohen

KJ/HM/MH/DB

"I'm not in the Kiss Army. But I am in the reserves, and could be called up at any time." - Warmowski
four_oclocker_2
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby eliya on Sat May 18, 2019 6:10 pm

Was it in the Lee video or when I saw Thurston Moore at the Music Box here in Chicago, but the story is that they always liked playing the new stuff live. Then once they were asked to play Daydream Nation, they learned all the parts and realized it's fun to play the old songs and started playing more old material at their shows.

I've never seen them play and that's a sore subject for me.
eliya

Postby M.H on Sun May 26, 2019 11:20 am

Still dig EVOL, never cracked Sister, can't deny Daydream Nation.
Geffin-era records are some major-label era R.E.M bandwagon-jumpin' shite. Painfully so until 1000 Leaves. Then they settled into their niche.
Mega waffles, but N.C. Just.
M.H
boutros boutros-ghali
boutros boutros-ghali

Postby skoz on Mon May 27, 2019 3:06 pm

M.H wrote:Still dig EVOL, never cracked Sister, can't deny Daydream Nation.
Geffin-era records are some major-label era R.E.M bandwagon-jumpin' shite. Painfully so until 1000 Leaves. Then they settled into their niche.
Mega waffles, but N.C. Just.

How/why does one listen the Sonic Youth discography between 1990-2009 enough to have a legit critical perspective and never manage to go back and listen to Sister?
skoz
carl sagan
carl sagan

Postby BobSimms on Tue May 28, 2019 11:14 am

M.H wrote:Still dig EVOL, never cracked Sister, can't deny Daydream Nation.
Geffin-era records are some major-label era R.E.M bandwagon-jumpin' shite. Painfully so until 1000 Leaves.

Oh my. I started listening to them circa Washing Machine and that is still my favorite. Nostalgia plays a large role in that (i was 16 or 17 then), and if it hadn’t been my first SY, I can imagine my favorite being Goo or Daydream or Sister or whatever everyone else loves as they’re more vaunted or written about, etc. That aside, there’s nothing about it that says “major label R.E.M. bandwagon” to me. That’s just bizarre.

I’m on a major SY kick at the moment, delving deeper than I ever have before, and while I definitely don’t love everything (especially their early stuff, sorry to say), I’m appreciating them more than ever. The blend of spooky, dissonant alternately-tuned guitars with occasional pop hooks and moments of conventional beauty is right where I’m at now. Just got the Corporate Ghost music video comp DVD and can’t wait to lose myself in it tonight.
BobSimms
comrade
comrade

Postby goatlord on Thu May 30, 2019 11:09 am

I've never been able to completely get into them. There is a sort of ironic/NY/too cool for school distance that just doesn't grab me. Even the weirdest records sound to me more like ways of getting into a scene than real, truely weird records. Maybe if I got over this prejudices I'd love them, but it's not happening.

That being said, I mean, Confussion Is Sex, Kill Yr Idols and Daydream Nation are great records, I can't say that they are a completely crap group, but I can't get into this band, and I almost never listen to them. Maybe because the base of the records is indie-power pop, and I don't particularly care for that genre!
YES YES YES YES RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD When in doubt, treat it as a record. Call your Records - Horse_ebooks
goatlord

Postby M.H on Thu May 30, 2019 6:17 pm

skoz wrote:How/why does one listen the Sonic Youth discography between 1990-2009 enough to have a legit critical perspective and never manage to go back and listen to Sister?

Have listened to Sister for 15 yrs + and it still sounds like the boring bits of Daydream Nation, just even more forgettable. Aside from the “I can’t get laid cuz everyone is dead” line. That's great.

Never ever got into that record, which is strange as I like the surrounding albums quite a bit. I listened to it front to back yesterday and can't recall a lick today; some weird mental block perhaps?
M.H
boutros boutros-ghali
boutros boutros-ghali

Postby LBx on Thu May 30, 2019 7:53 pm

Weird, I can't dig EVOL other than the book end tracks but Sister is likely my fav. Hard to say for sure. Sometimes it's A Thousand Leaves & Murray Street back-to-back cuz I can't help it... Anything past that, forget it...
LBx

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap