home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Band: Sonic Youth

Vote and debate.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Sonic Youth?

CRAP
47
15%
NOT CRAP
268
85%
 
Total votes : 315

Re: Band: Sonic Youth

Postby emmanuelle cunt on Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:17 pm

Oh the memories - here's a really good show from 2002, same year I saw them, with fantastic sound.
caix wrote:^ more like "a manual vagina."
User avatar
emmanuelle cunt
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
 
Posts: 7335
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:05 pm

Re: Band: Sonic Youth

Postby Seby on Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:18 am

Look look!

They have released recordings from their live archive, which is lovely:

https://sonicyouthlivearchive.bandcamp.com/
Seby
took picture of naked guy
took picture of naked guy
 
Posts: 1178
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:24 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Band: Sonic Youth

Postby fvckbikes on Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:37 am

Kim and Shelly are cool. Thurston moore is bad
fvckbikes
ward boss
ward boss
 
Posts: 94
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:45 am

Re: Band: Sonic Youth

Postby skoz on Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:14 pm

Seby wrote:Look look!

They have released recordings from their live archive, which is lovely:

https://sonicyouthlivearchive.bandcamp.com/


This is great! This should have happened a long time ago!
User avatar
skoz
tired of birds
tired of birds
 
Posts: 1123
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:15 pm

Re: Band: Sonic Youth

Postby rappard on Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:57 am

skoz wrote:
Seby wrote:Look look!

They have released recordings from their live archive, which is lovely:

https://sonicyouthlivearchive.bandcamp.com/


This is great! This should have happened a long time ago!

Pernickety: they already did, see link below. Note that
1) the stores overlap for some shows and
2) only nugs.net offers bitrates higher than 16/44.

http://nugs.net/sonic-youth-concerts-li ... streaming/
Robert Bork wrote:[S]ome of the worst rappers are white, like Nine Inch Nails.
User avatar
rappard
World War 11 Veteran
World War 11 Veteran
 
Posts: 1597
Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:33 am
Location: Dutchland

Re: Band: Sonic Youth

Postby mattw on Wed May 06, 2020 8:58 am

I've been listening to a huge chunk of their catalog lately; haven't even got through the live stuff or SYR releases (although the ones I've heard so far are kinda eh).

As a little project, been trying to figure out a number of the songs on guitar (acoustic), which presents its own set of challenges. Usually requires restringing it to an AAADEB or AADDEE. Some of their tunings, you can just capo and tune down or don't even need to capo it.

Been focusing more on the 90s stuff. Goo and Dirty I like about the same...acceptable mix of good vs. throwaway trax. Experimental Jetset is really not too hot...I like about three songs on there, if I'm generous. Washing Machine and A Thousand Leaves are fairly underrated, in my opinion...there's some real nowhere/doo-doo stuff on both, but then they both have some of my favorite SY songs ("Becuz," "Unwind," "Diamond Sea"- especially the extended version, "Sunday," "Hoarfrost," and "Hits of Sunshine").
User avatar
mattw
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents
 
Posts: 3967
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 12:28 pm
Location: Carolina of the North

Re: Band: Sonic Youth

Postby 1009 on Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:23 pm

rappard wrote:
skoz wrote:
Seby wrote:Look look!

They have released recordings from their live archive, which is lovely:

https://sonicyouthlivearchive.bandcamp.com/


This is great! This should have happened a long time ago!

Pernickety: they already did, see link below. Note that
1) the stores overlap for some shows and
2) only nugs.net offers bitrates higher than 16/44.

http://nugs.net/sonic-youth-concerts-li ... streaming/


Listening to the Irvine 1990 set (downloaded from the Bandcamp in ALAC). Really fucking enjoyable if you dig the band. Looking forward to the 1998 LA set, which actually features them playing some of the stuff off the SYR sets. As the link notes, that 97-98 period was really weird, even (especially) for them. All of the songs came about through long-form improvisation, and none of the songs remained in live rotation. (I'm guessing the approbation NYC Ghosts received had something to do with leaving this stuff behind, but I could be wrong.)

This period coincided, for me, with the time I left the town where I'd been raised (a suburb of Rochester, NY) and moved to Boston (BU) for undergrad. Internet was really rationed, and I didn't have friends who were into this kind of thing, so SY had this air of mystery about them, a mystery only heightened by discovering the SYR series of EPs at Tower Records on Newbury (RIP). I remember thinking long and hard about whether I should spend my (really scant) money on SYR 1, a CD whose songs and credits I couldn't even read.

Of course, I gave into the temptation and bought that EP, and (probably thanks to a random exposure to Miles Davis' Bitches Brew a few years earlier) fell in love with it. To this day SYR1 is probably my favorite recording of the band.

Anyway, curious to hear other people's evaluations of these live dates. I'll never be able to hear them outside of my idiosyncratic introduction to them, but I'm grateful for other perspectives.
Prime numbers and tonal clusters with Radiant Republic.

Bass in the Heavy Bombers We're on the PRF Singles Comp Q1.

Sax with Begin By Gathering Supplies.

Terrible News.
User avatar
1009
Supreme Commander at the Forefront
Supreme Commander at the Forefront
 
Posts: 1953
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:35 pm
Location: Ville d'Swedes

Re: Band: Sonic Youth

Postby El Protoolio on Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:18 pm

I’ve listened to Murray Street several times over the last few weeks. It is really good. Whoever upthread was praising it was right. Rain On Tin almost sounds like a very heavy Television song. I finally get the sonic connections between those two bands. It always baffled me. Television always sounded more like Talking Heads to me.

NYC G&F is still my favorite late period record though.
User avatar
El Protoolio
Present-day God
Present-day God
 
Posts: 9775
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2003 11:18 am
Location: kerble’s mom

Re: Band: Sonic Youth

Postby 1009 on Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:25 pm

El Protoolio wrote:I’ve listened to Murray Street several times over the last few weeks. It is really good. Whoever upthread was praising it was right. Rain On Tin almost sounds like a very heavy Television song. I finally get the sonic connections between those two bands. It always baffled me. Television always sounded more like Talking Heads to me.

NYC G&F is still my favorite late period record though.


Apparently Rain on Tin had been banging around for a while. The Bandcamp has a weird set from 2000 that features an acoustic version.
Prime numbers and tonal clusters with Radiant Republic.

Bass in the Heavy Bombers We're on the PRF Singles Comp Q1.

Sax with Begin By Gathering Supplies.

Terrible News.
User avatar
1009
Supreme Commander at the Forefront
Supreme Commander at the Forefront
 
Posts: 1953
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:35 pm
Location: Ville d'Swedes

Re: Band: Sonic Youth

Postby DregsInTheCrowd on Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:50 pm

El Protoolio wrote:I’ve listened to Murray Street several times over the last few weeks. It is really good.


Oofa doofa....Murray Street came out when I was graduating from high school.

Murray Street is old enough to graduate from high school.

O_O
My name is Mike, and I play music in Stripper Deville.
User avatar
DregsInTheCrowd
penguinologist
penguinologist
 
Posts: 1811
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:14 am
Location: Chicago

Re: Band: Sonic Youth

Postby the letter o on Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:54 pm

Not sure if anyone else remembers this, but The South Bank Show (long-running arts show that ran on ITV here in the UK) aired a documentary episode back in early '89, which was pretty much 50:50 split between John Zorn and Sonic Youth. It was a NYC special called Put Blood In The Music, and the SY section (the second half) was pretty heavy on stuff from the then recently-released Daydream Nation. A few days back, my wife and I were (drunkenly) reminiscing about memorable music videos/docs/specials from our youth, and it came roaring back to me all over again. I remembered it vividly, having recorded and (re)played the resulting VHS to destruction long long ago. A few seconds on youtube, and hey hey, there it is in full.



My sixteen year old mind was irretrievably blown at the time. Still my favorite SY period.
Look at that! A perfectly square bit of black dirt on the window!
User avatar
the letter o
baron munchausen
baron munchausen
 
Posts: 630
Joined: Tue May 13, 2008 7:54 am
Location: The East, UK

Re: Band: Sonic Youth

Postby Seby on Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:02 pm

^ Hey thanks FM tlo! I had never heard of this until now. Tonight is sorted : )
Seby
took picture of naked guy
took picture of naked guy
 
Posts: 1178
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:24 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Band: Sonic Youth

Postby A_Man_Who_Tries on Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:40 am

the letter o wrote:Not sure if anyone else remembers this, but The South Bank Show (long-running arts show that ran on ITV here in the UK) aired a documentary episode back in early '89, which was pretty much 50:50 split between John Zorn and Sonic Youth. It was a NYC special called Put Blood In The Music, and the SY section (the second half) was pretty heavy on stuff from the then recently-released Daydream Nation. A few days back, my wife and I were (drunkenly) reminiscing about memorable music videos/docs/specials from our youth, and it came roaring back to me all over again. I remembered it vividly, having recorded and (re)played the resulting VHS to destruction long long ago. A few seconds on youtube, and hey hey, there it is in full.



My sixteen year old mind was irretrievably blown at the time. Still my favorite SY period.


Still can't see TSBS intro without feeling it's back to school tomorrow.
maintain a healthy foe list
User avatar
A_Man_Who_Tries
Supreme Commander at the Forefront
Supreme Commander at the Forefront
 
Posts: 1981
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:08 pm

Re: Band: Sonic Youth

Postby El Protoolio on Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:59 pm

I’ve really been going through and over their post Goo catalog and I have to say I really really like The Eternal. It rocks.
User avatar
El Protoolio
Present-day God
Present-day God
 
Posts: 9775
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2003 11:18 am
Location: kerble’s mom

Re: Band: Sonic Youth

Postby LBx on Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:16 pm

Definitive Hold That Tiger version thank you Lee!

NC.
User avatar
LBx
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
 
Posts: 4411
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:31 am
Location: Quebexico

Re: Band: Sonic Youth

Postby Cactus on Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:44 pm

mattw wrote:I've been listening to a huge chunk of their catalog lately; haven't even got through the live stuff or SYR releases (although the ones I've heard so far are kinda eh).

As a little project, been trying to figure out a number of the songs on guitar (acoustic), which presents its own set of challenges. Usually requires restringing it to an AAADEB or AADDEE. Some of their tunings, you can just capo and tune down or don't even need to capo it.

Been focusing more on the 90s stuff. Goo and Dirty I like about the same...acceptable mix of good vs. throwaway trax. Experimental Jetset is really not too hot...I like about three songs on there, if I'm generous. Washing Machine and A Thousand Leaves are fairly underrated, in my opinion...there's some real nowhere/doo-doo stuff on both, but then they both have some of my favorite SY songs ("Becuz," "Unwind," "Diamond Sea"- especially the extended version, "Sunday," "Hoarfrost," and "Hits of Sunshine").

There's this guy https://www.youtube.com/user/nvanliforp/videos
User avatar
Cactus
total piece of shit
total piece of shit
 
Posts: 140
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:44 pm
Location: Balkans

Previous

Return to Crap / Not Crap

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 154, Majestic-12 [Bot] and 30 guests