Not Metal
33%
Metal
67%

Total votes : 6

Sub-Genre - Graphic Designer Metal

Postby Gramsci on Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:07 am

Otherwise known as Post-Metal.

Isis, Pelican, Spotlights,Russian Circles, Jesu, Neurosis (maybe) etc...

Basically Mogwai with Black Sabbath riffs...
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.
Gramsci
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Re: Sub-Genre - Graphic Designer Metal

Postby 154 on Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:58 am

Delay pedal metal. I like most of those bands' first albums/demos but this 'genre' turned to CRAP real fast. Way to take all the fun and personality out of heavy music.

Not counting Neurosis or even Isis really.
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby M.H on Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:08 pm

Gramsci wrote: Neurosis (maybe).

No way, they were a whole decade ahead of the rest of your list. Maybe you could argue that A Sun That Never Sets and The Eye of Every Storm are in that ballpark, but they've moved on since then, unlike their followers.

I'd say Sunn O))) and Southern Lord's aesthetic were closer to home.

I think lots of heavy, aggressive rock bands have really struggled to successfully incorporate a melodic edge into their music since the late 90s. Using musical dynamics (crescendos, electronic textures, tonal exploration etc etc) as a substitute was an interesting idea. But it was all so tasteful and consciously 'arty' and 'clever'. Blurgh.

Even though I don't mind these bands, I can only recall the formula, not individual songs. And aside from Neurosis, I was always underwhelmed by this music in a live setting: I'd go as far to say that most of these bands flat-out sucked when I saw them perform.

I don't really care whether it's metal, but it is more crap than not.
M.H
boutros boutros-ghali
boutros boutros-ghali

Postby jbar on Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:02 pm

I really liked spotlights opening for Melvins. All those other bands (besides Neurosis and some Jesu) are pretty lackluster
jbar
devil
devil

Postby goatlord on Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:46 am

I dig people trying to take anything and question why it should be one way or the other, be it metal or whatever. Why should it be macho? Why should it be short, long, slow or fast? Why blast beats? Why etc, etc, etc...?

Sadly, most of the time people don't really act questioning and merely copy what immediately precede them, turning everything into a set of clichés. And nothing is more cliched and lacking of energy than obviously intellectualized/arty metal, you can guess how a song is going to go in graphic designer metal more than in your normal power-metal band. As sturgeon's law says, 90% of everything is shitty.

I preffer what Harvey Milk did. They understood the questioning, but decided to go on a hunting trip into everything, from orchestal to hardcore to the Swans, in order to do something that was uniquely theirs. Most bands wont do that. I don't even know if I ever had a metal band I'd do that! But yeah, Harvey Milk or Portal are like milestones of this kind of stuff. It's not easy, but I think it's worth it.

Also, some people don't understand the functionality and the geniality of the clichés, when they appear, and WHY those appeared, and questioning without understanding is not an useful tool, I think. It can be, but it can bite your ass. I think that Fenriz and Darkthrone are an example of how understanding why you do what you do is important.
YES YES YES YES RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD When in doubt, treat it as a record. Call your Records - Horse_ebooks
goatlord
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby Justin Foley on Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:34 am

Pejorative name aside, it seems like you're talking about a crop of largely instrumental bands that were bubbling up between 2000-10.

When Isis put out their first stuff, they were broadly seen as really weird - a band that seemed deliberate about their presentation but nearly totally divorced from the "typical" touchpoints of heavy music (all black, cartoon/macabre imagery). I guess that focus on presentation is the graphic design part of your name.

I think that influence was really welcome. It opened a lot of people's eyes to the creative possibilities of heavy music - note that this was also around the time people were waking up to black metal, the fusion of hardcore/metal and djent. (Folk-metal, too, but let's skip that.) 15 years or so later and saying "I'm in a metal band" doesn't lock one into expectations of wanting to be Metallica.

The results are varied, of course. Isis, Pelican, Russian Circles, Tides and Kowloon Walled City have each put out records that I really enjoy listening to. I've also seen each of those bands and been immersed in honestly great musical performances, much more fun than the genre's critics assume would be the case. There are other bands - Spolights, Rosetta, Cult of Luna, The Ocean - that don't interest me. I ascribe that to the music they actually make, rather than where they'd be filed in a record store's shelves.

The only broad disappointment I have with post-metal is that it didn't really open up doors of who was making the music. While the post-metal's presentation was a deliberate turn from metal's traditional celebration of hyper-masculinity, most of the people who made it/make it are still dudes in bands. I don't fault any of them individually, I just wish there were more women making music in these bands.

= Justin
Justin Foley

Postby tallchris on Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:43 pm

Justin Foley wrote:I just wish there were more women making music in these bands.

At least OP didn't use the horrible term "girlfriend metal" to describe these bands.
Bass, minivan: [BRACKETS]
Guitar, vocals: BURN PERMITS
Bass, vocals: POLICE TEETH
tallchris

Postby Bernardo on Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:46 pm

Justin Foley wrote:a band that seemed deliberate about their presentation but nearly totally divorced from the "typical" touchpoints of heavy music (all black, cartoon/macabre imagery). I guess that focus on presentation is the graphic design part of your name.

That was definitely not new at the time. Helmet used to be a popular example of the same thing.

I vote "crap". I also would not include Neurosis, that's kinda like using Black Sabbath to weigh in about the merits of stoner rock.
Bernardo
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby numberthirty on Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:57 pm

Not "Crap" or "Not Crap". It's like anything else. It's not a genre that is bad or good based on that it is a genre.

There were good bands and bands that weren't so good.
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Madman Munt on Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:56 pm

There are some Graphic Designer Metal records I have enjoyed, but apart from one great show by ISIS (w/ Austerity Prog., incidentally), live they were all bo-ring.

The "typical" touchy-pants hyper-masculinity metal bands have the Graphic Designers beat on that front.

tallchris wrote:the horrible term "girlfriend metal"

I'm not sure what this is? Guns N' Roses, AC/DC?

I can tell you it ain't Kyuss, 'cos girlfriends used to laugh at me if I had Kyuss playing on the car stereo when I picked them up.

Strangely, the most girlfriends I have see at a somewhat-metal-related show was fuckin' PRIMUS, believe it or not. Full to the brim with girlfriends! Girlfriends in the pit, girlfriends getting drunk all over. I must be the slap bass that drives them crazy!
Madman Munt
amir vahedi
amir vahedi

Postby kokorodoko on Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:15 am

A band or a group of bands does something out of the ordinary, music journalists scramble for reference points to put a name on this new thing they are hearing and eventually a "genre" is created, other bands like the first bands and want to play the same music, people talk about all those bands using the same terminology made up by the music journalists until it solidifies and then all of a sudden everyone is playing "Post-metal" and everything is ordinary again.

I actually got into metal through bands like Neurosis and Isis, by way of industrial music. I had an indie/brit/twee-pop friend who did the same. Graphic Designer Metal can be enjoyable, but as stated in the first paragraph, when something has taken form as a "scene" or a "genre" in the collective mind, it inevitably also forms a part of musicians' self-conception and threatens to move into genericness.
Boombats wrote:I keep thinking of smarter shit to say about him [Jordan Peterson], but my gut reaction is "this nigga gay"
kokorodoko
mal evans
mal evans

Postby Boombats on Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:18 am

Madman Munt wrote:

I'm not sure what this is?

Baroness
Escape Rope / Blxck Onion / Black Mesa
warmowski wrote:Fire back, absolutely, always and forever no matter how much it blows Andy's mind.
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby El Protoolio on Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:39 am

I know for a fact that the guys in Isis would prefer to be categorized as “pot metal”.
El Protoolio
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby M.H on Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:00 pm

Justin Foley wrote:The only broad disappointment I have with post-metal is that it didn't really open up doors of who was making the music. While the post-metal's presentation was a deliberate turn from metal's traditional celebration of hyper-masculinity, most of the people who made it/make it are still dudes in bands. I don't fault any of them individually, I just wish there were more women making music in these bands.

Kinda disagree with this.

I know this music isn't Pantera / Nugent style chest beating masculine-metal, but the ponderous / epic / atmospheric vibe of post-metal is total boys' club territory, not unlike 70s prog-rock. That geeky shit is always vagina repellent.

I've stopped going to shows over the last 2 years, but in the 10 years before that, the London scene that seemed to draw increasing amounts of female involvement was the stoner rock shows. Lots of girls dressed up in biker-chick stuff, leather tassels and Sleep patches everywhere, lots of drugs, lots of good vibes.

While the audience for the Isis and Jesu shows I saw was 98% dudes under 25, mostly wearing the big plastic Raybans, jumpers and beards uniform. No social skills, no fun allowed: and thus, consequently, no women present.
M.H
boutros boutros-ghali
boutros boutros-ghali

Postby Anthony Flack on Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:45 pm

Last Shellac show I attended was dude-o-rama too. I was there with three women which was like half of all the women, so dudes keep on coming over to introduce themselves.
Anthony Flack
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Madman Munt on Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:17 pm

Boombats wrote:
Madman Munt wrote:

Baroness

Just listened to this band. Urgh. Post-It® Metal?
Madman Munt
amir vahedi
amir vahedi

Postby Cactus on Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:33 pm

Boombats wrote:
Madman Munt wrote:

Baroness

If there is a graphic designer metal, it's this band
phpBB [media]
Cactus
district attourney
district attourney

Postby MRoyce on Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:06 am

Madman Munt wrote:
Boombats wrote:
Madman Munt wrote:

Baroness

Just listened to this band. Urgh. Post-It® Metal?

They could really ride a riff on the first two albums:
phpBB [media]

"Girlfriend Metal" and the whole "only men like the real stuff"-attitude can go die in a fire, as far as I'm concerned.
MRoyce
robert motherwell
robert motherwell

Postby Adam Sr on Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:03 am

Graphic designer metal?

phpBB [media]

https://deathwishinc.com
Adam Sr
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby projectMalamute on Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:12 pm

Jake's graphic design is the best thing he brings to Converge. I'd probably prefer that band with no vocals at all.

New album is bitchin' by the way.
youtube
web site

Endeavor to persevere.
projectMalamute
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Next

Return to Crap / Not Crap