Elizabeth Warren

Not crap
63%
Crap
37%

Total votes : 49

Re: 2020 Trump Opponent: Elizabeth Warren

Postby Andrew. on Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:38 am

Warren is calling for the end of the filibuster and is I think the first and only candidate to do so. I think it was Matt Christman (Chapo) who was recently exasperated by Bernie's refusal to go in this direction. So Warren continues to make meaningful interventions, even if she is reportedly polling third among primary voters in her own state and she's already burned through most of her middling first quarter fundraising.
Andrew.
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Wood Goblin on Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:44 am

I believe Bernie has backed off a bit re: the filibuster, but his prior belief that he could get his progressive agenda through the Senate with the filibuster intact veered dangerously close to “only I can protect you” territory. It’s shameful, but there aren’t even 50 Senate Democratic votes for Medicare for All, and there are ZERO Republican ones.
Wood Goblin
Guardian Diety of the Planet

Postby Angus Jung on Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:19 am

Angus Jung
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Andrew. on Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:33 am

Angus Jung wrote:https://www.google.com/amp/s/slate.com/business/2019/04/bernie-sanders-promises-filibuster-medicare-for-all-reconciliation.amp

Thx.
Andrew.
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Wood Goblin on Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:39 am

Would attempts to force the thing through via reconciliation survive the Roberts SCOTUS? Color me doubtful.

Warren really does have a better grasp of policy than Sanders. The article’s remarks about “VP Warren” are condescending. Why shouldn’t she be on the top of the ticket? Why should she give up a Senate seat to become a ribbon-cutter?
Wood Goblin

Postby Andrew. on Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:44 am

Wood Goblin wrote:Would attempts to force the thing through via reconciliation survive the Roberts SCOTUS? Color me doubtful.

Warren really does have a better grasp of policy than Sanders. The article’s remarks about “VP Warren” are condescending. Why shouldn’t she be on the top of the ticket? Why should she give up a Senate seat to become a ribbon-cutter?

No idea on the first point. Warren wouldn't make sense as VP since she's a leading policy reformer not a ribbon-cutter, like you say, but as to being on the top of the ticket, that's up to her and her supporters to make happen and at this stage she's polling third in her own state.
Andrew.
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Wood Goblin on Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:54 am

All that is true, especially regarding supporters. She’s not getting any help in the press, of course. None of the women are. They’re evidently not as smart, as interesting, as capable of leadership, or as full of potential as, um, Beto O’Rourke or Joe Biden.
Wood Goblin

Postby Angus Jung on Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:19 pm

Wood Goblin wrote:...She’s not getting any help in the press, of course. None of the women are. They’re evidently not as smart, as interesting, as capable of leadership, or as full of potential as, um, Beto O’Rourke or Joe Biden.

Yep.

The media seemingly deciding Warren isn't "charismatic enough" is totally sexist and lame. And Warren IMO is getting it worse than the other women candidates.
Angus Jung
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby PEPPER! on Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:33 pm

interesting article from Politico today about Warren . . . it portrays her as a longtime conservative (at least in the fiscal sense) who was initially very reluctant to participate in politics. in the 80s and 90s she reviewed a lot of bankruptcy cases, and what she saw was apparently the catalyst for her change in perspective.
PEPPER!
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby warmowski on Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:59 am

Here's reason #1 she's my solid #2. She did something I've not seen done from a Senate seat, like ever. Few noticed, so it's extra-worth talking about.

The DC policy universe is lousy with pro-corporate think tanks who crank out horseshit "research" that predictably comes to the same conclusion every time: the solution [to literally every problem] is less government regulation of industry.

In the case of the financial industry, the think tanks are very generously funded and staffed with dozens of scholars who hold Ph.D.s in Getpaidology.

One of these scumbags, a former top official in the Clinton administration named Bob Litan, in the employ of a right/center-right think tank called Brookings, dropped by the Senate floor about four years ago during hearings about new regulations proposed to stem the tide of Wall Street's legal, normalized looting of 401(k) accountholders.

Litan had done "research" whose results served to oppose Congress's regulatory idea. Congress wanted to force brokers who gave financial advice to their retirement investment clients to disclose the financial ties such brokers had with the places and products such brokers referred their clients to.

Litan did his job, and went to the hearing before Sen. Warren to valiantly defend the rights of securities brokers to hide their motives in the dark and thereby fleece workers and retirees by giving advice resulting in huge fees / participation in unrevealed commissions / crappy returns.

Someone dropped a dime to Liz: it turned out that Litan's study had not been the work of Bob Litan, independent scholar. It turned out instead that the Capital Group, a giant mutual fund manager, had in fact partially authored the study, that Litan was paid by them to do this study, and that Litan had not disclosed this to the Senate. That's right: a scholar who carried water for the idea that disclosure to clients was a bad thing, turned out, what a shock, to not be a big fan of disclosure of conflicts of interest inherent in his own research.

So Liz reached out with a four-page letter to Brookings that forced him to leave his post. She literally reached out and flicked him off a four-decade gravy train and the letter text is pretty good, if you can find it. I can't now.

Litan's chastisement was a temporary state of affairs, of course. Fellow Democratic Getpaidologists, unwilling to be subject to sunshine as they worked in the dark to harvest the American people lodged complaints, Bob was later quietly reinstated to Brookings and is today on Twitter advocating the election of Joe "Credit Cards" Biden.

But she did this thing! It's an example and should be followed.

-r
warmowski
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby Get dog costumes on Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:00 pm

Rob, do you remember how you first became aware of that? I think I enjoyed reading it in part because you wrote like my brother (who is not Jonathan Chait, but who would also be unlikely to write "scumbags" for a general audience).
cneutron wrote:I (correctly) pointed out
Get dog costumes
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby rayword45 on Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:07 pm

I fucking adore this woman. I met her as part of a political high school job and she came off as SUPER genuine, and I canvassed for her 2017 Senate run around the Amherst area. Sadly, I still say Bernie is my most likely primary vote as of right now, because, as mentioned before, there's too much fucking institutionalized sexism in this country, and if recent events have taught me anything it's that the right-wing propaganda machine will fucking nuke her.

The sad part? Looking at the policy records, I legitimately believe that Warren would indeed make the BEST president out of all the people currently running. I don't think she can win because this country is fucking ass-backward.

Super, super easy NOT CRAP though.
rayword45
andy warhol
andy warhol

Postby rayword45 on Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:21 pm

I do wanna say should the NPV take effect, I'd have much, MUCH higher faith in a Trump vs. Warren election.
rayword45
andy warhol
andy warhol

Postby andteater on Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:46 am

rayword45 wrote:I do wanna say should the NPV take effect, I'd have much, MUCH higher faith in a Trump vs. Warren election.

NPV? what does that mean?
andteater

Postby jimmy spako on Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:11 am

National popular vote movement:

https://www.nationalpopularvote.com/
Isabelle Gall wrote:'Do not go smoothly into that dark night'
jimmy spako
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby andteater on Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:14 am

jimmy spako wrote:National popular vote movement:

https://www.nationalpopularvote.com/

ahh. thanks.
andteater

Postby Angus Jung on Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:26 pm

Angus Jung wrote:
Wood Goblin wrote:...She’s not getting any help in the press, of course. None of the women are. They’re evidently not as smart, as interesting, as capable of leadership, or as full of potential as, um, Beto O’Rourke or Joe Biden.

Yep.

The media seemingly deciding Warren isn't "charismatic enough" is totally sexist and lame. And Warren IMO is getting it worse than the other women candidates.

I Can't Believe Elizabeth Warren is Losing to These Guys

Good, fair, respectful article by Doug Henwood, whose politics are to the left of Warren's.
Angus Jung
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Ike on Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:47 pm

That was an excellent piece. Thanks for posting that.
Ike
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt

Postby total_douche on Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:32 pm

Still, she deserves much better than she’s getting. She should certainly be getting more pixels than that twit Beto.

That made me giggle. As far as the centrists or moderates go, I think I like her a lot more than all the other ones.
Last edited by total_douche on Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
total_douche
names vacuums with eyes closed
names vacuums with eyes closed

Postby warmowski on Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:29 pm

Great Henwood piece.

fmgdc wrote:Rob, do you remember how you first became aware of that?

I don't! I recall reading her letter text months after the thing happened and proceeding from there, but I really don't remember why I opened the PDF.

-r
warmowski

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap