Daddy Bernie

Not Crap
83%
Crap
17%

Total votes : 72

Re: C/NC: Bernie Sanders 2020 Presidential Bid

Postby El Protoolio on Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:27 pm

I wasn’t that concerned about his age as he seems to have his mental capacities in tact, but then he had that heart attack and it reminded me that the average life expectancy for a white male in the US of his generation is 78 years old. It also reminded me that my Dad died this year from a heart attack at 77. So the threat of his health is very real to me and it’s more likely he’d die in office than not. His health problems could lead to a sudden mental decline as well. At 78 you’re just rolling the dice.

So yeah I’ll still vote for him if he’s the candidate but let’s be real about his age and hopeful he picks a good VP candidate.
El Protoolio
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby llllllllllllllllllllllll on Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:45 am

llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

dvockins wrote:Gold hardware means you are number one.
llllllllllllllllllllllll
Guardian Diety of the Planet

Postby askii on Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:57 pm

I don't think the topic of age is totally off-limits, but Michael Moore had the best response to this yet at the all-star AOC endorsement rally in Queens.

"They say, 'Bernie's too old.' Yeah? Well, here's what's too old: the Electoral College is too old! A $7.25 minimum wage, that's too old! [etc.]"

and

"A 78-year-old has seen things most of us have never seen, like a raise! A 78-year-old knows what a pension is! What regulations are! [etc.]"

Not gonna lie, I shed actual tears more than once while watching this.

The old duffer's walk-on music? No spoilers, but: FUCKING AWESOME.

askii
strongbad
strongbad

Postby Andrew. on Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:14 pm

Apparently coverage of that rally was on like page 27 of the NYT? Is that true?

Imagine if Warren had gotten the endorsement from AOC, endorsement by the rest of the squad, and held a 26,000-person rally in Queens featuring a deeply heartfelt and personal endorsement from AOC, all in one weekend. I doubt the NYT would've buried it.

The Chapo crew discusses this w Matt Karp in the latest episode noting that it's simple erasure, not lies, that media (including basically all "liberal" media) uses most effectively against old Bernard.

Worth quoting Saint Bernie's closing lines from his speech at the rally. This is a different way of doing politics in America:

I want you all to look around and find someone you don’t know. Maybe somebody who doesn’t look kind of like you, maybe somebody who may be of a different religion than you, maybe they come from a different country.

My question now to you is are you willing to fight for that person who you don’t even know as much as you’re willing to fight for yourself?

Are you willing to stand together and fight for those people who are struggling economically in this country? Are you willing to fight for young people drowning in student debt even if you’re not? Are you willing to fight to ensure that every American has health care even if you have good health care? Are you willing to fight for frightened immigrant neighbors even if you are native born? Are you willing to fight for a future for generations of people that have not even been born but are entitled to live on a planet that is healthy and habitable?

Because if you are willing to do that, if you are willing to love, if you are willing to fight for a government of compassion and justice and decency, if you are willing to stand up to Trump’s desire to divide us up, if you are prepared to stand up to the greed and corruption of the corporate elite, if you and millions of others are prepared to do that, then there is no doubt in my mind not that only we will win this election but together we will transform this country.
Andrew.
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Me Again on Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:38 pm

The mainstream news either didn't report on it, or heavily downplayed it, because they've already made up their minds Bernie won't be/can't be POTUS. It's as simple as that.
...with Euro-Sprockets coming at you from every direction.
Me Again
"kick a ginger day" victim

Postby Get dog costumes on Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:24 pm

Andrew. wrote:Apparently coverage of that rally was on like page 27 of the NYT? Is that true?

That's where it ought to be. It was a deeply problematic rally

New York Today
Backlash Against Bernie Sanders and Ocasio-Cortez in Queens
By Azi Paybarah

Oct. 23, 2019
Credit...Brittainy Newman/The New York Times

The crowd in Queens on Saturday was large and enthusiastic, packed into a park across the street from the nation’s largest public housing project to watch as Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez endorsed Bernie Sanders for president.

In his remarks, Mr. Sanders called for investment in public housing, and Ms. Ocasio-Cortez and the documentary filmmaker Michael Moore echoed his progressive agenda.

But in the days since, the rally has sparked an unexpected backlash from some public housing leaders, who said the Sanders campaign did little to include in the event the roughly 6,000 residents of Queensbridge Houses, the housing project across the street from where the rally was held.

The Sanders team pushed back. Mike Casca, a spokesman for the campaign, told The Times that it reached out to the Queensbridge Tenant Association president days before the rally, and that it provided fliers for distribution among the development’s mostly black and Hispanic residents.

Still, the reactions further exposed the race and class tensions in this gentrifying slice of Queens.

“These people were coming from near, far — but they weren’t from Queensbridge,” the tenant association president, April Simpson, told a reporter for Patch. “That rally wasn’t for us.”

Ms. Simpson, who did not respond to requests from The Times for comment, told Patch that the Sanders campaign reached out only on Friday, and that the time of the rally conflicted with a tenants association meeting.

At the event, Mr. Sanders called it “absolutely unacceptable that the largest public housing development in North America, right across the street from us, lacks decent heat and hot water and is in urgent need of repair.”

Ray Normandeau, who has lived in Queensbridge Houses since 1973, said he and his wife attended the event. By his estimation, a few hundred of his neighbors were there.

He said the website he runs about Queensbridge featured information about the rally about a week before it occurred.

To live in Queensbridge Houses and not know about the rally, Mr. Normandeau said, “sounds specious.” He added: “Obviously, if 25,000 people showed up, it wasn’t kept a secret.”

Bishop Mitchell Taylor, a community leader, said the people in the park looked “like tourists.” In the Patch article, he called the event “a pretty white rally.”

Corbin Trent, a spokesman for Ms. Ocasio-Cortez’s 2020 campaign, said he was proud of the Sanders team’s outreach effort. “I was also very proud to see public housing highlighted in both of their comments and their legislative agendas,” he said.

The Patch reporter, Maya Kaufman, wrote on Twitter that the Sanders campaign said it called to schedule a meeting between Mr. Sanders and Queensbridge leaders, but that Ms. Simpson said that wasn’t true.

Want more news? Check out our full coverage.
cneutron wrote:I (correctly) pointed out
Get dog costumes
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby Wood Goblin on Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:16 am

I don’t know where the story on the endorsement/rally appeared in print, but it was prominent on the website for both the NYT and Bloomberg. It wasn’t “buried” at all. It got more coverage than any other endorsement thus far!
Wood Goblin

Postby Andrew. on Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:00 am

Get dog costumes wrote:
Andrew. wrote:Apparently coverage of that rally was on like page 27 of the NYT? Is that true?

Do you think there's a campaign that's more invested in the struggles of racialized low-income people than Bernie's? Because if not, it looks like you're concern-trolling.
Andrew.
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Boombats on Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:33 pm

"deeply problematic" what a pile of poo statement
Escape Rope / Blxck Onion / Black Mesa
warmowski wrote:Fire back, absolutely, always and forever no matter how much it blows Andy's mind.
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby seanurban on Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:39 pm

Get dog costumes wrote:
the other NYT wrote: he called the event “a pretty white rally.”
AKA "the electorate"
seanurban
King High

Postby Angus Jung on Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:56 pm

Note the time in the bottom left hand corner.

Angus Jung
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Me Again on Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:04 pm

"Deeply problematic" -- SMH.

I guess some people can find fault in anything. Damned if Bernie does, damned if Bernie don't.

The argument that he hasn't "reached out" enough can always be brought into play, I guess. Meanwhile, what are the other candidates up to, much less Trump? Kind of a tired grievance considering the other options, don't you think?
...with Euro-Sprockets coming at you from every direction.
Me Again

Postby llllllllllllllllllllllll on Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:50 pm

Angus Jung wrote:Note the time in the bottom left hand corner.

69 days until January 1
llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

dvockins wrote:Gold hardware means you are number one.
llllllllllllllllllllllll

Postby Andrew. on Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:29 pm

seanurban wrote:
Get dog costumes wrote:
the other NYT wrote: he called the event “a pretty white rally.”

Have they ever been to a Warren rally?

Andrew.
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

They’re called pow wows

Postby seanurban on Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:06 pm

Don’t take the bait. If they’re not white nationalists you have nothing to worry about.
seanurban
King High

Postby Andrew. on Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:27 am

Guy was obviously concern trolling about the rally.

I saw Bernie got the coveted Jack White endorsement meanwhile.
Andrew.
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby numberthirty on Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:29 pm

Boombats wrote:"deeply problematic" what a pile of poo statement

If you've never actually laid eyes on something that was legitimately "Problematic"?

I could see it.

Meanwhile, there's everybody who has actually lived a less sheltered life wondering what the heck they are talking about.
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Andrew. on Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:57 pm

Bernie talks about cutting military aid to Israel and redirecting it into aid for Gaza.

https://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/ ... d-horrific
Andrew.
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby curry pervert on Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:54 pm

He gets better every time he opens his mouth.

It's like the complete opposite of trump.
curry pervert
mikhail botvinnik
mikhail botvinnik

Postby stewie on Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:18 pm

stewie
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap