Re: C/NC: Bernie Sanders 2020 Presidential Bid

Postby andteater on Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:03 am

andteater
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby Ike on Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:12 am

Oh fuck. That's rough.

Most people in the prime of their lives can't keep up that dude's pace. He's 78. Fuck. Hope he pulls through this without a hitch.
Ike
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt

Postby jimmy spako on Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:18 am

Goddamn it.

Don't know how that dude does it, I feel wasted just staying up past midnight drinking my near beer and watching baseball.

Best get well vibes to Bernie.
Isabelle Gall wrote:'Do not go smoothly into that dark night'
jimmy spako
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby A_Man_Who_Tries on Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:20 am

Very rough. Hopefully he has a full and quick recovery.

Sooner or later we need to have a good look at some kind of age limit for these positions. It's unreasonable to expect people in their twilight years to have enough in the tank to be heads of state, and their wisdom (those who have it...) could easily be leaned on from a less-hectic place.
maintain a healthy foe list
A_Man_Who_Tries
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast

Postby Clyde on Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:28 am

Well that fucking sucks.
NewDarkAge wrote:Dialectics, mate. No easy answers.
Clyde
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby Boombats on Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:58 am

We don't deserve Bernie Sanders. I want him to be president but not at the expense of his life. I hope he heals up and it would be great if he can keep in the race, but if the stress of running for president is going to kill him or make him unwell then I'd prefer he drop out. We're just gonna fuck this up anyway.
Escape Rope / Blxck Onion / Black Mesa
warmowski wrote:Fire back, absolutely, always and forever no matter how much it blows Andy's mind.
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby Andrew. on Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:07 am

Highlights a fundamental weakness when a mass movement for political power is synonymous with one person. Apparently he had 7 back-to-back events in two days before he went into the hospital.
Andrew.
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby llllllllllllllllllllllll on Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:28 am

llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

dvockins wrote:Gold hardware means you are number one.
llllllllllllllllllllllll
Guardian Diety of the Planet

Postby Tommy on Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:14 pm

Shitty. He'll be fine, but I'm guessing this will likely cost him the nomination. Since I hear so many people say, "I like him but he's too old."
Tommy
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby VaticanShotglass on Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:03 pm

Such a bummer. I really admire how hard he has been working, though I hope it hasn't been at the expense of his health. I also really admire how his campaign has sharpened up so nicely in the few rough patches from last run. I really like his campaign. Obviously this has not been widely enough appreciated.
VaticanShotglass

Postby Wood Goblin on Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:57 am

Reports also came out yesterday that the Sanders campaign suspended TV advertising in Iowa. This wouldn’t have mattered at all—maybe it made sense strategically—if not for his concurrent health scare.

I support Warren over Sanders, but count me among the many who wish him well. He’s been one of the most principled people in government since his career began.
Wood Goblin

Postby Me Again on Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:31 pm

Donated a handful of ducats to Bernie's campaign just before the recent fundraising deadline. Even if he pulls out of the race, I don't regret it. Am hoping he won't, but obviously his personal health should take precedence over politics. Wishing him a speedy recovery.
...with Euro-Sprockets coming at you from every direction.
Me Again
"kick a ginger day" victim

Postby Angus Jung on Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:49 pm

A spokesperson from his campaign announced earlier today that he will be participating in the next Democratic debate, which is on Oct. 15.
Angus Jung
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby tmidgett on Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:06 pm

Angus Jung wrote:A spokesperson from his campaign announced earlier today that he will be participating in the next Democratic debate, which is on Oct. 15.

Probably there's a good joke about the renewed importance of picking a good running mate that would help.
tmidgett
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Me Again on Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:29 pm

Am of two minds about it, in the sense that I can't imagine him bowing out easily, at the first sign of trouble, and don't expect him to give up without a fight. But also I think if anyone in the political sphere deserves their rest, it's probably him.

The same could be said for someone like Ruth Bader Ginsburg--I want her to stay in, but if she were to retire from politics, it would be completely understandable.
...with Euro-Sprockets coming at you from every direction.
Me Again

Postby Andrew. on Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:38 pm

Apparently it's a very common, routine procedure and some people return to work the very next day.

Obviously Saint Bernard has been running his ass off 24/7 and he is old as sin, but I reckon he's in better health than many much younger presidential candidates historically, from FDR to Bill Clinton.
Andrew.
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby TroyClayton on Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:38 pm

Berniemail today w/subject line "Some are not as lucky"
I want to thank you for all of the well wishes I’ve received over the past two days.

I am feeling good, and am fortunate to have good health care and great doctors and nurses helping me recover. And I am looking forward to sharing our vision for transforming this country at the next debate on October 15.

But the truth is, millions of Americans are not as lucky as I am right now.

Today in America, there are some 87 million Americans who are uninsured or underinsured.

That is unacceptable to me.

It is unacceptable to me that today in America, we end up spending almost twice as much as any other major country on health care, while our life expectancy continues to decline and our healthcare outcomes lag behind many other countries.

It is unacceptable to me that we give tax breaks to billionaires and large corporations while people are dying because they can't afford to get to a doctor or buy the medicine they need.

It is unacceptable to me that at meeting after meeting our campaign holds, I hear from people who have lost loved ones because they could not afford the unbelievably high cost of prescription drugs or from others who are forced to cut their pills in half due to the cost.

It is unacceptable to me that working class families and small businesses pay far more for healthcare than they can afford, and more than half a million Americans declare bankruptcy each year because they cannot pay off the outrageous cost of a medical emergency or a hospital stay.

And in my view it is long past time that we end the international embarrassment of the United States being the only major country on Earth that does not guarantee health care to all its citizens.

So thank you again for your well wishes – they mean a lot to Jane and me. It means a lot to us that supporters like you made more than 100,000 calls on the dialer as part of our Call to Win program last night. It means a lot to us that so many are signing up for canvasses, organizing meetings and ballot access events across the country this week. It means a lot to us that almost 8,000 people made a contribution to our campaign yesterday without us even asking.

Thank you.

None of us know when a medical emergency might affect us. And no one should fear going bankrupt if it occurs.

It is time for Medicare for All.

In solidarity,

Bernie Sanders
TroyClayton
sister
sister

Postby askii on Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:46 pm

After his tweet yesterday that concluded with "Medicare For All!", someone replied "This is the most on-message person who has ever lived."

Andrew. wrote:Apparently it's a very common, routine procedure and some people return to work the very next day.

Obviously Saint Bernard has been running his ass off 24/7 and he is old as sin, but I reckon he's in better health than many much younger presidential candidates historically, from FDR to Bill Clinton.

I am Not That Kind of Doctor but this is my understanding as well. Many people actually feel better afterward, b/c their arterial blockage is cleared. (Just wait 'til his next at-bat.) And yes, pretty sure Bubba and Dubya both got arterial stents in their sixties. Biden has had BRAIN SURGERY. [insert joke]

I'm much less worried about his health than I am about the narrative. Probably a good thing that the Trumpster Fire is consuming all the oxygen right now. There was some great counterprogramming yesterday -- Katie Halper and Krystal Ball got #StentStory trending* and tons of folks shared their positive post-stent experiences. Got me a little choked up, TBH. Never dreamed of feeling this way about a US presidential campaign before this fuckin' guy came along.

*I think I am using Twitterspeak correctly?
askii
mime
mime

Postby andteater on Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:40 am

askii wrote:I'm much less worried about his health than I am about the narrative.

i think that is the only reason to be concerned. it is clearly a fairly common procedure and the news of him still being in the debate means that he will be back up and ready to go soon. that doesn't mean that some people who were on the fence won't sour on him due to health reasons.
andteater

Postby Luzwei on Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:18 pm

llllllllllllllllllllllll wrote:

Holy shit, I'm voting Bernie. Fuck it.
lemur68 wrote:A bite from a Lu Zworis is also highly venomous.

I Joe 4 play.
Luzwei
Present-day God
Present-day God

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap