Crash and Ride Podcast

Crap
No votes
Not Crap
100%

Total votes : 18

Podcast: Crash and Ride

Postby Andrew. on Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:23 am

PRF member DFTR launches a podcast about anxiety and depression among musicians and artists. Saw it on Twitter.

Here.
Andrew.
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Re: Podcast: Crash and Ride

Postby jimmy spako on Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:47 am

Awesome, had seen that pop up and bookmarked it to come back to it, but didn't realise it was from DFTR.
Isabelle Gall wrote:'Do not go smoothly into that dark night'
jimmy spako
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby jimmy spako on Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:54 am

Nice talk!
Ringo, you have a perfect, pleasant radio voice.

I would love to hear David Pajo speak if he were interested. I once bugged Paul Gilmartin about trying to get him on the Mental Illness Happy Hour.

I also suggested trying to talk to Benga, a dubstep producer who developed serious mental health issues and outed himself, went public.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/oct/02/dubstep-dj-producer-benga-mental-illness

Would be interesting to talk to such folks too, maybe cross over some.
jimmy spako

Postby Andrew. on Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:35 pm

First episode is really good, and I'm not even a drummer. Just a great interview and conversation (w good audio quality).
Andrew.
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby offal on Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:44 am

Bump. Really enjoyed the first episode. Cregger seems like an incredibly insightful guy.

Patrick does a great job of not talking all over the guest, which is great.

On board for more. Not crap so far.
offal
Supreme Commander at the Forefront
Supreme Commander at the Forefront

Postby Dave N. on Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:06 am

I always wished they'd have more musicians on Mental Illness Happy Hour. I guess this solves it! Looking forward to more episodes.
Dave N.
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Postby Pasta on Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:15 am

jimmy spako wrote:Nice talk!
Ringo, you have a perfect, pleasant radio voice.

I would love to hear David Pajo speak if he were interested. I once bugged Paul Gilmartin about trying to get him on the Mental Illness Happy Hour.

I also suggested trying to talk to Benga, a dubstep producer who developed serious mental health issues and outed himself, went public.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/oct/02/dubstep-dj-producer-benga-mental-illness

Would be interesting to talk to such folks too, maybe cross over some.

Pajo on the Happy Hour would be life altering.
RSMurphy wrote:Everything I enjoy about metal: heavy, cool riffs, hooks, expressive vocals.
Pasta
Fucking Survivor....Fuck Cancer

Postby dontfeartheringo on Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:08 am

Oh, hai guys.

I didn't want to spam the board with my new thing! I didn't even know this thread was up until I looked at my "incoming links" just now! Thanks for the kind words! Did you know that today I published an interview with FM Kerble?

https://www.patreon.com/posts/crash-and-ride-4-25759801

offal wrote:Patrick does a great job of not talking all over the guest, which is great.

Anyone who knows me in meatspace knows that this is something I have to concentrate on NOT DOING. I'm glad it's working!

I'd LOVE to talk to Dave Pajo. Holy cow, that would be amazing. I'm having pretty good luck with sound quality on these skype interviews. I'll reach out!

Jimmy Spako, I will also reach out to Benga! So far I've had great luck in my circle of musicians and friends of friends. Benga would be the first person I've ever approached who I'd never met. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Thanks for your support! Don't be shy about constructive criticism. The better this thing is, the better my chances are of reaching someone who is in crisis. I tell all the guests: Be honest. Be complete. Don't protect people who abused or neglected you, because telling the truth could save someone's life.

Loud guitars save lives!
Anthony Flack wrote:The sax would be a cool instrument if people would only stop making it go burrrrrBLEEEEEE.
dontfeartheringo
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby dontfeartheringo on Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:10 pm

The latest episode is up, episode 5 is where I interview one of my oldest friends, and we get into some heavy stuff that I didn't even know he went through.

https://www.patreon.com/posts/crash-and-ride-5-25919827

Episode 6 is an interview with Noelle Shuck from the punk band SheHeHe. She's great. Very funny. After Episode 5, it was a nice break from the dark stuff. It will be available on Sunday morning at 12:01AM. Hangover listening!

I am going to talk to Thor Harris in the next few weeks, and today Erika from Motherfucker said she might want to sit for an interview. I'm stoked.

Thanks for listening!
Anthony Flack wrote:The sax would be a cool instrument if people would only stop making it go burrrrrBLEEEEEE.
dontfeartheringo
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby Pasta on Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:55 pm

dontfeartheringo wrote:today Erika from Motherfucker said she might want to sit for an interview. I'm stoked.

Thanks for listening!

SWEET!

Love the Pod, brother.
RSMurphy wrote:Everything I enjoy about metal: heavy, cool riffs, hooks, expressive vocals.
Pasta
Fucking Survivor....Fuck Cancer

Postby Angus Jung on Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:06 pm

Suggestion: Emil Amos (OM drummer, also Grails, Holy Sons, etc) has been pretty open about depression issues on his own podcast. He would likely be a good guest.
Angus Jung
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby jimmy spako on Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:31 am

^ That'd be cool. Maybe Alex M. might be able to connect you, think he may be trying to talk to Emil about recording for TapeOp or some other sort of interview too. Or just hit him up on FB, he seems approachable.

Salut! DFTR.
jimmy spako

Postby A_Man_Who_Tries on Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:35 am

I'm sure these would all be interesting interviews, and the podcast is made with great intentions, but given all of these folk are actively thriving I'd find it a series of kicks in the teeth to listen. Set against the overarching theme of the podcast I mean.

Best of luck mind dftr.
maintain a healthy foe list
A_Man_Who_Tries
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast

Postby Andrew. on Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:42 am

jimmy spako wrote:^ That'd be cool. Maybe Alex M. might be able to connect you, think he may be trying to talk to Emil about recording for TapeOp or some other sort of interview too. Or just hit him up on FB, he seems approachable.

Salut! DFTR.

I think Faiz also knows Emil personally.
Andrew.
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby dontfeartheringo on Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:16 am

A_Man_Who_Tries wrote: all of these folk are actively thriving .

I've found that hasn't actually been the case. Some are, some aren't, some are in the space in between.

i think it's more important to show the true nature of the affliction than to paint a shiny picture that says we're all fine now.

The interview today was devastating. It will be up in five or so weeks. I'll talk more about it as the day gets closer.
dontfeartheringo
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby A_Man_Who_Tries on Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:23 am

There are ebbs and flows, always. When an ep features a guest nobody has heard of, I imagine I'll be all over it.
maintain a healthy foe list
A_Man_Who_Tries
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast

Postby dontfeartheringo on Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:35 am

Episode 7 is up! I interviewed Anthony Aparo, an Atlanta singer/songwriter, super smart guy, son of major label casualty Angie Aparo, who got caught up in the machine in the '90s.

We talk about that and a whole lot of divorce, depression, and other kinds of sadness.

https://www.patreon.com/posts/crash-and-ride-7-26216113
dontfeartheringo
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby dontfeartheringo on Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:15 pm

Episode 8 is up! I interviewed Gus Engstrom!

Gus is a musician and promoter from Charlotte, NC. He's an old friend and a good soul! He plays in the band Power Take Off and has long been a promoter and supporter of the Southeastern noise rock and punk scene. Gus had a late-life outburst of anxiety attacks and has spent years combating his anxiety and learning to manage it. We talk about that, about being a single parent, about being punk in drublic in the South, and more!

https://www.patreon.com/posts/crash-and-ride-8-26355572
dontfeartheringo
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby Andrew. on Mon May 06, 2019 1:10 pm

dontfeartheringo wrote:Episode 8 is up! I interviewed Gus Engstrom!

Enjoyed the music and southern talk on this ep. When I was about 13 I inherited a jean jacket from an older skater brother w the CoC logo painted on the back. I felt about 30% badass and 70% poseur bc I was a crummy skater.

Btw, don't know if you've considered playing music from your guests on the show at the start or at the finish of episodes, but fwiw I think it would be a great addition to the podcast. You seem to always touch on the guest's sound, influences, etc, so why not play a track or at least a couple minutes of a track each time? Vish Khanna always goes out by playing a track his guest suggests and it works well. Other than Faiz's stuff bc of the PRF connection, I've never heard of any of the bands of your guests up in Canada.

Congrats on the coffee bean sponsorship. It's like early WTF (w/o the narcissistic, repetitive, self-indulgent monologues etc).
Andrew.
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby dontfeartheringo on Tue May 14, 2019 11:41 pm

Hello, friends! The most recent episode (#10!!) is an interview with forum member Evan Rowe. It's a heavy one. Evan has been very forthcoming about his battles with depression and his time with electro-convulsive therapy, and man, this one was so heavy. There were tears, many long silences, a lot of truth got told.

I left the silences in, all of them in their entirety, because I felt like it was important to keep the interview as real as possible. I think they give you an idea of how thoughtful and honest Evan is.

https://www.patreon.com/posts/26784797

Andrew, I have gone back and forth on putting the music of the guests into the interview, but here's my thinking on that, at this point: I definitely don't want to break the flow of the conversation by taking four minutes to play a song. There are podcasts and interviews where the subject is the music, not the musician, and that makes sense there, I think, but not as much here, especially when some of these conversations are super heavy.

I also considered putting the music on the tail end of the podcast. How great would it have been to put "Foreign Object" by Multicult on the end of my interview with Jake Cregger? Here's the thing, though: What if someone else in the band objects to my use of their material? Then I have to pull the thing down and edit it out.

Now that I have sponsors, an interviewee (or someone in their band) could rightly claim that they're owed a sync royalty, since I'm making (admittedly very little) money off this thing, now. The music I use now is from the Powder Room's first record, and I have permission, so that's uncomplicated and easy.

I do include links to everyone's bandcamp page in the show notes. Does your podcast client forward that info to your device?

Anyway, here's that song:

dontfeartheringo
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Next

Return to Crap / Not Crap