Mayor Pete?

Meet Pete!
40%
Not ready for prime time
60%

Total votes : 47

2020 Trump Opponent: Pete Buttigieg

Postby garthplinko on Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:05 am

I think my former mayor deserves his own thread.

So I lived in South Bend for all but these past 6 or so months of his administration. I have met him on several occasions and even done sound for him when he sat in with his friend's band. I often wonder if he ever ended up at any of the house shows I used to do back in the day as the timing would have been right.

Anne from Petrillo gave me an advanced copy of his book which is great, although much of it reads like a South Bend tourism advert. It shows his keen mind and provides some insight into his reasoned thought process. I don't agree with him on every stance he has taken, but I at least feel like I understand why he makes the decisions he has when I don't.

I can only say that in my experience having been around him several times when he didn't have to be "on," he seems very much like the real deal.

As you can tell, I have a pro-Pete bias - and this is in spite of the fact that about the last thing I would want to do is put another white man in power but here it is.
garthplinko
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents

Re: 2020 Trump Opponent: Pete Buttigieg

Postby Ike on Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:10 am

I'm in. Read a ton and listened to a bunch of interviews in the past week (including the somewhat controversial one, which I'll address below), and he hits so many points that resonate with many communities around in my area (impoverished, non-white, struggling).

I'm into his trip.

The interview in question was on CBS news. Here's the bit of information in question:

"Buttigieg told CBS News Radio on the sidelines of the South by Southwest Festival where he spoke over the weekend that he was "troubled" by former President Obama's decision to commute the 35-year prison sentence for Chelsea Manning days before he left office in 2017...

Buttigieg also took aim at Snowden's leaks, but didn't say whether he thought Snowden should be returned to the U.S. from Russia, where he is avoiding prosecution. Buttigieg called this an "international diplomatic challenge."

'I certainly agree that we've learned things about abuses and that one way or another that needed to come out," Buttigieg said. "But in my view, the way for that to come out is through Congressional oversight, not through a breach of classified information.'"

Dude has a military background, and you're not gonna condition that out of a person. There's a protocol in place (a deeply flawed one), and that was breached.

I don't agree with his take on Manning or Snowden, but through gritted teeth I see where his concerns are coming from.

I'm into his trip.
Ike
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt

Postby Angus Jung on Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:42 am

Angus Jung
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby garthplinko on Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:43 am

If you're not sure the pronunciation, "Boodah-judge" is completely fair (and in his book).

Or...this...
garthplinko

Postby Boombats on Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:39 pm

this dude should have changed his name if he was serious about serving the nation. I just don't think he's willing to commit. CRAP
Escape Rope / Blxck Onion / Black Mesa
warmowski wrote:Fire back, absolutely, always and forever no matter how much it blows Andy's mind.
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby djimbe on Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:55 pm

I don't live in South Bend, but have worked in St. Joe County since 1991. The complaints I hear (and they don't come up daily or weekly but they do come up) always seem to be from the hyper-conservative Catholics in the area. Most seem butt hurt, not that he's gay, but that he "advertises" it, and "flaunts" his "marriage". And yes, those quoted words are usually kinda spat out with derision.

"I dont' care if he's gay" I've been told. "But why does he have to show it off? Why can't he keep that to himself?" Seriously. This I have heard on more than one occasion from more than one person that I work with. In 2019.

Welcome to South Bend. Please don't forget to set your clocks back 20 years...
djimbe
urinated in reservoir
urinated in reservoir

Postby andteater on Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:56 pm

Angus Jung wrote:https://twitter.com/imraansiddiqi/status/1110260461885255680

why even post in any thread but the Bernie one so you can have an Auto Focus party with yourself.

Ike's post is correct. As with every candidate, he has views and a history featuring things i disagree with. But on the whole he seems fantastic.

All that being said, if Bernie isn't given the nomination, I'm going to set myself on fire because I am a fucking dumbass man child who still hasn't figured out that everything isn't perfect and life isn't fair.
andteater
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby Angus Jung on Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:18 pm

andteater wrote:
Angus Jung wrote:https://twitter.com/imraansiddiqi/status/1110260461885255680

why even post in any thread but the Bernie one so you can have an Auto Focus party with yourself.

Ike's post is correct. As with every candidate, he has views and a history featuring things i disagree with. But on the whole he seems fantastic.

All that being said, if Bernie isn't given the nomination, I'm going to set myself on fire because I am a fucking dumbass man child who still hasn't figured out that everything isn't perfect and life isn't fair.

I thought it went without saying, but I guess I should clarify that as an American I think it's super cool, and not a little sexually arousing, when a guy brags about carrying an assault rifle in a foreign country and killin' them Ay-rabs!

I'm just adding to the "this bro is awesome" chorus.
Angus Jung
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby warmowski on Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:55 am

Back in small times, Mayor Pete was right about Bernie:

Above all, I commend Bernie Sanders for giving me an answer to those who say American young people see politics as a cesspool of corruption, beyond redemption. I have heard that no sensible young person today would want to give his or her life to public service. I can personally assure you this is untrue.

Buttigieg's governed from the same spot on the ideological spectrum that he's running on now, which is way more than can be said for Harris, Booker and Texas Bob. I don't think he's a shitball centrist effectively pouring gasoline onto the right-wing inferno with lame triangulation. Are we absolutely sure he's a Democrat?

-r
warmowski
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby Ike on Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:52 am

He's running as one. Registered as one. Mayor of one of the most conservative pockets in the Midwest, so there will be concessions.

I've gleaned that as well, Warmowski--seems to be incredibly consistent in his platform.

Gonna donate to his campaign next week.
Ike
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt

Postby Clyde on Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:14 pm

Ike wrote:seems to be incredibly consistent in his platform.

Serious question, no sarcasm intended: what is his platform? Why are people excited about him? I can't find a lot. Neither his wikipedia page of his personal page said much about his policies. I read a couple of other things him and he seemed...fine. From what I could find, better than your average replacement-level Democrat, especially for Indiana. The Harvard guy/military guy/business consulting guy are all yellow flags at least. But he's for single payer and wants to do something about global warming, which, yeah, GOOD but I can't find anything that puts him anywhere near the league of Warren/Sanders. If you or anybody can explain or give me some good links I'll check them out.
NewDarkAge wrote:Dialectics, mate. No easy answers.
Clyde
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby brephophagist on Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:36 pm

Clyde wrote:Serious question, no sarcasm intended: what is his platform? Why are people excited about him? I can't find a lot.

+1 on that.
brephophagist
names vacuums with eyes closed
names vacuums with eyes closed

Postby eliya on Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:21 pm

brephophagist wrote:
Clyde wrote:Serious question, no sarcasm intended: what is his platform? Why are people excited about him? I can't find a lot.

+1 on that.

+1.

Also tiring that the media is going nuts that he's so smart, meanwhile Elizabeth Warren who is also smart and has a solid platform and publishes policies, is not seen as such.
eliya
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby llllllllllllllllllllllll on Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:28 pm

eliya wrote:
brephophagist wrote:

+1 on that.

+1.

Also tiring that the media is going nuts that he's so smart, meanwhile Elizabeth Warren who is also smart and has a solid platform and publishes policies, is not seen as such.

According to Current Affairs he’s kind of a bullshitter and hasn’t decided yet:

VICE: I listened to you talk today. On the one hand, you definitely speak very progressively. But you don’t have a lot of super-specific policy ideas.

BUTTIGIEG: Part of where the left and the center-left have gone wrong is that we’ve been so policy-led that we haven’t been as philosophical. We like to think of ourselves as the intellectual ones. But the truth is that the right has done a better job, in my lifetime, of connecting up its philosophy and its values to its politics. Right now I think we need to articulate the values, lay out our philosophical commitments and then develop policies off of that. And I’m working very hard not to put the cart before the horse.

VICE: Is there time for that? They want the list. They want to know exactly what you’re going to do.

BUTTIGIEG: I think it can actually be a little bit dishonest to think you have it all figured out on day 1. I think anybody in this race is going to be a lot more specific or policy-oriented than the current president. But I don’t think we ought to have that all locked in on day 1.

llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

dvockins wrote:Gold hardware means you are number one.
llllllllllllllllllllllll
Guardian Diety of the Planet

Postby garthplinko on Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:15 pm

You can call that bullshittery if you want. I think he's making an important point that getting a clear message out there that is easily understood is the number one most important thing that can be done right now. He's making a lot of legit points to people who otherwise might not be paying attention, Pete or no Pete.

There's a lot of noise in the 24-hour news cycle. If we look at ourselves for a moment, we know the PRF is a bubble of politically-minded people who want to know details and indulge in them when the rest of the country decidedly can barely be arsed to pay attention. The left has been absolutely awful for years at helping people understand that voting Republican is absolutely against their best interest and good on Pete for pointing that out.

Having read his book where he goes into detail about most of the major decisions he made in his small-potatoes mayorship, it's hard for me not to think that this is a tactic: focusing on the clear message and bullet points first, then expand on the outline as it progresses.

In the meantime, he stands for and speaks out about a lot of the most important policies such as the Green New Deal, etc.

I have to be honest, do I think he's got a chance? No. But he's doing something a lot of other folks are not and that's speaking clearly and openly about left issues that matter and doing so in an approachable, midwestern way that doesn't frighten the middle.

Honestly, I wish he would have went up for Walorski's Congressional seat instead but as conservative as South Bend is, the rest of the 2nd district is ULTRA-Conservative. It would have been a brutal battle to get people in the surrounding counties to vote for a gay man.

I also see where he probably is instead vying for some sort of cabinet position or something. Either way, I am glad he is out there getting the message out.
garthplinko

Postby llllllllllllllllllllllll on Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:18 pm

So what is the message? His website doesnt say anything.
llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

dvockins wrote:Gold hardware means you are number one.
llllllllllllllllllllllll

Postby Ike on Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:15 am

Sorry, away from my computer for the weekend.

I like that he's a military dude fully in support of pulling out completely from Afghanistan, and by extension won't engage in hawk behavior.

He's talked about this gun turn in system (or something like that) for automatic weapons/illegal firearms. No way he can go full Anti-2nd Amendment (Indiana, or should I say, THE USA), but it's a small gesture.

As any rational-thinking person should, single-payer is something he's discussed, and don't quote me, but I think he wants that kinda mid-system as an interlocutor. Like a process working UP to single-payer. That makes sense to me. A dramatic gear-shift could backfire.

I honestly wish he was more open on income inequality, the opiod epidemic, and I haven't heard him say anything at all about Palestine/Israel.

He's got some juice. I like him.

Elizabeth Warren seems to have had a course correction from that dumb gaff last year (stupid publicity stunt, it set her back in my mind). I think they'd make a great team.
Ike
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt

Postby Angus Jung on Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:20 pm

Clyde wrote:VICE: I listened to you talk today. On the one hand, you definitely speak very progressively. But you don’t have a lot of super-specific policy ideas.

BUTTIGIEG: Part of where the left and the center-left have gone wrong is that we’ve been so policy-led that we haven’t been as philosophical. We like to think of ourselves as the intellectual ones. But the truth is that the right has done a better job, in my lifetime, of connecting up its philosophy and its values to its politics. Right now I think we need to articulate the values, lay out our philosophical commitments and then develop policies off of that. And I’m working very hard not to put the cart before the horse.

VICE: Is there time for that? They want the list. They want to know exactly what you’re going to do.

BUTTIGIEG: I think it can actually be a little bit dishonest to think you have it all figured out on day 1. I think anybody in this race is going to be a lot more specific or policy-oriented than the current president. But I don’t think we ought to have that all locked in on day 1.

This dude and Beto are fighting it out for the empty-suit lane. He's better than Beto at least.
Angus Jung
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby AdamN on Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:56 pm

Beto and Biden's campaigns will crash and burn due to their own incompetence. I don't see Buttedge's ending that way. I still can't get past him referring to labor activists peacefully protesting for living wages for Harvard's janitors and cafeteria workers as "social justice warriors". Great, another succdem, concocted in a lab by neoliberal elites. Also, Zuckerkorn wasn't at Harvard yet in 2001.
Last edited by AdamN on Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AdamN
dave "devilfish" ulliot
dave "devilfish" ulliot

Postby jimmy two hands on Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:00 pm

I have a real personal connection to the whole from-a-dying-industrial-town-of-roughly-100,000-people-in-the-upper-midwest-that-also-has-a-major-university thing, but so far I don't know what he stands for. Withholding my vote until I can see any substance.
banjo.comics.pigfuck.stoner metal.rock operas.

AudioTruth wrote:Everything I buy from other brands break after a couple years, this is because they are only interested in making money. I'm only interested in long-lasting eargasms.
jimmy two hands
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Next

Return to Crap / Not Crap