Mayor Pete?

Meet Pete!
35%
Not ready for prime time
65%

Total votes : 57

Re: 2020 Trump Opponent: Pete Buttigieg

Postby Clyde on Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:43 am

Oh, I'd say this was a Fyre Festival situation rather than a Parallax View one. But personally, I don't take much comfort in the idea that the people in charge of the party are not the technocratic wunderkind wonks they claim to be but scammers and frauds, and terrible ones at that. The depth and breadth of incompetence on display are borderline criminal in themselves. Heckuva job, Brownie!
This is without even delving into the multiple conflicts on interest or the absence of disclosure and transparency from interested parties. I mean, gee, I wonder why people think there is a conspiracy afoot when in the aftermath of Iowa ACRONYM began immediately bullshitting about its relationship with Shadow, claiming now to have only been an investor when as of a few days earlier they bragged about having "launched Shadow."
The real conspiracy here is that the Democratic Party, the DCC, DNCC, and all their coordinating partners are not interested in building any kind of grassroots infrastructure but to paying out money to consultants to build apps and the like. And this is due to their enthrallment to the donor class who loathe the base, loathe their priorities, and loathe anything that might cause Aetna's stock to go down.
NewDarkAge wrote:Dialectics, mate. No easy answers.
Clyde
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby tmidgett on Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:11 am

andteater wrote:using the app was one of the dumbest ideas of all time, but jesus christ the theories of how it all went down. a coordinated cabal of people trying to undermine Bernie? or a bunch of boomers trying to use an app for the first time that hasn't been beta tested effectively. GOTTA BE THE DEEP STATE.

it definitely looks like Pete will come in 2nd and more importantly, Biden will come in 4th. anyone cheering for Bernie or Warren should be pleased, as Pete with his 0% minority support will not be able to win many more, and if he is able to somehow knock out Biden, that leaves the two most progressive candidates available to battle this out.

(until the deep state does something to conspire against them)

Agree...

The raw incompetence is hilarious. "Hmmmm...we could do this with a PENCIL and a piece of PAPER or we could thumb a bunch of shit into a phone app and confuse ourselves as to whether we even have all the right numbers in there. Let's go with the app."

Pete winning or strong 2nd is fine. It's way more important that Biden gets submarined. Bernie 1st/strong 2nd, great.

Much bigger problems in this country than this raggedy-ass Iowa caucus. There probably will never be another Iowa caucus, and whatever they do next time, it's gonna be so late in the primary schedule that no one is ever going to care again.
tmidgett
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Angus Jung on Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:20 am

Clyde wrote:The real conspiracy here is that the Democratic Party, the DCC, DNCC, and all their coordinating partners are not interested in building any kind of grassroots infrastructure but to paying out money to consultants to build apps and the like. And this is due to their enthrallment to the donor class who loathe the base, loathe their priorities, and loathe anything that might cause Aetna's stock to go down.

These people all know that a Bernie Sanders presidency poses a greater threat to their gravy train than a Donald Trump presidency does.
Angus Jung
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Major on Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:53 am

Major
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Wood Goblin on Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:02 pm

FWIW, Iowa was just fine at fucking up analog caucuses too. In 2012, everyone thought Romney won the GOP caucus for about a month, when Santorum actually won it.

Caucuses are awful anyway. The US should have zero of them.
Wood Goblin
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Nicholas.L on Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:51 pm

Occam's razor would suggest there is no formal conspiracy, but the thing about corruption is that coordinated malfeasance isn't a necessary condition. All you need are coinciding interests. If every actor in the electoral process is drawn from the same pool of corporatist democrats, then the bias will converge in one direction. The scandal here is the irrefutable evidence of an unqualified tech vendor getting access to tenders due to their connections. That the founder of the parent group that developed the app is married to a senior strategist of Buttigieg's campaign is a glaring conflict of interest. Never mind that any transparent democratic institution should never farm out voting technology development to a private enterprise without oversight. Between the gerrymandering, voter suppression, disinformation campaigns, and insecure vote tallying, it is extremely rich for both the Democratic and Republican parties to be giving a standing ovation to Juan Guaidó at the State of the Union address. Until American elections are monitored by neutral observers, I don't want to hear about how foreign elections are illegitimate in the eyes of U.S. government. By your country's standards, Canada should start imposing sanctions and embargoing food imports.
Nicholas.L
ambulance chaser
ambulance chaser

Postby curry pervert on Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:01 pm

andteater wrote: a coordinated cabal of people trying to undermine Bernie? or a bunch of boomers trying to use an app for the first time that hasn't been beta tested effectively. GOTTA BE THE DEEP STATE.

I never have and never will use the term 'deep state', nor necessarily subscribe to it. But if you don't think Bernie will have to fight the full weight of the establishment to get anywhere near the presidency, you haven't been paying attention.
curry pervert
norse
norse

Postby Me Again on Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:23 pm

Nicholas.L wrote:Occam's razor would suggest there is no formal conspiracy, but the thing about corruption is that coordinated malfeasance isn't a necessary condition. All you need are coinciding interests. If every actor in the electoral process is drawn from the same pool of corporatist democrats, then the bias will converge in one direction. The scandal here is the irrefutable evidence of an unqualified tech vendor getting access to tenders due to their connections. That the founder of the parent group that developed the app is married to a senior strategist of Buttigieg's campaign is a glaring conflict of interest.

+1

Also...

curry pervert wrote:
andteater wrote: a coordinated cabal of people trying to undermine Bernie? or a bunch of boomers trying to use an app for the first time that hasn't been beta tested effectively. GOTTA BE THE DEEP STATE.

I never have and never will use the term 'deep state', nor necessarily subscribe to it.

The "deep state" is pure right-winger rhetoric. I've never heard someone on the left invoke this phrase or theory in earnest. It's the stuff of Alex Jones and Rush Limbaugh talks.
...with Euro-Sprockets coming at you from every direction.
Me Again
the white ho
the white ho

Postby tmidgett on Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:18 pm

There's no "deep state." There's just the State.

The FBI works out of the fuckin' J Edgar Hoover Building. It's named after J Edgar Hoover. That guy.

Everything that is already in front of us and known is enough to explain everything you want to explain.

Including if/when the Sanders campaign has to fight actual ratfucking. You'll know it when it happens. This nonsense is not it.
tmidgett
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Me Again on Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:35 pm

tmidgett wrote:This nonsense is not it.

No, this debacle isn't an example of the resistance Bernie will face if/when he clinches the nomination. But it's also not a completely negligible matter to be swept under the rug, even if it feels like ancient history now. While the Iowa caucuses might seem silly and inconsequential to many of us, this election cycle they amounted to something of an opening move in a chess match to unseat Trump, and this being handled poorly set a bad precedent, undermining democracy somewhat and casting doubts on the DNC.

There are way bigger fish to fry, though, yes. I agree with that.
Me Again
the white ho
the white ho

Postby jimmy two hands on Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:07 pm

The democrats are too incompetent to pull off some state-wide fuckery, this is all just widespread incompetence and the idiotic idea that tech will save us. There were some shady things showing up where one of the counties had already published their results but then the official dem count switched a large number of votes away from Warren and Sanders into Deval Patrick and Steyer maybe? This could also just be people not understanding spreadsheets. There was another video of a caucus being decided by coin flip (because caucuses are stupid) and a kid from the Pete camp did the coin flip,looked at the coin, and then turned it over and announced the result. which seems shady indeed, but the kid also looked like he had no idea what he was doing and I guess it's possible for someone being too dumb to flip a coin. I suspect there will be some actual fuckery down the road, but politics isn't House of Cards in reality. It's Veep.
banjo.comics.pigfuck.stoner metal.rock operas.

AudioTruth wrote:Everything I buy from other brands break after a couple years, this is because they are only interested in making money. I'm only interested in long-lasting eargasms.
jimmy two hands
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Me Again on Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:58 pm

Apparently 96% of the numbers are in and Bernie is behind by just .7 points.
Me Again
the white ho
the white ho

Postby Clyde on Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:01 am

A good account to follow on this is: https://twitter.com/Taniel

It looks like it will end up being pretty much a statistical tie between Sanders and Buttigieg, although Ratboy currently leads in SDEs and Bernie will have gotten more votes regardless. It's hard to see how this farce translates into momentum for anybody but stranger things have happened, I guess. I get the feeling that N.H will be treated as something of a reset button...unless something goes disastrously wrong there too.
NewDarkAge wrote:Dialectics, mate. No easy answers.
Clyde

Postby Angus Jung on Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:02 pm

Clyde wrote:It looks like it will end up being pretty much a statistical tie between Sanders and Buttigieg

Sanders won the popular vote on both first and second alignments. If you cling to the totally quaint notion that whoever gets the most votes wins, Sanders already won.

He may ultimately win these other bizarre metrics too (i.e. State Delegate Equivalents, which Pete had a lead in for the last couple of days and what the media was pointing to in order to say he won), but the delegate shit is going to be either a tie or a very tiny margin one way or the other.

What's interesting is that the very last votes to be counted are from the satellite caucuses, made up largely of working-class immigrants that the Sanders team worked hard to organize and that Pete completely ignored, and these satellite caucuses are coming in huge for Sanders and may put him over the top in all categories when it's all said and done.
Angus Jung
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby NewDarkAge on Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:15 pm

I’ll be the first to admit that I don’t understand how caucuses work but the NY Times live feed had Buttigieg on ‘>95%’ to win when I woke up today and now has Bernie at 56% and is saying the probability of either is ‘flip a coin’. Which makes me wonder what the point of their elaborate forecasting model is.
bishopdante wrote:BTW was not suggesting that my particular area of interest is buttocks, but it is normal for people of all sexes and sexual persuasions to be into butts, is not weird.

Sighthound
NewDarkAge
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby Angus Jung on Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:36 pm

NewDarkAge wrote:I’ll be the first to admit that I don’t understand how caucuses work but the NY Times live feed had Buttigieg on ‘>95%’ to win when I woke up today and now has Bernie at 56% and is saying the probability of either is ‘flip a coin’. Which makes me wonder what the point of their elaborate forecasting model is.

The guy in charge of the NYT forecasting "needle" is very, very sorry.

Hahaaaaaaa calling this a shitshow is an insult to shitshows everywhere.
Angus Jung
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby jimmy two hands on Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:13 pm

Angus Jung wrote:
NewDarkAge wrote:I’ll be the first to admit that I don’t understand how caucuses work but the NY Times live feed had Buttigieg on ‘>95%’ to win when I woke up today and now has Bernie at 56% and is saying the probability of either is ‘flip a coin’. Which makes me wonder what the point of their elaborate forecasting model is.

The guy in charge of the NYT forecasting "needle" is very, very sorry.

Hahaaaaaaa calling this a shitshow is an insult to shitshows everywhere.

My dude actually said "the needle cannot fail, it can only be failed".
banjo.comics.pigfuck.stoner metal.rock operas.

AudioTruth wrote:Everything I buy from other brands break after a couple years, this is because they are only interested in making money. I'm only interested in long-lasting eargasms.
jimmy two hands
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Gramsci on Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:10 pm

A: Mayo Pete is a CIA rat

B: if the app was a conspiracy it was a fucking terrible one because it’s been dumped for future caucuses.

I’m putting this down to liberal brain hubris collapsing in a pile.

Mayo Pete would need to win NH to look credible and no poll is indicating that’s likely. Bernie has a clear path to victory, his biggest risk is all the Stop Bernie voters rallying behind one candidate. That was supposed to be Sleepy Joe...
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.
Gramsci
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby Andrew. on Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:32 pm

But the truth is, the youthful, progressive left has long despised the man that TikTok teens ridicule as “Mayo Pete.” And while Gen Z has made a social media sport of seizing his bland centrism for meme fodder, the millennials closest in age to the 38-year-old presidential hopeful are wracked by a more visceral contempt, informed by both their experience of American adulthood and the memory of growing up with peers who embody Pete’s brand of white-collar smarm. He’s the ruthless climber who wants a promotion at any cost, the rat who will sell you out the second you stop being useful to him. He’s the guy with opinions that shift according to the room he’s in. He did well in debate club, because he had the knack for disingenuous rhetoric. For some reason, he prefers to rip up a cinnamon roll and gnaw on the pieces. What the fuck is his deal?

https://melmagazine.com/en-us/story/why ... -buttigieg
Andrew.
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby mrcancelled on Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:46 pm

Andrew. wrote:

This is so satisfying to watch. Him trying to speak over the "WALL STREET PETE" chants during another part of the speech made my day.

I don't care for Joe Biden but his new attack ad is pretty hilarious. I love watching these people try to destroy each other.
mrcancelled
treaty of versailles
treaty of versailles

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap