home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Film: Joker(2019)

Vote and debate.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

So...

- Crap
5
23%
- Not Crap
12
55%
- Toss Up
5
23%
- Not Bad, Just Not My Thing
0
No votes
- Non-Poll Option: It's No "Shakes The Clown"
0
No votes
 
Total votes : 22

Re: Film: Joker(2019)

Postby Antero on Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:53 pm

Angus Jung wrote:https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EDGYISXXkAAnVJZ?format=jpg&name=large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EDGYIScXoAE ... me=900x900

This is the funniest shit

Anyhow, I'm sure Phoenix is good but I have no interest in seeing this.
Is you crazy baby, I gots to grind
Antero
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover
 
Posts: 11326
Joined: Wed May 18, 2005 8:54 am
Location: Hustle City, CA

Re: Film: Joker(2019)

Postby Antero on Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:56 pm

Also we all need to come to terms with the fact that The Dark Knight is an absolutely trash film with the sole exception of Heath Ledger's absolutely spectacular character/career/genre-defining performance. Fucking orchid growing out of a cowpat situation. Nothing else in that fucking movie is even fucking passable and it's a shame that he had to be stuck in those cement shoes.
Is you crazy baby, I gots to grind
Antero
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover
 
Posts: 11326
Joined: Wed May 18, 2005 8:54 am
Location: Hustle City, CA

Re: Film: Joker(2019)

Postby numberthirty on Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:08 am

Antero wrote:Also we all need to come to terms with the fact that The Dark Knight is an absolutely trash film with the sole exception of Heath Ledger's absolutely spectacular character/career/genre-defining performance. Fucking orchid growing out of a cowpat situation. Nothing else in that fucking movie is even fucking passable and it's a shame that he had to be stuck in those cement shoes.


Negative.

Tiny Lister.
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
User avatar
numberthirty
King Shit of Fuck Mountain
 
Posts: 20443
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:28 am

Re: Film: Joker(2019)

Postby Andrew. on Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:18 am

Someone report back on whether this is or at least passes for an alt-right anti-hero movie. Some stuff I see flittering around suggests it critiques Trump while other stuff suggests it's a story of some poor white dude who's set off by black women on public transit and goes off like an alt-right incel anti-hero or something.
User avatar
Andrew.
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero
 
Posts: 6727
Joined: Mon May 07, 2007 11:02 pm

Re: Film: Joker(2019)

Postby numberthirty on Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:13 am

Andrew. wrote:Someone report back on whether this is or at least passes for an alt-right anti-hero movie. Some stuff I see flittering around suggests it critiques Trump while other stuff suggests it's a story of some poor white dude who's set off by black women on public transit and goes off like an alt-right incel anti-hero or something.


While I've been trying avoid tripping over serious spoilers, one thing that I bumped my head on pointed to that it's not really going to be what is in red that winds up in the "Actual Motivations..." category.

In addition to that, I would right now tend to bet against that it will be a clean version of any one of the possibilities mentioned.
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
User avatar
numberthirty
King Shit of Fuck Mountain
 
Posts: 20443
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:28 am

Re: Film: Joker(2019)

Postby numberthirty on Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:15 am

Also probably depends on how much it leans on The King Of Comedy.
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
User avatar
numberthirty
King Shit of Fuck Mountain
 
Posts: 20443
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:28 am

Re: Film: Joker(2019)

Postby crustandcrumb on Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:41 pm

DrAwkward wrote:My understanding of how DC comics has handled it in recent years is that his origin in the comics got told and retconned and re-told so many times that they're all valid origins in the Joker's own mind, which was what Nolan was adapting with the Heath Ledger Joker's various "how i got these scars" stories. Not to mention the exposition early on where they explain that he has no ID, his fingerprints are burned away (or there's just no hit on them in police records, i forget), etc.


Great insight, thanks.
Sam wrote:i'm going to bootleg my own set with a Portastudio and upload/convert to .flac, burn and wrap the CD in a giant gatefold usb stick
User avatar
crustandcrumb
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
 
Posts: 2047
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:31 pm
Location: Mid-Michigan

Re: Film: Joker(2019)

Postby numberthirty on Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:05 pm

crustandcrumb wrote:
DrAwkward wrote:My understanding of how DC comics has handled it in recent years is that his origin in the comics got told and retconned and re-told so many times that they're all valid origins in the Joker's own mind, which was what Nolan was adapting with the Heath Ledger Joker's various "how i got these scars" stories. Not to mention the exposition early on where they explain that he has no ID, his fingerprints are burned away (or there's just no hit on them in police records, i forget), etc.


Great insight, thanks.


A bit of specifics here...

If you are aware of the "Watchmen" IP, Dr. Manhattan is a character who can essentially warp reality. A currently running story in the "Main" DC Universe has Dr. Manhattan having toyed with that universe's history from behind the scenes.

There are seeming three Jokers with their own individual backgrounds running around. All at the same time.

There's also The Killing Joke where it's creative team laid out what is a "Possible..." back story for the character. Minus the actual mental illness, it is something like the upcoming film. Revolves around the idea that all it takes is a single bad day to turn someone into The Joker. There, the character himself even seems to suspect that multiple stories of his background exist.

In addition to that, there was a "Joker" stand alone comic released the same year as The Dark Knight that seemed like it was developed an a track running alongside the film. It is set in it's own continuity, and feels a lot like the film. If anything, it may very well be a darker version of the character.

So, yeah. In recent times, DC has embraced the idea that there isn't just a single version of that character.
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
User avatar
numberthirty
King Shit of Fuck Mountain
 
Posts: 20443
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:28 am

Re: Film: Joker(2019)

Postby crustandcrumb on Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:12 pm

Did read Killing Joke; also saw the recent animated feature.

numberthirty wrote:In addition to that, there was a "Joker" stand alone comic released the same year as The Dark Knight that seemed like it was developed an a track running alongside the film. It is set in it's own continuity, and feels a lot like the film. If anything, it may very well be a darker version of the character.



Is this here what you're referencing? Would like to check it out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joker_(graphic_novel)
Sam wrote:i'm going to bootleg my own set with a Portastudio and upload/convert to .flac, burn and wrap the CD in a giant gatefold usb stick
User avatar
crustandcrumb
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
 
Posts: 2047
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:31 pm
Location: Mid-Michigan

Re: Film: Joker(2019)

Postby m3kcomp on Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:25 pm

How can you decide a movie is good or not before it's even been released?
m3kcomp
galloping gourmet
galloping gourmet
 
Posts: 290
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:24 pm

Re: Film: Joker(2019)

Postby numberthirty on Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:12 pm

crustandcrumb wrote:Did read Killing Joke; also saw the recent animated feature.

numberthirty wrote:In addition to that, there was a "Joker" stand alone comic released the same year as The Dark Knight that seemed like it was developed an a track running alongside the film. It is set in it's own continuity, and feels a lot like the film. If anything, it may very well be a darker version of the character.



Is this here what you're referencing?
Would like to check it out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joker_(graphic_novel)


It is.

Word to the wise, there are a couple of turns in the plot that are not for folks who have been through certain things. If you get about a third of the way in and are uncomfortable, I'd have to advise against finishing it.

Saying that as a fan of the creative team behind it. It is absolutely not for everyone.
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
User avatar
numberthirty
King Shit of Fuck Mountain
 
Posts: 20443
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:28 am

Re: Film: Joker(2019)

Postby placeholder on Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:15 am

I always assumed living in society as a gentleman gamer made him turn into the Joker and rise up.
User avatar
placeholder
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
 
Posts: 8046
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2003 2:06 pm

Re: Film: Joker(2019)

Postby righthanded on Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:43 pm

placeholder wrote:I always assumed living in society as a gentleman gamer made him turn into the Joker and rise up.

Yes. Joker 2019 has a youtube channel where he rates replica swords and talks about jordan peterson.
righthanded
freelance sperm donor
freelance sperm donor
 
Posts: 1429
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:38 am
Location: elizabeth, nj

Re: Film: Joker(2019)

Postby BClark on Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:07 pm

i want to see it but the hype around it is a little curious to me. of course many batman films and joaquin phoenix films have been hugely successful financially, with general audiences, and with critics. and the trailers do look interesting. still i can't help but notice how it's being treated as a foregone conclusion that this will be a great, classic film. for instance, there are more than a few articles like this: "Why the new Joker movie will blow you away in 2019", and the author does not seem to have seen the film at the festival screenings.

i remember once, being at a language-exchange kind of event in another country, someone brought up how he was a film buff and sees a new film almost every night, and that he had just seen The Revenant (then recently-released). and then most of us express our excitement to see it as well, and someone says "I think Leonardo DiCaprio should get an oscar for his role in that movie." I, curious to see the film, ask "have you seen it as well?" she says "well no, I've seen just the trailers."

that's the same kind of dynamic I think I see with all the media anticipation behind Joker.
I composed and produced the album California is Cold by Shahmen. Our song Poison has a video.
User avatar
BClark
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
 
Posts: 3093
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:29 pm
Location: nomadic

Re: Film: Joker(2019)

Postby A_Man_Who_Tries on Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:39 am

That's the same type of dynamic of much of modern pop culture, irrespective of its quality. Was it The Dark Knight rises where a couple of journalists received death threats, for less than glowing reviews, from fans who hadn't seen the movie? Fucking dolts.

Some six years back I did some work on something culturally big, if you like. It was a favour to a friend and wholly uncredited, and when the thing aired I STILL got a handful of capslock madness 4AM emails from furious nerds. I don't envy anybody being in that line of fire. It's exhausting stupid.
maintain a healthy foe list
User avatar
A_Man_Who_Tries
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast
 
Posts: 1258
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:08 pm

Re: Film: Joker(2019)

Postby TomTheBum on Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:08 am

i give all the recent movies crap even if i haven't seen them, because i just know they're gonna be garbage . and since life works by contradiction, even if they're good they're still pointless brainmelting hollywood assjuice. actually, often enough the better they are the worst they are like that inception/dark knight/ mad max crap with all their oscars and that. so i'm saying crap, another pseudo-intellectual pedoland mockery of the art of cinema ''with great character psychology and depth yet not seen in a superhero movie'' blah blah blah.
and why the fuck those creeps keep making those superhero movies all the time? even the comic book guy would be fed up by this time? like whit kind of cretin cares about origin of this or that buffoon character from some outdated kids comic?
TomTheBum
complete piece of shit
complete piece of shit
 
Posts: 142
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:37 pm

Re: Film: Joker(2019)

Postby atomjackfuser on Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:43 am

Apparently, the term "censoriousness" has flown over my head all these years.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2019/09/27/how-not-let-conversation-about-joker-drive-you-insane/
User avatar
atomjackfuser
suspicious flashlight
suspicious flashlight
 
Posts: 1389
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:37 pm
Location: Kansas City, Missouri

Re: Film: Joker(2019)

Postby thelonelymastodronus on Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:59 am

I thought it was pretty crap, kind of a chore to watch actually because you know how it's all going to turn out. I'm not sure what this movie is supposed to be because it isn't as flashy or entertaining as most other comic book movies and is not nearly as good as all those gritty 70s films it's inspired by.

It didn't really feel like a "Joker" movie, more like a movie about a person with severe mental illness who decides to go on some kind of anarchic vendetta, with some Batman universe elements thrown in just to remind the audience that this is a movie about a supposed supervillain.

I think the most interesting part of it was portraying Thomas Wayne as an unlikeable, douchy, corporate type, Wayne Enterprise employees as Wall Street type dicks and Alfred as a bit of an unsympathetic prick.
P.S. Your taste is in your ass
User avatar
thelonelymastodronus
treaty of versailles
treaty of versailles
 
Posts: 1079
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 1:14 pm
Location: among the house flies

Re: Film: Joker(2019)

Postby Ranxerox on Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:28 am

Andrew. wrote:Someone report back on whether this is or at least passes for an alt-right anti-hero movie. Some stuff I see flittering around suggests it critiques Trump while other stuff suggests it's a story of some poor white dude who's set off by black women on public transit and goes off like an alt-right incel anti-hero or something.


The Hangover had a strong element of 'white dorks in the colored underground,' which, if reflected off of the director's frat doc, might seem like a potential critique, but if simply watched, seems like a celebration adorned with the weirdness of non-whiteness.

I am warily looking forward to seeing this iteration of the Joker.
Ranxerox
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard
 
Posts: 1893
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2003 8:15 pm

Re: Film: Joker(2019)

Postby A_Man_Who_Tries on Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:31 am

The movie 2019 deserves, to be fair.
maintain a healthy foe list
User avatar
A_Man_Who_Tries
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast
 
Posts: 1258
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:08 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Nate Dort and 15 guests